Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Car-sickness 11:03 - Jun 10 with 3500 viewsSharkey

I'm wondering, is car-sickness still common? I hated going on long journeys when I was a kid, but I'm wondering if the entertainment options and the relative smoothness of modern gears means it's no longer so prevalent. (My mother's palliative was a glass of Stone's ginger wine, even when I was about 7.)
My Mother used to.... on 11:08 - Jun 10 with 3460 viewsBloots

...swear that sitting on a newspaper cured car sickness.

I also remember those dangly bits of rubber (?) that hung from the backs of cars, I think they were meant to be a cure.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Car-sickness on 11:09 - Jun 10 with 3454 viewsUB9Blue

Blimey, that bought back some bad memories.

We used to visit my Mum's family on the West cost of Ireland and this involved a car journey to Fishguard, ferry to Rosslare and another 7 hour drive across country. I suffered both car and sea sickness so this was the ultimate torture for me and everyone else with the amount of times we had to stop!

You don't hear much about it these days but I sometimes get a bit queasy if in a car with someone who continually dabs the accelerator.
Car-sickness on 11:13 - Jun 10 with 3434 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Both Mrs Pinewood and her daughter suffer from it if sitting in the back seats. Huey and Ralph have made a few appearances in the past.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Car-sickness on 11:15 - Jun 10 with 3420 viewsnorth_stand77

I used to get car/coach/train sick as a child - and still do, unless I'm driving..
Am always physically sick on planes too, despite taking tablets, wearing wrist bands and even drinking lots of brandy at 8am before a flight. Nothing works for me, not even hypnotherapy I had years ago.
Car-sickness on 11:17 - Jun 10 with 3408 viewsLeighOnSeaBlue

My 4 year old daughter can't go anywhere in a car without being sick, we've tried everything and my wife sits in the back with her ready to catch it! Makes driving anywhere a mission
Car-sickness on 11:24 - Jun 10 with 3385 viewsGuthrum

Also possibly the fact that cars no longer have those rubbery fake-leather seats which used to absolutely stink in hot weather (not to mention burning the backs of the legs of children in short trousers).

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

My Mother used to.... on 11:29 - Jun 10 with 3363 viewsNewcyBlue

My Mother used to.... on 11:08 - Jun 10 by Bloots

I also remember those dangly bits of rubber (?) that hung from the backs of cars, I think they were meant to be a cure.

The rubber strips were anti-static.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

My Mother used to.... on 11:35 - Jun 10 with 3350 viewsSharkey

My Mother used to.... on 11:08 - Jun 10 by Bloots

Was there a scientific explanation offered for the newspaper tactic?
Login to get fewer ads

Car-sickness on 11:38 - Jun 10 with 3333 viewsDebsyAngel

I still get it on occasion, in taxis and on buses, and find that sitting still just looking straight ahead helped me. I got it really bad on a train last October when went to Manchester. The tilting train and sitting on a backward facing seat saw me nearly passing out at the London station on the way home.
Car-sickness on 11:44 - Jun 10 with 3319 viewsUB9Blue

Car-sickness on 11:24 - Jun 10 by Guthrum

Also possibly the fact that cars no longer have those rubbery fake-leather seats which used to absolutely stink in hot weather (not to mention burning the backs of the legs of children in short trousers).

We had nasty vinyl seats in our Cortina (mk1) and your right the smell and heat off them was disgusting.

I was always ok if I sat in the front and as our car was so old I could as it had a bench seat. Obviously seat belts weren't an issue back then
Car-sickness on 11:52 - Jun 10 with 3304 viewsSharkey

Car-sickness on 11:44 - Jun 10 by UB9Blue

We had nasty vinyl seats in our Cortina (mk1) and your right the smell and heat off them was disgusting.

