Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone ever done a DNA test from Ancestry or the like? (n/t) 13:54 - Jun 13 with 2594 viewsitfcjoe

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Anyone ever done a DNA test from Ancestry or the like? (n/t) on 14:07 - Jun 13 with 2084 viewsfabian_illness

Been considering it over the last few weeks.
Went on Ancestry over the lockdown period and found a cousin in the States and another cousin who’s a doctor in Barnet.
My US cousin has been working on the family tree of our extremely splintered lot for a while.
My grandfather was in the navy during the war. By the time he got back both his wife and older daughter had gained illegitimate children.
My US cousin is the daughter of one of them who was put up for adoption.
Anyone ever done a DNA test from Ancestry or the like? (n/t) on 14:10 - Jun 13 with 2077 viewsandytown

My brother in law did one. He’s in Yorkshire. It came back as European or something like that.
Anyone ever done a DNA test from Ancestry or the like? (n/t) on 14:18 - Jun 13 with 2057 viewsfooters

Yeah, forgot who it was with now though. Wouldn't have really done it otherwise, but was an unwanted gift that Mother had and we didn't know anything about my Dad's family as he was abandoned as a baby.

It was pretty interesting and gave a breakdown in percentage of likelihood of origin. But there are some loons (Americans mainly) who you're less than a percent related to and will message you, which is annoying.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Anyone ever done a DNA test from Ancestry or the like? (n/t) on 14:30 - Jun 13 with 2037 viewsElephantintheRoom

Yes I did one a year ago - it was a gift, so I gave it a go despite not being overly optimistic.

It was quite fun - gave a banal and general breakdown that is not much more than a high-tech bit of wizardy done by a fairground fortune teller - ie you get some general info that applies to virtually everyone... though my 4% neanderthal genes was an unexpected treat.

Beware of DNA test owned by dodgy USA firms (most of them?). They exist to urge you to join expensive screening programmes and spend a small fortune worrying about diseases you dont have and wont get.

And you are left with the nagging doubt that your DNA is now on file, oven ready for Plod to fit you to a crime to get their figures up.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Anyone ever done a DNA test from Ancestry or the like? (n/t) on 14:31 - Jun 13 with 2032 viewsjaykay

dna ancestry by jaykay 11 Mar 2019 15:59
has any one done this yet ?
the kids got me one for christmas, and now have back the results
certain posters who are ukipers or extreme right wingers might like to know i am only 20%
english, but the good news i only 2% french .
the test shows a map of england highlighting south of england from the wash down to gloucester as where my english dna comes from.
23% comes from ,well the clue is Kukri

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Anyone ever done a DNA test from Ancestry or the like? (n/t) on 14:40 - Jun 13 with 2019 viewsfactual_blue

Anyone ever done a DNA test from Ancestry or the like? (n/t) on 14:30 - Jun 13 by ElephantintheRoom

Yes I did one a year ago - it was a gift, so I gave it a go despite not being overly optimistic.

It was quite fun - gave a banal and general breakdown that is not much more than a high-tech bit of wizardy done by a fairground fortune teller - ie you get some general info that applies to virtually everyone... though my 4% neanderthal genes was an unexpected treat.

Beware of DNA test owned by dodgy USA firms (most of them?). They exist to urge you to join expensive screening programmes and spend a small fortune worrying about diseases you dont have and wont get.

And you are left with the nagging doubt that your DNA is now on file, oven ready for Plod to fit you to a crime to get their figures up.

Ancestry is owned by the Mormon Church.

