Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
FAO Swansea 15:34 - Jun 10 with 581 viewsDarth_Koont

I know you found the Oborne article on Corbyn interesting.

Hadn't had the time to watch this interview until now but it's pretty revealing and definitely worth a watch. IMO, particularly the first half where it becomes very clear how Corbyn's world view is almost totally at odds with that of the Establishment, certainly in terms of priorities.

Corbyn's view and the policies he promotes put protecting the environment, protecting worker's jobs and their rights, and fighting inequality at the very top of the agenda. The establishment may talk about that but it's lip service and their very first priority is still protecting power and vested interests. It's probably worse now than it's ever been when you used to feel some sense of public and democratic duty. But politicians are generally a different breed nowadays.

Here, I think Corbyn was a threat because he was using reality in the UK and around the world to challenge this cosy world. But this is where Corbyn's weakness comes in. By refusing to face the reality of his opponents, across the commons floor and inside the Labour Party, and play their game he was set up to fail. Especially when the majority of a largely partisan media are playing exactly the same game, rather than being the trusted interface between the electorate and politicians.

It's clear that his leadership by consensus and not fighting his opponents and nominal colleagues wasn't the right way to go. He may feel he kept to his principles but I think a more ruthless approach was needed. And I think he certainly misjudged the result of the election in 2017: rather than people responding to his campaign and joining him, they actually redoubled their efforts to take him out. He should have used that time of relative success to go on the attack himself.

Anyway, be interested to hear what you think as a semi-reluctant supporter.

Pronouns: He/Him

FAO Swansea on 17:34 - Jun 10 with 489 viewsSwansea_Blue

Cheers buh, I'll take a look.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

FAO Swansea on 19:30 - Jun 10 with 418 viewsDarth_Koont

FAO Swansea on 17:34 - Jun 10 by Swansea_Blue

Cheers buh, I'll take a look.

It's annoyed lowers so no higher recommendation than that.

Pronouns: He/Him

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024