Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hey Ulla! 13:17 - Jun 3 with 3676 viewsSpruceMoose

You were wondering about thd religious response to Trump yesterday? Here you go!

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/03/donald-trump-church-photo-op-eva
[Post edited 3 Jun 2020 16:45]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Hey Ulla! on 13:25 - Jun 3 with 3637 viewsgiant_stow

I'm really surprised to read that (know I shouldn't be).

I used to go to an Evangelical church as a youth and I can't imagine they'd be impressed by such a fake, dangerous and non-good man using the Bible in this way.

I spose there's room for individual interetation, but it makes no logicial sense.

Maybe the article isn't representative. Evangelicals may be hard to fathom for most non-Chrisitans, but they tend to mean well and are usually good, honest people. I just don't see how any of them could possible square that circle with Trump.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Hey Ulla! on 13:29 - Jun 3 with 3625 viewsSpruceMoose

Hey Ulla! on 13:25 - Jun 3 by giant_stow

I used to go to an Evangelical church as a youth and I can't imagine they'd be impressed by such a fake, dangerous and non-good man using the Bible in this way.

I spose there's room for individual interetation, but it makes no logicial sense.

Maybe the article isn't representative. Evangelicals may be hard to fathom for most non-Chrisitans, but they tend to mean well and are usually good, honest people. I just don't see how any of them could possible square that circle with Trump.

America man. Never met any British Evangelicals, maybe they're different? The evangelicals here certainly seem a dangerous breed.

I was reading this earlier:

Bass thinks this worldview may be central to understanding Trump’s foreign policy. “When Iran gets into the news, especially with anything to do with war, it’s sort of a prophetic dog whistle to evangelicals. They will support anything that seems to edge the world towards this conflagration,” she says. “They don’t necessarily want violence, but they’re eager for Christ to return and they think that this war with Iran and Israel has to happen for their larger hope to pass.”

These people are beyond the reach of rational argument it seems.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2020 13:36]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Hey Ulla! on 13:36 - Jun 3 with 3609 viewsSteve_M

“My mother started crying. She comes from Pentecostal background, and she started speaking in tongues. I haven’t heard her speak in tongues in years,” he said. “I thought, look at my president! He’s establishing the Lord’s kingdom in the world.”

I would have thought that an omnipotent, omniscient God might have made a better job of establishing his kingdom on Earth than this.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Hey Ulla! on 13:37 - Jun 3 with 3605 viewsBlueBadger

I think they ignore the adultery and the fraud because he's also bang down with their bigotry.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Hey Ulla! on 13:37 - Jun 3 with 3607 viewsPinewoodblue

https://www.theroot.com/the-punk-ass-president-had-peaceful-protesters-tear-gas-

Like the caption “how does this thing work”

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Hey Ulla! on 13:38 - Jun 3 with 3599 viewsSpruceMoose

Hey Ulla! on 13:37 - Jun 3 by BlueBadger

I think they ignore the adultery and the fraud because he's also bang down with their bigotry.

Don't forget the rape.

Hey Ulla! on 13:38 - Jun 3 with 3594 viewsSpruceMoose

Hey Ulla! on 13:37 - Jun 3 by Pinewoodblue

https://www.theroot.com/the-punk-ass-president-had-peaceful-protesters-tear-gas-

Like the caption “how does this thing work”

The Root have some fabulous headlines.

Hey Ulla! on 13:45 - Jun 3 with 3574 viewsBlueBadger

Hey Ulla! on 13:38 - Jun 3 by SpruceMoose

Don't forget the rape.

Hardcore Christians love a bit of rape don't they? It's very weird.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

Login to get fewer ads

Hey Ulla! on 13:48 - Jun 3 with 3565 viewsBlueBadger

Hey Ulla! on 13:38 - Jun 3 by SpruceMoose

The Root have some fabulous headlines.

I've started reading The Root a few weeks ago. There's some genuinely brilliant stuff on there.
My favourite archive piece is this one, purely for the ruckus that 'Reba' started.

https://www.theroot.com/the-five-types-of-becky-1798543210

Hey Ulla! on 13:59 - Jun 3 with 3547 viewsSpruceMoose

Hey Ulla! on 13:48 - Jun 3 by BlueBadger

I've started reading The Root a few weeks ago. There's some genuinely brilliant stuff on there.
My favourite archive piece is this one, purely for the ruckus that 'Reba' started.

https://www.theroot.com/the-five-types-of-becky-1798543210

That's fantastic. It's going to trigger a few on here, although, the posters I'm thinking of don't tend to click and read links when provided with them so you might be OK.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2020 14:00]

Hey Ulla! on 14:02 - Jun 3 with 3527 viewsBlueBadger

Hey Ulla! on 13:59 - Jun 3 by SpruceMoose

That's fantastic. It's going to trigger a few on here, although, the posters I'm thinking of don't tend to click and read links when provided with them so you might be OK.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2020 14:00]

Mrs Badger is a keen Jezebel reader. I 'accidentally' left that story open one evening for her to peruse. she was happily chortling away until she got to *that* bit.

Which leads me onto: The Root has one of the best 'comments' communities I've ever seen on the internet, anywhere.

Hey Ulla! on 14:03 - Jun 3 with 3513 viewsDarth_Koont

Crikey! That's a frightening read.

