Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
BLM international protests, genuine question 17:51 - Jun 6 with 3857 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Ok maybe let’s narrow it down to the UK. Is this a show in solidarity with those protesting in the United States or is this challenging issues closer to home? Don’t shoot me down but I’m rather curious what has led people to the streets in such numbers during a global pandemic (if anyone knows or what coverage it has been getting). The government has been very under fire in the UK about its handling including the recent easing of restrictions.

In some respects there does seem to be a little vagueness surrounding the movement and objectives so please feel free to enlighten if you know.

If the answer is that the world has had enough of the evil United States and seeing its systemic racism on social media then I would happily debate some of those view points but I am not sure if that is actually the case or not. When you see what’s happening in Hong Kong etc its interesting that this is taking central stage, is it very much a youth movement?
BLM international protests, genuine question on 17:53 - Jun 6 with 3161 viewsm14_blue

Bit of both from what I can gather.
BLM international protests, genuine question on 18:01 - Jun 6 with 3138 viewsTrequartista

Mostly solidarity with the US, none of this would be happening here otherwise. The racial issues here are also across BAME rather than specifically black. I've seen overhead footage of the Ipswich demo and the social distancing looks good actually, but in London not. Absolute madness. Covid-19 doesn't think oh this is a worthy cause, i'll hang back.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

BLM international protests, genuine question on 18:06 - Jun 6 with 3115 viewsbluelagos

Definitely a bit of both. Many of the speakers today in Ipswich referenced deaths in custody of young black in the UK. Also lots of talk of stop and search misuse by the police.

But of course George Floyd was remembered too.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

BLM international protests, genuine question on 18:10 - Jun 6 with 3093 viewsBlueBadger

BLM international protests, genuine question on 18:06 - Jun 6 by bluelagos

Definitely a bit of both. Many of the speakers today in Ipswich referenced deaths in custody of young black in the UK. Also lots of talk of stop and search misuse by the police.

Lest we forget, a local connection to BLM.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/dalian-atkinson-police-racism-taser-death-m

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

BLM international protests, genuine question on 18:14 - Jun 6 with 3074 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

BLM international protests, genuine question on 18:01 - Jun 6 by Trequartista

Mostly solidarity with the US, none of this would be happening here otherwise. The racial issues here are also across BAME rather than specifically black. I've seen overhead footage of the Ipswich demo and the social distancing looks good actually, but in London not. Absolute madness. Covid-19 doesn't think oh this is a worthy cause, i'll hang back.

For those to breaking the guidelines and hitting to the streets you’d assume they have a big passion about the issue. Has there ever been protests before on the matter? Do they know the stats from last year for example, about how many black unarmed individuals were killed by police in America? A lot at play here, social media and movements is very interesting nowadays. I did have to laugh at the hands up don’t shoot stuff to the unarmed UK police.

As a resident over here I guess thank you for your support for safety of individuals in this country... albeit a little confused!
BLM international protests, genuine question on 18:15 - Jun 6 with 3064 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Ok fair enough! Thanks
BLM international protests, genuine question on 18:17 - Jun 6 with 3051 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

BLM international protests, genuine question on 18:10 - Jun 6 by BlueBadger

Lest we forget, a local connection to BLM.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/dalian-atkinson-police-racism-taser-death-m

That’s an interesting read.
BLM international protests, genuine question on 18:17 - Jun 6 with 3056 viewsPrideOfTheEast

For many people protesting I expect it’s quite different - perhaps lots see it as the right time to highlight issues in the UK too.
Login to get fewer ads

BLM international protests, genuine question on 18:21 - Jun 6 with 3034 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

BLM international protests, genuine question on 18:17 - Jun 6 by PrideOfTheEast

For many people protesting I expect it’s quite different - perhaps lots see it as the right time to highlight issues in the UK too.

From memory a lot of stop and search stuff in the news about unfairly affecting people of color but then Khan took a lot of heat in reducing that? Knife crime clearly been a big issue over the last 4/5 years in the city.
BLM international protests, genuine question on 18:27 - Jun 6 with 3007 viewsBlueBadger

BLM international protests, genuine question on 18:21 - Jun 6 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

From memory a lot of stop and search stuff in the news about unfairly affecting people of color but then Khan took a lot of heat in reducing that? Knife crime clearly been a big issue over the last 4/5 years in the city.

That's probably more down to a decades' worth of cuts to policing across the board (particularly at community policing level) from central government though. Less visible, active community princes results in weaker community relations.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

BLM international protests, genuine question on 18:33 - Jun 6 with 2988 viewsPinewoodblue

BLM international protests, genuine question on 18:17 - Jun 6 by PrideOfTheEast

Ongoing campaign taking advantage of recent events to bring the issues to the surface.

Timing is unfortunate seems we have tens of thousands on wannabe Dominics. You have to hope none of those on the streets come into contact with COVID-19 and pass it onto family and/ or friends.

Valid cause to take to the streets over but inappropriate at this time. Guess they feel invincible, or above the law.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

BLM international protests, genuine question on 18:36 - Jun 6 with 2973 viewsbluelagos

BLM international protests, genuine question on 18:33 - Jun 6 by Pinewoodblue

Ongoing campaign taking advantage of recent events to bring the issues to the surface.

Timing is unfortunate seems we have tens of thousands on wannabe Dominics. You have to hope none of those on the streets come into contact with COVID-19 and pass it onto family and/ or friends.

Valid cause to take to the streets over but inappropriate at this time. Guess they feel invincible, or above the law.

Above the law? Demonstrating isn't unlawful. If it were, the police would have been legally justified in preventing the demonstrations.

