Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Good news everyone! 17:32 - Jun 1 with 1865 viewsBlueBadger

We're not the worst in the world!

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/coronavirus-lockdown-sweden-deat

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Good news everyone! on 17:48 - Jun 1 with 1787 viewsSwansea_Blue

Is this the same Sweden highlighted by the anti-lockdowners as an example of how we should have acted?

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Good news everyone! on 17:54 - Jun 1 with 1763 viewsBlueBadger

Good news everyone! on 17:48 - Jun 1 by Swansea_Blue

Is this the same Sweden highlighted by the anti-lockdowners as an example of how we should have acted?

Yep, Sweden with a population density of 24 per square kilometre. Imagine the carnage here with a population density more than ten times that.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Good news everyone! on 17:56 - Jun 1 with 1757 viewsBluesquid

Good news everyone! on 18:00 - Jun 1 with 1739 viewsBlueBadger

Good news everyone! on 17:56 - Jun 1 by Bluesquid

And it only took them the highest death rate in the world to achieve it!

Good news everyone! on 18:05 - Jun 1 with 1721 viewsFtnfwest

Infection rate wise we really are about average overall (albeit the current rate is a bit higher than most). It’s the death rate that’s one of the highest. Age? Half again as many adults obese than comparable countries? Care homes fiasco. Probably a bit of all those and other stuff.
EDIT Sweden has got double the infection rate of everyone else, but still way behind Brazil which is frightening at the moment.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2020 18:07]
Good news everyone! on 18:15 - Jun 1 with 1677 viewsm14_blue

Good news everyone! on 18:05 - Jun 1 by Ftnfwest

Infection rate wise we really are about average overall (albeit the current rate is a bit higher than most). It’s the death rate that’s one of the highest. Age? Half again as many adults obese than comparable countries? Care homes fiasco. Probably a bit of all those and other stuff.
EDIT Sweden has got double the infection rate of everyone else, but still way behind Brazil which is frightening at the moment.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2020 18:07]

I think infection rates are difficult to compare really due to the wildly differing approaches to testing.
Good news everyone! on 18:18 - Jun 1 with 1661 viewsBluesquid

Good news everyone! on 18:00 - Jun 1 by BlueBadger

And it only took them the highest death rate in the world to achieve it!

But they haven't got the highest death rate in the world.

Several countries including Belgium (full lockdown Belgium nearly double Swedens) and the UK have higher rates, from the Johns Hopkins University last update June 1st.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-51235105
Good news everyone! on 18:23 - Jun 1 with 1654 viewsSwansea_Blue

"Marching relentlessly down to zero, just as we are." Er, "we" presumably isn't the UK as our daily deaths are 4x higher than the next in Europe and we're a loooong way from zero (about 180-200 days at the current rate of decline).

And that guy's feed - it's like the love child of Nigel Farage and Katie Hopkins . No wonder we're fecked if there are people spreading this crap and others believing it.

Login to get fewer ads

Good news everyone! on 18:33 - Jun 1 with 1605 viewsBluesquid

Good news everyone! on 18:23 - Jun 1 by Swansea_Blue

"Marching relentlessly down to zero, just as we are." Er, "we" presumably isn't the UK as our daily deaths are 4x higher than the next in Europe and we're a loooong way from zero (about 180-200 days at the current rate of decline).

And that guy's feed - it's like the love child of Nigel Farage and Katie Hopkins . No wonder we're fecked if there are people spreading this crap and others believing it.

"that guys feed", lol anything to avoid looking at the stats.

Btw the stats are from the Official Swedish Health Authority.
Good news everyone! on 18:36 - Jun 1 with 1590 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Good news everyone! on 18:15 - Jun 1 by m14_blue

I think infection rates are difficult to compare really due to the wildly differing approaches to testing.

