Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Salary Caps 09:06 - Jun 11 with 1841 viewsSenatorBlue

Saw the attached on BBC, and the various threads discussing sustainability and imbalance in our football leagues.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52999782

Salary caps pegged to a percentage of a clubs revenue, outside of the Premier League, surely has to be the way to go. It would mean Premier clubs contracts would need relegation clauses, and then allows for the PP payment to only go on easing that wage drop for a year or two (as it was intended). It would also ensure club stature matters, rather than the one size fits all I’ve read for L1 and L2, with larger clubs able to provide greater levels of wages.

I never did understand how clubs with smaller gates, and therefore revenue than us, in the Championship, could continue to offer higher wages and pay greater transfer fees than us.

Just forlornly looking for a way we might return back up the leagues! It feels like there’s no way up for us - even we’re we to get back to the Championship, it feels like we’d be way out of our league.

Sorry - I know this has been done to death.

Salary Caps on 09:08 - Jun 11 with 1830 viewsitfcjoe

There are already are salary caps in L1 and L2, where clubs have a year or two to get underneath

Something like that is more relaistic for the Championship but that league is such a shh*t show it is very difficult to do anything

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Salary Caps on 09:23 - Jun 11 with 1781 viewsgtsb1966

How do you police it. What if I was a multimillionaire and Town supporter and went to see M.E about investing in the club. What's stopping me from having an advertisement in the ground and paying ten million a season for it.
Salary Caps on 09:32 - Jun 11 with 1765 viewsfactual_blue

Salary Caps on 09:23 - Jun 11 by gtsb1966

How do you police it. What if I was a multimillionaire and Town supporter and went to see M.E about investing in the club. What's stopping me from having an advertisement in the ground and paying ten million a season for it.

The football authorities would determine it was a non-commercial transaction and ban it.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Salary Caps on 10:38 - Jun 11 with 1718 viewsPendejo

Back in the 80s Chelsea got found out for illegal payments to Kevin Wilson, whose transfer fee was set at £x based on his salary, which topped up with stuffed brown envelopes.

When they got found out they had to pay a bit more.

But can't find any reference on the net.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Salary Caps on 10:45 - Jun 11 with 1706 viewssparks

Man City are demonstrating what happens...

More to the point though, it doesnt work from prem to champ, because the disparity in income is so enormous. You cannot have a cap which creates an even playing field, without enormous parachute payments, because to compete in the prem clubs are ineivtably having to spend a good proportion of their £100m plus income and cannot simlpy cease that when they drop.

Prem has wrecked the game...

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Salary Caps on 10:50 - Jun 11 with 1697 viewsFixed_It

Salary Caps on 10:45 - Jun 11 by sparks

More to the point though, it doesnt work from prem to champ, because the disparity in income is so enormous. You cannot have a cap which creates an even playing field, without enormous parachute payments, because to compete in the prem clubs are ineivtably having to spend a good proportion of their £100m plus income and cannot simlpy cease that when they drop.

Your last sentence is sadly correct. Prem = money = greed = game ruined

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Salary Caps on 12:07 - Jun 11 with 1638 viewsSenatorBlue

Salary Caps on 09:08 - Jun 11 by itfcjoe

There are already are salary caps in L1 and L2, where clubs have a year or two to get underneath

Something like that is more relaistic for the Championship but that league is such a shh*t show it is very difficult to do anything

I guess my point on L1 and L2 caps, is that it is a fixed amount rather than pegged to revenue (I could be wrong). The cap based on a percentage of revenue suggested by Deloitte, is in my humble opinion, fairer. Still tough to police, but other leagues around the world manage it.

I do also think it possible for the Championship too. Premier League is a total closed shop nut job - ruining the game for those outside it.
Salary Caps on 17:46 - Jun 11 with 1537 viewsstrikalite

Salary Caps on 12:07 - Jun 11 by SenatorBlue

I guess my point on L1 and L2 caps, is that it is a fixed amount rather than pegged to revenue (I could be wrong). The cap based on a percentage of revenue suggested by Deloitte, is in my humble opinion, fairer. Still tough to police, but other leagues around the world manage it.

I do also think it possible for the Championship too. Premier League is a total closed shop nut job - ruining the game for those outside it.

They need to get rid of parachute payments, then Clubs from the Prem could easily put clauses in contracts so that if they were to go down then the players wages would reflect this.....EFL could cap it too yes(Championship)which would stop wealthy owners continuing to pay Prem wages in a gamble to go straight back up.

But that won't happen sadly..
Login to get fewer ads

Salary Caps on 18:34 - Jun 11 with 1499 viewsShawsey

Hopefully your sanity.
Salary Caps on 21:02 - Jun 11 with 1440 viewsistanblue

Salary Caps on 09:08 - Jun 11 by itfcjoe

That won't happen unfortunately because of the relationship the Premier League has with the Championship. If the Championship introduced some form of salary cap, then relegated PL teams would either flout it or would adjust their budgets accordingly and become less competitive in the PL. 'Making the Premier League competitive' is one of the top concerns of the PL bosses as it ensures interest both domestically and abroad. No one wants to see the top sides thrash the bottom sides 5-0 every week - it's why the Bundesliga and La Liga aren't as popular as the Premier League. Therefore, a salary cap (at least any kind of meaningful one) will not happen whilst the Premier League is run as it currently is.
Salary Caps on 22:45 - Jun 11 with 1375 viewsFootballpete

Salary Caps on 10:45 - Jun 11 by sparks

Would compulsory relegation clauses in all premier league contracts that then adhered to a football league salary cap not work? So every premier league contract for any club have to include it? Then abolish parachute payments?

Poll: Which Top Gear presenter is the biggest dickhead?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024