Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Walk with us 08:00 - Jun 1 with 2609 viewsNewcyBlue

This is what people need more of.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2020 8:01]

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Walk with us on 08:14 - Jun 1 with 1824 viewsGuthrum

If that spreads wider, could be game-changing.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Walk with us on 08:19 - Jun 1 with 1816 viewsPlums

I’d be able watch that to the end if it wasn’t so dusty in here.

It's 106 miles to Portman Road, we've got a full tank of gas, half a round of Port Salut, it's dark... and we're wearing blue tinted sunglasses.
Poll: Which recent triallist should we have signed?

Walk with us on 08:22 - Jun 1 with 1812 viewsNewcyBlue

Walk with us on 08:14 - Jun 1 by Guthrum

If that spreads wider, could be game-changing.

Superb isn’t it.

Then there is this

Some of the stuff doing the rounds about the riots and protesting going on over there has been rather inflammatory.

Walk with us on 08:58 - Jun 1 with 1741 viewsSteve_M

It's very powerful.

This is a good thread too:

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Walk with us on 09:02 - Jun 1 with 1730 viewsNewcyBlue

Walk with us on 08:58 - Jun 1 by Steve_M

It's very powerful.

This is a good thread too:

I hadn’t seen that Steve, thanks.

It just shows there is an alternative.

Walk with us on 09:41 - Jun 1 with 1692 viewsEdwardStone

Inspirational

Well done Mr Cop
Walk with us on 09:56 - Jun 1 with 1672 viewsStokieBlue

That is excellent and something hopefully we will see a lot more over the coming days. It needs individuals in these positions to stand up like this sheriff has and take the initiative away from Trump and his nonsense. He mustn't be allowed to turn the protest to his own ends with his lies and bluster.

That crowd is a worry though, they are all close and the cops are shaking hands with everyone. 17 states reported an increase in C19 this week with most of them at their highest levels yet seen.

Fully understand that isn't really a priority for people at the moment though and probably wouldn't be for me in the same situation.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Walk with us on 10:00 - Jun 1 with 1659 viewsuefacup81

And then there's this as well:

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Login to get fewer ads

Walk with us on 10:32 - Jun 1 with 1608 viewsKeno

Walk with us on 08:19 - Jun 1 by Plums

I’d be able watch that to the end if it wasn’t so dusty in here.

the dust cloud must be spreading

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Walk with us on 10:54 - Jun 1 with 1577 viewsDarth_Koont

Indeed. The guy's a star.

Rather than saying to black people they just need to be peaceful or use the ballot box, it helps immeasurably if the white population and the notional representatives of the Establishment like the police or elected politicians accept the pain and anger and validate those feelings.

Just like in this situation, people need to join in rather than trying to regulate and limit the response from the outside. And white people also need to act at the ballot box.

Otherwise, it's a pretty inescapable perception for the black population that this is a minority fighting the majority and that society is the enemy.

The divisions aren't as bad here in the UK but we shouldn't be complacent on that score. We've still got a fair ways to go as a majority and as an Establishment.

Pronouns: He/Him

Walk with us on 10:56 - Jun 1 with 1571 viewsmonytowbray

The whole system is toppling. Or we're about to be hideously oppressed.

I think this goes beyond just BLM now, it's starting to feel like an entire nation fed up of the rich running riot.

All this ties into Brexit too on this side of the fence.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Walk with us on 11:07 - Jun 1 with 1532 viewsNewcyBlue

Walk with us on 10:54 - Jun 1 by Darth_Koont

Indeed. The guy's a star.

Rather than saying to black people they just need to be peaceful or use the ballot box, it helps immeasurably if the white population and the notional representatives of the Establishment like the police or elected politicians accept the pain and anger and validate those feelings.

Just like in this situation, people need to join in rather than trying to regulate and limit the response from the outside. And white people also need to act at the ballot box.

Otherwise, it's a pretty inescapable perception for the black population that this is a minority fighting the majority and that society is the enemy.

The divisions aren't as bad here in the UK but we shouldn't be complacent on that score. We've still got a fair ways to go as a majority and as an Establishment.

MrsN has been on the end of racism. I’ve reacted badly to seeing that too. It’s not as bad as things are in the States, but we are not a harmonious nation. I think with the current shower that are in government at the moment things will get worse before they get better.

