Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I’m going on the offensive with this one 14:54 - Jun 10 with 5657 viewsKropotkin123

So Paul Lambert thinks “we had a bad couple of months before we stopped and we have paid for that” and the supporters are meant to sit here and allow the club to rewrite the season.

No, we had an extremely fortunate start in which we played 11 games and got 27 from a possible 33. That was eight wins, three draws and zero losses. We scored 21 goals (third highest) and conceded just five (lowest). We had a GD of 16 (best) and were four points clear with a game in hand over second.

Since the 7th October 2019 we accumulated 25 points from 25 games. That puts us 19th in a division of 23 with just one point per game (ppg). Shrewsbury in 20th actually performed better in ppg (25 from 23). Tranmere in 22nd performed the same (23 from 23).

In fact, only Bolton (23 from 25) and Southend (15 from 24) performed worse on a ppg basis. That means we had relegation form over our past 25 games. We need to wake up to the fact that if we maintain our current management team relegation is currently a statistically backed likelihood.

Lee O’Neill said it was “disappointing... not get an opportunity to see out the season” as if he somehow hasn’t witnessed what we have produced since the beginning of October. It really is hard to under emphasise the disaster that followed our great start. But let me try and contextualize it for him.

We obtained two more points in our first 11 games than we did in our last 25. We scored 21 goals in our first 11 games and just 25 goals in our final 25 games. We conceded five goals in our first 11 games and 31 goals in our final 25 games.

This is not a “bad couple of months”. This is completely unforgivable and sustained poor performance over the majority of the season. The club needs to sufficiently explain this, as currently it has only been done with delusional comments.

Lambert thought that “we had to win about six of [our remaining] games to get into the play-offs” which is what we managed over the previous 25 games. This should bring into sharp focus what they were pinning their hopes on.

After this dreadful season’s campaign had ended we found out from O’Neill that “our target was to try and make the play-offs this year”. Excuse me? That should have been the bare minimum, as evidenced by the start of our campaign. If you aren’t targeting the top two as a relatively financially stable club, then you don’t have the correct winning mentality.

Sure, a reasonable and objective supporter would look at last season's relegation campaign and say they would accept failure at the play-off stage. But none can sanely say that this should have been our target. There should be repercussions for not achieving this.

What’s more, O’Neill has already said that “Paul and his staff are a part of the club’s plans going forward”. That’s right, there is no end of season assessment, nor reflection time and no consequence for finishing 11th in division three.

And the gall to use a word like “forward” after around two decades of going backwards. A significant reason for that is that we consistently appoint PR people, like O’Neill, who clearly know nothing about football, into positions that influence the direction of our club. It is a scandal that needs to be rectified.

In short, O'Neill and Lambert need to go.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

I’m going on the offensive with this one on 14:58 - Jun 10 with 4310 viewsKeno

well said that man

Lambert Out
O'Neill Out

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

I’m going on the offensive with this one on 15:00 - Jun 10 with 4294 viewsStokieBlue

That is all correct.

However I don't think they will take into account what is written on here so how are the supporters going to get that view over to the club?

Realistically we need to leverage the academy where there are some good players and we need a manager willing to do that in a substantial way.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

I’m going on the offensive with this one on 15:07 - Jun 10 with 4260 viewsBrixtonBlue

I’m going on the offensive with this one on 15:00 - Jun 10 by StokieBlue

That is all correct.

However I don't think they will take into account what is written on here so how are the supporters going to get that view over to the club?

Realistically we need to leverage the academy where there are some good players and we need a manager willing to do that in a substantial way.

SB

Send it to Stuart Watson?

I bet Bloots will downarrow this.
Poll: If you work in an office, when are you off over Christmas (not booked holiday)?

I’m going on the offensive with this one on 15:15 - Jun 10 with 4223 viewsBlueBadger

I'd been saying for a while now that our 'blip' in form was the start of this season, rather than the losing runs.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2020 16:23]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

I’m going on the offensive with this one on 15:48 - Jun 10 with 4131 viewsDarth_Koont

I’m going on the offensive with this one on 15:15 - Jun 10 by BlueBadger

I'd been saying for a while now that our 'blip' in form was the start of this season, rather than the losing runs.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2020 16:23]

That was a blip in results. The form was shaky throughout and even during games.

