Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Divisiveness by Twitter. 12:04 - Jun 12 with 888 viewscatch74

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Divisiveness by Twitter. on 12:12 - Jun 12 with 836 viewsGirthyguy

The Russians Are Coming. Only Fools and Horses. Delboy says. ' there will be a Paki shop open somewhere'. That will be erased from history soon.
Divisiveness by Twitter. on 12:17 - Jun 12 with 806 viewsDarth_Koont

Good thread. It's certainly a clearer and more immediate effect on social media.

But we've been reacting before thinking for years and the editorialised, misleading and now clickbaity headlines we see feed into that tendency.

Not exactly sure when or how it happened but somewhere along the way our hot take/personal opinion became much more important and more of a driver than actually knowing what we're talking about.

As the Tweeter says at the end: "PLEASE CHECK YOUR SOURCES"

Pronouns: He/Him

Divisiveness by Twitter. on 12:19 - Jun 12 with 796 viewsSwansea_Blue

Divisiveness by Twitter. on 12:12 - Jun 12 by Girthyguy

The Russians Are Coming. Only Fools and Horses. Delboy says. ' there will be a Paki shop open somewhere'. That will be erased from history soon.

I think you've missed the point of the OP, whilst simultaneously demonstrating it.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Divisiveness by Twitter. on 12:23 - Jun 12 with 759 viewsbluelagos

Divisiveness by Twitter. on 12:17 - Jun 12 by Darth_Koont

Good thread. It's certainly a clearer and more immediate effect on social media.

But we've been reacting before thinking for years and the editorialised, misleading and now clickbaity headlines we see feed into that tendency.

Not exactly sure when or how it happened but somewhere along the way our hot take/personal opinion became much more important and more of a driver than actually knowing what we're talking about.

As the Tweeter says at the end: "PLEASE CHECK YOUR SOURCES"

"Not exactly sure when or how it happened but somewhere along the way our hot take/personal opinion became much more important and more of a driver than actually knowing what we're talking about."

I think for me, we have always had rent-a-gob / gobsh1tes - ill informed idiots who you usually found in the pub on a Friday night putting the world to rights with whatever bollox had upset them that week. The difference is surely that social media gives them a platform over.

And people seem unable to just shrug their shoulders at said rent-a-gob so it gets reacted too, shared etc rather than just ignored as moron down the pub used to be.

Agree we are often quick to react (I know can) but whether that is new, am not so sure.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Divisiveness by Twitter. on 12:31 - Jun 12 with 727 viewsGirthyguy

Divisiveness by Twitter. on 12:19 - Jun 12 by Swansea_Blue

I think you've missed the point of the OP, whilst simultaneously demonstrating it.

Yeah I know.
Divisiveness by Twitter. on 12:32 - Jun 12 with 720 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

Divisiveness by Twitter. on 12:23 - Jun 12 by bluelagos

"Not exactly sure when or how it happened but somewhere along the way our hot take/personal opinion became much more important and more of a driver than actually knowing what we're talking about."

I think for me, we have always had rent-a-gob / gobsh1tes - ill informed idiots who you usually found in the pub on a Friday night putting the world to rights with whatever bollox had upset them that week. The difference is surely that social media gives them a platform over.

And people seem unable to just shrug their shoulders at said rent-a-gob so it gets reacted too, shared etc rather than just ignored as moron down the pub used to be.

Agree we are often quick to react (I know can) but whether that is new, am not so sure.

See also: TWTD

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

Divisiveness by Twitter. on 12:32 - Jun 12 with 718 viewsSwansea_Blue

Divisiveness by Twitter. on 12:31 - Jun 12 by Girthyguy

Yeah I know.

That's ok then

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Divisiveness by Twitter. on 12:39 - Jun 12 with 686 viewsDarth_Koont

Divisiveness by Twitter. on 12:23 - Jun 12 by bluelagos

You're right that we've always had the gobsh*tes but that's now even become the basis of our politics over the last decade or so.

Hopefully this is a generational thing, but it seems that as our information has become more and more digital, the middle-aged and elderly in particular have missed that the average piece of information has become far less researched and fact-checked plus its primary aim is often to generate an emotional reaction and further clicks/engagement.

Overall the Internet is a fantastic source of information and knowledge but the onus is on the reader to be much more critical. And that's something older people are poorly prepared for. When it comes to the Internet, my innocent teenage daughters are a lot less naive and more savvy than my ex-scientist father with his much greater life experience. He hasn't internalised at all how "digital life" works and indeed it's his experience of real life that sets the trap.

Pronouns: He/Him

Login to get fewer ads

Divisiveness by Twitter. on 12:44 - Jun 12 with 664 viewsbluelagos

Divisiveness by Twitter. on 12:32 - Jun 12 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

See also: TWTD

That's a very fair comment.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024