Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Spiders 02:10 - Jun 2 with 3148 viewsGirthyguy

Anyone had their houses invaded by these horrific creatures lately. Huge ones aswell. Anyone know how to keep them out of the house as the kids won't go to sleep hence the 2:10am post.
Spiders on 08:03 - Jun 2 with 2594 viewsCoastalblue

What's horrific about spiders? Genuine question.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Spiders on 09:07 - Jun 2 with 2553 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Odd that this thread appears immediately below a thread about tear-gas.

A good dose of tear-gas and they'll sleep like logs (as will you).

You are welcome.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

They run towards you.... on 09:08 - Jun 2 with 2552 viewsBloots

Spiders on 08:03 - Jun 2 by Coastalblue

...rather than away from you.

Psychos.

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Spiders on 09:08 - Jun 2 with 2552 viewsPagan_Blue

Spiders on 08:03 - Jun 2 by Coastalblue

I was bitten on the ankle by a spider a couple of years ago (probably a False Widow) and endured a couple of weeks of severe inflammation as a result, which required two courses of antibiotics to clear up. A very painful experience which I wouldn't like to repeat.
Spiders on 09:16 - Jun 2 with 2533 viewsWeWereZombies

Spiders on 09:08 - Jun 2 by Pagan_Blue

I was bitten on the ankle by a spider a couple of years ago (probably a False Widow) and endured a couple of weeks of severe inflammation as a result, which required two courses of antibiotics to clear up. A very painful experience which I wouldn't like to repeat.

Yeah, I have had a bite or two that has resulted in quite a bit of inflammation although nothing as extreme as needing antibiotics. But, like wasps, reflect on what would happen if they were not around. Without wasps aphids would run riot and crop harvest would plummet, without spiders flies and many other insects would be more numerous and diseases would strike us down even more than at present.

So what to do? I have found that thorough spring cleaning, as in moving all the furniture and picking in to every corner of window and door frames, has left the house pretty much spider free. Apologies if you have done this already, but if not then you have a great excuse for setting the kids to work...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Spiders on 09:27 - Jun 2 with 2506 viewsChutney

Spiders don't bother me too much to be honest. Found a snake in my garden yesterday though, didn't much like that to be honest. Something about them.
Spiders on 09:33 - Jun 2 with 2485 viewsGeoffSentence

Spiders on 09:27 - Jun 2 by Chutney

Spiders don't bother me too much to be honest. Found a snake in my garden yesterday though, didn't much like that to be honest. Something about them.

I'd love to find a snake in our garden. They are around, our neighbours have had a grass snake in theirs, but we've not seen one at home yet.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Spiders on 09:37 - Jun 2 with 2474 viewsChutney

Spiders on 09:33 - Jun 2 by GeoffSentence

I'd love to find a snake in our garden. They are around, our neighbours have had a grass snake in theirs, but we've not seen one at home yet.

I'm guessing it was a grass snake, it wasn't tiny though. c. 1m in length and a diameter of a couple of cm at its fattest. Unfortunately the poor thing was dead when I (the dog) found it so it bagged it up and put it in the bin.
[Post edited 2 Jun 2020 9:43]
Login to get fewer ads

Spiders on 10:08 - Jun 2 with 2423 viewsSwansea_Blue

Had to get rid of one from the kitchen yesterday. It looked at least 2 feet across to me.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Spiders on 10:23 - Jun 2 with 2410 viewsWeWereZombies

Spiders on 10:08 - Jun 2 by Swansea_Blue

Had to get rid of one from the kitchen yesterday. It looked at least 2 feet across to me.

OK, it got the rules on social distancing a bit wrong and was still using Imperial measurements but what type of look do you reckon...
[Post edited 2 Jun 2020 10:36]

Spiders on 10:24 - Jun 2 with 2409 viewsGirthyguy

Spiders on 09:16 - Jun 2 by WeWereZombies

Yeah, I have had a bite or two that has resulted in quite a bit of inflammation although nothing as extreme as needing antibiotics. But, like wasps, reflect on what would happen if they were not around. Without wasps aphids would run riot and crop harvest would plummet, without spiders flies and many other insects would be more numerous and diseases would strike us down even more than at present.

So what to do? I have found that thorough spring cleaning, as in moving all the furniture and picking in to every corner of window and door frames, has left the house pretty much spider free. Apologies if you have done this already, but if not then you have a great excuse for setting the kids to work...

