Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A moral dilemma for you.... 10:40 - Jun 2 with 1773 viewsBluefish

We were due to go to a lodge with a hot tub for Easter but it was obviously cancelled so we decided to spend the refund on a lay z spa to try and make up for the disappointment. They were obviously ridiculously difficult to find anywhere but one morning I decided to just check Homebase again and see if anything had changed. They had the exact one we wanted showing as available, I assumed it was just show as an error when I tried to checkout but it didn't, the payment went through and I received my confirmation. The next morning however I got an email to say they had made a mistake and they weren't really available, I had the option of accepting a cheaper but virtually identical alternative and a partial refund or a full refund.i went for the replacement and partial refund and they said it would be with me in 10 days.

About 3 weeks or so passed and I heard nothing but in this time my wife found out that her office was closing down and her and all of her colleagues were facing redundancy. It was a rough time and it was her birthday approaching, she told me that no matter how trivial it seems the hot tub arriving would make her birthday a lot better. I tried calling homebase but the lines were switched off and just an automated response, the only contact was an online webform but that just prompted a generic reply. Social media was also bring ignored with dozens of requests per day for updates. I decided to try something different and sent an email to the assumed email address of the CEO and politely explain what had happened and ask for an update on delivery and/or refund.

A few days later a senior manager called me and said he is going to get it sorted, I explained the birthday was a couple lf days away and how it would mean so much if it could come then or at least have a delivery date by then to know when it would come in the future. The bloke played a blinder, he had one booked to come the day after but then managed to sort it and it came on her birthday and the partial refund was duly processed. A confirmation for the day after was also sent to say it is on its way but I contacted him to say the other one was now delivered and to thank him so much. He reied to say they would also be sending a cheque as compensation to say sorry, I told him it wasn't necessary but he insisted they would (it hasnt ever arrived though). I then emailed the CEO to say thank you and say what a great job this chap had done.

Anyway now to the point. Some 3 weeks after all this another hot tub has just been delivered outside my door. No contact or notes but it has my name on it from Homebase. When we got ours a girl at work contacted me to find out how because she had desperately been trying to get one for her daughter to make up for missing a big party for her birthday and the cruise they were supposed to go on. We were on a call together this morning when I realised what had arrived and she has pleaded for me to sell it to her. She says will drive from Kent to the Midlands now to collect it and pay the list price. I really want her to have it to make her happy but what should I do?

I think I should try and contact Homebase and explain but she is worried they will come and take it back even if I offer to pay. The younger me would have just waited and then sold it for profit.

Yes I know it is a material thing and a 1st world problem

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

A moral dilemma for you.... on 10:49 - Jun 2 with 1723 viewsKeno

Sorry Fishers but there is only one reply that I can post to that

"Lambert Out"

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

A moral dilemma for you.... on 10:55 - Jun 2 with 1705 viewsBluefish

A moral dilemma for you.... on 10:49 - Jun 2 by Keno

Sorry Fishers but there is only one reply that I can post to that

"Lambert Out"

The best response I could possibly wish for

FOPRP

A moral dilemma for you.... on 11:03 - Jun 2 with 1676 viewsJ2BLUE

They've been very good to you. You owe it to them to contact them and tell them what has happened.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

I assume Lambert arranged delivery..... on 11:05 - Jun 2 with 1671 viewsBloots

….of the second one.

He'd heard about the issues you were facing and sorted it for you, out of his own pocket.

He just gets it.

(by the way, contact them you thieving git)

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

A moral dilemma for you.... on 11:24 - Jun 2 with 1625 viewsBasuco

My way of thinking is that if they took your money for two but delivered one would you expect a refund? Likewise if two are delivered and you paid for one you should contact "your man" You never know he may well say thank you for being honest forget all about it, it would cost a fair bit to come and collect it and put it back into stock. Then it is legally yours and no potential future questions.
A moral dilemma for you.... on 11:36 - Jun 2 with 1591 viewsWeWereZombies

Email Homebase and let them know you are letting your friend collect the second hot tub, to do so would save them the cost of collecting the duplicated delivery and get them a guaranteed sale. Let your friend know this is the plan and that she needs to arrange a payment with Homebase.