"The unhinged shall inherit the earth"

Pronouns: He/Him

Hey Ulla! on 14:06 - Jun 3 with 3520 viewsfooters

Jerry Falwell, now there's a name I hadn't heard in a long, long time! These guys are off their rockers, it's almost as if they haven't read the bible at all, or if they have then they've come to some wildly different conclusions to me. But oh well, good excuse to put on some Depeche Mode.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Hey Ulla! on 14:11 - Jun 3 with 3506 viewssparks

I am surprised you are surprised. The US is a country where alarming numbers of people dont believe in evolution, and think that not teaching creationism as science in schools is due to prejudice and discrimination against christians.

Its a country where states are repeatedly trying to get anti abortion laws through the back door, where people are excluded from public meetings nad processes for declining to engage in prayers as an opening.

Its frightening the power the religous lobby has- and just how loony they are.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Hey Ulla! on 14:27 - Jun 3 with 3464 viewsgiant_stow

Hey Ulla! on 14:11 - Jun 3 by sparks

I am surprised you are surprised. The US is a country where alarming numbers of people dont believe in evolution, and think that not teaching creationism as science in schools is due to prejudice and discrimination against christians.

Its a country where states are repeatedly trying to get anti abortion laws through the back door, where people are excluded from public meetings nad processes for declining to engage in prayers as an opening.

Its frightening the power the religous lobby has- and just how loony they are.

Fair enough mr - I guess I was just hoping for better.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Hey Ulla! on 14:57 - Jun 3 with 3387 viewspositivity

don't confuse political "christians", (who have as much to do with mainstream christianity as saudi arabia has with islam or lenin with atheism) with the average "religious response".

this is a more typical response:-
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/02/outrageous-christian-leaders-rej

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Hey Ulla! on 15:05 - Jun 3 with 3377 viewssparks

Hey Ulla! on 14:57 - Jun 3 by positivity

don't confuse political "christians", (who have as much to do with mainstream christianity as saudi arabia has with islam or lenin with atheism) with the average "religious response".

this is a more typical response:-
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/02/outrageous-christian-leaders-rej

I dont think you can assert that it is more typical.

It might be- but we would need some basis for that.

We are talking about a nation where between 20 and 30% think humans have always been as we are now and came into the world fully formed instead of evolving. A nation of Pat Robertson, Jeryy Fallwell, Kent Hovind....

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Hey Ulla! on 15:08 - Jun 3 with 3367 viewspositivity

Hey Ulla! on 15:05 - Jun 3 by sparks

I dont think you can assert that it is more typical.

It might be- but we would need some basis for that.

We are talking about a nation where between 20 and 30% think humans have always been as we are now and came into the world fully formed instead of evolving. A nation of Pat Robertson, Jeryy Fallwell, Kent Hovind....

so 70-80% think otherwise?

they may have more than their fair share of idiots, but they also have martin luther king, tom hanks, captain beefheart, jane fonda, michael curry and millions more!

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Hey Ulla! on 17:03 - Jun 3 with 3277 viewssparks

Hey Ulla! on 15:08 - Jun 3 by positivity

so 70-80% think otherwise?

they may have more than their fair share of idiots, but they also have martin luther king, tom hanks, captain beefheart, jane fonda, michael curry and millions more!

As many as 30% simply reject evolution.

They argue that they are discriminated against because schools teach it. There are still states where legal battles are being fought to keep creationism out of the schools!

Hey Ulla! on 17:15 - Jun 3 with 3263 viewsClapham_Junction

Hey Ulla! on 13:29 - Jun 3 by SpruceMoose

America man. Never met any British Evangelicals, maybe they're different? The evangelicals here certainly seem a dangerous breed.

I was reading this earlier:

Bass thinks this worldview may be central to understanding Trump’s foreign policy. “When Iran gets into the news, especially with anything to do with war, it’s sort of a prophetic dog whistle to evangelicals. They will support anything that seems to edge the world towards this conflagration,” she says. “They don’t necessarily want violence, but they’re eager for Christ to return and they think that this war with Iran and Israel has to happen for their larger hope to pass.”

These people are beyond the reach of rational argument it seems.
[Post edited 3 Jun 2020 13:36]

The Evangelical churches are also the main support base for the alt-right Brazilian president... Across much of the Americas it seems to be an issue. It's been claimed that the spread of evangelicalism in the Americas was encouraged by the US from the 1970s because they were concerned the Catholic church was too left-wing...
Hey Ulla! on 17:27 - Jun 3 with 3236 viewsgiant_stow

Hey Ulla! on 17:15 - Jun 3 by Clapham_Junction

The Evangelical churches are also the main support base for the alt-right Brazilian president... Across much of the Americas it seems to be an issue. It's been claimed that the spread of evangelicalism in the Americas was encouraged by the US from the 1970s because they were concerned the Catholic church was too left-wing...

Liberation Theology? Think I did some on this in Development Studies years back.

Hey Ulla! on 17:36 - Jun 3 with 3216 viewsDarth_Koont

Hey Ulla! on 17:15 - Jun 3 by Clapham_Junction

And a critical pillar in the US support for the rightwing populist Netanyahu and the more fanatical settlers.

According to the prophecy, the Palestinians need to be oppressed (or something) to bring about the Second Coming of Jesus.

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024