Don't know if that makes you feel better or worse.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Anyone ever done a DNA test from Ancestry or the like? (n/t) on 14:43 - Jun 13 with 2020 viewsSharkey

Anyone ever done a DNA test from Ancestry or the like? (n/t) on 14:31 - Jun 13 by jaykay

dna ancestry by jaykay 11 Mar 2019 15:59
has any one done this yet ?
the kids got me one for christmas, and now have back the results
certain posters who are ukipers or extreme right wingers might like to know i am only 20%
english, but the good news i only 2% french .
the test shows a map of england highlighting south of england from the wash down to gloucester as where my english dna comes from.
23% comes from ,well the clue is Kukri

I know a woman who started researching her family tree, which her family were enthusiastic about it until it got as far back as three well-documented generations of public executioners in Halmstad (Sweden.)
Anyone ever done a DNA test from Ancestry or the like? (n/t) on 14:46 - Jun 13 with 2007 viewsfooters

Anyone ever done a DNA test from Ancestry or the like? (n/t) on 14:40 - Jun 13 by factual_blue

One of his wives is very upset, but the other doesn't really mind.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone ever done a DNA test from Ancestry or the like? (n/t) on 14:57 - Jun 13 with 1986 viewsBLUEBEAT

Once your DNA is on a database, the über rich can arrange to harvest your organs when they need them.

Poll: W or W

Anyone ever done a DNA test from Ancestry or the like? (n/t) on 15:18 - Jun 13 with 1914 viewsWeWereZombies

I got myself one as a Christmas present a couple of years ago. We already had a quite extensive family tree and the results did not seem too far out of line with it. The biggest disappointment was that I only had 2% Scots/Welsh/Irish DNA - but at least there was a line for it...until a revision turned up unannounced eighteen months later which knocked out the Gaelic altogether (as well as the Iberian peninsula, other Southern European, German, and Russo-Finnish elements). The East of England, East Midlands bit was fairly untouched but the Viking bit was replaced by a 7% Swedish line.

So I reckon AncestryDNA are a few decades off being able to do a proper job but will be able to give you a hand waving broad brush sort of bit of paper for your £70...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Anyone ever done a DNA test from Ancestry or the like? (n/t) on 15:18 - Jun 13 with 1914 viewsKeno

Anyone ever done a DNA test from Ancestry or the like? (n/t) on 14:57 - Jun 13 by BLUEBEAT

Once your DNA is on a database, the über rich can arrange to harvest your organs when they need them.

some uber fish posh potty can harvest my organ anytime!!

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Anyone ever done a DNA test from Ancestry or the like? (n/t) on 15:32 - Jun 13 with 1890 viewsSwansea_Blue

Yes. I'm descended from Winston Churchill's statue. Prowpa patriot me!

Actually, no.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Anyone ever done a DNA test from Ancestry or the like? (n/t) on 15:42 - Jun 13 with 1868 viewseastangliaisblue

These things are supposed to be a load of rubbish, by all accounts, aren't they? I remember reading an article, that a set of twins both done one, and got different results from one another.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2020 15:51]
Anyone ever done a DNA test from Ancestry or the like? (n/t) on 15:43 - Jun 13 with 1869 viewstractordownsouth

I'd be happy for the 'patriots' in London today to do a test... What if it turns out they're 1/8th Muslamic?

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Anyone ever done a DNA test from Ancestry or the like? (n/t) on 15:47 - Jun 13 with 1860 viewsWeWereZombies

Anyone ever done a DNA test from Ancestry or the like? (n/t) on 15:42 - Jun 13 by eastangliaisblue

These things are supposed to be a load of rubbish, by all accounts, aren't they? I remember reading an article, that a set of twins both done one, and got different results from one another.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2020 15:51]

In fairness to AncestryDNA they did provide an almost exact match to another test that was done by an extremely close relative.

Anyone ever done a DNA test from Ancestry or the like? (n/t) on 16:27 - Jun 13 with 1816 viewsjaykay

Anyone ever done a DNA test from Ancestry or the like? (n/t) on 15:47 - Jun 13 by WeWereZombies

In fairness to AncestryDNA they did provide an almost exact match to another test that was done by an extremely close relative.

they also matched me to my cousins boy. who went to the states 30 years ago with his mum after my cousin divorced his mother. also they pin pointed me to 25% nepali which is correct and you couldn't that get from my Irish surname

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Anyone ever done a DNA test from Ancestry or the like? (n/t) on 16:34 - Jun 13 with 1793 viewsWeWereZombies

Anyone ever done a DNA test from Ancestry or the like? (n/t) on 16:27 - Jun 13 by jaykay

they also matched me to my cousins boy. who went to the states 30 years ago with his mum after my cousin divorced his mother. also they pin pointed me to 25% nepali which is correct and you couldn't that get from my Irish surname

भलाइ मलाई दयालु

Anyone ever done a DNA test from Ancestry or the like? (n/t) on 17:34 - Jun 13 with 1744 viewsEwan_Oozami

Anyone ever done a DNA test from Ancestry or the like? (n/t) on 16:27 - Jun 13 by jaykay

Were any of your family in the Army by any chance?

