Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Boycott leaving TMS 10:18 - Jun 6 with 6869 viewsKeno

not sure how I feel about that, but it is probably time for him to retire

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/jun/05/geoffrey-boycott-aims-dig-at-bbc-a

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Boycott leaving TMS on 10:20 - Jun 6 with 5494 viewsShawsey

Straight talking commentator, just how I like it. Shame, but as you say, probably the right time.
Boycott leaving TMS on 10:25 - Jun 6 with 5476 viewsKeno

Boycott leaving TMS on 10:20 - Jun 6 by Shawsey

Straight talking commentator, just how I like it. Shame, but as you say, probably the right time.

I am fortunate enough to just about remember the days of John Arlott and TMS has been very much part of my summers (and a few winters)

On his day Boycott could be very insightful but increasing seems too fulfil a 'grumpy old pro' role

If you have 10 mins to spare this from Aggers is a gem

Boycott leaving TMS on 10:31 - Jun 6 with 5431 viewsShawsey

Boycott leaving TMS on 10:25 - Jun 6 by Keno

I am fortunate enough to just about remember the days of John Arlott and TMS has been very much part of my summers (and a few winters)

On his day Boycott could be very insightful but increasing seems too fulfil a 'grumpy old pro' role

I have seen it before. Brilliant.
Boycott leaving TMS on 10:36 - Jun 6 with 5416 viewsFunge

Hmmm.

Stalwart of the game.

As a commentator too prone to extremes. England are 'brilliant' when they're winning, and 'appalling' when they're losing. Think Joe Root has alluded to this before, similar to Bob Willis (RIP) in that respect.

Technical knowledge excellent tho.

Also extremely enjoyable to listen to when we played Oz (and were on top) - the glee in his voice when talking to, say, an exasperated McGrath or Michael Slater was always very enjoyable.

On balance, I'll miss him.
Boycott leaving TMS on 10:39 - Jun 6 with 5398 viewsKeno

Boycott leaving TMS on 10:36 - Jun 6 by Funge

Hmmm.

Stalwart of the game.

As a commentator too prone to extremes. England are 'brilliant' when they're winning, and 'appalling' when they're losing. Think Joe Root has alluded to this before, similar to Bob Willis (RIP) in that respect.

Also extremely enjoyable to listen to when we played Oz (and were on top) - the glee in his voice when talking to, say, an exasperated McGrath or Michael Slater was always very enjoyable.

that's a pretty summary and sums up my feelings

Boycott leaving TMS on 10:48 - Jun 6 with 5374 viewsSharkey

I'm almost as happy as when Fred Trueman went.
Boycott leaving TMS on 10:59 - Jun 6 with 5356 viewsHerbivore

Never a massive fan of him, really dour. Plus I'm not really big on woman-beating racists either.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Boycott leaving TMS on 11:01 - Jun 6 with 5347 viewsfactual_blue

Boycott leaving TMS on 10:59 - Jun 6 by Herbivore

Never a massive fan of him, really dour. Plus I'm not really big on woman-beating racists either.

NFY

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Login to get fewer ads

Boycott leaving TMS on 11:03 - Jun 6 with 5332 viewsfactual_blue

Let's be honest, you remember W G Grace.

Boycott leaving TMS on 11:05 - Jun 6 with 5336 viewsitfcjoe

Someone tweeted him yesterday after announcement saying ‘Straight, male, white, Tory and knows about cricket. Surprised he lasted this long at the bbc’ whixh he retweeted with the comment ‘Absolutely right’

He subsequently deleted it....

Generally I’ve liked him on there, think it will be worse without him in the short Term

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Boycott leaving TMS on 11:26 - Jun 6 with 5292 viewsIP12

I wouldn't argue about his time to go but which 12 year old from Radio1 will they replace him with ??
Boycott leaving TMS on 11:37 - Jun 6 with 5271 viewsstonojnr

Boycott leaving TMS on 11:05 - Jun 6 by itfcjoe

Someone tweeted him yesterday after announcement saying ‘Straight, male, white, Tory and knows about cricket. Surprised he lasted this long at the bbc’ whixh he retweeted with the comment ‘Absolutely right’

He subsequently deleted it....

Generally I’ve liked him on there, think it will be worse without him in the short Term

it was already getting worse with him left as one of the few pundits on their roster who could actually offer insightful cricket commentary,and analyse the position of a match, tell you why something was going wrong or right and be forthright about it, rather than just offer some less than insightful bantz on last nights curry as seems to be the modern commentary trend to talk about anything other than the cricket. so yeah I think we as an audience will miss him, and it makes TMS less listenable to.

just Vic Marks and Aggers of the old guard left
Boycott leaving TMS on 11:40 - Jun 6 with 5275 viewsSharkey

Boycott leaving TMS on 11:26 - Jun 6 by IP12

I wouldn't argue about his time to go but which 12 year old from Radio1 will they replace him with ??

