Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Charity Appeal: Waynes Walk 11:59 - Jun 11 with 5202 viewschivy99

My Dad, Wayne, (a massive town fan) had a stroke 12 years ago that had a huge effect on him and our family. During June and July, Dad has taken on the challenge to walk 5km so that he can raise money for Headway Essex. This will be done through multiple trips to his greenhouse and back.

Many years ago Dad ran marathons to raise money for charities - he still reminds me his time is 4 minutes faster than my marathon time... Now he is doing his own marathon challenge. 5km may not seem far to you, but this will be more than a marathon to Dad.

Headway support brain injury survivors and their families and have really helped Dad and my family since his Stroke. If you would like to sponsor, please look on here: https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/wayne-chivers

The story is running today in EADT and The Gazzette ( https://www.gazette-news.co.uk/news/18505905.former-teacher-wayne-chivers-overwh

Dad is a massive town fan and we were wondering if you would like to promote this charity challenge. You can see his ITFC beanie in some of the pictures on the just giving page.

Thanks
Charity Appeal: Waynes Walk on 20:12 - Jun 14 with 4784 viewsEdwardStone

Best of luck with it....Wayne sounds the most amazing character

Hopefully Town will give him something to be happy about next season

COYB and Go Wayne

Best wishes
Charity Appeal: Waynes Walk on 19:03 - Jun 15 with 4700 viewssolomon

Fantastic stuff and good on him, I hope he’s ok and making good progress?
Was he under the stroke unit at Ipswich hospital? Speaking from experience that unit is one of the finest I’ve ever seen with some fantastic consultants and staff.
Charity Appeal: Waynes Walk on 10:32 - Jun 17 with 4422 viewschivy99

Charity Appeal: Waynes Walk on 19:03 - Jun 15 by solomon

Fantastic stuff and good on him, I hope he’s ok and making good progress?
Was he under the stroke unit at Ipswich hospital? Speaking from experience that unit is one of the finest I’ve ever seen with some fantastic consultants and staff.

Wayne is doing really well thanks! This challenge has really helped give him a bit of drive. He loves reading all the sponsorship comments.

He was at the Colchester General Hospital Stroke ward. Colchester general has had a lot of bad press recently, but our experience was really positive.

Thanks for everyone's support!
Charity Appeal: Waynes Walk on 19:06 - Jun 17 with 4378 viewsEdwardStone

Charity Appeal: Waynes Walk on 10:32 - Jun 17 by chivy99

Wayne is doing really well thanks! This challenge has really helped give him a bit of drive. He loves reading all the sponsorship comments.

He was at the Colchester General Hospital Stroke ward. Colchester general has had a lot of bad press recently, but our experience was really positive.

My dear departed Dad was in Colchester some years ago

They did tremendously well for him....really top-drawer service

"Give a dog a bad name...."
Charity Appeal: Waynes Walk on 19:07 - Jun 17 with 4375 viewsEdwardStone

Charity Appeal: Waynes Walk on 10:32 - Jun 17 by chivy99

And very glad to hear that your Dad is doing well too

Excellent news, cheers for the update
Charity Appeal: Waynes Walk on 23:16 - Jun 19 with 4152 viewsBlueBadger

Headway are f*cking brilliant people. My father-in-law spent 8 weeks in a(very good)Portuguse neuro ITU last year and they were a superb source of support for those of us in the family stuck over here unable to visit.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Charity Appeal: Waynes Walk on 11:36 - Jun 28 with 3224 viewsjeera

Donated.

Only a little bit but hopefully it all adds up to make it worthwhile.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Charity Appeal: Waynes Walk on 14:00 - Jul 1 with 2845 viewsphilpott2

This is a bit spooky, finding your appeal after not having logged in as me for months and months. I usually just read all of the articles / news as a guest, without actually logging in.

So 10 years today my dad had a stroke....from professional golfer to 7 months in hospital, being wheelchair bound, hospital visits and almost not making it home many many times after the initial hospitalisation period, and my mum becoming a carer 24-7. He lost the use of his whole left side, and had quite a pronounced personality change. Having passed away the first week of lockdown, it was nearing 10 years, and we will be celebrating his life later on in the future, whenever that might be possible.

That's fantastic that your dad is able to do that challenge - I really hope he was successful. Headway were brilliant for my dad, gave him much support, many opportunities, made friends galore, and explored all sorts of arty hobbies, painting, drawing etc.
(we've raised funds for Headway, so would just like to say very well done, a great cause indeed).

And to bring it back to ITFC......his uncle Tom Brown played in goal for Ipswich back in the 1940's, having signed in 1938 and left in 1951.
His brother John was also a keeper, having won the Scottish Cup and one international cap just before the 2nd world war broke out.
P.S. John was a scratch golfer, the Scots Rugby physio and his three sons played rugby, two of whom played for both Scotland and the British Lions too!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024