I never really understood what we were trying to do all season. Although playing much more on the break at the beginning of the season meant we were less likely to make mistakes and force them from the opposition instead. Which would have been Mourinhoesque if it wasn't for us then trying to move away from that to something much less substantial and successful that immediately exposed our lack of quality as a unit.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2020 15:50]

Pronouns: He/Him

I’m going on the offensive with this one on 16:20 - Jun 10 with 4048 viewsGarv

Can't argue with anything you've said, but I think the 'bad couple of months' comment stems from the fact that we went back top in January. If we'd had a 'good couple of months' or better since then we would be in the Championship next season. Lambert will protect and defend his performance, so I wouldn't expect him to be any more critical than that to be honest.

What you say about O'Neil I'm sure is probably right, without knowing a huge amount about his credentials personally. He seems more likeable and relatable than Milne and Clegg but again represents a lack of leadership and direction typical of the Evans era.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

I’m going on the offensive with this one on 16:38 - Jun 10 with 3997 viewstractorboy1978

I’m going on the offensive with this one on 16:20 - Jun 10 by Garv

Can't argue with anything you've said, but I think the 'bad couple of months' comment stems from the fact that we went back top in January. If we'd had a 'good couple of months' or better since then we would be in the Championship next season. Lambert will protect and defend his performance, so I wouldn't expect him to be any more critical than that to be honest.

What you say about O'Neil I'm sure is probably right, without knowing a huge amount about his credentials personally. He seems more likeable and relatable than Milne and Clegg but again represents a lack of leadership and direction typical of the Evans era.

O'Neill is trying to do at least three separate roles all in one and probably not paid (relatively) particularly well for it either. He's kind of the academy manager, the DOF and the CEO all in one. We need a proper structure and we have done for a long time.

Ultimately this season is on Lambert though. He had the tools at his disposal to comfortably get us out of this division and he failed dismally.
I’m going on the offensive with this one on 17:10 - Jun 10 with 3912 viewsGarv

I’m going on the offensive with this one on 16:38 - Jun 10 by tractorboy1978

O'Neill is trying to do at least three separate roles all in one and probably not paid (relatively) particularly well for it either. He's kind of the academy manager, the DOF and the CEO all in one. We need a proper structure and we have done for a long time.

Ultimately this season is on Lambert though. He had the tools at his disposal to comfortably get us out of this division and he failed dismally.

I think the squad is quite overrated to be honest and key players have been injured or not fully fit, but I know that's not a popular defence of Lambert and co, so I don't expect much agreement.

Login to get fewer ads

I’m going on the offensive with this one on 17:25 - Jun 10 with 3850 viewsSwansea_Blue

Sorry, I don't want to politicise this but it's the best analogy I can think of. They remind me of Brexiteers or Boris Johnson supporters. They seem convinced everything is wonderful even though the rest of the world can see it's an absolute sh*t show.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I’m going on the offensive with this one on 18:06 - Jun 10 with 3752 viewspointofblue

I’m going on the offensive with this one on 17:25 - Jun 10 by Swansea_Blue

Sorry, I don't want to politicise this but it's the best analogy I can think of. They remind me of Brexiteers or Boris Johnson supporters. They seem convinced everything is wonderful even though the rest of the world can see it's an absolute sh*t show.

I think it’s worse than Boris and the Brexiteers - the full dystopian result of their approach is yet to come whilst, with Town, the mess is clear for all to see. Or it should be clear for all to see, anyway.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

I’m going on the offensive with this one on 18:22 - Jun 10 with 3723 viewsShawsey

Well said. The majority of the supporters could see that were not dominating teams, even at the beginning of the season. We were lucky in a way to get those early wins, as many sides were a bit scared of us. As soon as teams realised we were weak, they jumped on it and showed the entire squad and management up. This squad was hyped as the best squad in the division, when in reality, it was one of the poorest. Not many managers could make that shower look like title contenders. Not one of our squad would have been in the team of the year. We have a few bright stars returning from injury or coming through the academy, but other than that, rip it up and start again. Lambert, O'Neil and half the first team out.
I’m going on the offensive with this one on 18:26 - Jun 10 with 3714 viewsTrequartista

Not really bothered if O'Neill stays or goes, he's just a glorified messenger boy. Don't think he has any football qualifications. He would just be replaced by someone else of the same ilk.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

I’m going on the offensive with this one on 19:30 - Jun 10 with 3654 viewsitfcjoe

It's incredible that this is seen as just a bad couple of months because by some miracle we were top for 5 minutes in January that everything was tickety boo

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I’m going on the offensive with this one on 19:34 - Jun 10 with 3637 viewsShawsey

I’m going on the offensive with this one on 19:30 - Jun 10 by itfcjoe

It's incredible that this is seen as just a bad couple of months because by some miracle we were top for 5 minutes in January that everything was tickety boo