I see Farage is out patrolling the Channel now. Unfortunately my next ship doesn’t go via the channel or I would try to run him down.

There is a #BlackLivesMatter demo in Newcastle on Saturday. If it wasn’t for COVID we would have taken Seb along. But what with MrsN being pregnant with twins, and the dangers of COVID, we are going to continue our isolation.

There are many videos and pictures of people doing stuff like in the OP, but they don’t make for as good news and social media outrage.

You know the community level stuff is my thing, I think a community led effort would go a long way to healing things.

Whilst also I acknowledge that a job such as police will attract some absolute wrong ‘uns. There needs to be a better vetting process, and a better process of removing people that are using powers to further their prejudices.

Apologies if this seemed rambling or mixed up. MrsN was quite sick through the night. The twins didn’t like dinner yesterday it seems.

Walk with us on 11:11 - Jun 1 with 1516 viewsNewcyBlue

Walk with us on 10:56 - Jun 1 by monytowbray

The whole system is toppling. Or we're about to be hideously oppressed.

I think this goes beyond just BLM now, it's starting to feel like an entire nation fed up of the rich running riot.

All this ties into Brexit too on this side of the fence.

I think the video in the OP shows how the system SHOULD and CAN work.

Right now, this shouldn’t go beyond BLM. It’s important not to lose sight of what led to the current situation.

Agreed on Brexit, however, I do acknowledge that there are some Brexiteers who believe that Brexit will allow a greater flow of people from all over the world. Whilst I don’t agree that was the aim of Brexit, it’s a fair ideal.

Walk with us on 11:19 - Jun 1 with 1495 viewsDarth_Koont

Walk with us on 11:07 - Jun 1 by NewcyBlue

MrsN has been on the end of racism. I’ve reacted badly to seeing that too. It’s not as bad as things are in the States, but we are not a harmonious nation. I think with the current shower that are in government at the moment things will get worse before they get better.

I see Farage is out patrolling the Channel now. Unfortunately my next ship doesn’t go via the channel or I would try to run him down.

There is a #BlackLivesMatter demo in Newcastle on Saturday. If it wasn’t for COVID we would have taken Seb along. But what with MrsN being pregnant with twins, and the dangers of COVID, we are going to continue our isolation.

There are many videos and pictures of people doing stuff like in the OP, but they don’t make for as good news and social media outrage.

You know the community level stuff is my thing, I think a community led effort would go a long way to healing things.

Whilst also I acknowledge that a job such as police will attract some absolute wrong ‘uns. There needs to be a better vetting process, and a better process of removing people that are using powers to further their prejudices.

Apologies if this seemed rambling or mixed up. MrsN was quite sick through the night. The twins didn’t like dinner yesterday it seems.

No, you're right that there's a need at a community level to show that the enemy isn't your neighbour, your local police or your local politician. Just like this guy does and it will go a long way to helping change.

But there's still a systemic problem at a state and national level. If people don't join forces at that level then the powers and values that encourage inequality will remain.

Not to mention the populist, hate-preaching rhetoric coming from the very top nowadays. To see those unbalanced powers and values celebrated and rewarded in the form of Donald Trump as President (or a Farage or a BoJo to a lesser but still critical extent) must be unbelievably insulting and frustrating.

Walk with us on 11:30 - Jun 1 with 1480 viewsNewcyBlue

Walk with us on 11:19 - Jun 1 by Darth_Koont

No, you're right that there's a need at a community level to show that the enemy isn't your neighbour, your local police or your local politician. Just like this guy does and it will go a long way to helping change.

But there's still a systemic problem at a state and national level. If people don't join forces at that level then the powers and values that encourage inequality will remain.

Not to mention the populist, hate-preaching rhetoric coming from the very top nowadays. To see those unbalanced powers and values celebrated and rewarded in the form of Donald Trump as President (or a Farage or a BoJo to a lesser but still critical extent) must be unbelievably insulting and frustrating.

I would hope that community led efforts would effect change higher up.

The populist, hate preaching rhetoric needs to be challenged more, especially by the media.

Walk with us on 11:30 - Jun 1 with 1480 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

This is good to see.

