Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Parental dilemma 19:23 - Jun 1 with 4249 viewsGlasgowBlue

My 13 year old daughter wants to go to a Black Lives Matter protest in Glasgow city centre next week.

Mrs GB and I are concerned that if it kicks off she could be caught in the middle.

What say the board?

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Parental dilemma on 19:25 - Jun 1 with 3373 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Go with her....being middle class she will definitely riot if you don't.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Parental dilemma on 19:26 - Jun 1 with 3375 viewsJ2BLUE

Good for her but she's too young IMO unless someone is going with her. We're also in the middle of a pandemic so it's not a great idea.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Parental dilemma on 19:30 - Jun 1 with 3335 viewsclive_baker

Good on her, you've clearly raised her well.

I would suggest there are other, less dangerous ways that she could help make a difference on this one though, especially given the circumstances.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Parental dilemma on 19:32 - Jun 1 with 3318 viewsGlasgowBlue

Parental dilemma on 19:26 - Jun 1 by J2BLUE

Good for her but she's too young IMO unless someone is going with her. We're also in the middle of a pandemic so it's not a great idea.

The social distancing is also a concern but her getting caught up in a riot is my main worry.

I did suggest going with her but it's a group of three or four of them and they don't wan't square parents anywhere near them.

Iron Lion Zion

Parental dilemma on 19:39 - Jun 1 with 3284 viewsfooters

I went on my first demo when I was 11 :)

Sure, a load of brainless tossers heckled us, but what does that matter? We were standing up for what we thought was right. Your daughter should do the same.

Likelihood of it kicking off here: minimum to nil. If it does, I'm sure a mature 13-year-old could handle it.

Just make sure you cover your faces so the FIT squad don't record you. Sometimes they go so far as to link you to other protest groups, which seems awfully unfair. If they knew my eating habits, they'd know I'm no animal rights nut.

This is a great family learning opportunity.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Parental dilemma on 19:41 - Jun 1 with 3267 viewsNewcyBlue

We considered the Newcastle one with Seb. But decided we have too much to risk with MrsN being pregnant.

We have taken Seb along to an anti-Pegida demo before.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Parental dilemma on 19:42 - Jun 1 with 3242 viewsGlasgowBlue

Parental dilemma on 19:41 - Jun 1 by NewcyBlue

We considered the Newcastle one with Seb. But decided we have too much to risk with MrsN being pregnant.

We have taken Seb along to an anti-Pegida demo before.

I took her to a "Refugees Are Welcome" demo when she was 9 or 10. But that was very peaceful.

Iron Lion Zion

Parental dilemma on 19:47 - Jun 1 with 3220 viewsNewcyBlue

Parental dilemma on 19:42 - Jun 1 by GlasgowBlue

I took her to a "Refugees Are Welcome" demo when she was 9 or 10. But that was very peaceful.

If it wasn’t for COVID we would have taken Seb, even with MrsN being pregnant.

Any large gatherings right now seems as stupid an idea as can be had.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Login to get fewer ads

Parental dilemma on 19:53 - Jun 1 with 3179 viewsGlasgowBlue

Parental dilemma on 19:39 - Jun 1 by footers

I went on my first demo when I was 11 :)

Sure, a load of brainless tossers heckled us, but what does that matter? We were standing up for what we thought was right. Your daughter should do the same.

Likelihood of it kicking off here: minimum to nil. If it does, I'm sure a mature 13-year-old could handle it.

Just make sure you cover your faces so the FIT squad don't record you. Sometimes they go so far as to link you to other protest groups, which seems awfully unfair. If they knew my eating habits, they'd know I'm no animal rights nut.

This is a great family learning opportunity.

Thanks for a genuine response.

Iron Lion Zion

Parental dilemma on 20:01 - Jun 1 with 3147 viewsfooters

Parental dilemma on 19:53 - Jun 1 by GlasgowBlue

Thanks for a genuine response.

No problem. I'm a genuine guy. You have nothing to fear by letting her go solo. The worst that will happen is she'll have to listen to Billy Bragg. Which is quite bad admittedly, but hey ho.

And besides, dad at a protest?

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Parental dilemma on 20:12 - Jun 1 with 3088 viewsGuthrum

Do you think she and her friends are sensible (and socially clued up) enough to spot troublemakers and keep away from them?

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Parental dilemma on 20:13 - Jun 1 with 3074 viewssparks

Parental dilemma on 20:12 - Jun 1 by Guthrum

Do you think she and her friends are sensible (and socially clued up) enough to spot troublemakers and keep away from them?