Anyone and I mean anyone could see that we were not dominating games as we should have been. We have a squad of League One players, but not League one Winning players. Probably 5 are good enough, the rest are not. I just hope for the youth to come through and save our club.
I’m going on the offensive with this one on 19:34 - Jun 10 with 3645 viewsPhilTWTD

I’m going on the offensive with this one on 19:30 - Jun 10 by itfcjoe

I think the four wins in 21 league games after November 5th illustrates the overall picture more accurately, even if there was obviously a bit of a plummet during February and March.
I’m going on the offensive with this one on 19:50 - Jun 10 with 3594 viewsitfcjoe

I’m going on the offensive with this one on 19:34 - Jun 10 by PhilTWTD

I think the four wins in 21 league games after November 5th illustrates the overall picture more accurately, even if there was obviously a bit of a plummet during February and March.

The point per game for half a season is massive, especially the way goals totally dried up. I saw a statistician talk about 0s and 1s for goals scored and conceded, as that is what separates the good sides from the bad sides. Clean sheets generally involve a fair bit of luck so conceding 1 is still good.

Our defence held up fine, bar a couple of high profile poor games - Lincoln and Posh - te attack did not meet their end of the bargain.

I hope this is all known in house, and that the analysis doesn't just think everything is fine because we were top at one point in jan

I’m going on the offensive with this one on 20:05 - Jun 10 with 3536 viewsEnigma_Blue

I’m going on the offensive with this one on 17:10 - Jun 10 by Garv

I think the squad is quite overrated to be honest and key players have been injured or not fully fit, but I know that's not a popular defence of Lambert and co, so I don't expect much agreement.

Quite. Before a ball was kicked in anger i don't remember many town fans if any predicting we would achieve automatic promotion. Some were predicting play offs at the very best but it seemed the majority view was a mid table finish.
Only after our incredible unbeaten start did some fans start to come out with 'we have easily the best squad in the division ' and the talk of 100 points, 100 goals albeit slightly tongue in cheek. The reality was this squad was capable of reaching the playoffs at the absolute best and nothing more. We need to start building a promotion winning team around the youngsters coming through mixed with a few decent experienced LG 1 players.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2020 20:09]
I’m going on the offensive with this one on 20:34 - Jun 10 with 3456 viewsGarv

I’m going on the offensive with this one on 20:05 - Jun 10 by Enigma_Blue

Quite. Before a ball was kicked in anger i don't remember many town fans if any predicting we would achieve automatic promotion. Some were predicting play offs at the very best but it seemed the majority view was a mid table finish.
Only after our incredible unbeaten start did some fans start to come out with 'we have easily the best squad in the division ' and the talk of 100 points, 100 goals albeit slightly tongue in cheek. The reality was this squad was capable of reaching the playoffs at the absolute best and nothing more. We need to start building a promotion winning team around the youngsters coming through mixed with a few decent experienced LG 1 players.

Not that it backs up my opinions at all but I predicted 10th before a ball was kicked.

'Only after our incredible unbeaten start did some fans start to come out with 'we have easily the best squad in the division' - correct.

I’m going on the offensive with this one on 20:37 - Jun 10 with 3440 viewsericclacton

Why don't they just have a meat n two veg and get it sorted, some fans think it will be easier next season cos weezer big club, shirley that's folly. over Anne out.

I’m going on the offensive with this one on 00:23 - Jun 11 with 3272 viewsEireannach_gorm

I’m going on the offensive with this one on 20:05 - Jun 10 by Enigma_Blue

Bit of revisionism here.

Small sample of predictions for L1 season 2019/20

https://www.oddschecker.com/tips/football/20190731-league-one-2019-20-betting-ti

https://www.thesportsman.com/articles/the-sportsman-2019-20-predictions-league-o

https://fanbanter.co.uk/fourfourtwo-predicts-the-19-20-league-one-table/6/

Even mid season

https://blog.betvictor.com/en-gb/sports/football/league-one/league-one-team-by-t

QED
I’m going on the offensive with this one on 01:31 - Jun 11 with 3221 viewsistanblue

Well researched.

Also worth pointing out that Rotherham have won automatic promotion on 1.77 PPG - that's 81 points over the course of a 46 game season. That is a VERY LOW points tally for which to earn automatic promotion. In fact, only Col U have achieved a lower points total and gained automatic promotion in the entirety of League One history (79 points in the 2005/06 season). My point is that this was a very good chance for ITFC to bounce back to the Championship at the first attempt. With the budget and playing squad we have compared to most other clubs in this division there is no excuse as to why we shouldn't be challenging for top 2, let alone failing to make the play-offs. It's nothing short of a disgrace and an embarrassment.

