Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Mental health during the virus 16:33 - Jun 10 with 1217 viewsgtsb1966

I've been quite shocked this week to learn that three people i know, all men, have admitted they are suffering from mental health issues due to the last three months. One is a pensioner who has a wife so is not on his own but he cannot attend his weekly sports organisation he goes to. The other two are younger and one absolutely loves being in the garden and looking after his plants is now really depressed as he has been on furlough for twelve weeks. If i know three people suffering there must be so many thousands of people out there suffering too. That is worrying especially if things don't get back to normal before winter when the gloom really sets in. I have absolutely no knowledge on this subject but are men more susceptible to depression than woman?
Mental health during the virus on 17:10 - Jun 10 with 1087 viewsThisIsMyUsername

No idea whether men are more susceptible or not, but I'd bet that generally women talk more with their friends about any issues, preventing them from building up and becoming unmanageable/resulting in depressions.

(I know that depression might have a fundamental biological cause but talking is still a great helper).

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Mental health during the virus on 18:31 - Jun 10 with 963 viewslowhouseblue

finding that your normal life has been disrupted in an unprecedented way, that lots of things you enjoy can't be done at the moment, and that it is all combined with high levels of uncertainty and worry must affect everyone. it is perfectly normal to be dispirited, fed up, and to struggle to establish routines and activities that make you happy. it must be a knock to wellbeing for almost everyone. that's not necessarily the same as depression - but it may of course lead to that for some people.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Mental health during the virus on 18:34 - Jun 10 with 953 viewseastangliaisblue

As i said in a post the other day, i think an underlying level of stress has affected a lot of people. I know it has certainly got to me. I'm usually an upbeat person, but the lack of being able to get out and about, has affected me. The financial stress took a toll on me too. Thankfully i have been back at work for a couple of weeks, and feel some of the weight has lifted. My sleeping pattern is all over the place though, which i put down to the stress.
Mental health during the virus on 18:52 - Jun 10 with 909 viewsChrisd

Sorry to read that about your 3 mates. It certainly seems to impact people in different ways. Hopefully, once things return to a level of normality this will help, it’s getting there slowly. I’ve actually quite enjoyed lockdown without the expectations of being somewhere and doing all the pretence BS, although that might be my own issue? It’s made me reflect on what’s really important and savouring each day.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Mental health during the virus on 19:01 - Jun 10 with 882 viewsgtsb1966

Mental health during the virus on 18:52 - Jun 10 by Chrisd

Sorry to read that about your 3 mates. It certainly seems to impact people in different ways. Hopefully, once things return to a level of normality this will help, it’s getting there slowly. I’ve actually quite enjoyed lockdown without the expectations of being somewhere and doing all the pretence BS, although that might be my own issue? It’s made me reflect on what’s really important and savouring each day.

I actually enjoyed it too . 80% pay, perfect weather and peace and quiet...and I live on my own so couldn't get my head around why they were down. Just shows how different we all are.
Mental health during the virus on 19:16 - Jun 10 with 852 viewsDebsyAngel

I think it's quite well known on here that I suffer with depression terribly. These last 3 months have been hell and getting worse. I didn't go out excessively before this, but knowing I can;t do the things I enjoy really brings me down further. The little things like going into town all day to look at the charity shops and the records and building up my collection, going to see my parents or them coming here, the football and the few days out we have (meant to have gone out today for the day but can't).

I find it hard to talk about my depression as I feel people get fed up of hearing about it so I tend to change the subject and talk about music as that is the subject that always gets a decent conversation out of me.

Having to be stuck in and just housework to do and non stop lists that I cannot sort out or clear is making me worse, and having extremely nasty loud neighbours.

If this is still going at Christmas, it may be too much to bear for me.
Mental health during the virus on 19:38 - Jun 10 with 816 viewsghostofescobar

I've suffered from, what some people may call, social anxiety all my life. Proper, proper, mental panic attacks when presenting to groups. I'm in my 50's, but it's no less dimmed now than when it first hit me. So in some ways, lock-down has suited me. Suicide is a huge killer among younger men, so it is a huge problem.

GhostOfEscobar

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024