Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why didn't Ipswich play in the super cup after 1981 Uefa Cup win 12:32 - May 31 with 3849 viewsBlue12345

I wasn’t born then and don’t seem to be able to find out from the internet. There wasn’t a final played that year.
Thanks in advance

This post has been edited by an administrator
Why didn’t Ipswich play in the super cup after 1981 Uefa Cup win on 12:37 - May 31 with 3828 viewsblueislander

Like you, I don’t think it existed then
Why didn’t Ipswich play in the super cup after 1981 Uefa Cup win on 12:40 - May 31 with 3821 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Because the Supercup was played by the winners of the Eurocean Cup and the Cup-winners Cup.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Why didn’t Ipswich play in the super cup after 1981 Uefa Cup win on 12:40 - May 31 with 3820 viewsParisBlue

It would have been between winners of European Cup (Liverpool) and Cup Winners Cup (Dinamo Tbilisi).

But it wasn't held because the two clubs could not agree a convenient date due to fixture congestion.

Seemingly it was played over 2 legs till 1997.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UEFA_Super_Cup_matches
[Post edited 31 May 2020 12:46]

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Why didn’t Ipswich play in the super cup after 1981 Uefa Cup win on 12:44 - May 31 with 3783 viewsKeno

Why didn’t Ipswich play in the super cup after 1981 Uefa Cup win on 12:40 - May 31 by ParisBlue

It would have been between winners of European Cup (Liverpool) and Cup Winners Cup (Dinamo Tbilisi).

But it wasn't held because the two clubs could not agree a convenient date due to fixture congestion.

Reminds me of the comedy sketch, can’t remember who by, taking the mickey out of sports night with the cup winners cup cup cup trophy

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Why didn’t Ipswich play in the super cup after 1981 Uefa Cup win on 12:44 - May 31 with 3783 viewssolemio

Why didn’t Ipswich play in the super cup after 1981 Uefa Cup win on 12:40 - May 31 by Tangledupin_Blue

Because the Supercup was played by the winners of the Eurocean Cup and the Cup-winners Cup.

And interestingly many neutrals thought quite rightly that the winners of the EUFA Cup that season were better than either of the other winners.
Why didn’t Ipswich play in the super cup after 1981 Uefa Cup win on 12:46 - May 31 with 3765 viewsmonty_radio

My impression is that these type of ultimate Cups are nothing of the sort. Had we been able to enter, and had we won, I don't think it would have merited a 4th star - though if I were from the neighbouring northern county, I'd doubtless be keener on the idea.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Why didn’t Ipswich play in the super cup after 1981 Uefa Cup win on 13:01 - May 31 with 3712 viewsBarcaBlue

Why didn’t Ipswich play in the super cup after 1981 Uefa Cup win on 12:44 - May 31 by solemio

And interestingly many neutrals thought quite rightly that the winners of the EUFA Cup that season were better than either of the other winners.

That Summer we were invited to the Joan Gamper tournament, the first English team to play in Barça's presentation.

https://www.fcbarcelona.com/en/news/1297307/english-teams-at-the-gamper

I read a while back there were over 100000 at the two opening matches, we lost to Cologne so didn't get to play Barça (they also lost but to Vasco de Gama).
Why didn’t Ipswich play in the super cup after 1981 Uefa Cup win on 13:26 - May 31 with 3673 viewsblueislander

Why didn’t Ipswich play in the super cup after 1981 Uefa Cup win on 12:44 - May 31 by solemio

The Eufa Cup was always a stronger competition than the Cup Winners Cup anyway.
Login to get fewer ads

Why didn’t Ipswich play in the super cup after 1981 Uefa Cup win on 14:20 - May 31 with 3591 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Why didn’t Ipswich play in the super cup after 1981 Uefa Cup win on 13:26 - May 31 by blueislander

I remember the likes of Newport County and Wrexham being in the C-W Cup. On at least one occasion Newport reached the quarter-finals. The competition was that tough!

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Why didn’t Ipswich play in the super cup after 1981 Uefa Cup win on 14:38 - May 31 with 3553 viewsParisBlue

Why didn’t Ipswich play in the super cup after 1981 Uefa Cup win on 14:20 - May 31 by Tangledupin_Blue

I remember the likes of Newport County and Wrexham being in the C-W Cup. On at least one occasion Newport reached the quarter-finals. The competition was that tough!

Newport got to the quarters in 1981...

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Why didn’t Ipswich play in the super cup after 1981 Uefa Cup win on 14:50 - May 31 with 3533 viewsNthQldITFC

Why didn’t Ipswich play in the super cup after 1981 Uefa Cup win on 13:26 - May 31 by blueislander

Was it John Motson who insisted on pronouncing it "Youfah cup"?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Why didn’t Ipswich play in the super cup after 1981 Uefa Cup win on 16:32 - May 31 with 3439 viewsLibero

Why didn’t Ipswich play in the super cup after 1981 Uefa Cup win on 14:50 - May 31 by NthQldITFC

Was it John Motson who insisted on pronouncing it "Youfah cup"?

I liked Rafa Benitez's version, "the ooh-waffa cup"
[Post edited 31 May 2020 16:32]
Why didn’t Ipswich play in the super cup after 1981 Uefa Cup win on 18:46 - May 31 with 3311 viewsRadlett_blue

Why didn’t Ipswich play in the super cup after 1981 Uefa Cup win on 12:40 - May 31 by Tangledupin_Blue

Probably the most pointless "competition" ever invented. The European Cup winners have already been crowned European Champions. So why get them to play the winners of a secondary trophy?

