Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Schools might not reopen in September 19:22 - Jun 3 with 1828 viewsgiant_stow

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-52895640

Apologies if you've seen this already.

This can't be allowed to happen. It should be an absolute priority to get all kids back to school one way or another, part time, in the playgrounds, or other buildings.

Edit: and if a lack of teachers is the problem, then they have time to relax the rules and train up unqualifieds in the very basics.

[Post edited 3 Jun 2020 19:40]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Schools might not reopen in September on 21:24 - Jun 3 with 1685 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Where does that article suggest anything about a lack of teachers being the problem?

What does "relax the rules and train up unqualifieds in the very basics" mean or achieve?

There is a current issue with schools partially re-opening in very different circumstances to the normal to provide who knows what to a small proportion of the students against the vast majority of scientific advice.

Yes, there may well be some students unable to return to normal schooling in September and we should be preparing to provide well for them. Right now we can provide best for those students learning from home if we are not having to manage a political decision to have students in small groups doing something in school too.

I think that article is trying to achieve about the same as that chemistry teacher has managed to do distilling 200 ml of liquid from a 60 ml pear-shaped flask that still contains around 50 ml of liquid. At least they got the students to put some goggles on and do their ties up even if they didn't manage to get her to put hers on or get any of them lab coats.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Schools might not reopen in September on 23:30 - Jun 3 with 1597 viewsgiant_stow

Schools might not reopen in September on 21:24 - Jun 3 by Nthsuffolkblue

Where does that article suggest anything about a lack of teachers being the problem?

What does "relax the rules and train up unqualifieds in the very basics" mean or achieve?

There is a current issue with schools partially re-opening in very different circumstances to the normal to provide who knows what to a small proportion of the students against the vast majority of scientific advice.

Yes, there may well be some students unable to return to normal schooling in September and we should be preparing to provide well for them. Right now we can provide best for those students learning from home if we are not having to manage a political decision to have students in small groups doing something in school too.

I think that article is trying to achieve about the same as that chemistry teacher has managed to do distilling 200 ml of liquid from a 60 ml pear-shaped flask that still contains around 50 ml of liquid. At least they got the students to put some goggles on and do their ties up even if they didn't manage to get her to put hers on or get any of them lab coats.

Ive read that some schools are struggling to staff clasrooms when teachers are off sick or shielding. Not having a pop at teachers - I'm saying we need more of them and quickly. Schools should be given emmergency funding to help create more teaching space* and hire more teachers and yes, unqualified ones if necesary.

I just fear the harm this is already doing to mant kid's mental and educational health. It may be reaching a tipping point where that damage outweighs the risk of catching the virus.

Aftetall, this could go on and on - are kids meant to stay of school for years? This isnt meant as a critique of anyone - its more a plea for action!

*i believe our school is now out of classroom space due to social distancing, so dont we need more space and quick?

[Post edited 3 Jun 2020 23:33]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Schools might not reopen in September on 08:09 - Jun 4 with 1507 viewsMullet

Schools might not reopen in September on 23:30 - Jun 3 by giant_stow

Ive read that some schools are struggling to staff clasrooms when teachers are off sick or shielding. Not having a pop at teachers - I'm saying we need more of them and quickly. Schools should be given emmergency funding to help create more teaching space* and hire more teachers and yes, unqualified ones if necesary.

I just fear the harm this is already doing to mant kid's mental and educational health. It may be reaching a tipping point where that damage outweighs the risk of catching the virus.

Aftetall, this could go on and on - are kids meant to stay of school for years? This isnt meant as a critique of anyone - its more a plea for action!

*i believe our school is now out of classroom space due to social distancing, so dont we need more space and quick?

[Post edited 3 Jun 2020 23:33]

We’ve needed more teachers for years. Whenever you see those “come teach it’s amazing’ type adverts pop up and especially when they are everywhere, you know the staffing crisis is rearing its head again. They are paying people £26k to train for a year in some subjects, their starting wage will drop by £6k or so when they get a job. It’s madness. Loads just do the year then go into office work or whatever.

Not to play into the hands of the stereotype but this year has really shown up how little people understand or value the role of schools too. I’m still seeing it in the media on plenty of social media comments etc. However, there is an estimate that 10 years of lowering the attainment gap between rich and poor is being undone.

The fact we can’t just “get more” is indicative of why the contempt in this country for teachers and schools is far more damaging than just upsetting the sensitive teachers who have breakdowns every year, spend hours away from families and friends due to workload and all the other horror stories and stuff you hear.

I was sat in on a meeting yesterday and frankly the government have been slow in every area and at every stage. They say stuff without checking it or thinking it through, release it in the press and then let the blowback fall on schools and unions.

The amount of work that’s gone into getting a handful of kids back in on short notice is astounding, so getting them all back in will take time. The government really need to do far more to help and do it yesterday.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Schools might not reopen in September on 08:30 - Jun 4 with 1475 viewsgiant_stow

Schools might not reopen in September on 08:09 - Jun 4 by Mullet

We’ve needed more teachers for years. Whenever you see those “come teach it’s amazing’ type adverts pop up and especially when they are everywhere, you know the staffing crisis is rearing its head again. They are paying people £26k to train for a year in some subjects, their starting wage will drop by £6k or so when they get a job. It’s madness. Loads just do the year then go into office work or whatever.