I think the same applies to the official Coronavirus death rates given the differences in recording

Excess deaths looks to be the biggest indicator, both as it removes those differences and will also capture deaths which aren’t caused by Coronavirus but occur as a result of measures introduced to combat (eg. Cancelling of hospital appointments). Looking at that paints a pretty grim picture for the UK currently

The caveats of course are that any natural fluctuation would be captured, and there is probably an argument that it needs to be monitored over a longer period to get the full picture. Of course, there are also some countries for which even these figures would have to be taken with a pinch of salt too

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Good news everyone! on 18:41 - Jun 1 with 1566 viewsm14_blue

Good news everyone! on 18:36 - Jun 1 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I think the same applies to the official Coronavirus death rates given the differences in recording

Excess deaths looks to be the biggest indicator, both as it removes those differences and will also capture deaths which aren’t caused by Coronavirus but occur as a result of measures introduced to combat (eg. Cancelling of hospital appointments). Looking at that paints a pretty grim picture for the UK currently

The caveats of course are that any natural fluctuation would be captured, and there is probably an argument that it needs to be monitored over a longer period to get the full picture. Of course, there are also some countries for which even these figures would have to be taken with a pinch of salt too

Yep, agree with that.
Good news everyone! on 18:52 - Jun 1 with 1532 viewsSwansea_Blue

Good news everyone! on 18:33 - Jun 1 by Bluesquid

"that guys feed", lol anything to avoid looking at the stats.

Btw the stats are from the Official Swedish Health Authority.

I have looked at some stats, rather than one graph posted by a random on Twitter. There's an article here that seems to provide a reasonable explanation of the different types of metric coming out of the Swedish data and what may be affecting them. Amongst other things it'll explain the difference between total deaths and death rate and why one doesn't disprove the other.

https://www.businessinsider.com/sweden-coronavirus-per-capita-death-rate-among-h

Good news everyone! on 19:58 - Jun 1 with 1426 viewsBluesquid

Good news everyone! on 18:52 - Jun 1 by Swansea_Blue

I have looked at some stats, rather than one graph posted by a random on Twitter. There's an article here that seems to provide a reasonable explanation of the different types of metric coming out of the Swedish data and what may be affecting them. Amongst other things it'll explain the difference between total deaths and death rate and why one doesn't disprove the other.

https://www.businessinsider.com/sweden-coronavirus-per-capita-death-rate-among-h

Yes the data there at that link tally's roughly with the up to date Johns Hopkins data at the BBC which i linked to earlier.

With Sweden behind Belgium, UK, Spain, Italy and France regarding the death rate.

Interestingly full lockdown Belgium has a death rate of 82.6 with Sweden at 44.2.

So certainly not a good rate for Sweden but nonetheless not the highest death rate in the world as a certain poster has claimed.
Good news everyone! on 20:37 - Jun 1 with 1366 viewsSwansea_Blue

Maybe they'll end up being free of it before most other countries if their immunity rates are accurate and herd immunity pays off. They'll then need to decide if the death price was worth it. I'm not sure what the answer to that will be - suppose it depends who you ask.

Good news everyone! on 20:46 - Jun 1 with 1346 viewsTrequartista

How do they work that out?

UK population 66.6 million, Sweden population 10.2 million
UK deaths 38K+ Sweden deaths 4.5K

So we have between 6 and 7 times as many people and over 8 times as many deaths?

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Good news everyone! on 20:49 - Jun 1 with 1337 viewsjeera

Good news everyone! on 20:46 - Jun 1 by Trequartista

So we have between 6 and 7 times as many people and over 8 times as many deaths?

Over the past 7 days I think.

So more current in that respect?

Don't quote me, I may have got that wrong and haven't paid much attention myself.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Good news everyone! on 20:49 - Jun 1 with 1336 viewsSwansea_Blue

Good news everyone! on 20:46 - Jun 1 by Trequartista

It's based on the daily rate I think, not totals.

But yeah, we're not doing too good either.

Good news everyone! on 20:54 - Jun 1 with 1324 viewsTrequartista

Good news everyone! on 20:49 - Jun 1 by jeera

Over the past 7 days I think.

So more current in that respect?

Don't quote me, I may have got that wrong and haven't paid much attention myself.

