Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Post pandemic trips 18:21 - Jun 15 with 2223 viewssparks

No summer hols to speak of this year. Allowing for money to be spent on things like the patio, and pizza ovens and maybe log burners.

However, it has got me thinking about what I really need to do travel wise before I get too old, and that I should really start prioritising some money accordingly.

Wife wants to do NY again. Fine by me- preferably post-Trump though.

I have talked for years about doing a deep south trip. Into New orleans, up the River (preferably in a proper American car without a roof), stopping on the way, trip to the shack up in, and the Clarksdale for the Juke Joint festival. Would be cool to get a little gig or something there- I have a friend who has played there a few times and knows people and places around Mississippi. Might be able to wangle something.

Then I think it has to be Japan. I want to see Japanese gardens and Bonsai, Mount Fuji ,the crazy chaos of Tokyo.

A return to the Maldives will probably need to wait until the kids have left home...

Anyone have must-do trips, and re-focussed on them during this period of being restricted?

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Post pandemic trips on 19:12 - Jun 15 with 1762 viewssyntaxerror

My sisters 50th in South Africa in November - may or may not happen.
Going to my holiday home on the edge of a forest just outside Krakow as soon as we can fly and return without quarantine.
Post pandemic trips on 19:25 - Jun 15 with 1740 viewsclive_baker

I really love America. It doesn't feel like it too much right now, but I'm confident better times will come, post November. I did a great road trip out there a number of years ago, shortly after I finished Uni with a few friends of mine. Colorado - Utah - Navada - California, spent 6 weeks there. A couple of years prior to that I spent 8 weeks summer holidays in Florida teaching Football, that was great fun. I've really enjoyed Chicago and Boston in other, shorter trips too, and spent a decent amount of time in New York state (Newark specifically) for work. US is definitely the place I've spent most time other than the UK.

I really want to see more of Asia, post Covid. India is right at the top of my list, I have an itinerary planned already for whenever the time comes. I would like to tie it into a longer trip and also go to Sri Lanka, but I'm not sure how realistic any of that is any time soon now I have a little 'un.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Post pandemic trips on 20:10 - Jun 15 with 1686 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Still have an urge to get Cambodia, Laos and some more of Vietnam done off the bucket list before old age creeps up on me too much.
Been having a tentative look lately, could well be a goer 2022.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Post pandemic trips on 21:01 - Jun 15 with 1646 viewsEly_Blue

Maybe you could stay at home and help your kids with the homeschooling they appear to have been missing out on whilst the teachers have been sitting in the sun all year long

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Post pandemic trips on 21:06 - Jun 15 with 1634 viewsfooters

Post pandemic trips on 21:01 - Jun 15 by Ely_Blue

Maybe you could stay at home and help your kids with the homeschooling they appear to have been missing out on whilst the teachers have been sitting in the sun all year long

You've really been a bellend recently.

Teachers have a hard enough time educating and babysitting your kids year in, year out. So how about a little common decency and respect for those teaching your children?

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Post pandemic trips on 21:17 - Jun 15 with 1604 viewsEly_Blue

Post pandemic trips on 21:06 - Jun 15 by footers

Teachers have a hard enough time educating and babysitting your kids year in, year out. So how about a little common decency and respect for those teaching your children?

Not me that was complaining earlier that all that was happening was my kids getting an a4 pdf every week, try seeing what I was referencing before you call me a bellend!

But I won’t hold my breath waiting for an apology from you
[Post edited 15 Jun 2020 21:18]

Post pandemic trips on 21:24 - Jun 15 with 1580 viewsfooters

Post pandemic trips on 21:17 - Jun 15 by Ely_Blue

Not me that was complaining earlier that all that was happening was my kids getting an a4 pdf every week, try seeing what I was referencing before you call me a bellend!

But I won’t hold my breath waiting for an apology from you
[Post edited 15 Jun 2020 21:18]

Nah, you won't be receiving an apology. You unfairly labelled all teachers with the same tag.

You've been posting swivel-eyed sh1t for weeks, what sort of respect do you want?

