Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Really Suffolk Police? 07:51 - Jun 12 with 10464 viewsSteve_M

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-52998661

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Really Suffolk Police? on 08:34 - Jun 12 with 5922 viewsGeoffSentence

I'd like to see what had happened before that video started to see what it was all about before making any judgements there. Although, the policewoman's approach of blaming them for turning it into a heated situation is a massive wind up and is only going to make things worse. That would definitely push a button with me.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Really Suffolk Police? on 08:44 - Jun 12 with 5886 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Really Suffolk Police? on 08:34 - Jun 12 by GeoffSentence

I'd like to see what had happened before that video started to see what it was all about before making any judgements there. Although, the policewoman's approach of blaming them for turning it into a heated situation is a massive wind up and is only going to make things worse. That would definitely push a button with me.

Problem with these videos is they always start after the interaction began. We have no idea how well the officers explained their grounds for stopping the couple and asking for ID. I would imagine they did so quite fairly, because the police officers I know (of which there are many) are generally very reasonable, and contrary to popular opinion, do not go to work every day looking to antagonise people, end up in pointless arguments, and have their faces plastered all over social media.

She shouldn't have accused her of jumping on the bandwagon, but who knows, she might have been jumping on the bandwagon.

Poll: Which of these events will happen the soonest?

Really Suffolk Police? on 08:46 - Jun 12 with 5878 viewsBasuco

Really Suffolk Police? on 08:44 - Jun 12 by ThisIsMyUsername

Problem with these videos is they always start after the interaction began. We have no idea how well the officers explained their grounds for stopping the couple and asking for ID. I would imagine they did so quite fairly, because the police officers I know (of which there are many) are generally very reasonable, and contrary to popular opinion, do not go to work every day looking to antagonise people, end up in pointless arguments, and have their faces plastered all over social media.

She shouldn't have accused her of jumping on the bandwagon, but who knows, she might have been jumping on the bandwagon.

This is why I feel that all police should wear a body cam when on duty, the entire incident is then available for all to see, not a selected clip.
Really Suffolk Police? on 08:52 - Jun 12 with 5850 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Doesn't look great, but remember there are two sides to every story.

The video of the police being attacked in Hackney didn't look great either.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Really Suffolk Police? on 08:52 - Jun 12 with 5853 viewsbluelagos

Really Suffolk Police? on 08:46 - Jun 12 by Basuco

This is why I feel that all police should wear a body cam when on duty, the entire incident is then available for all to see, not a selected clip.

Absolutely. Protects the police from malicious allegations. Helps resolve disputes (like this) and would help ensure police behaved appropriately if they knew it was being recorded.

I would also have them randomly reviewed. So every week someone randomly watches a selection of interactions and can give feedback on how they can do it better. Much like teachers have observed lessons.

Long overdue imho.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Really Suffolk Police? on 08:57 - Jun 12 with 5828 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Really Suffolk Police? on 08:52 - Jun 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

Doesn't look great, but remember there are two sides to every story.

The video of the police being attacked in Hackney didn't look great either.

Also, let's not forget that police are humans, who are usually tired, over-stretched, under ever-increasing scrutiny and tasked to deal with more and more dross reports every day. You can't blame them if they sometimes lose their patience a bit when someone accuses them of stopping them just because of their ethnic background.

Really Suffolk Police? on 09:02 - Jun 12 with 5805 viewsJimmyJazz

The police need to be able to do their job, i'm sure these people are innocent, but what if it had been whoever the police were looking for walking past and they happened to be black? No, you cannot ask to see my ID just because i'm black.

The police aren't using any force, haven't got the guy on the ground unable to move or breath. So yes it is kind of jumping on the bandwagon

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Really Suffolk Police? on 09:07 - Jun 12 with 5785 viewsgiant_stow

Does anyone know if all police taught to do that hands in stab jacket posture thing in training? Seems pretty universal.

