Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hmmm Tyrone... 09:24 - Jun 1 with 2905 viewssparks

You are right- the restart is financially driven. And it is questionable (but not dissimilar to vast majority of other places of work) that the players are the last to be consulted.

The reason it is financially driven though, is that clubs need to pay their enormous outgoings. Which are primarily players' wages. Its not as if most clubs are making big profits, once player costs are included.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Hmmm Tyrone... on 09:28 - Jun 1 with 2861 viewsKeno

well said

perhaps the players could offer to have a pay cut for a few months to ease the financial pressure ........... oh..........

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Hmmm Tyrone... on 09:38 - Jun 1 with 2808 viewsTractorWood

Massive fan of him but people on £60k-£200k, whilst getting a test every 24 hours with probably the best healthcare available in the world are not going to get much sympathy.

Football as a whole has proved to be one tone-deaf bubble.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2020 9:38]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Hmmm Tyrone... on 09:41 - Jun 1 with 2780 viewsPrideOfTheEast

My first thought too and of course none of them are being forced to do anything, and all of them, especially at that level, are being far better protected than a big amount of the population will be when they go back to work.
Hmmm Tyrone... on 09:43 - Jun 1 with 2766 viewsitfcjoe

Yep, it's difficult to have much sympathy with the top players in this situation, unless genuine health concerns which have been expressed.

Very different in L1 when players earning £50-100k a year and some fans think they should go and live in a hotel for a few weeks etc, but when you are earning that a week, the whole game and it's return is built around being able to continue to pay those wages.

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Hmmm Tyrone... on 09:53 - Jun 1 with 2737 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Indeed.

None of the players gave any help to ease the club's burden when asked.

And football will be one of the safest places to work with twice weekly testing.

I have sympathy with Troy Denney and Ngolo Kante, and their clubs were happy for them to stay away. And they have both know said they have the comfort to proceed.

Who would have thought that the gravy train that is football is financially driven...

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Hmmm Tyrone... on 10:00 - Jun 1 with 2705 viewsSitfcB

He could always choose not to play.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Hmmm Tyrone... on 10:14 - Jun 1 with 2664 viewsgiant_stow

Hmmm Tyrone... on 09:43 - Jun 1 by itfcjoe

Yep, it's difficult to have much sympathy with the top players in this situation, unless genuine health concerns which have been expressed.

Very different in L1 when players earning £50-100k a year and some fans think they should go and live in a hotel for a few weeks etc, but when you are earning that a week, the whole game and it's return is built around being able to continue to pay those wages.

I'm guessing those players should get used to the idea of being on £30-60k a year sooner or later.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Hmmm Tyrone... on 10:15 - Jun 1 with 2659 viewsChrisd

I've said this before, this is why football needs a complete reset financially. The way clubs are run, especially in the Championship, is financial suicide. This is a real opportunity to actually do something to wrestle away the power players have with their huge salaries and give some semblance of control back to the clubs. The problem I foresee, is actually trying to get this agreed as it needs to be collectively done, not just the odd league here and there.In addition, league authorities need to enforce strict penalties if clubs break the financial structure, at the moment it's too liberal look at the debacle of the FFP, clubs just seem able to get away with it.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2020 10:19]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Login to get fewer ads

Hmmm Tyrone... on 10:17 - Jun 1 with 2650 viewssparks

Hmmm Tyrone... on 10:15 - Jun 1 by Chrisd

I've said this before, this is why football needs a complete reset financially. The way clubs are run, especially in the Championship, is financial suicide. This is a real opportunity to actually do something to wrestle away the power players have with their huge salaries and give some semblance of control back to the clubs. The problem I foresee, is actually trying to get this agreed as it needs to be collectively done, not just the odd league here and there.In addition, league authorities need to enforce strict penalties if clubs break the financial structure, at the moment it's too liberal look at the debacle of the FFP, clubs just seem able to get away with it.

Quite- it will never happen. Because clubs like Man City would lose some of their huge advantage.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Hmmm Tyrone... on 10:19 - Jun 1 with 2633 viewsSwansea_Blue

There has been some rays of sunshine - Marcus Rashford for one. I also have some sympathy with the argument that footballers have been singled out.

Article here talks through some of the moral issues around this - https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/marcus-rashford-has-grabbed-stereotypes-and-t

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Hmmm Tyrone... on 10:20 - Jun 1 with 2628 viewsbournemouthblue

Hmmm Tyrone... on 09:43 - Jun 1 by itfcjoe

What is the average wage for a League One player nowadays? Our top earners will be on significantly more than that

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

Hmmm Tyrone... on 10:23 - Jun 1 with 2614 viewsitfcjoe

Hmmm Tyrone... on 10:20 - Jun 1 by bournemouthblue

What is the average wage for a League One player nowadays? Our top earners will be on significantly more than that

Our top earners may be £5-6k a week, but there isn't silly money kicking about in this lague on the whole

Hmmm Tyrone... on 10:24 - Jun 1 with 2609 viewsitfcjoe

Hmmm Tyrone... on 10:15 - Jun 1 by Chrisd

It's only really the Championship that is an utter mess, the leagues above and below that generally see clubs living within their means, or within the means of their owner.