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Why didn’t Ipswich play in the super cup after 1981 Uefa Cup win on 09:27 - Dec 27 with 1486 viewsbournemouthblue

Out of interest, what was considered the second competition after the European Cup?

Did the UEFA Cup or Cup Winners Cup place second, there's a big debate going on on some Facebook forum I am on

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Why didn’t Ipswich play in the super cup after 1981 Uefa Cup win on 09:38 - Dec 27 with 1414 viewsDanny_G

Why didn’t Ipswich play in the super cup after 1981 Uefa Cup win on 09:27 - Dec 27 by bournemouthblue

Out of interest, what was considered the second competition after the European Cup?

Did the UEFA Cup or Cup Winners Cup place second, there's a big debate going on on some Facebook forum I am on

It would in theory have been the Cup Winners’ Cup as that took precedence if you qualified for both. E.g. if you finished third in the league and qualified for the UEFA Cup that way but also won the FA Cup and qualified for the Cup Winners’ Cup, you’d enter the Cup Winners’ Cup. In reality, there wasn’t much in it and the UEFA Cup was always regarded as the harder one to win.
[Post edited 27 Dec 2023 9:39]
Why didn’t Ipswich play in the super cup after 1981 Uefa Cup win on 10:09 - Dec 27 with 1328 viewsCoastalblue

Why didn’t Ipswich play in the super cup after 1981 Uefa Cup win on 09:27 - Dec 27 by bournemouthblue

Prestige wise the UEFA cup would probably have been seen as the better trophy and it was often considered the hardest to win, it tended to feature the teams who were performing at their best in that season.

The European Cup was obviously the big one, and indeed featured only the Champions in those days, but often they weren't the team that was to on to win a title that season being more of a snapshot of the previous season, some of those Champions would have lost players or form and would be chasing teams playing in the EUFA Cup.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Why didn’t Ipswich play in the super cup after 1981 Uefa Cup win on 10:58 - Dec 27 with 1227 viewsDanny_G

Why didn’t Ipswich play in the super cup after 1981 Uefa Cup win on 10:09 - Dec 27 by Coastalblue

Prestige wise the UEFA cup would probably have been seen as the better trophy and it was often considered the hardest to win, it tended to feature the teams who were performing at their best in that season.

The European Cup was obviously the big one, and indeed featured only the Champions in those days, but often they weren't the team that was to on to win a title that season being more of a snapshot of the previous season, some of those Champions would have lost players or form and would be chasing teams playing in the EUFA Cup.

There were also multiple teams from the strongest nations in the UEFA Cup, so it was usually harder to reach the latter stages. Whereas in the European Cup or Cup Winners’ Cup, you could make it to the semi finals by winning just three games, often without many major challenges.
Why didn’t Ipswich play in the super cup after 1981 Uefa Cup win on 11:07 - Dec 27 with 1202 viewsRadlett_blue

An utterly pointless competition, which adds another match to an already bloated schedule. The European Cup winner was always regarded as the Champion club of Europe, so why add a game against the winner of a secondary trophy? Thanks, UEFA.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Why didn’t Ipswich play in the super cup after 1981 Uefa Cup win on 11:19 - Dec 27 with 1181 viewsleitrimblue

Was it not because they were busy helping Pele and Sylvester Stallone lead the free world to victory against the nazis?
Why didn’t Ipswich play in the super cup after 1981 Uefa Cup win on 11:22 - Dec 27 with 1159 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

Why didn’t Ipswich play in the super cup after 1981 Uefa Cup win on 12:40 - May 31 by ParisBlue

So it should be awarded to Town on PPG?
Why didn’t Ipswich play in the super cup after 1981 Uefa Cup win on 12:02 - Dec 27 with 1049 viewsbournemouthblue

Why didn’t Ipswich play in the super cup after 1981 Uefa Cup win on 11:07 - Dec 27 by Radlett_blue

An utterly pointless competition, which adds another match to an already bloated schedule. The European Cup winner was always regarded as the Champion club of Europe, so why add a game against the winner of a secondary trophy? Thanks, UEFA.

It's essentially UEFA's Charity/Community Shield, all a bit pointless but fun if you ever get the chance I guess?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Why didn’t Ipswich play in the super cup after 1981 Uefa Cup win on 12:30 - Dec 27 with 985 viewsTrequartista

The fact it wasn't played because a date couldn't be found tells you everything you need to know about the prestigiousness of the UEFA Super Cup.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Why didn't Ipswich play in the super cup after 1981 Uefa Cup win on 13:38 - Dec 27 with 909 viewspatrickswell

Reading through this thread makes me proud of the fact that Ipswich are among the list of British clubs that played in all three European competitions.
Why didn't Ipswich play in the super cup after 1981 Uefa Cup win on 13:41 - Dec 27 with 899 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

Why didn't Ipswich play in the super cup after 1981 Uefa Cup win on 13:38 - Dec 27 by patrickswell

Reading through this thread makes me proud of the fact that Ipswich are among the list of British clubs that played in all three European competitions.

We never played in either the Intertoto or Conference though.
Why didn't Ipswich play in the super cup after 1981 Uefa Cup win on 17:23 - Dec 27 with 704 viewsbluefunk

Why didn't Ipswich play in the super cup after 1981 Uefa Cup win on 13:41 - Dec 27 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

We never played in either the Intertoto or Conference though.

Ignore me
[Post edited 27 Dec 2023 17:26]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024