Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rick Parry calling for the end of parachute payments 11:29 - Jun 10 with 3187 viewsGeoffSentence

Rick Parry, the EFL chairman, was on R4 this morning calling for parachute payments to be ended, he said something like they were a massive distortion. He seems to be peeing against the wind here as he has been calling for this for a while and the Premier League keep telling him to get lost.

So far as my feelings about PP's go, I can't help but recall that we were the last team relegated from the premier league without them and all three relegated teams went in to admin that year. Given that, I generally think that there is a case for them, but not to the degree that they are paid out. Two years max maybe, like it is for teams who go straight back down, for all relegated clubs.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Rick Parry calling for the end of parachute payments on 11:35 - Jun 10 with 3127 viewsBlueRaider

Agree that you can't strip them out, that would be a 90% TV revenue drop and would leave teams having to basically completely changing their squads. Already the teams that come down are not bouncing back as the 50% drop causes so much turmoil for them.

I think you need to end the cliff edges, TV money needs to be more evenly split, with something like the Championship getting 70% of premier league, league one getting 70% of Championship etc.

Blog: Yellow Cards and Why They Bug Me

Rick Parry calling for the end of parachute payments on 11:35 - Jun 10 with 3127 viewsHerbivore

I think one year max. If you have to sell your big earners on the cheap then you have to sell your big earners on the cheap. Even at 2 years you will see sides with parachute payments gambling on going back up in that first season and having the resources to buy some of the best talent in the Championship to give themselves a competitive advantage. They've gone so far beyond being a safety net, which is what they were meant to be.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Rick Parry calling for the end of parachute payments on 11:38 - Jun 10 with 3119 viewsPhilTWTD

If I remember rightly they were his idea in the first place when he was chief exec of the Premier League.

Think they did exist when we got relegated but were nothing like as huge as they are now, certainly didn't distort the Championship in the manner they do now.
Rick Parry calling for the end of parachute payments on 11:38 - Jun 10 with 3115 viewsIpswichKnight

One year maximum, you need to make sure your player contracts reflect the league you will be in for the start of the season, we surprisingly had good contracts that made it clear if we get relegated from the Championship player wages will drop, I suspect a lot of PL clubs do not have those provisions in there players contracts.

However I have more chance of winning every lottery in the world 3 times in a row than the PL changing parachute payments.
Rick Parry calling for the end of parachute payments on 11:42 - Jun 10 with 3093 viewsSomethingBlue

To begin with they should be halved and the rest of that money distributed evenly around the league.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Rick Parry calling for the end of parachute payments on 11:46 - Jun 10 with 3060 viewsChrisd

Rick Parry calling for the end of parachute payments on 11:38 - Jun 10 by PhilTWTD

If I remember rightly they were his idea in the first place when he was chief exec of the Premier League.

Think they did exist when we got relegated but were nothing like as huge as they are now, certainly didn't distort the Championship in the manner they do now.

I doubt he expected the monies to be spent in the manner they have been by relegated clubs. It's just corrupted the whole system in regards to Championship sides chasing that EPL dream and putting their own futures in jeopardy.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Rick Parry calling for the end of parachute payments on 12:01 - Jun 10 with 3007 viewsuefacup81

Forgive me if my understanding is wrong, but surely they should be linked to certain expenditures rather than just being a lump sum to be spent as the receiving club chooses.

Perhaps, rather than being lump sum payments, there should be a scheme which covers, say, 50% of player salaries in season 1, and 25% in season 2, with the scheme only covering the wages of contracts entered into whilst the club was in the EPL.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Rick Parry calling for the end of parachute payments on 12:06 - Jun 10 with 2989 viewsGeoffSentence

Rick Parry calling for the end of parachute payments on 11:38 - Jun 10 by PhilTWTD

After a bit of research it seems I was labouring under a misapprehension about us being the last club to be relegated without them. I thought it was all three releagated clubs going into admin that bought them about, but it seems that they were not introduced until 2006/7 which is much later than I thought.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Login to get fewer ads

Rick Parry calling for the end of parachute payments on 12:51 - Jun 10 with 2882 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Rick Parry calling for the end of parachute payments on 12:01 - Jun 10 by uefacup81

Forgive me if my understanding is wrong, but surely they should be linked to certain expenditures rather than just being a lump sum to be spent as the receiving club chooses.

Perhaps, rather than being lump sum payments, there should be a scheme which covers, say, 50% of player salaries in season 1, and 25% in season 2, with the scheme only covering the wages of contracts entered into whilst the club was in the EPL.

Was going to post similar but got sidetracked with work

Really they should just be there to help cover costs of existing contracts the clubs are unable to shift rather than funding spending sprees in an attempt to go back up as per what happens now. Admittedly this would be much more difficult to administer but that would at least mean the payments are being used for the purpose they were intended

That said I am rather torn as the amount of money trickling down from the PL is minimal as it is so cutting off the biggest stream that exists seems somewhat counterproductive (and it does at least get money flowing down through transfer fees). Plus recent seasons indicate that they aren’t the be all and end all - relegated sides still have huge hurdles to overcome not least the general upheaval and mentality around the club

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Rick Parry calling for the end of parachute payments on 13:45 - Jun 10 with 2782 viewsBent_double

I might just be being a bit daft here, but I don't even think redistributing monies more evenly between lower league clubs will help - all that will happen is that players (and their agents) will quickly realise there is more money to be had, and instead of demanding £5k a week in L1/L2, they will want £10k. And clubs - like Ipswich/Sunderland will pay.

