Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We're not that far off 12:20 - Jun 15 with 13754 viewsgoperryrevs

After the Cov away game, I chatted to some Cov fans who said that, first half especially, we were the best team by far they'd seen all season. Early in the season, Cov's defence was woeful at times. But they managed to plug that gap, turn it around and now they're up.

Especially in league 1, margins are small - which is why we went from winning every week to losing every week. We've got a good crop of youngsters coming through, and players returning from injury, and a manager who, despite his failings at times, should be good enough for league 1. We'll have also had the experience playing for a season in league 1 to draw on.

Even if we lose Flynniesta and Wolf, there's enough to be hopeful that if/when next season happens, there's no reason we shouldn't be able to have a good go of it.
We're not that far off on 12:21 - Jun 15 with 4947 viewsBlueBadger

Sure there is, the manager is total busted flush and a fraud who doesn't know what he's doing.
[Post edited 15 Jun 2020 12:49]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

We're not that far off on 12:23 - Jun 15 with 4911 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

We have some very good players at this level, and some very average ones.

We should be good enough for play offs, but our manager can't decided on what his best team is and stick with it.

...all his negativity at the start of the season with the utter tosh about number of games etc set a very poor tone, and his own narrative led to ridiculous amounts of rotation.

Fair enough rotate for cups if you must, but stick to a team for the league!!

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

We're not that far off on 12:33 - Jun 15 with 4846 viewsHerbivore

Our manager would probably drag a Sunday league side backwards if we're being brutally honest about his capabilities. The squad is plenty good enough, with a couple of additions it should be good enough to stroll to promotion. I have zero faith in Lambert though.

Also, I thought Flynn's nickname was Flynnedine Zidownes? Flynniesta isn't bad either though.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

We're not that far off on 12:35 - Jun 15 with 4829 viewsLibero

We're sh1t mate, sorry.
We're not that far off on 12:48 - Jun 15 with 4766 viewsLankHenners

From the reports of those that went, that half against Coventry was a welcome anomaly to the dross that came before and after it. And we still didn't win.

Lambert's right that the squad is good enough to fight for promotion, although, amusingly, it was an unintentional admission that he'd completely failed.

Margins can be small, but you just have to look at some of the performances post-January to see how far off we were - Fleetwood, for e.g., looked streets ahead of us simply by looking like a coherent team who knew their roles, where they needed to be to receive the ball, where to pass, when to be brave with the ball etc. All the things you work on every week to build a solid team.

We spent the whole season faffing about and at the end of it Lambert goes 'well we had a bad couple of months and were unlucky with injuries but I'll try and do better next time'. I have absolutely zero faith that he'll learn anything and we'll do any better if that's his genuine assessment of the season.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

We're not that far off on 12:54 - Jun 15 with 4722 viewsclive_baker

We played quite well against Coventry to be fair, and that was a good point at their place. They and Rotherham were the best 2 sides in the league, which was evident from Christmas time at least, but aside from that away performance they made us look distinctly average on the other 3 league occasions, Rotherham especially. Peterborough too, they pulled our pants down when they were on song.

Its funny, in the Championship under Mick I often saw accusations of us lacking heart or effort, which I never believed to be the case. We lacked ability and investment in key areas, but never really lacked effort to be fair to MM. Last season we had the ability and largely had the personnel on paper, but we lacked leadership and any real identity, intensity or creativity. We were so pedestrian and predictable with the ball, nobody capable or willing to break the lines, nobody willing to take any responsibility on the ball and make things happen. We were so easy to play against. Dozzell showed glimpses of something a little outside the box in terms of his passing, but his opportunities were limited and he was anonymous for large periods when he was involved. Dobra and El Miz have the fearlessness of youth, albeit their opportunities were limited. KVY looked a cut above until injuries hampered his progress. Aside from Downes just about nobody in midfield came out of last season with any credit. Huws, Skuse, Nolan were passengers for the most part. Further forward, Norwood looked unfit from early on, Jackson's quick but not the greatest footballer I've ever witnessed. Keane is technically able but as weak as p1ss, he's got no fight in him whatsoever.

No character. No leadership. The issues all stem from the top and from the management. Nothing short of dire.
[Post edited 15 Jun 2020 12:57]

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

We're not that far off on 13:02 - Jun 15 with 4678 viewsdominiciawful

We are fücking shït.

Poll: Which manager of the Marcus Evans era do you dislike the most?

