Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England ‘66 World Cup triumph on C4 16:49 - Jun 7 with 1702 viewsChrisd

Never seen the game from start to finish, just the key highlights, but thoroughly enjoyed it. Thought Geoff Hurst’s input was insightful and added to the whole experience. Even though it was 54 years ago, it still makes you proud.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

England ‘66 World Cup triumph on C4 on 17:09 - Jun 7 with 1649 viewsRyorry

Oh damn, guess I've missed it then (and Sony TV doesn't do ITV hub app, grrr!)

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

England ‘66 World Cup triumph on C4 on 17:10 - Jun 7 with 1645 viewsfactual_blue

England ‘66 World Cup triumph on C4 on 17:09 - Jun 7 by Ryorry

Oh damn, guess I've missed it then (and Sony TV doesn't do ITV hub app, grrr!)

It wasn't on an ITV channel. Pay attention!

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

England ‘66 World Cup triumph on C4 on 17:11 - Jun 7 with 1644 viewsRyorry

England ‘66 World Cup triumph on C4 on 17:10 - Jun 7 by factual_blue

It wasn't on an ITV channel. Pay attention!

I thought ITV hub covered C4 as well?

England ‘66 World Cup triumph on C4 on 17:18 - Jun 7 with 1635 viewsmikeybloo88

I've never seen the whole game before...I hadn't realised Bobby Moore had had such a tremendous match. He was everywhere...
England ‘66 World Cup triumph on C4 on 17:18 - Jun 7 with 1629 viewsfactual_blue

England ‘66 World Cup triumph on C4 on 17:11 - Jun 7 by Ryorry

I thought ITV hub covered C4 as well?

You want All 4.

England ‘66 World Cup triumph on C4 on 17:21 - Jun 7 with 1620 viewsRyorry

England ‘66 World Cup triumph on C4 on 17:18 - Jun 7 by factual_blue

You want All 4.

Ah, thanks, tho I have a nasty feeling that Sony excluded that as well (the issue is part of the Android-Apple rivalry, apparently).

England ‘66 World Cup triumph on C4 on 17:39 - Jun 7 with 1577 viewsbluewhite

And while England kept proudly looking back at that game, now 54 years ago, Germany went and won 3 more World Cups (on top of the one they already had at the time); plus 3 Euro titles; plus a good few runners up medals they don't even care about.
Ah well.
England ‘66 World Cup triumph on C4 on 17:46 - Jun 7 with 1551 viewsElephantintheRoom

To think that West Germany as was had never beaten mighty England in a competitive game - and the match v Argentina and then Portugal, Eusebio and all were seen as the real finals.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Login to get fewer ads

Lambert out! on 17:50 - Jun 7 with 1542 viewsSwansea_Blue

Never seen it either. Still haven't as I didn't know it was on.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

England ‘66 World Cup triumph on C4 on 18:53 - Jun 7 with 1487 viewsfactual_blue

'Der ball hast nicts der line vercrossen! Warum hast du ein goal awarden?'*

[Russian accent]'I was at Stalingrad'[/Russian accent]

I would love that story to be true, but I don't think it is.

*I failed German 'O' level. My command of the language has improved since then.

England ‘66 World Cup triumph on C4 on 19:22 - Jun 7 with 1460 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Who were we playing?

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

England ‘66 World Cup triumph on C4 on 08:59 - Jun 8 with 1280 viewsElephantintheRoom

For true authenticity you need to watch it in grainy black and white

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

England ‘66 World Cup triumph on C4 on 10:20 - Jun 8 with 1237 viewsChrisd

England ‘66 World Cup triumph on C4 on 08:59 - Jun 8 by ElephantintheRoom

For true authenticity you need to watch it in grainy black and white

The match was shown in black and white Elephantintheroom, but the replays of the goals and certain other highlights were in colour. Thought C4's coverage was really well done.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2020 12:35]

England ‘66 World Cup triumph on C4 on 13:28 - Jun 8 with 1161 viewsTJS

England ‘66 World Cup triumph on C4 on 10:20 - Jun 8 by Chrisd

The match was shown in black and white Elephantintheroom, but the replays of the goals and certain other highlights were in colour. Thought C4's coverage was really well done.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2020 12:35]

When you say Elephantintheroom I assume you mean CRT which ironically still produces what is probably a sharper image for non-HD black and white transmissions.
[Post edited 8 Jun 2020 13:29]
England ‘66 World Cup triumph on C4 on 17:17 - Jun 8 with 1087 viewsRadlett_blue

England ‘66 World Cup triumph on C4 on 17:18 - Jun 7 by mikeybloo88

I've never seen the whole game before...I hadn't realised Bobby Moore had had such a tremendous match. He was everywhere...

I watched the whole game for the first time in 1990. My main takeaway was how awesome a player Bobby Moore was at his peak. I did see him play live a few times in the 1970s & I could see then what an unbelievably good passer of the ball he was for a centre back.
I also recall thinking both the England full backs had off days, notably George Cohen, whom I thought was awful. It also wasn't a particularly high quality game on a slippery pitch.
I was amused by the crowd, after a succession of dubious decisions against England by Herr Dienst, launching into a chorus of "Oh my, what a referee", with no foul language at all. Different times.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

England ‘66 World Cup triumph on C4 on 17:31 - Jun 8 with 1060 viewsChrisd

England ‘66 World Cup triumph on C4 on 17:17 - Jun 8 by Radlett_blue

I watched the whole game for the first time in 1990. My main takeaway was how awesome a player Bobby Moore was at his peak. I did see him play live a few times in the 1970s & I could see then what an unbelievably good passer of the ball he was for a centre back.
I also recall thinking both the England full backs had off days, notably George Cohen, whom I thought was awful. It also wasn't a particularly high quality game on a slippery pitch.
I was amused by the crowd, after a succession of dubious decisions against England by Herr Dienst, launching into a chorus of "Oh my, what a referee", with no foul language at all. Different times.

As a final, I thought that was a very entertaining contest, especially the magnitude of the game. There’s been some right shockers in the final, but as a fan I’m sure you’d feel you had got your money’s worth with both teams trying to win it.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024