I think we need to somehow go the opposite way and drive costs down, especially players' wages. Everyone deserves a decent wage, of course they do, but should players in L1, L2 earn £500k, £1m+ a year?

I don't know what the answer is, there will clearly always be the Manchester Uniteds/Liverpools of this world and the Fleetwoods and Wycombes, if we want football to survive and continue in the current format with 92 clubs/4 professional leagues, something drastic needs to happen soon.

Poll: So what do we think will happen with MM and the Aston Villa job?

Rick Parry calling for the end of parachute payments on 14:26 - Jun 10 with 2709 viewsCrawfordsboot

Rick Parry calling for the end of parachute payments on 13:45 - Jun 10 by Bent_double

I might just be being a bit daft here, but I don't even think redistributing monies more evenly between lower league clubs will help - all that will happen is that players (and their agents) will quickly realise there is more money to be had, and instead of demanding £5k a week in L1/L2, they will want £10k. And clubs - like Ipswich/Sunderland will pay.

I think we need to somehow go the opposite way and drive costs down, especially players' wages. Everyone deserves a decent wage, of course they do, but should players in L1, L2 earn £500k, £1m+ a year?

I don't know what the answer is, there will clearly always be the Manchester Uniteds/Liverpools of this world and the Fleetwoods and Wycombes, if we want football to survive and continue in the current format with 92 clubs/4 professional leagues, something drastic needs to happen soon.

“Everyone deserves a decent wage, of course they do”

No the don’t. Sportsmen and women are entertainers. They are not nurses, teachers or hospital cleaners in necessary and productive jobs. Just as any other entertainer they should be free to earn whatever their audience is prepared to pay to watch them. No more - no less. This is the same argument that women’s football should be free to pay whatever women’s football can afford, instead of equal pay for women’s football alongside men. If their public is prepared to pay more to watch them then they should earn more.

The money going into the top two tiers of English football is available because the public is prepared to pay to watch them. The public are not prepared to pay at the same level to watch Lg 1 and Lg 2 teams. Our league structure at the professional level is the product of an earlier age when fans could not easily travel from Say Portsmouth to Newcastle and so the fans attending matches would be largely local. Now London based supporters can, if the so choose, be season ticket holders at Old Trafford. We no longer need 92 league clubs. It would be sad for fans of clubs in Lg2 to see their clubs go semi professional but really that would seem to be the most logical way forward.

Even if Premiership teams could be persuaded to allocate to lower leagues an increased share of the income they attract I doubt very much that it would make sense to use the income across more than three divisions
Rick Parry calling for the end of parachute payments on 14:29 - Jun 10 with 2694 viewsblueprint

Rick Parry calling for the end of parachute payments on 13:45 - Jun 10 by Bent_double

Regionalising the lower divisions could help , bring back Div3 north and south.
Rick Parry calling for the end of parachute payments on 15:28 - Jun 10 with 2619 viewsCrawfordsboot

Following up on my post above these are the clubs In the Manchester Liverpool, Lanc region and their average gates in 2006/7 (haven’t got more recent data)

1. Manchester United: 75,826 average attendance. 4. Liverpool: 43,561. 6. Manchester City: 39,997. 7. Everton: 36,739. 19. Bolton Wanderers: 23,606. 26. Blackburn Rovers: 21,275. 33. Wigan Athletic: 18,159. 38. Preston North End: 14,430. 44. Burnley: 11,956. 54. Tranmere Rovers: 6,930. 55. Blackpool: 6,877. 56. Oldham Athletic: 6,334. 72. Stockport County: 5,514. 85. Rochdale: 2,898. 87. Bury: 2,588. 91. Accrington Stanley: 2,260.

These are spread across a pretty tight geographical area and highlights why perhaps four or five out of this limited selection are not really a necessary or critical part of the professional game . They ought really to be operating on a part time basis.
Rick Parry calling for the end of parachute payments on 16:09 - Jun 10 with 2577 viewsPinewoodblue

If only the Football League had followed the advice of David Sheepshanks when he was chairman. He was in favour of the Football League agreeing joint packages for the sale of television rights part of that involved the Football League receiving a set percentage of the T V money. Sadly the Football League thought they could do better on their own. I hate to think how much more money Championship and lower league sides would receive now.,

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

Rick Parry calling for the end of parachute payments on 16:15 - Jun 10 with 2554 viewsFifeITFC

I think PP's are needed, but because the money, wages, sponsorships put clubs too adrift from everyone else. They all end up pushing the boat out to either compete or survive in the Prem.

I would suggest a strict wage cap in all 4 divisions, but I know players wouldn't accept it and some "creative accounting" would ensure the players would get more.

Poll: Lambert goes, would you prefer an ex-Town connection replacement or not?

Rick Parry calling for the end of parachute payments on 17:03 - Jun 10 with 2485 viewsrickw

I think they are needed, but as they are clubs take advantage of them and they're just used as a second chance for relegated teams - clubs will operate at a massive loss in the Championship hoping for an immediate return - if this doesn't happen (like at Villa) they will be in serious financial trouble.

I think relegated clubs should apply for them and submit a business plan showing how they'll become a sustainable club in the Championship after parachute payments end. I.e. a small Prem club operates with a budget of £120m, a big Championship club operates on £30m.
The payments would have to be paid monthly and only if the club is following it's own plan.

I know this is dull and complicated but I don't see any realistic alternatives!
[Post edited 10 Jun 2020 17:04]

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Rick Parry calling for the end of parachute payments on 21:49 - Jun 10 with 2308 viewsBtreeBlueBlood

Really can’t see this changing now ! The premier league brand giving up money!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024