I also last year got bitten by one in bed last year my shoulder was a bit painful for a day. Then his huge red inflamed area appeared where I had this bite. A good 8 inches or so around. Only hurt for a day but the area took about a month to go. Didn't get anti biotics perhaps should of. Just feel if one of the children got bitten. Might be a bit more serious maybe. We get those false widows here a lot I think that's what bit me tbh.
Spiders on 10:26 - Jun 2 with 2402 viewsWeWereZombies

Spiders on 10:24 - Jun 2 by Girthyguy

I also last year got bitten by one in bed last year my shoulder was a bit painful for a day. Then his huge red inflamed area appeared where I had this bite. A good 8 inches or so around. Only hurt for a day but the area took about a month to go. Didn't get anti biotics perhaps should of. Just feel if one of the children got bitten. Might be a bit more serious maybe. We get those false widows here a lot I think that's what bit me tbh.

I get a bit of attention from false widows...but enough about my all over the place love life.

Spiders on 10:46 - Jun 2 with 2368 viewsSwansea_Blue

Spiders on 10:23 - Jun 2 by WeWereZombies

OK, it got the rules on social distancing a bit wrong and was still using Imperial measurements but what type of look do you reckon...
[Post edited 2 Jun 2020 10:36]

It was a 'I'm going to scuttle across there quicker than the speed of sound and rip your head off' type of look.

I recognised it from how the missus looks at me when I say I'm off to the football for the day.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Spiders on 10:53 - Jun 2 with 2350 viewsmarchy

I'd hope so, can't be much room to move in there otherwise.
Spiders on 10:55 - Jun 2 with 2345 viewsEireannach_gorm

Spiders on 09:07 - Jun 2 by Tangledupin_Blue

Odd that this thread appears immediately below a thread about tear-gas.

A good dose of tear-gas and they'll sleep like logs (as will you).

You are welcome.

.......... or plastic bullets.
Spiders on 10:59 - Jun 2 with 2332 viewsDebsyAngel

Peppermint oil sprinkled in spots where they come in as they hate it apparently. We usually try the conkers thing in autumn but of course it's the wrong time of year for that. I have no problems with the stringy looking big ones, I get them in a jar and throw them outside. It's those false widow things that terrify me, and we have them too and my husband gets them in a jar and takes it up the road to put further away!
Spiders on 11:13 - Jun 2 with 2320 viewsBrianTablet

Took this the other day, lurking in the mint.
(It was, I wasn't.)

[Post edited 2 Jun 2020 12:54]

"......Paul Mariner......John Wark...... Brian Tablet...errrrrrr Talbot"
Poll: In a hellish scenario, would you rather...

Spiders on 11:13 - Jun 2 with 2314 viewsNewcyBlue

We have 5 cats that keep our house fairly spider free!

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Spiders on 11:23 - Jun 2 with 2287 viewsWeWereZombies

Spiders on 11:13 - Jun 2 by NewcyBlue

We have 5 cats that keep our house fairly spider free!

And what do you use to keep the number of cats down?

Spiders on 11:27 - Jun 2 with 2270 viewsSouthBucksBlue

A liberal scattering of conkers on floors surprisingly works very well.
Spiders on 12:46 - Jun 2 with 2204 viewsSarge

Where were the other 6?
Spiders on 12:56 - Jun 2 with 2189 viewsBrixtonBlue

My mum swears by a spray that keeps them away. Dunno what it's called but I'm sure you can google it.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

Spiders on 12:59 - Jun 2 with 2184 viewsPhilTWTD

Spiders on 11:27 - Jun 2 by SouthBucksBlue

Kevin Beattie swore by this method of spider avoidance. He once mentioned it on Life's a Pitch and got home to find someone had hung a bag of conkers on his front door for him.
Spiders on 13:10 - Jun 2 with 2153 viewsChutney

Spiders on 11:27 - Jun 2 by SouthBucksBlue

My wife has conkers in a glass vase type thing, like a decorative piece but she swears it's good at keeping spiders away .Can't say I've noticed a difference myself, we get loads.
Spiders on 13:13 - Jun 2 with 2147 viewsjeera

Spiders on 12:59 - Jun 2 by PhilTWTD

Kevin Beattie swore by this method of spider avoidance. He once mentioned it on Life's a Pitch and got home to find someone had hung a bag of conkers on his front door for him.

See what you mean.

This one here looks particularly worried.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024