But it's telling you're unable to teach your own kids. Wonder why.

Post pandemic trips on 21:30 - Jun 15 with 1550 viewssparks

I've actually been working very hard indeed, in the midst of all manner of chaos. For what its worth.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)

Login to get fewer ads

Post pandemic trips on 21:31 - Jun 15 with 1547 viewsWeWereZombies

My advice for Japan would be to get some of the language under your belt before you go and try and get your head around the three scripts (hiragana, katakana and kanji), there was more English in use than I expected when I went (for the first time) in January but not enough to make getting around a doddle. It can become wearing and tiring, Gaijin still experience the wandering around for two or three hours until you recognise something that guides you back to the route to the hotel. Smartphones lessen the impact of this but there are still times when you are out of range of a wi-fi service you have signed up to. I found that the free service from convenience stores like Seven-Eleven and Lawson was a godsend.

Poll: Luton or Dubai ?

Post pandemic trips on 21:31 - Jun 15 with 1542 viewsEly_Blue

Post pandemic trips on 21:24 - Jun 15 by footers

Nah, you won't be receiving an apology. You unfairly labelled all teachers with the same tag.

You've been posting swivel-eyed sh1t for weeks, what sort of respect do you want?

Boris Johnson - summer schools by itfc_bucks 14 Jun 2020 20:23
In his infinite wisdom, the PM is apparently in favour of kids going to summer classes.

Three questions on that:

1. Where do they plan to hold these classes, as schools are simply not big enough to accommodate socially distanced students, in that quantity?

2. Who is going to teach them, as teachers are only contracted for a certain number of days? Whether he likes it or not, teachers have worked their likes arrises off to get lessons out to their students, and will have used up those days.

3. Related to the previous, assuming he can find staff willing to work over the summer, they should do it pro bono - how will they fund this?

I’ll even link you to the post I’m referring to but don’t worry I’m sure like most of the rest of the board police on here you’ll ignore it because it doesn’t suit your narrative.

I posted a few opinions that you don’t agree with, I rarely post on here because of people such as yourself who think that everyone should conform to your opinion and anyone who dares to have or voice a differing opinion is wrong or is “posting swivel eyed sh1t”

Do please link me to the part or the post where I said I am unable to teach my own kids? (This part will be really interesting to watch you scrab around to find anything but I don’t expect a reply because it won’t fit your narrative)
[Post edited 15 Jun 2020 21:32]

Post pandemic trips on 21:32 - Jun 15 with 1545 viewssparks

Post pandemic trips on 21:24 - Jun 15 by footers

In fairness- I think you have misunderstood his post. It was an attack on me, rather than teachers, for my factual suggestion that some are just sending out worksheets once or twice a week.

His position seems to be in defence of the teachers, not criticising them.

Post pandemic trips on 21:33 - Jun 15 with 1527 viewsEly_Blue

Post pandemic trips on 21:32 - Jun 15 by sparks

In fairness- I think you have misunderstood his post. It was an attack on me, rather than teachers, for my factual suggestion that some are just sending out worksheets once or twice a week.

His position seems to be in defence of the teachers, not criticising them.

Wow we agree on something, yes it was in defence of teachers.

Post pandemic trips on 21:34 - Jun 15 with 1527 viewssparks

Post pandemic trips on 21:31 - Jun 15 by WeWereZombies

My advice for Japan would be to get some of the language under your belt before you go and try and get your head around the three scripts (hiragana, katakana and kanji), there was more English in use than I expected when I went (for the first time) in January but not enough to make getting around a doddle. It can become wearing and tiring, Gaijin still experience the wandering around for two or three hours until you recognise something that guides you back to the route to the hotel. Smartphones lessen the impact of this but there are still times when you are out of range of a wi-fi service you have signed up to. I found that the free service from convenience stores like Seven-Eleven and Lawson was a godsend.

I would undoubtedly be full-on Gaijin. My Japanese is limited to martial arts terms, bonsai terms, yes, thank you and goodbye...