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Login to get fewer ads

Really Suffolk Police? on 09:13 - Jun 12 with 5766 viewsgazzer1999

Really Suffolk Police? on 09:07 - Jun 12 by giant_stow

Does anyone know if all police taught to do that hands in stab jacket posture thing in training? Seems pretty universal.

What a totally ridiculous comment. Have you ever put your hands in your pockets? who taught you to do that?
Really Suffolk Police? on 09:16 - Jun 12 with 5745 viewssparks

Really Suffolk Police? on 09:13 - Jun 12 by gazzer1999

What a totally ridiculous comment. Have you ever put your hands in your pockets? who taught you to do that?

Its not ridiuclous at all. Are you really saying its not a possible thing? Strike a non intimidating pose by tucking your hands away?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Really Suffolk Police? on 09:17 - Jun 12 with 5732 viewsgazzer1999

Really Suffolk Police? on 09:16 - Jun 12 by sparks

Its not ridiuclous at all. Are you really saying its not a possible thing? Strike a non intimidating pose by tucking your hands away?

Get a grip.
Really Suffolk Police? on 09:18 - Jun 12 with 5727 viewsgiant_stow

Really Suffolk Police? on 09:13 - Jun 12 by gazzer1999

Easy tiger!!

It's a *very* common pose for them and looks a little unnatural: I don't tend to put my hands in my pockets when talking to someone new or in a formal situation, no.

Edit: and are they pockets or do they put their hands in their sleaves?
[Post edited 12 Jun 2020 9:19]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

Really Suffolk Police? on 09:20 - Jun 12 with 5716 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Really Suffolk Police? on 09:18 - Jun 12 by giant_stow

Easy tiger!!

It's a *very* common pose for them and looks a little unnatural: I don't tend to put my hands in my pockets when talking to someone new or in a formal situation, no.

Edit: and are they pockets or do they put their hands in their sleaves?
[Post edited 12 Jun 2020 9:19]

Comfort habit.

Honestly, if I were you and I took issue with where a police officer puts his/her hands then I'd probably never leave the house just to be on the safe side.

Really Suffolk Police? on 09:24 - Jun 12 with 5694 viewsclive_baker

I think the Policewoman's language there was at best lazy.

Police officers have a right in the UK to question civilians if they deem them to be suspicious, which is the justification the officer gave. Equally, the pair can exercise their right to remain silent. I don't think the encounter itself breaches any law based on what I can see, but the Policewoman dealt with it awfully. Surely as a copper you're trained to take any 'emotion' out of it and remain factual.

Couldn't believe the bandwagon comment.
[Post edited 12 Jun 2020 9:26]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Really Suffolk Police? on 09:27 - Jun 12 with 5655 viewsgiant_stow

Really Suffolk Police? on 09:20 - Jun 12 by ThisIsMyUsername

Comfort habit.

Honestly, if I were you and I took issue with where a police officer puts his/her hands then I'd probably never leave the house just to be on the safe side.

Chaps I think you might be misunderstanding my tone a little (which must be my fault for not being clear). I'm just wonderring why they all seem to do it and whether its something about projecting authority or as Sparks suggests, more about being non-threatenning.

Really Suffolk Police? on 09:28 - Jun 12 with 5641 viewssparks

Really Suffolk Police? on 09:20 - Jun 12 by ThisIsMyUsername

Comfort habit.

Thats probably more likely- but I dont think he took issue. Was just an observation. Certainly wasnt a "stupid comment".

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Really Suffolk Police? on 09:30 - Jun 12 with 5631 viewsGeoffSentence

Really Suffolk Police? on 09:27 - Jun 12 by giant_stow

Chaps I think you might be misunderstanding my tone a little (which must be my fault for not being clear). I'm just wonderring why they all seem to do it and whether its something about projecting authority or as Sparks suggests, more about being non-threatenning.