Ah ok. It's quite an ambiguous article. Well form is temporary, class is permanent, we can back on top of the league again.

Good news everyone! on 20:55 - Jun 1 with 1316 viewsTrequartista

what? now i'm totally confused.

Good news everyone! on 21:02 - Jun 1 with 1300 viewsTrequartista

Good news everyone! on 20:49 - Jun 1 by Swansea_Blue

It's based on the daily rate I think, not totals.

But yeah, we're not doing too good either.

But their daily rate is dropping - just 5 deaths on 27th May

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_pandemic_in_Sweden

Yet again, we cannot believe anything.

Good news everyone! on 21:04 - Jun 1 with 1290 viewspointofblue

Good news everyone! on 20:37 - Jun 1 by Swansea_Blue

Maybe they'll end up being free of it before most other countries if their immunity rates are accurate and herd immunity pays off. They'll then need to decide if the death price was worth it. I'm not sure what the answer to that will be - suppose it depends who you ask.

The focus will be then on the economic fallout - sadly it’ll all come down to money.

Of course the route everyone should have taken was New Zealand’s. Lockdown early, lockdown hard.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Good news everyone! on 21:12 - Jun 1 with 1261 viewsBluesquid

Good news everyone! on 20:55 - Jun 1 by Trequartista

what? now i'm totally confused.

It's best to bypass the media and go directly to the relevant country's Official Health Authority in this case Sweden's.
Good news everyone! on 21:58 - Jun 1 with 1187 viewsSwansea_Blue

Good news everyone! on 21:02 - Jun 1 by Trequartista

But their daily rate is dropping - just 5 deaths on 27th May

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_pandemic_in_Sweden

Yet again, we cannot believe anything.

It's deaths per million, using a 7 day rolling average, over the last week up to 29th May (I think). It is what it is, but is one of many stats.

5 deaths on 27th May is just on one day, raw number of deaths. This is the rate per million, averaged out of the last 7 days. It smooths the huge daily variation in their figures and provides a figure allowing a more reasonable like-for-like comparison to other countries. (Although there are errors in all of these figures depending how data are collected and reported).

I think this is believable. Lies damn lies and statistics though, as if you were to look at other stats Sweden won't be anywhere near the top. For example, total deaths they're well below the UK, the US, France, Spain, Italy, etc. But we've all got much larger populations. Their total death rate for the whole period won't be at the top either - that'll probably go to some small country with a lower number of total deaths but very small population.

It's just different ways of looking at the data. The example here shows how deaths per million people varies between countries over the last 7 days, that's all. It gives a recent picture.

Good news everyone! on 23:26 - Jun 1 with 1115 viewsTrequartista

Good news everyone! on 21:58 - Jun 1 by Swansea_Blue

It's deaths per million, using a 7 day rolling average, over the last week up to 29th May (I think). It is what it is, but is one of many stats.

5 deaths on 27th May is just on one day, raw number of deaths. This is the rate per million, averaged out of the last 7 days. It smooths the huge daily variation in their figures and provides a figure allowing a more reasonable like-for-like comparison to other countries. (Although there are errors in all of these figures depending how data are collected and reported).

I think this is believable. Lies damn lies and statistics though, as if you were to look at other stats Sweden won't be anywhere near the top. For example, total deaths they're well below the UK, the US, France, Spain, Italy, etc. But we've all got much larger populations. Their total death rate for the whole period won't be at the top either - that'll probably go to some small country with a lower number of total deaths but very small population.

It's just different ways of looking at the data. The example here shows how deaths per million people varies between countries over the last 7 days, that's all. It gives a recent picture.

ok, just take the 7 days up to 27 May, the deaths in Sweden were 49,39,27,23,15,13,5. The average is 24.4. The deaths in the UK in the same period was 338,351,282,118,121,134,412 The average is 250.9

Over ten times higher with six times as many people.

I feel more and more as though the article is being put forward as proof that no lockdown was a disaster, but it's totally flawed.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2020 23:28]

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024