We're not that far off on 13:06 - Jun 15 with 4648 viewsBiGDonnie

When*

Be under no illusions - Both Flynniesta and Woolf are off - I've even heard the deal for Woolf to go Leeds is already done and dusted.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

We're not that far off on 13:13 - Jun 15 with 4611 viewsDarth_Koont

We were much better in that first half than we were in almost every other game last season. We even looked like we knew how to make use of Keane and bring him into the game.

It was a one-off unfortunately.

Pronouns: He/Him

We're not that far off on 13:22 - Jun 15 with 4564 viewsIllinoisblue

Whatever the new season holds and whenever it starts, I hope we don’t have to suffer seeing Alan Judge in a Town shirt again.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

We're not that far off on 13:27 - Jun 15 with 4527 viewsBlueBadger

We're not that far off on 13:22 - Jun 15 by Illinoisblue

Whatever the new season holds and whenever it starts, I hope we don’t have to suffer seeing Alan Judge in a Town shirt again.

Not since Jimmy Bullard has a player done so little yet been rated so much.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

We're not that far off on 13:37 - Jun 15 with 4476 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

We're not that far off on 13:27 - Jun 15 by BlueBadger

No, he’s a class act and we’re lucky to have him, if you can’t see his quality then clearly you know nothing about football etc etc

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

We're not that far off on 13:49 - Jun 15 with 4426 viewspointofblue

We're not that far off on 13:27 - Jun 15 by BlueBadger

Bullard at least turned up during the loan spell. As for Judge...

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

We're not that far off on 14:01 - Jun 15 with 4374 viewsJamestownPrince

We should have been 3 or 4 up that first half, - the second half we were poor, however to be fair to Coventry, they were rather decent in the second half
[Post edited 15 Jun 2020 14:02]
We're not that far off on 14:12 - Jun 15 with 4331 viewsclive_baker

We're not that far off on 13:37 - Jun 15 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

No, he’s a class act and we’re lucky to have him, if you can’t see his quality then clearly you know nothing about football etc etc

I still think he should be a really valuable asset at this level, I definitely saw evidence of it. I don't think he was well utilised last season and was often shoe horned into a wide role. When he played centrally he looked much more comfortable, but he also needs to earn the right to start games like anyone else. There were too many occasions where his touch was sh1t, delivery was sh1t, or he tried too much that didn't come off. Judge was heavily involved in most of our best performances, but he was also involved in our absolute worst too and is rightly criticised.

Huws is another one, he can't get by on his name alone. It's right to make concessions given their injuries but had either been signed by Hurst they would've been public enemy #1 on here last season. Huws looked so sluggish in possession, slowed us down so much and like he was running in sand most weeks I saw him. He was pony. These players need to do more to prove that they should start on merit ahead of the Dobra's and El Mizouni's, there can be no dining out on past glories.

These 2, plus Bishop, KVY etc are players who have had bad injuries, and the break might be something of a leveller for them in terms of fitness. Hopefully they've looked after themselves and can get a proper pre-season under their belt and start adding some value next season.

We're not that far off on 14:49 - Jun 15 with 4258 viewsHerbivore

We're not that far off on 13:37 - Jun 15 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

He's not crap, everyone else around him is crap. That's why he doesn't score goals or create chances.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

We're not that far off on 15:09 - Jun 15 with 4208 viewsthebooks

[shrugs] We’ve looked good in very small patches over the last couple of seasons. For the vast majority of that time, we’ve been god awful.

Coventry won the game quite comfortably. Sounds like they were just being nice.
We're not that far off on 15:10 - Jun 15 with 4201 viewsLibero

We're not that far off on 15:09 - Jun 15 by thebooks

[shrugs] We’ve looked good in very small patches over the last couple of seasons. For the vast majority of that time, we’ve been god awful.

Or desensitised? Last few years aside Coventry are the only other club in the UK who have had quite as much of a profound and consistent slump as we have.
[Post edited 15 Jun 2020 15:10]
We're not that far off on 15:13 - Jun 15 with 4178 viewsgoperryrevs

We're not that far off on 15:09 - Jun 15 by thebooks

No, it was a draw.
We're not that far off on 15:17 - Jun 15 with 4147 viewsthebooks

We're not that far off on 15:13 - Jun 15 by goperryrevs

No, it was a draw.

Sorry, thought you were talking about the home defeat. My bad.

We are still very, very poor though.
We're not that far off on 15:34 - Jun 15 with 4107 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

We're not that far off on 14:12 - Jun 15 by clive_baker

I still think he should be a really valuable asset at this level, I definitely saw evidence of it. I don't think he was well utilised last season and was often shoe horned into a wide role. When he played centrally he looked much more comfortable, but he also needs to earn the right to start games like anyone else. There were too many occasions where his touch was sh1t, delivery was sh1t, or he tried too much that didn't come off. Judge was heavily involved in most of our best performances, but he was also involved in our absolute worst too and is rightly criticised.