Most kids are- but these situations have a way of developing in a way that an experienced adult might spot coming, but a kid would not...

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Parental dilemma on 20:15 - Jun 1 with 3053 viewsGuthrum

Parental dilemma on 20:13 - Jun 1 by sparks

Most kids are- but these situations have a way of developing in a way that an experienced adult might spot coming, but a kid would not...

That's pretty much what I was getting at.

Also not sure that many kids/early teens are, unless they've changed a lot since my day.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Parental dilemma on 20:16 - Jun 1 with 3045 viewsjeera

Parental dilemma on 20:01 - Jun 1 by footers

No problem. I'm a genuine guy. You have nothing to fear by letting her go solo. The worst that will happen is she'll have to listen to Billy Bragg. Which is quite bad admittedly, but hey ho.

And besides, dad at a protest?

Leave him out of this.

I told you, you're too young to remember when he was relevant but that's not his fault you were born too late. That's on you.
[Post edited 1 Jun 2020 20:27]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Parental dilemma on 20:28 - Jun 1 with 2985 viewsGlasgowBlue

Parental dilemma on 20:12 - Jun 1 by Guthrum

She's the baby of the family so I'm prone to treat her that way.

That said, she came out just before Christmas, is very confident and seems to know her own mind. Although she can be very naive at times.

Probably a typical thirteen year old who is is sometimes very mature and at other times enjoys still being a kid.

Iron Lion Zion

Parental dilemma on 20:38 - Jun 1 with 2943 viewsbluelagos

Having read the replies I guess if it were me, I'd insist one parent of the group goes along. Or maybe two and they then can keep a distance but be around if needed.

Went to a few anti-apartheid demos and it was pretty obvious when it was about to go off. And the police response tended to be indiscriminate. That said I think the chances of violence are low but it is a risk.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Parental dilemma on 20:56 - Jun 1 with 2865 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Say no.

Social distancing, potential disorder.

Not worth the risk.

Can you find another way for her to feel like she has made a statement?

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Parental dilemma on 20:56 - Jun 1 with 2866 viewsJonBlue

In normal circumstances a mass protest in a good and noble cause is great but in the middle of a global pandemic it's madness, liable to cause deaths rather than save lives.

The combination of Covid-19 and the tender years of your daughter would make it a no-no from me. No doubt your daughter is a bright lass but the combination of a small group of young teenagers and potentially volatile situation would make me concerned.
Parental dilemma on 21:57 - Jun 1 with 2738 viewsFixed_It

The pandemic and need for social distancing is your get out clause, without undermining the good intentions of the cause she feels strongly about.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Parental dilemma on 22:03 - Jun 1 with 2726 viewsSwansea_Blue

Parental dilemma on 19:47 - Jun 1 by NewcyBlue

If it wasn’t for COVID we would have taken Seb, even with MrsN being pregnant.

Any large gatherings right now seems as stupid an idea as can be had.

That would be my take. I wouldn't let my 12 year old out on his own to something like this irrespective of Covid. But with Covid it's a no brainer for me (but each to their own and all that). That's my 'common sense' take.

The officious take is that it would be almost impossible to adhere to social distancing guidelines and the law.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Parental dilemma on 22:09 - Jun 1 with 2710 viewsEdwardStone

Hi Mr GB

Black Lives Matter....All Lives Matter

I fully sympathise and admire her support for the cause. But if she were to contract the disease at this event it will have helped no one. Social distancing will be impossible....a strong possibility of infection spreading

As others have mentioned, usually you can feel when it might kick off and make "alternative arrangements"

It's the infection thing for me

Without CV it would have been a Yes

With CV.... no thanks
Parental dilemma on 13:06 - Jun 2 with 2389 viewsbluelagos

Have you decided an approach Glassers?

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Parental dilemma on 13:43 - Jun 2 with 2336 viewsElephantintheRoom

Might be a good time to mention Glasgow's honourable role in the oppression of the Catholic minority in Northern Ireland

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Parental dilemma on 13:47 - Jun 2 with 2329 viewsGlasgowBlue

Parental dilemma on 13:43 - Jun 2 by ElephantintheRoom

Might be a good time to mention Glasgow's honourable role in the oppression of the Catholic minority in Northern Ireland

I dint believe I lived here back then.

Iron Lion Zion

Parental dilemma on 13:48 - Jun 2 with 2328 viewsSpruceMoose

Parental dilemma on 13:43 - Jun 2 by ElephantintheRoom

He can be a bit of a tit but he's not a tyrant.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024