Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
If next season starts with no fans 17:25 - Jun 11 with 1392 viewsgtsb1966

I wouldn't plan your Saturdays too far ahead. I'd hazard a guess that there'll be a fair few clubs who don't make it to Xmas. Some might not be here to start at all.
If next season starts with no fans on 17:40 - Jun 11 with 1313 viewsclive_baker

Even if by some miracle fans are allowed back in, I think trouble is ahead. Wider economic uncertainty and rising unemployment will hit football fans far and wide. If the UK economy contracts by 8% as predicted and unemployment increases by the millions anticipated, it'll be luxuries like football that are the balancing figure for many. Couple that with such a long hiatus on what is very much a habitual ritual for many, which may well now be broken. Football clubs are in the unfortunate position where their revenue is completely up in the air, but their cost base is largely made up of heavily contracted players and management. It's the perfect storm.

FWIW I don't think a 'reset' is a bad thing, as long as clubs can survive it. I love the game, but the industry has become completely abhorrent. Disappeared up its own ar5e years ago.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

If next season starts with no fans on 17:55 - Jun 11 with 1235 viewspointofblue

If next season starts with no fans on 17:40 - Jun 11 by clive_baker

Even if by some miracle fans are allowed back in, I think trouble is ahead. Wider economic uncertainty and rising unemployment will hit football fans far and wide. If the UK economy contracts by 8% as predicted and unemployment increases by the millions anticipated, it'll be luxuries like football that are the balancing figure for many. Couple that with such a long hiatus on what is very much a habitual ritual for many, which may well now be broken. Football clubs are in the unfortunate position where their revenue is completely up in the air, but their cost base is largely made up of heavily contracted players and management. It's the perfect storm.

FWIW I don't think a 'reset' is a bad thing, as long as clubs can survive it. I love the game, but the industry has become completely abhorrent. Disappeared up its own ar5e years ago.

The clubs which fall will be poorest at the base of the pyramid though. The Premier League has poisoned the well but drinks from a different reserve.

Edit: though, not those.
[Post edited 11 Jun 2020 17:58]

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

If next season starts with no fans on 17:56 - Jun 11 with 1220 viewsRonFearonsHair

If next season starts with no fans on 17:55 - Jun 11 by pointofblue

The clubs which fall will be poorest at the base of the pyramid though. The Premier League has poisoned the well but drinks from a different reserve.

Edit: though, not those.
[Post edited 11 Jun 2020 17:58]

You can also be sure that they will already be drafting proposals to take the places with their ‘B’ teams.
If next season starts with no fans on 18:02 - Jun 11 with 1179 viewsSwansea_Blue

If next season starts with no fans on 17:40 - Jun 11 by clive_baker

I don't see a reset happening. The money/power of those at the top is just too great and they'll not give it up.

A superleague split seems increasingly likely now, whereas once I'd have thought that's a crazy idea. That would be bad though. It would be like when the regions were created in Wales for Rugby. The regions did ok(ish), but the traditional teams have been hammered and are fairly obscure now. Football's more popular though, so maybe a 'second class' system of the rest would work.

You'd need a global effort to try and control the spending bubble, or distribute financing more equally. I can't see it happening. Sadly, as it needs to.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

If next season starts with no fans on 20:50 - Jun 11 with 950 viewsGuthrum

If next season starts with no fans on 18:02 - Jun 11 by Swansea_Blue

I don't see a reset happening. The money/power of those at the top is just too great and they'll not give it up.

A superleague split seems increasingly likely now, whereas once I'd have thought that's a crazy idea. That would be bad though. It would be like when the regions were created in Wales for Rugby. The regions did ok(ish), but the traditional teams have been hammered and are fairly obscure now. Football's more popular though, so maybe a 'second class' system of the rest would work.

You'd need a global effort to try and control the spending bubble, or distribute financing more equally. I can't see it happening. Sadly, as it needs to.

The problem for those at the top is that if they want a reversion to how things were, they're going to have to foot the bill. Which will be a pretty hefty sum - possibly enough to ruin even some of the bigger fish (given their own outgoings are still enormous). Especially if they, in turn, are squeezed by broadcasters with static or shrinking subscriber numbers in a recession.

I tend to think a split is more likely, with the wealthiest trying to save themselves and their comfortable environment by cutting adrift the rest.

However, I also believe that it would make little difference to many lower division fans. They already follow their clubs in Leagues One and Two, down to non-League. Many have never troubled the upper echelons anyway, or not for many decades, so the removal of ultimate promotion won't hurt that much. Especially as any super-league will become increasingly detatched from the rest of English football. They'll still turn up on a Saturday to watch their team, looking forward to facing traditional and divisional rivals.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024