It wouldn't be so bad if Evans, Lambert, O'Neill and even senior players came out and said that this was utterly unacceptable and big changes were going to be made. Instead we get limp statements like ''this isn't what we hoped for'' and ''we're sorry''. Not good enough. We will continue to either stagnate or regress further until Marcus Evans is out of this club.
I’m going on the offensive with this one on 01:51 - Jun 11 with 3212 viewsistanblue

I’m going on the offensive with this one on 00:23 - Jun 11 by Eireannach_gorm

Bit of revisionism here.

Small sample of predictions for L1 season 2019/20

https://www.oddschecker.com/tips/football/20190731-league-one-2019-20-betting-ti

https://www.thesportsman.com/articles/the-sportsman-2019-20-predictions-league-o

https://fanbanter.co.uk/fourfourtwo-predicts-the-19-20-league-one-table/6/

Even mid season

https://blog.betvictor.com/en-gb/sports/football/league-one/league-one-team-by-t

QED

It's true that most commentators, pundits and fans of other clubs saw ITFC as a big threat. In fact most prediction vlogs from fans of other League One clubs that I watched, almost all had Ipswich in their top 3. It was actually our own fans that were less optimistic if I recall correctly. I think most predictions on here ranged from mid-table to play-offs. I personally had us down as finishing between 4th-8th. I have to admit (as I think will a lot of others), I overestimated the strength of League One. There are some okay sides down here but most of it is dross. The top 2 (Coventry and Rotherham) were decent but nothing special and I imagine they will struggle in the Championship. Given that, there really is no excuse for not challenging for automatics, yet we missed out on the play-offs by a mile. Really poor.
I’m going on the offensive with this one on 08:39 - Jun 11 with 3018 viewsitfcjoe

I’m going on the offensive with this one on 01:31 - Jun 11 by istanblue

Well researched.

Also worth pointing out that Rotherham have won automatic promotion on 1.77 PPG - that's 81 points over the course of a 46 game season. That is a VERY LOW points tally for which to earn automatic promotion. In fact, only Col U have achieved a lower points total and gained automatic promotion in the entirety of League One history (79 points in the 2005/06 season). My point is that this was a very good chance for ITFC to bounce back to the Championship at the first attempt. With the budget and playing squad we have compared to most other clubs in this division there is no excuse as to why we shouldn't be challenging for top 2, let alone failing to make the play-offs. It's nothing short of a disgrace and an embarrassment.

It wouldn't be so bad if Evans, Lambert, O'Neill and even senior players came out and said that this was utterly unacceptable and big changes were going to be made. Instead we get limp statements like ''this isn't what we hoped for'' and ''we're sorry''. Not good enough. We will continue to either stagnate or regress further until Marcus Evans is out of this club.

We managed to go top of the league in January after not having won a game for 2 months. It took over half a season of relegation formto fall from being very much in the pack to 3-4 points outside it.

Showing how amazing our start was, and as you say, how poor/even the division was this year with reagrds to what was required points wise.

We had the 18th best home record in the league, if it was even the 12th best we'd be in the play offs now

I’m going on the offensive with this one on 08:55 - Jun 11 with 2992 viewsOsborneOneNil

It’s quite heartbreaking to read, isn’t it. One does wonder if last season was (another) pivotal moment for ITFC, and the golden chance to bounce back at the first time of asking has been thrown away to give us what kind of future?
I’m going on the offensive with this one on 09:00 - Jun 11 with 2983 viewsRobTheMonk

I’m going on the offensive with this one on 08:39 - Jun 11 by itfcjoe

We managed to go top of the league in January after not having won a game for 2 months. It took over half a season of relegation formto fall from being very much in the pack to 3-4 points outside it.

Showing how amazing our start was, and as you say, how poor/even the division was this year with reagrds to what was required points wise.

We had the 18th best home record in the league, if it was even the 12th best we'd be in the play offs now

So we finished 11th(?) and the only teams above us that we could beat were Steve Evans' Gillingham and a 1-0 win early in the season against Fleetwood...

We were top as we had a fortunate run where we played the likes of Rochdale, Wimbledon and Bolton.

There was talk of us having a half decent run in towards the end of the season. Taking into account we've played 1 more game than any one above us (othert than Sunderland), some cases 2, that we were beginning to stuggle against so-called lesser teams (Tranmere comes to mind) and it's no wonder people are not exactly enamoured with how things are going.

But hey ho, 5 year contract. If Lambert somehow pulls it roun then fair play, but from what I've seen from his tenure here, it's a mess.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024