Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
1917 - Movie 11:06 - Jun 6 with 4171 viewsitfcjoe

Watched this last night, well worth it if you get the chance.

WW1 continues to look utterly brutal for those involved

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

1917 - Movie on 11:26 - Jun 6 with 2645 viewsBrixtonBlue

I love it. It got a bit slated at the time for being too like a documentary, but that's why I think it's good. It makes it feel very real. And I like the 3 story arcs that cut across each other.

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

1917 - Movie on 11:29 - Jun 6 with 2640 viewsKieran_Knows

I love a war film, but I have to say I just didn’t think it was very good. That said, I did watch it one evening after a Town game and I was pretty hammered, so perhaps should watch it again.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

1917 - Movie on 11:29 - Jun 6 with 2636 viewsitfcjoe

1917 - Movie on 11:26 - Jun 6 by BrixtonBlue

I love it. It got a bit slated at the time for being too like a documentary, but that's why I think it's good. It makes it feel very real. And I like the 3 story arcs that cut across each other.

It obviously isn't, but the way it is shot as one continuous shot through the whole movie (bar the unconsciousness) is incredible and really draws you in - almost no real moment to pause for breathe in it.

Feels almost like a computer game at times because you are on the mission with them
[Post edited 6 Jun 2020 11:30]

1917 - Movie on 11:33 - Jun 6 with 2615 viewsBarcaBlue

It's on my "to watch" list, is it on Prime or Netflix?
1917 - Movie on 11:33 - Jun 6 with 2614 viewsBluefish

1917 - Movie on 11:29 - Jun 6 by itfcjoe

It obviously isn't, but the way it is shot as one continuous shot through the whole movie (bar the unconsciousness) is incredible and really draws you in - almost no real moment to pause for breathe in it.

Feels almost like a computer game at times because you are on the mission with them

I know it is too late for you but that is why i made sure I saw it in the cinema to have that immersive feel to it

Do you remember cinemas? They were places where loads of people went to all enjoy a film together. Different times
[Post edited 6 Jun 2020 11:35]

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

1917 - Movie on 11:37 - Jun 6 with 2591 viewsBrixtonBlue

Oh just realised I've got confused between 1917 and Dunkirk!

Yeah, I liked 1917 as well. It was done in about 3 continuous shots, so you're not far off. And yes, that was very clever.

I felt it could've had a better ending, seemed a bit nothing to me. A good film overall though.

Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

1917 - Movie on 11:39 - Jun 6 with 2579 viewsBluefish

1917 - Movie on 11:37 - Jun 6 by BrixtonBlue

Yeah, I liked 1917 as well. It was done in about 3 continuous shots, so you're not far off. And yes, that was very clever.

I felt it could've had a better ending, seemed a bit nothing to me. A good film overall though.

it is 1

1917 - Movie on 11:44 - Jun 6 with 2550 viewsBrixtonBlue

1917 - Movie on 11:39 - Jun 6 by Bluefish

it is 1

Not quite. You can see one cut point when they're in darkness in the trenches.

https://www.insider.com/how-1917-was-filmed-like-one-continuous-shot-wwi-2020-1

Login to get fewer ads

1917 - Movie on 11:47 - Jun 6 with 2532 viewsWeWereZombies

The way it was shot gets some explanation in this fascinating interview with Sam Mendes:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000dt6w/life-cinematic-series-1-1-sam-men

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

1917 - Movie on 11:47 - Jun 6 with 2534 viewsBluefish

1917 - Movie on 11:44 - Jun 6 by BrixtonBlue

Not quite. You can see one cut point when they're in darkness in the trenches.

https://www.insider.com/how-1917-was-filmed-like-one-continuous-shot-wwi-2020-1

I'm sure it is loads it reality but the point is that is made to be 1 and that wss the point. It would be impossible logistically to actually be one. No one actually thinks that

1917 - Movie on 11:54 - Jun 6 with 2512 viewsWeWereZombies

1917 - Movie on 11:37 - Jun 6 by BrixtonBlue

I did give you a warning about your brain not being in gear this morning on that other thread, didn't I?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

1917 - Movie on 11:56 - Jun 6 with 2507 viewsWarkystache

I really enjoyed it, in as much as you can enjoy a film that highlights some truly heartbreaking scenes.

I thought the locations where they shot were fantastic. It's beautiful, bold, at times upsetting, but gives a profound glimpse of just what the soldiers who fought in that awful war actually had to go through just to survive another day.

