Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
This is quite an interesting development 09:33 - Jun 8 with 1739 viewsGuthrum

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/07/minneapolis-city-council-defund-

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

This is quite an interesting development on 11:38 - Jun 8 with 1645 viewshampstead_blue

the entire country is broken.

Need to scrap the constitution and start again.

There is a song there.....maybe start with the word...'Imagine'......

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

This is quite an interesting development on 11:49 - Jun 8 with 1626 viewsStokieBlue

Reading their FAQ I feel they have a very idealised view of how people behave and how this would work. I agree with some of it, certainly more trained people dealing with mental health related calls rather than police would be good for instance.

I do think there are some naive assumptions in there though with regards to the long-term aims.

Certainly an important development and it will be interesting to see how it pans out.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

This is quite an interesting development on 12:27 - Jun 8 with 1567 viewsWeWereZombies

This is quite an interesting development on 11:38 - Jun 8 by hampstead_blue

the entire country is broken.

Need to scrap the constitution and start again.

There is a song there.....maybe start with the word...'Imagine'......

I have not read The Guardian piece (yet), still reading a piece from The Atlantic posted on another thread - this has given me a quote to, hopefully, make you think on the constitution of the United States:

'Trump’s first statement as president, his inaugural address, was an unprecedented assault on American democracy and American values. Remember: He described America’s capital city, America’s government, America’s congressmen and senators–all democratically elected and chosen by Americans, according to America’s 227-year-old Constitution–as an “establishment” that had profited at the expense of “the people.” “Their victories have not been your victories,” he said. “Their triumphs have not been your triumphs.” Trump was stating, as clearly as he possibly could, that a new set of values was now replacing the old, though of course the nature of those new values was not yet clear.'

Also, do not forget that East Anglia's own Tom Paine had a hand in drafting that constitution:

https://scholarship.law.georgetown.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?referer= https://www.google.com/&httpsredir=1&article=1285&context=facpub

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

This is quite an interesting development on 12:51 - Jun 8 with 1525 viewsGlasgowBlue

Something I suggested last week was to look at how the RUC was disbanded and re booted.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

This is quite an interesting development on 13:04 - Jun 8 with 1503 viewssparks

This is quite an interesting development on 12:51 - Jun 8 by GlasgowBlue

Something I suggested last week was to look at how the RUC was disbanded and re booted.

They seem to be suggesting more than a reboot- rather some sort of community led safety arrangement and reduced funding.

It seems it be nudging into batshyte crazy territory!

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

This is quite an interesting development on 13:06 - Jun 8 with 1493 viewsLankHenners

Good, long overdue.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

This is quite an interesting development on 15:13 - Jun 8 with 1400 viewsIllinoisblue

This is quite an interesting development on 13:04 - Jun 8 by sparks

They seem to be suggesting more than a reboot- rather some sort of community led safety arrangement and reduced funding.

It seems it be nudging into batshyte crazy territory!

Indeed. It’s an utterly absurd idea. If even 1% of cops are racist scum, how does that warrant disbanding the entire police force?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

This is quite an interesting development on 15:44 - Jun 8 with 1369 viewsSteve_M

Seems to be what happened in Camden, NJ too. Oddly one of the more peaceful protests over the last week.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Login to get fewer ads

This is quite an interesting development on 15:45 - Jun 8 with 1367 viewsnoggin

This is quite an interesting development on 15:13 - Jun 8 by Illinoisblue

Indeed. It’s an utterly absurd idea. If even 1% of cops are racist scum, how does that warrant disbanding the entire police force?

I've read that Police academy is 6 months of training in America and even less in the UK. That seems very little time to educate someone in such an important role.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

This is quite an interesting development on 16:00 - Jun 8 with 1331 viewshampstead_blue

So different it could not be more different.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

This is quite an interesting development on 17:53 - Jun 8 with 1242 viewsbluelagos

This is quite an interesting development on 15:13 - Jun 8 by Illinoisblue

If an organisation is corrupt to its core, I'd argue disbanding it is the only solution.

In Baltimore - 57 out of 57 police applauded their two colleagues who were identified pushing over a 75 year old protester. I can see no other response in that scenario.

What you replace it with, is a whole different question of course and not one I have strong opinions on.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

This is quite an interesting development on 19:02 - Jun 8 with 1195 viewssparks

This is quite an interesting development on 17:53 - Jun 8 by bluelagos

If an organisation is corrupt to its core, I'd argue disbanding it is the only solution.

In Baltimore - 57 out of 57 police applauded their two colleagues who were identified pushing over a 75 year old protester. I can see no other response in that scenario.

What you replace it with, is a whole different question of course and not one I have strong opinions on.

That incident is a difficult one. Force was minimal- there was no intent to harm there. The reaction afterwards and the claim he tripped were disgusting, and the results (and lack of judgment in terms of a relatively frail person approaching them) troubling.

However- if they had ordes to robustly clear a square- that was hardly excessive force. Rather it was excessive consequences.

That, however, is besides the point. If its corrupt and screwed- then I agree you have to do something significant. Its the idea of some sort of community safety organisation that is nuts. Sometimes you need police who can be robust.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

This is quite an interesting development on 19:51 - Jun 8 with 1155 viewsbluelagos

This is quite an interesting development on 19:02 - Jun 8 by sparks

That incident is a difficult one. Force was minimal- there was no intent to harm there. The reaction afterwards and the claim he tripped were disgusting, and the results (and lack of judgment in terms of a relatively frail person approaching them) troubling.

However- if they had ordes to robustly clear a square- that was hardly excessive force. Rather it was excessive consequences.

That, however, is besides the point. If its corrupt and screwed- then I agree you have to do something significant. Its the idea of some sort of community safety organisation that is nuts. Sometimes you need police who can be robust.

If the police had picked him up and acted in a humane manner, rather than stepping over him as blood poured out of his head, I might agree with you.

And given that was how they behaved and then chose to applaud their colleagues, I think the point stands.

As for what should come next, have no firm thoughts other than they should understand that protect and serve relates to the people, not to their own.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

This is quite an interesting development on 19:58 - Jun 8 with 1143 viewssparks

This is quite an interesting development on 19:51 - Jun 8 by bluelagos

If the police had picked him up and acted in a humane manner, rather than stepping over him as blood poured out of his head, I might agree with you.

And given that was how they behaved and then chose to applaud their colleagues, I think the point stands.

As for what should come next, have no firm thoughts other than they should understand that protect and serve relates to the people, not to their own.

You have pretty much repeated what I said.

One bloke did try to stop but was clearly prevented. Which was disgusting.

This is quite an interesting development on 10:00 - Jun 9 with 1041 viewsWeWereZombies

This is quite an interesting development on 19:51 - Jun 8 by bluelagos

One thing that struck me about the clip of Martin Gugino being pushed over was the military nature of the police operation, in other words not only has they preempted Trump's intention to put the Army on the streets but they had trained for the event as an 'Emergency Response Team'. So the threatened group resignation of this team in Buffalo (did someone say Baltimore earlier in the thread, that is at least a six hour drive away) is unlikely to change anything if the group think that organises anyone who joins the force does not change.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024