Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A promising youngster has turned us down to go to university in America 15:13 - Jun 15 with 2016 viewsReuser_is_God

Fair play to him & all that but doesn't show us in a good light does it?

I'd have thought players would swim the Atlantic in the other direction to sign for us.

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

A promising youngster has turned us down to go to university in America on 15:32 - Jun 15 with 1939 viewsKieran_Knows

Uni in Atlanta, which I presume will have some sort of ties to the club? Fair play to the lad.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

A promising youngster has turned us down to go to university in America on 15:36 - Jun 15 with 1925 viewssparks

A promising youngster has turned us down to go to university in America on 15:32 - Jun 15 by Kieran_Knows

Uni in Atlanta, which I presume will have some sort of ties to the club? Fair play to the lad.

These things are often scholarships- whey they play and coach football as part of the deal to get a university education. Its fairly common with British young footballers. Had a friend at school did it years ago- and a couple who have had connections with local non league clubs have done similar.

Atlanta is hardly the height of glamour so far as the US is concerned- but a great opportunity for someone who doesnt see themselves as a shoo-in for serious football earnings (prem / champ)

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

A promising youngster has turned us down to go to university in America on 15:41 - Jun 15 with 1900 viewsFixed_It

Great opportunity - much as I love the Club I can't really blame him.

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

A promising youngster has turned us down to go to university in America on 15:42 - Jun 15 with 1901 viewsWallingford_Boy

But we didn't offer him a deal though did we? Was wrongly reported last week that he'd been given a pro deal, his academy deal was simply extended.

Guess that was the deciding factor.

RIP Sir Bobby

A promising youngster has turned us down to go to university in America on 15:46 - Jun 15 with 1878 viewsPhilTWTD

A promising youngster has turned us down to go to university in America on 15:36 - Jun 15 by sparks

These things are often scholarships- whey they play and coach football as part of the deal to get a university education. Its fairly common with British young footballers. Had a friend at school did it years ago- and a couple who have had connections with local non league clubs have done similar.

Atlanta is hardly the height of glamour so far as the US is concerned- but a great opportunity for someone who doesnt see themselves as a shoo-in for serious football earnings (prem / champ)

I assume the move is via US Soccer Scholarships, which is run by a former academy player.

Former Academy Striker Helping Young Players to Find US Scholarships 28th Jan 2015 16:35
Former Town academy striker Liam Barrett has set up a company which helps young footballers find scholarships at US colleges. 1

A promising youngster has turned us down to go to university in America on 16:07 - Jun 15 with 1771 viewsAce_High1

Maybe it is a lifestyle choice?

Live in Ipswich....... or some major city in the US.
A promising youngster has turned us down to go to university in America on 16:21 - Jun 15 with 1732 viewsRegencyBlue

He wasn’t offered a professional contract though was he. What he was offered was a third year on his scholarship here.

Genuine question, is that a normal thing for the club to do, if they weren’t too sure about him, or was it trying to do things on the cheap?
A promising youngster has turned us down to go to university in America on 16:22 - Jun 15 with 1727 viewsCanadianBlue

From the news report, the lad is decently intelligent so why shouldn't he go grab a degree for free? He'll play at a decent level, be able to come back to the UK with 4 years NCAA experience and a degree if it doesn't pan out. Especially if he wasn't offered a professional deal.

Think it says more about the options available to players now than in the past.
Login to get fewer ads

A promising youngster has turned us down to go to university in America on 16:29 - Jun 15 with 1697 viewsfactual_blue

Probably got a lucrative sports scholarship, followed by a coaching role for the Uni's soccer team.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

A promising youngster has turned us down to go to university in America on 19:16 - Jun 15 with 1519 viewsIllinoisblue

A promising youngster has turned us down to go to university in America on 16:07 - Jun 15 by Ace_High1

What he said

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

A promising youngster has turned us down to go to university in America on 23:26 - Jun 15 with 1338 viewsSharkey

A promising youngster has turned us down to go to university in America on 16:07 - Jun 15 by Ace_High1

I heard one of the pubs in Boxford might re-open.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024