Not to play into the hands of the stereotype but this year has really shown up how little people understand or value the role of schools too. I’m still seeing it in the media on plenty of social media comments etc. However, there is an estimate that 10 years of lowering the attainment gap between rich and poor is being undone.

The fact we can’t just “get more” is indicative of why the contempt in this country for teachers and schools is far more damaging than just upsetting the sensitive teachers who have breakdowns every year, spend hours away from families and friends due to workload and all the other horror stories and stuff you hear.

I was sat in on a meeting yesterday and frankly the government have been slow in every area and at every stage. They say stuff without checking it or thinking it through, release it in the press and then let the blowback fall on schools and unions.

The amount of work that’s gone into getting a handful of kids back in on short notice is astounding, so getting them all back in will take time. The government really need to do far more to help and do it yesterday.

Thanks for your thoughts mr - it must be very tough for you teachers right now.

Re your last line, I think if the Govt can't treat this with the urgency it deservers (akin to speed which the employee/business protection lockdown measures) it'll be their biggest failure yet.

A whole generation's current & future wealfare is at risk.

Schools might not reopen in September on 08:35 - Jun 4 with 1464 viewsTractorWood

Schools might not reopen in September on 08:09 - Jun 4 by Mullet

'I was sat in on a meeting yesterday and frankly the government have been slow in every area and at every stage. They say stuff without checking it or thinking it through, release it in the press and then let the blowback fall on schools and unions'.

They also say stuff that just isn't true or will be impossible to keep to:
- lockdowns will be eased by region based on the advice of the joint biosecurity taskforce. Doesn't exist, still.
- The testing shambles of posting 40k tests on the morning of their self imposed deadline
- saying antibody tests will be widely available next week,
this was 3 months ago

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Schools might not reopen in September on 08:39 - Jun 4 with 1449 viewsHerbivore

I'm not sure how you magic up more space and more teachers in 3 months.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Schools might not reopen in September on 08:50 - Jun 4 with 1423 viewsgiant_stow

Schools might not reopen in September on 08:39 - Jun 4 by Herbivore

I'm not sure how you magic up more space and more teachers in 3 months.

Teachers are more problematic, hence suggesting trainees / others, but space less so. I've read how other countries are using playgrounds (with our weather, we could put up marquees with heaters), or churches, empty museums, village halls etc.. Or just have kids on a 5 days on every two weeks rota. Anything - this is that important that we must be creative

Schools might not reopen in September on 08:52 - Jun 4 with 1413 viewsHerbivore

Schools might not reopen in September on 08:50 - Jun 4 by giant_stow

Teachers are more problematic, hence suggesting trainees / others, but space less so. I've read how other countries are using playgrounds (with our weather, we could put up marquees with heaters), or churches, empty museums, village halls etc.. Or just have kids on a 5 days on every two weeks rota. Anything - this is that important that we must be creative

I think all kids going back part time is more realistic, so 5 days a fortnight. The article doesn't rule that out though, it's only saying things might not be back to normal come September. That's probably just being realistic. All kids back part time would constitute not back to normal and would probably be the best and fairest solution.

Login to get fewer ads

Schools might not reopen in September on 08:57 - Jun 4 with 1403 viewsgiant_stow

Schools might not reopen in September on 08:52 - Jun 4 by Herbivore

I think all kids going back part time is more realistic, so 5 days a fortnight. The article doesn't rule that out though, it's only saying things might not be back to normal come September. That's probably just being realistic. All kids back part time would constitute not back to normal and would probably be the best and fairest solution.

fair enough mr. I could live with the part time option - anything that at least gets them back into school.

(and I can see I'm sounding a little 'shrill' and emotional - apologies all, I mean no offence)

Schools might not reopen in September on 10:18 - Jun 4 with 1335 viewsHerbivore

Schools might not reopen in September on 08:57 - Jun 4 by giant_stow

fair enough mr. I could live with the part time option - anything that at least gets them back into school.

(and I can see I'm sounding a little 'shrill' and emotional - apologies all, I mean no offence)

No offence at all, buddy. It's a tricky and emotive issue. I think all kids back part time if the situation in September is much as it is now is a far better solution than having some kids in all the time and some stuck at home. I'd hope that's what they go with.

Schools might not reopen in September on 12:08 - Jun 4 with 1289 viewsITFC_Forever

As long as social distancing exists (for all the right reasons in terms of combatting C-19), it will be impossible for kids to return to school "as normal".

Schools admit pupils based on 30 in a class. If that number needs to be halved, they in theory need twice as many classrooms and teachers.

It's pretty obvious.

P 1118, W 498, D 285, L 335, F 1699, A 1352
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Schools might not reopen in September on 12:25 - Jun 4 with 1269 viewsSwansea_Blue

Schools might not reopen in September on 08:52 - Jun 4 by Herbivore

We're nearly getting the point where it's 5 days of Fortnite now.

....Ah, sorry misread your post.

Not sure how they're going to work it here in Pays de Galles. We had a statement yesterday from our Education Minister saying we're all going back 29th June (the expectation was only certain years, so a bit of a surprise). But clases only 1/3rd full at an one time. Whether than means 1.5-2 days per week for each student, I've no idea. I don't thik the schools know how they're going to deal with it either.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024