It may be we can combine it with a trip to visit the brother in law in singapore which might be fun.
[Post edited 15 Jun 2020 21:35]

Post pandemic trips on 21:36 - Jun 15 with 1519 viewsfooters

Post pandemic trips on 21:31 - Jun 15 by Ely_Blue

Boris Johnson - summer schools by itfc_bucks 14 Jun 2020 20:23
In his infinite wisdom, the PM is apparently in favour of kids going to summer classes.

Three questions on that:

1. Where do they plan to hold these classes, as schools are simply not big enough to accommodate socially distanced students, in that quantity?

2. Who is going to teach them, as teachers are only contracted for a certain number of days? Whether he likes it or not, teachers have worked their likes arrises off to get lessons out to their students, and will have used up those days.

3. Related to the previous, assuming he can find staff willing to work over the summer, they should do it pro bono - how will they fund this?

I’ll even link you to the post I’m referring to but don’t worry I’m sure like most of the rest of the board police on here you’ll ignore it because it doesn’t suit your narrative.

I posted a few opinions that you don’t agree with, I rarely post on here because of people such as yourself who think that everyone should conform to your opinion and anyone who dares to have or voice a differing opinion is wrong or is “posting swivel eyed sh1t”

Do please link me to the part or the post where I said I am unable to teach my own kids? (This part will be really interesting to watch you scrab around to find anything but I don’t expect a reply because it won’t fit your narrative)
[Post edited 15 Jun 2020 21:32]

Yes, I read your nonsense there too. Well done.

"I rarely post on here because of people such as yourself who think that everyone should conform to your opinion and anyone who dares to have or voice a differing opinion is wrong or is “posting swivel eyed sh1t”

Try Facebook groups or the comment section. You'll get some uppies there :)

"Do please link me to the part or the post where I said I am unable to teach my own kids?"

The evidence provided seems to indicate you're an idiot. Hope that helps.

Post pandemic trips on 21:42 - Jun 15 with 1502 viewsWeWereZombies

Post pandemic trips on 21:34 - Jun 15 by sparks

I would undoubtedly be full-on Gaijin. My Japanese is limited to martial arts terms, bonsai terms, yes, thank you and goodbye...

It may be we can combine it with a trip to visit the brother in law in singapore which might be fun.

Only been to Singapore once and expected to hate it because of the reputation for overbearing authority. Instead I found a city where Buddhists, Muslims, Hindu and Christians all appear to live in harmony - and are encouraged to go and visit each others places of worship so that they know about their fellow citizens. Also a much greener city than I expected. I found their national museum fascinating too.

Post pandemic trips on 21:44 - Jun 15 with 1500 viewsEly_Blue

Post pandemic trips on 21:36 - Jun 15 by footers

Yes, I read your nonsense there too. Well done.

"I rarely post on here because of people such as yourself who think that everyone should conform to your opinion and anyone who dares to have or voice a differing opinion is wrong or is “posting swivel eyed sh1t”

Try Facebook groups or the comment section. You'll get some uppies there :)

"Do please link me to the part or the post where I said I am unable to teach my own kids?"

The evidence provided seems to indicate you're an idiot. Hope that helps.

Well do tell me what was nonsense? I was defending the schools and teachers because people have no idea of what goes on behind the scenes, but were making assumptions, ill not go over it again here but you firstly having a go at me because you thought I was having a go at teachers and now that you have discovered that it was the opposite you still think that I am idiot.

Unfortunately sir the last couple of replies to me on this thread have proved that it is indeed yourself that is making yourself look like an idiot.

Do I care for your opinion, nah not really, do I want to post here to “get uppies” nah not really.

You’ll not bully me out of posting and the fact that you have to resort to calling me an idiot and a bellend rather than backing up your accusations about me and not being able to teach my kids tells me all I need to know about you.

Post pandemic trips on 21:51 - Jun 15 with 1472 viewssparks

Post pandemic trips on 21:44 - Jun 15 by Ely_Blue

Well do tell me what was nonsense? I was defending the schools and teachers because people have no idea of what goes on behind the scenes, but were making assumptions, ill not go over it again here but you firstly having a go at me because you thought I was having a go at teachers and now that you have discovered that it was the opposite you still think that I am idiot.