Huws is another one, he can't get by on his name alone. It's right to make concessions given their injuries but had either been signed by Hurst they would've been public enemy #1 on here last season. Huws looked so sluggish in possession, slowed us down so much and like he was running in sand most weeks I saw him. He was pony. These players need to do more to prove that they should start on merit ahead of the Dobra's and El Mizouni's, there can be no dining out on past glories.

These 2, plus Bishop, KVY etc are players who have had bad injuries, and the break might be something of a leveller for them in terms of fitness. Hopefully they've looked after themselves and can get a proper pre-season under their belt and start adding some value next season.

I don’t want to sound sarcastic given the thought you’ve put in but most of that still smacks of making every excuse under the sun for him rather than accepting that he’s just not really any good any more

Particularly the implication that the break could help him return to fitness from an injury he returned from a whole 2 and a half years ago. He’s 32 in November - the Judge we’ve seen is the player Alan Judge is now, the idea that he is suddenly going to become brilliant thanks to an extended rest is fairly laughable IMO

I agree broadly on the other 3 FWIW although suspect Huws and Bishop just don’t have bodies made to cope with regular professional football unfortunately. Lankester on the other hand is another to add to the list that could benefit - and Sears too

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

We're not that far off on 15:57 - Jun 15 with 4059 viewsclive_baker

We're not that far off on 15:34 - Jun 15 by C_HealyIsAPleasure

I don’t want to sound sarcastic given the thought you’ve put in but most of that still smacks of making every excuse under the sun for him rather than accepting that he’s just not really any good any more

Particularly the implication that the break could help him return to fitness from an injury he returned from a whole 2 and a half years ago. He’s 32 in November - the Judge we’ve seen is the player Alan Judge is now, the idea that he is suddenly going to become brilliant thanks to an extended rest is fairly laughable IMO

I agree broadly on the other 3 FWIW although suspect Huws and Bishop just don’t have bodies made to cope with regular professional football unfortunately. Lankester on the other hand is another to add to the list that could benefit - and Sears too

I'm not making excuses, I don't have any loyalty to the bloke, quite the opposite. I pay he wages, we all do. I thought he was unplayable against Burton and really showed what he was capable of, but I'll also call a spade a spade and say he was sh1t on a number of occasions. It's not like we tore it up without him though, Wimbledon away sticks in my memory, Josh Earl marauding up the left wing like Bambi on ice, we created very little against one of the worst sides in the division while Judge sat on the bench.

It's incredibly hard to come back from such serious injuries, 2 years later or otherwise. He might never be a L1 player again, but all I'm saying is if we're going to write players off based on last season we might as well reconvene with 4 or 5 players next season. Judge has looked handy for Ireland since, and made most of MM's squads, yet he's not good enough for us. That doesn't quite stack up for me. Until we fix the issue that we're rudderless and Lambert can't get a tune out of anyone, it's a bit premature to dismiss certain players.

Just my opinion, but fully respect yours.

We're not that far off on 16:03 - Jun 15 with 4037 viewsitfcjoe

That first half was as good as we have played all season, onbe of the very vew times we played a variance of one up front which was Lambert's preferred set up last season and previously.

We just didn't get any style hammered into the squad so it was a total wasted season last year, had it been a 2 steps forwards, 1 step back type year with some real progress (like Jim's first season, or Burley in 95/96) then I'd be a lot less annoyed with Lambert and have more faith in him

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

We're not that far off on 16:23 - Jun 15 with 3980 viewsTheTrueBlue1878

I remember that game ever so well, back in early December. That particular 45 minutes was probably the best I've seen us play under Lambert.

It was 45 minutes, back in December. We finished 11th, we ended up miles away.

Pathetic effort is the only way you can describe last year.

Poll: Would you be happy with Paul Lambert?

We're not that far off on 16:27 - Jun 15 with 3959 viewsDubtractor

We're not that far off on 16:23 - Jun 15 by TheTrueBlue1878

I remember that game ever so well, back in early December. That particular 45 minutes was probably the best I've seen us play under Lambert.

It was 45 minutes, back in December. We finished 11th, we ended up miles away.

Pathetic effort is the only way you can describe last year.

"It was 45 minutes, back in December. We finished 11th, we ended up miles away."

Exactly this.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024