Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
On the day 1993 Warnes first ball in test cricket to Getting 14:04 - Jun 4 with 1271 viewsKeno

It was too shabby either

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

On the day 1993 Warnes first ball in test cricket to Getting on 15:09 - Jun 4 with 1217 viewsStokieBlue

Amazing delivery. Warne was basically a freak, he bowled another fabulous ball to Smith in the same innings I believe.

Facing Warne, McGrath and Lee must have been a nightmare.

SB
[Post edited 4 Jun 2020 15:09]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

On the day 1993 Warnes first ball in test cricket to Getting on 15:12 - Jun 4 with 1205 viewsKeno

On the day 1993 Warnes first ball in test cricket to Getting on 15:09 - Jun 4 by StokieBlue

Amazing delivery. Warne was basically a freak, he bowled another fabulous ball to Smith in the same innings I believe.

Facing Warne, McGrath and Lee must have been a nightmare.

SB
[Post edited 4 Jun 2020 15:09]

its the look on Gatts face that makes it!!

On the day 1993 Warnes first ball in test cricket to Getting on 15:21 - Jun 4 with 1191 viewsgainsboroughblue

Unless I've misread your thread title, it wasn't his first ball in test cricket. He had been flayed in his debut tour in India the year before and was largely unconvincing in the next series v Sri Lanka leading him to be dropped.

He took a shed load of wickets against the West Indies the winter before the Ashes in '93 and that cemented his place. The rest, as they say, is history.

As much as I hate to say it, he is the best cricketer I have ever seen.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

On the day 1993 Warnes first ball in test cricket to Getting on 15:25 - Jun 4 with 1180 viewsKeno

On the day 1993 Warnes first ball in test cricket to Getting on 15:21 - Jun 4 by gainsboroughblue

Unless I've misread your thread title, it wasn't his first ball in test cricket. He had been flayed in his debut tour in India the year before and was largely unconvincing in the next series v Sri Lanka leading him to be dropped.

He took a shed load of wickets against the West Indies the winter before the Ashes in '93 and that cemented his place. The rest, as they say, is history.

As much as I hate to say it, he is the best cricketer I have ever seen.

first ball in English Test cricket would have been better worded, sorry

I seem to remember he had been largely dismissed by the England batsman before the series and been largely crap in the warm up games

On the day 1993 Warnes first ball in test cricket to Getting on 15:30 - Jun 4 with 1178 viewsStokieBlue

On the day 1993 Warnes first ball in test cricket to Getting on 15:25 - Jun 4 by Keno

first ball in English Test cricket would have been better worded, sorry

I seem to remember he had been largely dismissed by the England batsman before the series and been largely crap in the warm up games

In the Ashes documentary that was on the other month they claimed he had deliberately not been playing at his best in those warm-up games.

Hard to know with the Aussies.

SB

On the day 1993 Warnes first ball in test cricket to Getting on 15:31 - Jun 4 with 1174 viewsSpruceMoose

Man, watching this makes me realise how much I miss watching test cricket over here.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

On the day 1993 Warnes first ball in test cricket to Getting on 15:38 - Jun 4 with 1154 viewsKeno

On the day 1993 Warnes first ball in test cricket to Getting on 15:30 - Jun 4 by StokieBlue

In the Ashes documentary that was on the other month they claimed he had deliberately not been playing at his best in those warm-up games.

Hard to know with the Aussies.

SB

Ive heard that from a couple of sources, if true it was a good con job!!

On the day 1993 Warnes first ball in test cricket to Getting on 15:59 - Jun 4 with 1120 viewsRadlett_blue

Hard to tell who was more bemused, Mike Gatting or the umpire.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Login to get fewer ads

On the day 1993 Warnes first ball in test cricket to Getting on 16:05 - Jun 4 with 1110 viewsm14_blue

On the day 1993 Warnes first ball in test cricket to Getting on 16:21 - Jun 4 with 1098 viewsStokieBlue

On the day 1993 Warnes first ball in test cricket to Getting on 15:38 - Jun 4 by Keno

Ive heard that from a couple of sources, if true it was a good con job!!

https://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/australia/the-delivery-the-long-con-and-the

From Border:

“We didn’t want to show England anything, that we had this kid up our who we suspected could be the real deal,” Border said. “I was really excited about what I was seeing and what he potentially could bring to the table so I was keen to keep him under wraps.”

That match against Worcestershire? The rookie was being kept on a short leash, barred from using his full bag of tricks.

“He (Hick) was a very good player of spin and Warnie got a bit frustrated, he was getting belted out of the ground thinking ‘stuff this, I’m getting towelled up here,’” Border recalled. “I said ‘it doesn’t matter, this is just about you getting some rhythm. Him thinking you can’t bowl works in our favour, show him nothing.’”

A month after showing Hick nothing, Warne showed England everything.

At the top of his mark, Warne’s only thought was to turn one as big as he could, hoping to put it in England’s minds that this pitch was going to do plenty for the spinners after the home board had rolled out a dry deck to counter Merv Hughes and McDermott.

As Gatting made his way off the field, a bemused Border wondered what all the fuss was about in regards to the delivery. Fielding at catching cover, the physics of the delivery had escaped him.

“I was just happy Mike Gatting was out to the first ball from Warne. When we got into the huddle everyone was like ‘gee AB, that was a pretty special delivery’, I’m sort of ‘yeah yeah yeah, whoop-de-doo’.

“Then I saw the replay and went ‘wow’.”

As you say, I was lucky enough to see him a number of times, a magnificent player.

SB

On the day 1993 Warnes first ball in test cricket to Getting on 16:39 - Jun 4 with 1085 viewsfactual_blue

On the day 1993 Warnes first ball in test cricket to Getting on 15:31 - Jun 4 by SpruceMoose

Man, watching this makes me realise how much I miss watching test cricket over here.

You've got riots to watch. Stop moaning.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024