Unfortunately sir the last couple of replies to me on this thread have proved that it is indeed yourself that is making yourself look like an idiot.

Do I care for your opinion, nah not really, do I want to post here to “get uppies” nah not really.

You’ll not bully me out of posting and the fact that you have to resort to calling me an idiot and a bellend rather than backing up your accusations about me and not being able to teach my kids tells me all I need to know about you.

This is a thread about post covid trips. Its supposed to be positive and inspiring not bitchy. Maybe take it elsewhere?

Post pandemic trips on 21:53 - Jun 15 with 1468 viewsTractorWood

I went to Japan for 10 days without a word of Japanese and found it pretty easy. People are incredibly helpful and go out of their way to help you if you look lost. It's not that chaotic, a very structured form of busy. As someone says above you have to make sure you have all the relevant apps and regular data. I'm pretty sure Google maps doesn't work there.

Singapore is fun. I've spent a lot of time there working. You could probably get everything done in 3/4 days. Pulau Ubin is my biggest recommendation.

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Post pandemic trips on 21:58 - Jun 15 with 1455 viewseastangliaisblue

If you're going to Japan, i suggest a few days in Kyoto. If you didn't know it's the old capital. It was probably my favourite place in Japan.

It can be quite a difficult country to navigate, with the language barrier. The people are fantastic though. Take a lot of money, you'll need it!
Post pandemic trips on 22:16 - Jun 15 with 1424 viewsWeWereZombies

Post pandemic trips on 21:58 - Jun 15 by eastangliaisblue

If you're going to Japan, i suggest a few days in Kyoto. If you didn't know it's the old capital. It was probably my favourite place in Japan.

It can be quite a difficult country to navigate, with the language barrier. The people are fantastic though. Take a lot of money, you'll need it!

No idea how things will be post Covid-19 but I found Japan very affordable. There again I went off season, because of dietary requirements I do a lot of self catering and I do not drink that much. Kyoto was the main reason I went but it is possible to get templed out. My final three nights were spent in a hotel that was new and trying to establish itself, right in the centre of the Gion old town district so very convenient for things like the Philosopher's Walk and all the temples on the east side of the city but also close enough for a not too arduous walk to Nishi market. So, large bedroom, kitchenette, bathroom, loo with a washing machine beside and a lobby all for twenty five quid a night. Managed to do the whole thirty one day trip for £2350.

Post pandemic trips on 22:52 - Jun 15 with 1373 viewsAlanRetentive

I intend to take the Puch Maxi N up to a little guest house in Thorpeness run by a dear old friend of Mother, as usual. I always enjoy opening her up along the B1353, although I shall be careful to warm her up well first, as she's spent rather a long time in the shed of late, and is no longer the carefree ride she used to be.

*** Puch Maxi N Owners Club, Social Distancing Officer (SoDOff) and Undersecretary for The Verification of Vaccinations And Testing (UTVVAT) 2021 ***

Post pandemic trips on 22:57 - Jun 15 with 1361 viewsSitfcB

Post pandemic trips on 21:06 - Jun 15 by footers

Recently?

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Post pandemic trips on 23:14 - Jun 15 with 1332 viewsBlueBadger

Post pandemic trips on 22:52 - Jun 15 by AlanRetentive

I intend to take the Puch Maxi N up to a little guest house in Thorpeness run by a dear old friend of Mother, as usual. I always enjoy opening her up along the B1353, although I shall be careful to warm her up well first, as she's spent rather a long time in the shed of late, and is no longer the carefree ride she used to be.

And what about the bike?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Post pandemic trips on 23:33 - Jun 15 with 1314 viewsEly_Blue

Post pandemic trips on 22:57 - Jun 15 by SitfcB

Recently?

Ooh look here come the rest of the gang

Post pandemic trips on 01:04 - Jun 16 with 1236 viewsBlueBadger

Weird flex bro.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024