It seemed a reasonable question to me, not sure why it wound anyone up.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Really Suffolk Police? on 09:31 - Jun 12 with 5609 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Really Suffolk Police? on 08:57 - Jun 12 by ThisIsMyUsername

Also, let's not forget that police are humans, who are usually tired, over-stretched, under ever-increasing scrutiny and tasked to deal with more and more dross reports every day. You can't blame them if they sometimes lose their patience a bit when someone accuses them of stopping them just because of their ethnic background.

Indeed, they have a very tough job

I was pretty pleased to see them when some thugs tried to smash their way into my house at 4am one morning!!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Really Suffolk Police? on 09:37 - Jun 12 with 5568 viewsThisIsMyUsername

Really Suffolk Police? on 09:27 - Jun 12 by giant_stow

Ok. No, they are not taught to do it.

Really Suffolk Police? on 09:37 - Jun 12 with 5578 viewsBasuco

I am not a policeman but to me the women we hear in he clip appears to have something to hide, her reaction is in excess of what you would expect from a person being asked to show a driving licence or prove they were driving legally. It would have been quicker and easier to just answer the questions as requested, job done, PC's apologise, thank you sir and they are on their way. In the past I have been stopped many times driving at night and it used to take a very short time to answer questions and get back on my way.
Really Suffolk Police? on 09:47 - Jun 12 with 5521 viewsNewcyBlue

Really Suffolk Police? on 09:30 - Jun 12 by GeoffSentence

It seemed a reasonable question to me, not sure why it wound anyone up.

Agreed. The responses to that comment were odd.

When wearing my stab proof vest on board when transiting piracy areas I’ve often found my hands going in like that. I think it’s probably a comfort thing. Although our stab vests are pretty uncomfortable.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Really Suffolk Police? on 09:47 - Jun 12 with 5523 viewsclive_baker

Really Suffolk Police? on 09:37 - Jun 12 by Basuco

I am not a policeman but to me the women we hear in he clip appears to have something to hide, her reaction is in excess of what you would expect from a person being asked to show a driving licence or prove they were driving legally. It would have been quicker and easier to just answer the questions as requested, job done, PC's apologise, thank you sir and they are on their way. In the past I have been stopped many times driving at night and it used to take a very short time to answer questions and get back on my way.

It's hard to say without any context. For all we know it could've been the 10th time she's been stopped & searched this month despite being perfectly innocent, and I can see why anyone would be frustrated at that and question why their white friends never seem to be. If it happened to me, I would assist them in their investigation and let them be on their way, but with everything that's going on it's very easy for a white male like me to say that.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Really Suffolk Police? on 09:49 - Jun 12 with 5502 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Really Suffolk Police? on 09:47 - Jun 12 by clive_baker

It's hard to say without any context. For all we know it could've been the 10th time she's been stopped & searched this month despite being perfectly innocent, and I can see why anyone would be frustrated at that and question why their white friends never seem to be. If it happened to me, I would assist them in their investigation and let them be on their way, but with everything that's going on it's very easy for a white male like me to say that.

Given the tone of the video and the fact that it's been publicised, I suspect she would have raised a personal history of being stopped and searched.

Really Suffolk Police? on 09:50 - Jun 12 with 5498 viewsNewcyBlue

Really Suffolk Police? on 09:31 - Jun 12 by Marshalls_Mullet

Indeed, they have a very tough job

I was pretty pleased to see them when some thugs tried to smash their way into my house at 4am one morning!!

Yeah sorry about that. I was trying to get through to your neighbours garden.

Poll: Who has been the best Bond?

Really Suffolk Police? on 09:50 - Jun 12 with 5496 viewsfooters

Really Suffolk Police? on 09:47 - Jun 12 by clive_baker

Nail on head. Our reactions to the police and other authority figures are based on previous experience. Like you, I'd probably go along with what they were asking just to get them off my back. But on the other hand, I haven't been stopped and searched for no reason or been told I'm another white person when I'm not, for years.

You can see why black people would take umbrage at that sort of intrusive questioning when just going about normal day-to-day life.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024