BLM international protests, genuine question on 18:58 - Jun 6 with 2910 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

BLM international protests, genuine question on 18:36 - Jun 6 by bluelagos

Above the law? Demonstrating isn't unlawful. If it were, the police would have been legally justified in preventing the demonstrations.

Some of them need an education though. They’ve not only graffitied the Churchill statue on D-Day, who defeated the Nazis. They have defaced the Lincoln statue, he literally freed the slaves. I must be missing something.
BLM international protests, genuine question on 19:02 - Jun 6 with 2895 viewsronnyd

BLM international protests, genuine question on 18:36 - Jun 6 by bluelagos

His last sentence, does Pinewood mean the guidelines, not the law as such?
[Post edited 6 Jun 2020 19:03]
BLM international protests, genuine question on 19:02 - Jun 6 with 2897 viewsbluelagos

BLM international protests, genuine question on 18:58 - Jun 6 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Some of them need an education though. They’ve not only graffitied the Churchill statue on D-Day, who defeated the Nazis. They have defaced the Lincoln statue, he literally freed the slaves. I must be missing something.

I think what you are missing (and apologies for being so blunt) is a sense of proportion. Tens of thousands of people peacefully protesting today and people focus on the misbehaviour of what, a few hundred?

Yep, some of them need an education about xyz. But those who focus on that miss the message from the thousands who behave perfectly sensibly.

BLM international protests, genuine question on 19:09 - Jun 6 with 2868 viewsgordon

BLM international protests, genuine question on 18:58 - Jun 6 by Joey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Lots of people would describe Churchill as racist or a white supremacist, e.g. (this is from a Tory)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/churchill-was-a-racist-but-still-a-great-man-
BLM international protests, genuine question on 19:25 - Jun 6 with 2817 viewseireblue

BLM international protests, genuine question on 18:33 - Jun 6 by Pinewoodblue

Or maybe, they understand the dangers of COVID perfectly well.

And still feel it is necessary to protest.

That should give people pause for thought.
BLM international protests, genuine question on 19:30 - Jun 6 with 2797 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

BLM international protests, genuine question on 19:02 - Jun 6 by bluelagos

I think what you are missing (and apologies for being so blunt) is a sense of proportion. Tens of thousands of people peacefully protesting today and people focus on the misbehaviour of what, a few hundred?

Yep, some of them need an education about xyz. But those who focus on that miss the message from the thousands who behave perfectly sensibly.

Yes, some of them need an education and the irony and stupidity of these targets is a bit ridiculous. Never said it was the majority.
BLM international protests, genuine question on 19:39 - Jun 6 with 2766 viewslowhouseblue

the deaths in custody figures don't necessarily back up that line:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/52890363

out of 163 such deaths in 10 years 140 were white. blacks were over represented relative to their proportion of the total population, but underrepresented relative to the number arrested. so relative to those actually in custody fewer blacks died.

why more blacks were arrested relative to population is a bigger question. it might be that they are more likely to be in deprived areas, it might be that they have a younger average age, it might that they are more likely to live in urban areas, it might be racism.

but the deaths in custody data by itself doesn't really provide evidence of racism in uk policing.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2020 19:40]

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

BLM international protests, genuine question on 19:45 - Jun 6 with 2740 viewsnoggin

BLM international protests, genuine question on 19:09 - Jun 6 by gordon

Lots of people would describe Churchill as racist or a white supremacist, e.g. (this is from a Tory)

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/churchill-was-a-racist-but-still-a-great-man-

Churchill was openly racist. Most people ignore that fact.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

BLM international protests, genuine question on 19:51 - Jun 6 with 2714 viewsnoggin

BLM international protests, genuine question on 19:39 - Jun 6 by lowhouseblue

the deaths in custody figures don't necessarily back up that line:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/52890363

out of 163 such deaths in 10 years 140 were white. blacks were over represented relative to their proportion of the total population, but underrepresented relative to the number arrested. so relative to those actually in custody fewer blacks died.

why more blacks were arrested relative to population is a bigger question. it might be that they are more likely to be in deprived areas, it might be that they have a younger average age, it might that they are more likely to live in urban areas, it might be racism.

but the deaths in custody data by itself doesn't really provide evidence of racism in uk policing.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2020 19:40]

Dying in custody not the same as being killed by the police.

BLM international protests, genuine question on 19:53 - Jun 6 with 2706 viewsSirBasilBrush

It's a nothingburger. Even these promises of so-called “police reform” will probably be nothing more than a clever shuffling of funding and making police officers sit through a 30-minute seminar. Just another mass hysteria event perpetrated by globocorps.
BLM international protests, genuine question on 19:54 - Jun 6 with 2697 viewslowhouseblue

BLM international protests, genuine question on 19:51 - Jun 6 by noggin

Dying in custody not the same as being killed by the police.

and do you have any data on that?

edit: death in custody includes those 'detained' by police, so anyone arrested - not just those in a police station.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2020 19:55]

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

BLM international protests, genuine question on 20:02 - Jun 6 with 2657 viewsnoggin

BLM international protests, genuine question on 19:54 - Jun 6 by lowhouseblue

and do you have any data on that?

edit: death in custody includes those 'detained' by police, so anyone arrested - not just those in a police station.
[Post edited 6 Jun 2020 19:55]

I don't have the data. I was simply pointing out that deaths in custody can include suicide and overdose etc.

BLM international protests, genuine question on 20:32 - Jun 6 with 2597 viewsBlueBadger

BLM international protests, genuine question on 19:53 - Jun 6 by SirBasilBrush

It's a nothingburger. Even these promises of so-called “police reform” will probably be nothing more than a clever shuffling of funding and making police officers sit through a 30-minute seminar. Just another mass hysteria event perpetrated by globocorps.

How's the weather there in Moscow this evening?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024