One thing for sure is that they'll replace him with former test player. The BBC is convinced that the public has no time for anyone who has not played at the highest level. Which is a shame, because listening to County Championship commentators on BBC local radio, there are plenty of really erudite, articulate and likeable ones out there, who watch the game primarily as fans, just as Johnson, Arlott, Cozier et al did. (That's not to say there haven't been any great cricketers who became great commentators, but it shouldn't be a requirement.)
Boycott leaving TMS on 11:40 - Jun 6 with 5265 viewsIP12

This is the type of thing that makes TMS 'So Very Special'...
Boycott leaving TMS on 11:42 - Jun 6 with 5261 viewsRyorry

Boycott leaving TMS on 10:36 - Jun 6 by Funge

Hmmm.

Stalwart of the game.

Likewise. The TMS team is a wonderful mix of personalities, I'll miss him in his niche as say-it-as-it-is his Honour Judge Grumpiness.

Particularly enjoyed him & Tuffers on mic together!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Boycott leaving TMS on 11:47 - Jun 6 with 5245 viewsElephantintheRoom

I was ambling around Lords many years ago during a break and came across Boycott doing a book signing stint.

A proud dad was with his son at the front of the queue - and said to his son 'this man was the greatest batsman who has ever lived'

Boycott's modest reply.... 'Aye - you're not wrong there'

The Aggers wind up was one of the best moments of recent cricket coverage - clearly he is as self centred now as he was in his prime.... which as the MIchael Jordan egofest on Netflix shows is probably a prerequisite for greatness in a team sport.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Boycott leaving TMS on 12:08 - Jun 6 with 5206 viewsGuthrum

Boycott leaving TMS on 11:40 - Jun 6 by Sharkey

One thing for sure is that they'll replace him with former test player. The BBC is convinced that the public has no time for anyone who has not played at the highest level. Which is a shame, because listening to County Championship commentators on BBC local radio, there are plenty of really erudite, articulate and likeable ones out there, who watch the game primarily as fans, just as Johnson, Arlott, Cozier et al did. (That's not to say there haven't been any great cricketers who became great commentators, but it shouldn't be a requirement.)

I'm pretty sure they have Jimmy Anderson lined up for when he retires (and during injury breaks).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Boycott leaving TMS on 12:20 - Jun 6 with 5177 viewsFunge

Boycott leaving TMS on 12:08 - Jun 6 by Guthrum

I'm pretty sure they have Jimmy Anderson lined up for when he retires (and during injury breaks).

Anderson will be pretty good, I think.

They could do with binning off Swann, who is cut from the same LADS LADS LADS cloth as Matt Dawson.
Boycott leaving TMS on 12:23 - Jun 6 with 5165 viewsfactual_blue

The latest series of the Real Marigold Hotel was brilliant with Blowers. Best of all when the unbelievably vain and poorly reconstructed Britt Ekland realised Blowers was more famous in India than she. In fact the Indians saw him as a god, basically.

In fact, they didn't know who she was at all. And no amount of wittering 'I was a Bond girl helped.

Boycott leaving TMS on 12:29 - Jun 6 with 5146 viewsKeno

Boycott leaving TMS on 12:23 - Jun 6 by factual_blue

The latest series of the Real Marigold Hotel was brilliant with Blowers. Best of all when the unbelievably vain and poorly reconstructed Britt Ekland realised Blowers was more famous in India than she. In fact the Indians saw him as a god, basically.

In fact, they didn't know who she was at all. And no amount of wittering 'I was a Bond girl helped.

Blowers nearly played a test match for England in India years ago when the team got struck down with Delhi Belly

Boycott leaving TMS on 13:14 - Jun 6 with 5062 viewsRyorry

Boycott leaving TMS on 12:23 - Jun 6 by factual_blue

Only caught some of it, but it was really touching to see the reverence and affection the crowd greeted Blowers with.

Can't think why the producers thought Britt E would make a good traveller - basically, she's just "me me me".

John Altman was good tho - v. familiar face, but couldn't think where I'd seen him before till your post nudged me into looking him up - OMG, it's "nasty Nick" from Eastenders of 25 years ago!!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Boycott leaving TMS on 13:45 - Jun 6 with 5008 viewsHerbivore

Boycott leaving TMS on 12:20 - Jun 6 by Funge

They could do with binning off Swann, who is cut from the same LADS LADS LADS cloth as Matt Dawson.

I'm not sure I've ever heard Graeme Swann speak for more than a minute without wanting to punch him in the face.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Boycott leaving TMS on 13:55 - Jun 6 with 4984 viewsitfcjoe

You can tell Swann is one of those guys who is good fun if you are mates with him (most of the time), but a bit a total nob if you aren't.....and will have a real nasty streak if he can't get his laugh or be the centre of attention

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Boycott leaving TMS on 16:21 - Jun 6 with 4910 viewsBlueBadger

Boycott leaving TMS on 10:59 - Jun 6 by Herbivore

Worse still, despite being from YORKSHIRE(he never likes to talk about it though), is he supports Man United.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Boycott leaving TMS on 18:18 - Jun 6 with 4834 viewspatrickswell

Swann - who I liked - doesn't really do commentary anymore though, does he? My memories of last year were that the English pundits were Boycott, Vaughan (who's getting grumpier as he gets older), Tufnell and Alistair Cook. There may have been a female cricketer in there as well, but I can't be sure

If they don't go back to Swann, or bring through a further female summariser, why not bring in David Gower? Articulate, witty, still in love with the game (which isn't always the case with pundits as they get older).
[Post edited 6 Jun 2020 18:22]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024