Hmmm Tyrone... on 10:39 - Jun 1 with 2559 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Hmmm Tyrone... on 10:24 - Jun 1 by itfcjoe

It's only really the Championship that is an utter mess, the leagues above and below that generally see clubs living within their means, or within the means of their owner.

Agreed, although the Championship issues are driven by their proximity to the Prem.

Primarily the issue of parachute payments unbalancing the integrity of the competition.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Hmmm Tyrone... on 10:42 - Jun 1 with 2548 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

It is financially driven, everything in football is financially driven.

I am sure he had/has no problem with everything being financially driven when he receives lucrative contracts.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

Hmmm Tyrone... on 10:48 - Jun 1 with 2527 viewshype313

Hmmm Tyrone... on 10:42 - Jun 1 by TheTrueBlue1878

It is financially driven, everything in football is financially driven.

I am sure he had/has no problem with everything being financially driven when he receives lucrative contracts.

To be fair he did say he benefits from high salary so doesn't have an issue with it.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Hmmm Tyrone... on 10:49 - Jun 1 with 2517 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Hmmm Tyrone... on 10:48 - Jun 1 by hype313

To be fair he did say he benefits from high salary so doesn't have an issue with it.

He did counter nearly all of his statements by saying 'I dont have an issue with that'...

...which begs the questions, what was the point of the statement?

Hmmm Tyrone... on 11:50 - Jun 1 with 2419 viewsBrianTablet

Hmmm Tyrone... on 10:49 - Jun 1 by Marshalls_Mullet

He did counter nearly all of his statements by saying 'I dont have an issue with that'...

Sounds like he's got hay fever.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2020 11:51]

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Hmmm Tyrone... on 13:45 - Jun 1 with 2285 viewsChrisd

Hmmm Tyrone... on 10:24 - Jun 1 by itfcjoe

Sadly, there's plenty of clubs in a mess and not just in the Championship.

Hmmm Tyrone... on 13:49 - Jun 1 with 2273 viewsitfcjoe

Hmmm Tyrone... on 13:45 - Jun 1 by Chrisd

Sadly, there's plenty of clubs in a mess and not just in the Championship.

But the financial model broadly works outside the Championship

Hmmm Tyrone... on 14:04 - Jun 1 with 2238 viewsChrisd

Hmmm Tyrone... on 13:49 - Jun 1 by itfcjoe

But the financial model broadly works outside the Championship

Still room for improvement Joe. I like the L1 model, but there's still a lot of clubs that are on financial knife edge, even in the lower leagues. I suppose it's more the governance of it and if clubs push the boundaries by overstepping the mark then they are penalised and it's followed through.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2020 14:08]

Hmmm Tyrone... on 14:15 - Jun 1 with 2213 viewsitfcjoe

Hmmm Tyrone... on 14:04 - Jun 1 by Chrisd

Still room for improvement Joe. I like the L1 model, but there's still a lot of clubs that are on financial knife edge, even in the lower leagues. I suppose it's more the governance of it and if clubs push the boundaries by overstepping the mark then they are penalised and it's followed through.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2020 14:08]

They are businesses with different strategies, we aren;t going to go back to the days of amateurs

Hmmm Tyrone... on 14:18 - Jun 1 with 2201 viewsLankHenners

Hmmm Tyrone... on 10:49 - Jun 1 by Marshalls_Mullet

True, it'd be like someone starting to make a point but then saying 'agree to differ' whenever they're countered.

Might as well not bother saying anything at all.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Hmmm Tyrone... on 17:10 - Jun 1 with 2068 viewsChrisd

Hmmm Tyrone... on 14:15 - Jun 1 by itfcjoe

They are businesses with different strategies, we aren;t going to go back to the days of amateurs

I'm not looking at amateur status and I wouldn't say that it works fine outside the Championship either. Just look at how many L1 clubs alone can't complete this season. Appreciate this situation is unique, but if they had more surplus, then finding that extra wouldn't be a problem.

Hmmm Tyrone... on 17:50 - Jun 2 with 1731 viewsbournemouthblue

Hmmm Tyrone... on 10:23 - Jun 1 by itfcjoe

Our top earners may be £5-6k a week, but there isn't silly money kicking about in this lague on the whole

Norwood is on quite a bit more than that, so I have been told

But given they reckoned Fleetwood had a higher wage bill than us and we are only paying about mid-table wages, we clearly aren't paying a huge amount

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024