Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Proper Music ????? 16:41 - Jun 14 with 1223 viewsIP12

Eastern European Rock circa early 1970's
Proper Music ????? on 17:52 - Jun 14 with 1173 viewsuefacup81

Wow. That's certainly... something.

Away from strange Czechoslovakian covers of popular western hits, the DDR turned out some pretty good bands. You might recognise some of these if you've watched Deutschland 83. The lyrics to the first two are pretty relevant even today:

(Lyrics: https://lyricstranslate.com/en/das-buch-book.html)

(Lyrics: https://lyricstranslate.com/en/der-blaue-planet-blue-planet.html-1)

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Proper Music ????? on 18:34 - Jun 14 with 1155 viewslinhdi

Proper Music ????? on 17:52 - Jun 14 by uefacup81

Wow. That's certainly... something.

Away from strange Czechoslovakian covers of popular western hits, the DDR turned out some pretty good bands. You might recognise some of these if you've watched Deutschland 83. The lyrics to the first two are pretty relevant even today:

(Lyrics: https://lyricstranslate.com/en/das-buch-book.html)

(Lyrics: https://lyricstranslate.com/en/der-blaue-planet-blue-planet.html-1)

I'm a bit of a fan of Karat, sort of Camelesque prog. Their lyrics seems a little opaque, but that's because they had to get past the censors.
Their most famous song is "uber sieben Bruecken", clearly a protest song dressed up in a ballad. And more recently given an excruciating cover treatment by Chris de Burgh, who seemed to have used Google Translate in failing to convey any of the meaning or sentiment.
Proper Music ????? on 18:54 - Jun 14 with 1139 viewsJimmyJazz

German metal from 84 https://music.youtube.com/watch?v=IhtLc6irDjI&feature=share

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Proper Music ????? on 19:36 - Jun 14 with 1103 viewsuefacup81

Proper Music ????? on 18:34 - Jun 14 by linhdi

I'm a bit of a fan of Karat, sort of Camelesque prog. Their lyrics seems a little opaque, but that's because they had to get past the censors.
Their most famous song is "uber sieben Bruecken", clearly a protest song dressed up in a ballad. And more recently given an excruciating cover treatment by Chris de Burgh, who seemed to have used Google Translate in failing to convey any of the meaning or sentiment.

That's really interesting about Über Sieben Brücken. I've only ever known the Peter Maffay version released the year after Karat, so didn't realise it was a cover and it's origins. It just seems like a fairly inoffensive ballad, so I'd never really paid much attention to the lyrics.

I'll have to give it a proper listen next time.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Proper Music ????? on 19:56 - Jun 14 with 1093 viewsEdwardStone

Wonderful.....I enjoyed that

Thanks for posting Mr IP

I have always been curious about how slavishly the Soviet Union/Soviet States denounced all US culture and yet slavishly followed/imitated it....their cars from 50s and 60s could have rolled off the end of the production line in Detroit not Gorky, their music is just a direct copy

I will drop this in...from Balkans, an examination of the joys and perils of emigration

Proper Music ????? on 19:57 - Jun 14 with 1091 viewsEwan_Oozami

"And more recently given an excruciating cover treatment by Chris de Burgh, who seemed to have used Google Translate in failing to convey any of the meaning or sentiment. "

Ought to be banned under the Geneva Convention..(now they were a good band...)

Just one small problem; sell their houses to who, Ben? Fcking Aquaman?
Poll: What else could go on top of the cake apart from icing and a cherry?

Proper Music ????? on 22:41 - Jun 14 with 1012 viewsfactual_blue

One of the most overlooked prog rock bands is Ancient Platypus.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Proper Music ????? on 22:59 - Jun 14 with 1001 viewsBluesquid

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024