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

1917 - Movie on 11:58 - Jun 6 with 2496 viewsreusersfreekicks

Really well shot and great execution. Found the story/plot a bit weak. Strong notes of Saving Private Ryan
1917 - Movie on 12:37 - Jun 6 with 2430 viewsBrixtonBlue

1917 - Movie on 11:47 - Jun 6 by Bluefish

I'm sure it is loads it reality but the point is that is made to be 1 and that wss the point. It would be impossible logistically to actually be one. No one actually thinks that

Aw bless. Blubfish has been caught demonstrably being wrong and now he's backtracking. How cute.

1917 - Movie on 12:40 - Jun 6 with 2421 viewsBrixtonBlue

1917 - Movie on 11:54 - Jun 6 by WeWereZombies

I did give you a warning about your brain not being in gear this morning on that other thread, didn't I?

I've confused two recent war films, it's not quite the same.

I schooled you in the other thread. I know it's upsetting but following me around in other threads is just making it worse mate.

1917 - Movie on 12:48 - Jun 6 with 2404 viewsIllinoisblue

Watched it last night too and thought it was pretty poor. Fancy camera work aside it’s just a lite version of Saving Private Ryan without all the good bits.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

1917 - Movie on 12:50 - Jun 6 with 2385 viewsNthsuffolkblue

I thought it was OK but a bit far-fetched (I know based on some facts but the exigencies like the milk and then the baby and the calm river to sniper, town under bombardment and jumping straight into the river when there was nothing to suggest it was there and the waterfall in that part of the World etc.).

The continuous shot was interesting but I then kept getting into working out where each take started and finished e.g. when they panned past a tree.

Overall worth watching and does give you some idea of what the brutality of war at that time must have been like. I saw it at the cinema and would suspect home viewing would not be as impressive.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

1917 - Movie on 12:58 - Jun 6 with 2356 viewsitfcjoe

1917 - Movie on 11:33 - Jun 6 by BarcaBlue

It's on my "to watch" list, is it on Prime or Netflix?

I have some Rakuten vouchers so watched it on there

1917 - Movie on 15:28 - Jun 6 with 2205 viewsBluefish

1917 - Movie on 12:37 - Jun 6 by BrixtonBlue

Aw bless. Blubfish has been caught demonstrably being wrong and now he's backtracking. How cute.

WTF are you jabbering about now you desperate fool?

1917 - Movie on 15:36 - Jun 6 with 2186 viewsjeera

Is it Amazon Prime or something Joe?

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

1917 - Movie on 15:53 - Jun 6 with 2157 viewsKeno

1917 - Movie on 15:36 - Jun 6 by jeera

Is it Amazon Prime or something Joe?

its on amazon prime

Its ok, but its no escape to victory

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

1917 - Movie on 15:53 - Jun 6 with 2157 viewsBlueNomad

1917 - Movie on 12:50 - Jun 6 by Nthsuffolkblue

I thought it was OK but a bit far-fetched (I know based on some facts but the exigencies like the milk and then the baby and the calm river to sniper, town under bombardment and jumping straight into the river when there was nothing to suggest it was there and the waterfall in that part of the World etc.).

The continuous shot was interesting but I then kept getting into working out where each take started and finished e.g. when they panned past a tree.

Overall worth watching and does give you some idea of what the brutality of war at that time must have been like. I saw it at the cinema and would suspect home viewing would not be as impressive.

Yeah I was immersed in it until he became immersed in the waterfall. I’m not aware of any in Northern France and at that moment I clicked out of my involvement.
1917 - Movie on 15:58 - Jun 6 with 2139 viewsjeera

1917 - Movie on 15:53 - Jun 6 by Keno

its on amazon prime

Its ok, but its no escape to victory

Well naturally.

Thank you keno.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

1917 - Movie on 16:02 - Jun 6 with 2131 viewsBrixtonBlue

1917 - Movie on 15:28 - Jun 6 by Bluefish

WTF are you jabbering about now you desperate fool?

It's all there Blubbers.

I said it was something like 3 shots not 1.

You came in and said "It is 1."

I then linked showing it definitely wasn't 1.

You then did an incredible backtrack saying you meant it was meant to look like 1 but of course it was more.

Just hold your hands up and admit you were wrong Blubbers. I know it's hard for you because you have this weird thing about 'I'm never wrong' going on, but you've been caught bang to rights. Best just to hold your hands up.

1917 - Movie on 16:03 - Jun 6 with 2128 viewsKeno

1917 - Movie on 15:58 - Jun 6 by jeera

Well naturally.

Thank you keno.

always happy to give helpful insightful feedback

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024