Togetherness, not division.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Walk with us on 11:38 - Jun 1 with 1462 viewsChutney

Of course the media wont show this, they'll continue to show shops being looted and restaurants burned down because this doesn't suit their narrative.
Walk with us on 11:41 - Jun 1 with 1452 viewsLankHenners

Walk with us on 11:38 - Jun 1 by Chutney

Of course the media wont show this, they'll continue to show shops being looted and restaurants burned down because this doesn't suit their narrative.

The BBC News at 10 dedicated time last night to showing peaceful protests, as well as 2 correspondents stressing that there are mass peaceful protests going on across the US as well as other countries like the UK and Germany.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Walk with us on 11:44 - Jun 1 with 1425 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Walk with us on 11:38 - Jun 1 by Chutney

The reports I have seen have been quite balanced.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Walk with us on 11:47 - Jun 1 with 1411 viewsChutney

Walk with us on 11:41 - Jun 1 by LankHenners

The BBC News at 10 dedicated time last night to showing peaceful protests, as well as 2 correspondents stressing that there are mass peaceful protests going on across the US as well as other countries like the UK and Germany.

Good. There's nowhere near enough of it.

I just flicked onto the BBC website, open the 'world' tab and what image greets you? US flag, flames and the headline 'violence erupts across US on sixth day of protests'. Don't get me wrong, there's a need to report the news but there's nowhere near enough coverage of positive news stories. There's countless examples.
Walk with us on 11:48 - Jun 1 with 1406 viewsDarth_Koont

Walk with us on 11:44 - Jun 1 by Marshalls_Mullet

The reports I have seen have been quite balanced.

Indeed. And importantly too for understanding the whole picture.

People need to understand the underlying anger, frustration and division just as they need to see that a majority of protesters want a constructive and peaceful solution.

Walk with us on 11:53 - Jun 1 with 1371 viewsmonytowbray

Walk with us on 11:48 - Jun 1 by Darth_Koont

People need to understand the underlying anger, frustration and division just as they need to see that a majority of protesters want a constructive and peaceful solution.

If violence is not the answer, stop allowing it to get to the point where it becomes the only answer.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Walk with us on 11:55 - Jun 1 with 1364 viewsLankHenners

Walk with us on 11:47 - Jun 1 by Chutney

Good. There's nowhere near enough of it.

I just flicked onto the BBC website, open the 'world' tab and what image greets you? US flag, flames and the headline 'violence erupts across US on sixth day of protests'. Don't get me wrong, there's a need to report the news but there's nowhere near enough coverage of positive news stories. There's countless examples.

The protests are the story though, they have to run with that and build up a picture of the event with other things. They can't just run wall-to-wall coverage of peaceful protests and pretend the violence isn't a big deal.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Walk with us on 12:02 - Jun 1 with 1344 viewsChutney

Walk with us on 11:48 - Jun 1 by Darth_Koont

I'm not disputing that, there's absolutely a need to report on what's happening. I think the media have a huge role to play in how public sentiment reacts to such events, and looking at the front pages I fear that opportunistic looting and burned out police cars is getting more air time than actually understanding whats driving such division and resentment, which are all valid protests on behalf of the black and minority communities in US who are victimised by institutionally racist governments and police. The good news stories are more effective at educating on that point. It's nothing new though, lets be honest. I don't recall many white on white crimes being reported in mainstream media.
Walk with us on 12:07 - Jun 1 with 1320 viewsDarth_Koont

Walk with us on 12:02 - Jun 1 by Chutney

I'm not disputing that, there's absolutely a need to report on what's happening. I think the media have a huge role to play in how public sentiment reacts to such events, and looking at the front pages I fear that opportunistic looting and burned out police cars is getting more air time than actually understanding whats driving such division and resentment, which are all valid protests on behalf of the black and minority communities in US who are victimised by institutionally racist governments and police. The good news stories are more effective at educating on that point. It's nothing new though, lets be honest. I don't recall many white on white crimes being reported in mainstream media.

To be honest, we wouldn't be talking about it without the anger overspilling and a general loss of order. I don't agree with that per se but that's the reality.

It's up to each and every one of us to understand and respect what's driving such division and resentment. It's not as if it's a secret and the wider population haven't been complicit.
'
And to be honest I think it's a bit rich for people deciding what is acceptable protest after all the peaceful protest that has already been ignored.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024