Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
British Sign Language 09:34 - Jun 3 with 633 viewsNewcyBlue

Does anyone here sign?

It’s a form of communication that has proven to work well with babies, and Makaton is what Mr Tumble uses. Which is most common for teaching babies.

We are keen to learn.

Has anyone got any tips? I’ve got a workbook and DVD to take to the ship with me.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

British Sign Language on 09:46 - Jun 3 with 601 viewsWeWereZombies

Given the progress of my hearing loss I really should learn BSL. One of the things that puts me off is that as well as having the whole 'learning to say things with your hands' business am I told that there is a completely different set of grammar rules as well. And there are different sign languages all over the World so it is not like some form of Esperanto that actually has a wide global spread.

But one thing it could be useful for is very noisy environments - my doctor told me that her father taught her some BSL when she was young and when he was going away on long trips he stood at the top of the airstairs and communicated goodbye messages to her as she stood at wherever was closest to the plane for those groundside to see.

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

British Sign Language on 09:48 - Jun 3 with 600 viewsBlueBadger

British Sign Language on 09:46 - Jun 3 by WeWereZombies

Given the progress of my hearing loss I really should learn BSL. One of the things that puts me off is that as well as having the whole 'learning to say things with your hands' business am I told that there is a completely different set of grammar rules as well. And there are different sign languages all over the World so it is not like some form of Esperanto that actually has a wide global spread.

But one thing it could be useful for is very noisy environments - my doctor told me that her father taught her some BSL when she was young and when he was going away on long trips he stood at the top of the airstairs and communicated goodbye messages to her as she stood at wherever was closest to the plane for those groundside to see.

Fun thing about BSL: apparently it has regional 'accents'. Brother in law is a BSL translator from Manchester. About 10 years back he moved to Cornwall and really struggled to make himself understood by the locals because he 'talks funny'.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2020 9:51]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

British Sign Language on 09:49 - Jun 3 with 593 viewsbrazil1982

I learnt it for one semester years ago, it was enjoyable but a real challenge. Very difficult to write notes trying to describe movements of the hands to represent words. Now, I'd self study with online resources. Two hours a week wasn't enough!
British Sign Language on 10:01 - Jun 3 with 572 viewsNewcyBlue

British Sign Language on 09:46 - Jun 3 by WeWereZombies

Yeah the sentence structure is pretty different.

It will be interesting to learn though.

British Sign Language on 10:02 - Jun 3 with 569 viewsNewcyBlue

British Sign Language on 09:49 - Jun 3 by brazil1982

I learnt it for one semester years ago, it was enjoyable but a real challenge. Very difficult to write notes trying to describe movements of the hands to represent words. Now, I'd self study with online resources. Two hours a week wasn't enough!

Thanks for the reply. I think MrsN is going to have lessons via Skype.

British Sign Language on 10:37 - Jun 3 with 524 viewsBlueBadger

British Sign Language on 09:48 - Jun 3 by BlueBadger

Fun thing about BSL: apparently it has regional 'accents'. Brother in law is a BSL translator from Manchester. About 10 years back he moved to Cornwall and really struggled to make himself understood by the locals because he 'talks funny'.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2020 9:51]

https://theconversation.com/how-british-sign-language-developed-its-own-dialects

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

British Sign Language on 10:45 - Jun 3 with 514 viewsbrazil1982

British Sign Language on 10:02 - Jun 3 by NewcyBlue

Thanks for the reply. I think MrsN is going to have lessons via Skype.

Good idea, my challenge was I didn't have anyone to "converse" with after classes, except one deaf student who I occasionally saw. It's all practice like all languages, but especially so with this.

Shows how long ago I learnt it, there was no skype / barely any internet resource!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024