Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Orwellian 18:04 - Jun 15 with 1600 viewsDarth_Koont

This was Communism a few months ago. Now "Will no-one think of the poor children?"

Establishment tosspots are now doling out favours like Victorian philanthropists.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2020/jun/15/uk-children-reliable-broadban

Pronouns: He/Him

Orwellian on 18:14 - Jun 15 with 1557 viewsStokieBlue

I think you're being rather liberal with your equivalence there, nationalising broadband companies isn't the same as giving broadband to specific poorer households due to a specific need generated by specific circumstances. The Labour policy was expected to cost 35-50bn or approximately half the cost of the furlough - this will be nothing like that.

Probably should have been done 3 months ago when it was obvious this issue would affect many children.

SB
[Post edited 15 Jun 2020 18:15]

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Orwellian on 18:19 - Jun 15 with 1539 viewsOldsmoker

What do we want? Everything.
When do we want it? Now.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Orwellian on 18:38 - Jun 15 with 1497 viewsSwansea_Blue

I always thought that was a standout manifesto pledge. At this day in age the benefits of fast, 'free' broadband to all is huge. If you're prioritising infrastructure, digital infrastructure must be near the top of the list.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Orwellian on 18:40 - Jun 15 with 1489 viewsSwansea_Blue

Orwellian on 18:14 - Jun 15 by StokieBlue

I think you're being rather liberal with your equivalence there, nationalising broadband companies isn't the same as giving broadband to specific poorer households due to a specific need generated by specific circumstances. The Labour policy was expected to cost 35-50bn or approximately half the cost of the furlough - this will be nothing like that.

Probably should have been done 3 months ago when it was obvious this issue would affect many children.

SB
[Post edited 15 Jun 2020 18:15]

A sixth of a Brexit then. Sounds like a bargain. For future proofed broadband that would benefit everyone, the importance of which has been shown recently with most organisations and individuals relying on it more than ever.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Orwellian on 20:22 - Jun 15 with 1414 viewsgordon

Orwellian on 18:40 - Jun 15 by Swansea_Blue

A sixth of a Brexit then. Sounds like a bargain. For future proofed broadband that would benefit everyone, the importance of which has been shown recently with most organisations and individuals relying on it more than ever.

It wasn't really the right moment to propose a convoluted, complicated, ideology driven, massive government project. It was the sort of ambitious idea that might have worked for an incumbent Labour Government with widespread support that had already successfully re-nationalised the railways, for example.

I think we're going to have quite low expectations of all politicians for the next little while anyway what with the inane stupidity of Brexit, the disastrous handling of Coronavirus, and all the other smaller clusterf*cks going on.
Orwellian on 21:20 - Jun 15 with 1385 viewsDarth_Koont

Orwellian on 20:22 - Jun 15 by gordon

It wasn't really the right moment to propose a convoluted, complicated, ideology driven, massive government project. It was the sort of ambitious idea that might have worked for an incumbent Labour Government with widespread support that had already successfully re-nationalised the railways, for example.

I think we're going to have quite low expectations of all politicians for the next little while anyway what with the inane stupidity of Brexit, the disastrous handling of Coronavirus, and all the other smaller clusterf*cks going on.

Why "ideology driven"?

It's purely practical that you're going to need central funding for infrastructure projects especially where the pay-off is long-term social and economic development.

I think it's pretty clear by now that the private sector isn't best suited to that and should stick to areas where competition and profit can actually be effective drivers of progress.

Orwellian on 22:37 - Jun 15 with 1304 viewslowhouseblue

Orwellian on 18:38 - Jun 15 by Swansea_Blue

I always thought that was a standout manifesto pledge. At this day in age the benefits of fast, 'free' broadband to all is huge. If you're prioritising infrastructure, digital infrastructure must be near the top of the list.

and totally free. no one has to pay for it. wow. it's almost magical.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

Orwellian on 11:54 - Jun 16 with 1184 viewsgordon

Orwellian on 21:20 - Jun 15 by Darth_Koont

Why "ideology driven"?

It's purely practical that you're going to need central funding for infrastructure projects especially where the pay-off is long-term social and economic development.

I think it's pretty clear by now that the private sector isn't best suited to that and should stick to areas where competition and profit can actually be effective drivers of progress.

That's a fair point re it almost certainly being the most efficient way of delivering a utility like broadband, but I think that:

a) it was certainly perceived by lots of people as an ideological nationalisation (and perception is what matters in elections) and;

b) when McDonnell announced it he talked about fighting back against the multinationals, rather than focussing on it being a practical choice.

A nationalised free broadband service is an eminently sensible and straightforward idea; but regardless of that, trying to unravel the myriad complexities of the way the private sector currently delivers broadband would be an enormous challenge.
[Post edited 16 Jun 2020 11:55]
Login to get fewer ads

Orwellian on 12:08 - Jun 16 with 1145 viewsDarth_Koont

Orwellian on 11:54 - Jun 16 by gordon

That's a fair point re it almost certainly being the most efficient way of delivering a utility like broadband, but I think that:

a) it was certainly perceived by lots of people as an ideological nationalisation (and perception is what matters in elections) and;

b) when McDonnell announced it he talked about fighting back against the multinationals, rather than focussing on it being a practical choice.

A nationalised free broadband service is an eminently sensible and straightforward idea; but regardless of that, trying to unravel the myriad complexities of the way the private sector currently delivers broadband would be an enormous challenge.
[Post edited 16 Jun 2020 11:55]

That's fair enough. But I think that speaks more to the orthodoxy of our narrow political debate that this could be so easily called communism and people fell for it. Now essentially the same thing is sensible purely because it's not being crudely labelled as wrong.

On a related note, there's a worrying and seemingly ideological/faith-based resistance to change and looking at solutions that are objectively sensible and for the greater good.

The UK seems to have internalised free-market dogma far more than our neighbours who are often much more progressive and balanced in their approach. At its core, that divergence is what drove the principal actors and backers of Brexit. All very predictable and depressing regarding the minority who that's going to serve.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024