Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What can we expect now for Downes and Woolfenden? 21:04 - Jun 11 with 1593 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

Given the economic climate, and the financial implications of Covid on a team like ourselves, it ever likely they'll be gone, in fact I think they'll be pushed in the shop window.

However, we will get a snip of what we should, but what can we expect?

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

What can we expect now for Downes and Woolfenden? on 23:52 - Jun 11 with 1436 viewsjudespiveyg

You say that, but a lot of clubs, Championship clubs in particular, are not going to be looking to add players. They'll be losing vast sums of cash. Reading lost something like 30 million in 18/19, imagine what that will be with no crowds. The Championship will not have many teams giving seven figure sums.

Maybe a Prem club makes a punt on Downes or Woolfenden but there's no guarentee it would be an offer worth taking. In all honesty, I wouldn't be shocked to see both here next season.

And if we do lose them, free agents will accept far smaller wages just to have a job, and a lot of Championship contracts won't be renewed, so replacements for Downes and Wolf will be cheaper. Look at Skuse, in normal circumstances he'd have never taken such a pay cut because he could've made more at another club.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

What can we expect now for Downes and Woolfenden? on 07:42 - Jun 12 with 1291 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

What can we expect now for Downes and Woolfenden? on 23:52 - Jun 11 by judespiveyg

You say that, but a lot of clubs, Championship clubs in particular, are not going to be looking to add players. They'll be losing vast sums of cash. Reading lost something like 30 million in 18/19, imagine what that will be with no crowds. The Championship will not have many teams giving seven figure sums.

Maybe a Prem club makes a punt on Downes or Woolfenden but there's no guarentee it would be an offer worth taking. In all honesty, I wouldn't be shocked to see both here next season.

And if we do lose them, free agents will accept far smaller wages just to have a job, and a lot of Championship contracts won't be renewed, so replacements for Downes and Wolf will be cheaper. Look at Skuse, in normal circumstances he'd have never taken such a pay cut because he could've made more at another club.

Clubs will be stricken for cash, hence why they will be searching in league 1, and you won’t find much better than Downes and Woolfenden, and Evans will now be desperate to cash in.

It will be normal service resumed then, sell our better players, replace with barrel scraping free agents.

#ANewEra

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

What can we expect now for Downes and Woolfenden? on 08:23 - Jun 12 with 1240 viewsSenatorBlue

What can we expect now for Downes and Woolfenden? on 07:42 - Jun 12 by TheTrueBlue1878

Clubs will be stricken for cash, hence why they will be searching in league 1, and you won’t find much better than Downes and Woolfenden, and Evans will now be desperate to cash in.

It will be normal service resumed then, sell our better players, replace with barrel scraping free agents.

#ANewEra

Above all else, this is the one aspect of our policy I feel needs to change. A percentage of player sales has to be spent on player purchases, and on purchases with a high potential for a higher resale, that can then be reinvested. MM was the only recent manager to achieve this with any degree of success. All others in the Evans era, he may as well have burnt his cash there and then.

Yes, losses need to be covered, but the team does need reinvestment in a few key areas, supported by low value Mings type low risk gambles, and youth coming through - of which we have a flush of decent prospects right now.
[Post edited 12 Jun 2020 8:24]
What can we expect now for Downes and Woolfenden? on 08:40 - Jun 12 with 1196 viewsHerbivore

Probably a friendly with Lazio to get them off the wage bill.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

What can we expect now for Downes and Woolfenden? on 08:43 - Jun 12 with 1189 viewsitfcjoe

Downes has to go, he's too good to waste another season in L1, any PL club who picked him up for £5m can't lose as could loan him out to CHampionship or try and integrate him

Woolfie needs another year here, and think he'll stay

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

What can we expect now for Downes and Woolfenden? on 08:44 - Jun 12 with 1184 viewsITFC_Forever

It could go either way.

Either ME is desperate to raise money in the absence of crowds and sells them .... which will almost certainly be for a lower fee we would have hoped for a few months ago.