Then ask her if her journey is essential and in line with Covid-19 guidance.

Then, if she says it is, and a week has gone by since you emailed Homebase - with either an affirmative reply or no reply, allow her to collect.

If Homebase manage to take all this in I would be amazed but, as you say, they have at least one employee who goes above and beyond.

On that note, and as you have pointed out the First World nature of your problem, perhaps you and your friend and Homebase could all pay the WaterAid website a visit and consider a donation:

https://www.wateraid.org/uk/

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

A moral dilemma for you.... on 11:50 - Jun 2 with 1551 viewsPinewoodblue

You cannot sell something you don’t own.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

A moral dilemma for you.... on 12:07 - Jun 2 with 1509 viewsBluefish

A moral dilemma for you.... on 11:50 - Jun 2 by Pinewoodblue

You cannot sell something you don’t own.

Well technically you can, you are just not supposed to

Login to get fewer ads

A moral dilemma for you.... on 12:26 - Jun 2 with 1478 viewsBluefish

A moral dilemma for you.... on 11:03 - Jun 2 by J2BLUE

They've been very good to you. You owe it to them to contact them and tell them what has happened.

Update is that I have called the contact that helped me but he didn't answer so I have left him a vm to call me back. I'm noy convinced that he will

A moral dilemma for you.... on 13:26 - Jun 2 with 1395 viewsBluefish

A moral dilemma for you.... on 12:26 - Jun 2 by Bluefish

Update is that I have called the contact that helped me but he didn't answer so I have left him a vm to call me back. I'm noy convinced that he will

New update. He called me back and said he has no idea how it happened and they don't have a record of it. I offered to buy it but they can't take payment over the phone, he has now agreed for me to go to my local store and pay for it with 10% off. I am such a model citizen and hopefully the good karma will mean PRP is fired today without a payoff

A moral dilemma for you.... on 13:35 - Jun 2 with 1368 viewsjeera

A moral dilemma for you.... on 13:26 - Jun 2 by Bluefish

New update. He called me back and said he has no idea how it happened and they don't have a record of it. I offered to buy it but they can't take payment over the phone, he has now agreed for me to go to my local store and pay for it with 10% off. I am such a model citizen and hopefully the good karma will mean PRP is fired today without a payoff

He will probably still get his pay-off, but agree to a 10% reduction.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

A moral dilemma for you.... on 13:38 - Jun 2 with 1359 viewsSpruceMoose

Is there an audio book version of this one? I'll have a listen while I weed the garden.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

A moral dilemma for you.... on 14:33 - Jun 2 with 1297 viewsronnyd

A moral dilemma for you.... on 13:38 - Jun 2 by SpruceMoose

Is there an audio book version of this one? I'll have a listen while I weed the garden.

I think Tolstoy turned it into a novel.
A moral dilemma for you.... on 14:39 - Jun 2 with 1283 viewsLibero

A moral dilemma for you.... on 13:38 - Jun 2 by SpruceMoose

I heard there's a sequel in development.
A moral dilemma for you.... on 14:58 - Jun 2 with 1257 viewsWeWereZombies

A moral dilemma for you.... on 14:39 - Jun 2 by Libero

I heard there's a sequel in development.

Hot Tub II - it's in turnaround at the moment...

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

A moral dilemma for you.... on 15:07 - Jun 2 with 1232 viewsLibero

A moral dilemma for you.... on 14:58 - Jun 2 by WeWereZombies

Hot Tub II - it's in turnaround at the moment...

Hot Tub (waste of) Time Machine.
A moral dilemma for you.... on 15:33 - Jun 2 with 1184 viewsgordon

That looks like the first chapter of a best-selling novel to me.

Apologies, I see this joke has already been done, basically. The story was so exciting I didn't even read the replies.
[Post edited 2 Jun 2020 15:34]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024