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Anyone ever done a DNA test from Ancestry or the like? (n/t) on 17:40 - Jun 13 with 1737 viewsjaykay

Anyone ever done a DNA test from Ancestry or the like? (n/t) on 17:34 - Jun 13 by Ewan_Oozami

Were any of your family in the Army by any chance?

no . lets think tea plantations and people taken advantage of

Anyone ever done a DNA test from Ancestry or the like? (n/t) on 17:49 - Jun 13 with 1716 viewsSwansea_Blue

Anyone ever done a DNA test from Ancestry or the like? (n/t) on 15:43 - Jun 13 by tractordownsouth

I'd be happy for the 'patriots' in London today to do a test... What if it turns out they're 1/8th Muslamic?

7/8ths amoeba

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Anyone ever done a DNA test from Ancestry or the like? (n/t) on 18:09 - Jun 13 with 1694 viewsswede

Anyone ever done a DNA test from Ancestry or the like? (n/t) on 14:40 - Jun 13 by factual_blue

No, I'm afraid you are wrong there, but the Mormons do own familysearch.com.
Anyone ever done a DNA test from Ancestry or the like? (n/t) on 18:13 - Jun 13 with 1684 viewsfactual_blue

Anyone ever done a DNA test from Ancestry or the like? (n/t) on 18:09 - Jun 13 by swede

No, I'm afraid you are wrong there, but the Mormons do own familysearch.com.

Fair enough, but it is owned by Mormons.

Anyone ever done a DNA test from Ancestry or the like? (n/t) on 18:14 - Jun 13 with 1682 viewsfactual_blue

Anyone ever done a DNA test from Ancestry or the like? (n/t) on 15:43 - Jun 13 by tractordownsouth

They'll get a ray gun then won't they?

Anyone ever done a DNA test from Ancestry or the like? (n/t) on 18:20 - Jun 13 with 1673 viewsswede

Having been researching my family history for over twenty years by traditional methods, (ie at County Archives and by buying birth, marriage & death certificates), I did do an Ancestry DNA test about a year ago.

It was quite accurate to my research, showing that I am 65% English and narrows that down to a mixture of East Suffolk & Northumberland (Mum's family East Suffolk for generations and Dad was from Newcastle upon Tyne). I am also 20% Scottish which I also knew as some of Dad's ancestors were in the Highlands of Scotland before coming south to Newcastle.

The parts I do not know about (which may go back generations) are 6% German, 5% Swedish and 4% French.
Anyone ever done a DNA test from Ancestry or the like? (n/t) on 18:23 - Jun 13 with 1659 viewsjeera

Anyone ever done a DNA test from Ancestry or the like? (n/t) on 18:20 - Jun 13 by swede

Having been researching my family history for over twenty years by traditional methods, (ie at County Archives and by buying birth, marriage & death certificates), I did do an Ancestry DNA test about a year ago.

It was quite accurate to my research, showing that I am 65% English and narrows that down to a mixture of East Suffolk & Northumberland (Mum's family East Suffolk for generations and Dad was from Newcastle upon Tyne). I am also 20% Scottish which I also knew as some of Dad's ancestors were in the Highlands of Scotland before coming south to Newcastle.

The parts I do not know about (which may go back generations) are 6% German, 5% Swedish and 4% French.

I'm a bit disappointed you didn't say you were surprised to discover you are at least part turnip or some other root vegetable.
[Post edited 13 Jun 2020 18:27]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024