Or he decides the market rate is even lower than he will accept, refuses to sell and they stay here.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

What can we expect now for Downes and Woolfenden? on 10:21 - Jun 12 with 1089 viewsIpswichKnight

What can we expect now for Downes and Woolfenden? on 08:43 - Jun 12 by itfcjoe

Downes has to go, he's too good to waste another season in L1, any PL club who picked him up for £5m can't lose as could loan him out to CHampionship or try and integrate him

Woolfie needs another year here, and think he'll stay

Downes will go and we could get lucky that a bidding war could take place and drive the price up a bit for us.

I get the impression that a lot of clubs are intrigued by Woolfie and see something but want to see another season due to his inexperience and playing at centre half.
What can we expect now for Downes and Woolfenden? on 10:21 - Jun 12 with 1089 viewsSomethingBlue

Downes will go to the Premier League — he'll be in exactly the right bracket for clubs that now have to set their sights slightly lower than intended in the market. Suspect he'd have ended up there anyway. Will still get a seven-figure sum but nothing like what we ought to be.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Login to get fewer ads

What can we expect now for Downes and Woolfenden? on 11:21 - Jun 12 with 1025 viewsLibero

Maybe I'm reading it all wrong again but I really do not see clubs making these kinds of transfers in the current climate.

I expect you'll see a lot more swap deals and a few established names moving around but will clubs really want to take such huge financial risks on unproven players when their own incoming finances are so tenuous at the moment?

I think you'll see clubs giving their own youth prospects more minutes as a result of this whole situation.
What can we expect now for Downes and Woolfenden? on 11:38 - Jun 12 with 1000 viewsflimflam

What can we expect now for Downes and Woolfenden? on 11:21 - Jun 12 by Libero

Maybe I'm reading it all wrong again but I really do not see clubs making these kinds of transfers in the current climate.

I expect you'll see a lot more swap deals and a few established names moving around but will clubs really want to take such huge financial risks on unproven players when their own incoming finances are so tenuous at the moment?

I think you'll see clubs giving their own youth prospects more minutes as a result of this whole situation.

Clubs will also be thinking of what would happen if there is a second or third outbreak in the middle of next season and we are back to where we are now, players on massive contracts with no revenue coming in.

All men and women are created, by the, you know the, you know the thing.

What can we expect now for Downes and Woolfenden? on 11:42 - Jun 12 with 988 viewsfooters

What can we expect now for Downes and Woolfenden? on 11:21 - Jun 12 by Libero

You say that, and I'm in partial agreement, but then you've still got the giant clubs waving large wads of dough about that should trickle down into the smaller clubs and leagues. I mean, Utd et al are still pressing ahead with wanting to sign players like Sancho for £100m+ so don't think football's 'come to its senses'... certainly not at the top level anyway.

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

What can we expect now for Downes and Woolfenden? on 11:43 - Jun 12 with 980 viewsLibero

What can we expect now for Downes and Woolfenden? on 11:38 - Jun 12 by flimflam

Clubs will also be thinking of what would happen if there is a second or third outbreak in the middle of next season and we are back to where we are now, players on massive contracts with no revenue coming in.

Exactly, I just can't see there being very much of a market, yes some clubs at our level and maybe some in the Championship too will be desperate to sell players to keep the club going but it really makes very little sense to be making player investments or renewing contracts right now in such hugely uncertain circumstances.

Clubs will be forced to look inward and promote their own.
What can we expect now for Downes and Woolfenden? on 11:46 - Jun 12 with 969 viewsLibero

What can we expect now for Downes and Woolfenden? on 11:42 - Jun 12 by footers

You say that, and I'm in partial agreement, but then you've still got the giant clubs waving large wads of dough about that should trickle down into the smaller clubs and leagues. I mean, Utd et al are still pressing ahead with wanting to sign players like Sancho for £100m+ so don't think football's 'come to its senses'... certainly not at the top level anyway.

Should it? - I think you have to consider why Championship, League One and Two clubs will be so desperate for money.

It's purely a case of survival, it's highly unlikely it's going to loosen everything enough where they can commit to new contracts or pay transfer fees in what are such incredibly uncertain times.
[Post edited 12 Jun 2020 11:49]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024