I was always ok if I sat in the front and as our car was so old I could as it had a bench seat. Obviously seat belts weren't an issue back then

The smell of petrol at petrol stations used to finish me off.
Car-sickness on 11:58 - Jun 10 with 3286 viewseastangliaisblue

Never been car sick, thankfully. I was once violently ill, for a full day in Copenhagen. I went to one of those believe it or not museums. They had this walkway in a tunnel, you walk down it and the tunnel starts rotating. I couldn't make it to the other end without falling over. Being sick on the streets of Copenhagen, all the way back to my hotel wasn't pleasant!
Still can't believe how ill it made me.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2020 12:00]
Absolutely not.... on 11:59 - Jun 10 with 3277 viewsBloots

My Mother used to.... on 11:35 - Jun 10 by Sharkey

Was there a scientific explanation offered for the newspaper tactic?

….other than my Nan had probably told my Mum.

Old wives tale, innit.

TWTD Leadership Group/Elite Level Supporter/Anti-Bullying Crusader

Car-sickness on 12:00 - Jun 10 with 3275 viewssparks

I doubt that modern cars help much- they are too soft and sloppy. Though the air con may assist.

My kids both suffered it when younger. Need to see out the front, which is hard for small kids, and avoid reading / devices.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Car-sickness on 12:10 - Jun 10 with 3230 viewsBlueBadger

I still do if I sit in the backs of cars or for any length of time on a bus. So much so that if we get a taxi to the airport, I have to sit up front with the driver, much to mine(nd quite often their) distress.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Car-sickness on 12:23 - Jun 10 with 3211 viewsGeoffSentence

I still get it a bit if in the back of a car, and a lot if I have been drinking heavily the night before travelling.

As a youngster travel sickness was mostly invoked by my parents habit of smoking in the car, that really made me puke, but on the plus side it put me off smoking.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Car-sickness on 13:13 - Jun 10 with 3153 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

My lad gets car sick.

Also he is Ok watching a DVD, but watching an IPad makes his sickness worse.

Stugeron is the answer.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Car-sickness on 13:18 - Jun 10 with 3146 viewsblueprint

I always find it’s an excuse for people to have to sit in the front of a car.
Car-sickness on 13:35 - Jun 10 with 3124 viewsronnyd

I,m in my 70s and i still can't travel in seats that face rearward. Ok with driving and as a passenger but not keen in the back. Mostly alright on a bus or train.
Car-sickness on 11:45 - Jun 12 with 2979 viewssparks

Car-sickness on 13:35 - Jun 10 by ronnyd

I,m in my 70s and i still can't travel in seats that face rearward. Ok with driving and as a passenger but not keen in the back. Mostly alright on a bus or train.

I always prefer facing forward on a train.

I struggle to work on a train as well- reading or staring at a screen for more than about 15 minutes whilst in motion makes me quite queasy.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Car-sickness on 11:49 - Jun 12 with 2969 viewsKieran_Knows

Not related to car sickness in anyway at all, but if I sit in the back seats of a car, it can only be behind the passenger seat. Something about sitting behind the drivers seat just makes me feel proper uncomfortable. Whilst most people 'baggsy' a the front seat, I always baggsy back left!

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Car-sickness on 14:15 - Jun 12 with 2895 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Car-sickness on 11:49 - Jun 12 by Kieran_Knows

Not related to car sickness in anyway at all, but if I sit in the back seats of a car, it can only be behind the passenger seat. Something about sitting behind the drivers seat just makes me feel proper uncomfortable. Whilst most people 'baggsy' a the front seat, I always baggsy back left!

Are you Jonas Knudsen?

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Car-sickness on 15:22 - Jun 12 with 2850 viewsLibero

Car-sickness on 14:15 - Jun 12 by StochesStotasBlewe

Are you Jonas Knudsen?

That's about the only way I'd describe Jonas Knudsen as a 'comfortable left back'
Absolutely not.... on 18:25 - Jun 12 with 2800 viewsnorth_stand77

Absolutely not.... on 11:59 - Jun 10 by Bloots

….other than my Nan had probably told my Mum.

Old wives tale, innit.

They still do this at one of my 6 year old grandkids schools if they have a day out in the minibus or coach. It worked for him, and he only lasts about 10 minutes in any other vehicle normally!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024