Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Salisbury poisonings on BBC 21:50 - Jun 15 with 1546 viewssparks

Is it just me, or should we, as a nation... as the public... and as viewers, be kicking up a big fuss on this increasing trend of making dramas of contemporary happenings?

Seems to me to be massively distasteful and objectionable, to make a drama about things that have happened (and massively impacted on) the lives of people who are still around.

See also- dramas about the royals, Who wants to be a millionaire, and many others, which I am struggling to bring to mind at the moment. It feels utterly wrong to dramatise other people's lives without their say so. To put words in their mouths, and to put a programme ont he telly that puts their own lives right in their faces as viewers, with seemingly no concern as to whether they will be impacted by it.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Salisbury poisonings on BBC on 21:53 - Jun 15 with 1500 viewsGlasgowBlue

My Mrs saw the trailer and said it’s too soon.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Salisbury poisonings on BBC on 21:56 - Jun 15 with 1487 viewssparks

Salisbury poisonings on BBC on 21:53 - Jun 15 by GlasgowBlue

My Mrs saw the trailer and said it’s too soon.

I think that whilst victims are still alive - or children can watch film of their parents saying thigns they didnt really say (or perhaps worse- things they DID say)... its always going to be too soon.

I am not clear why people havent acted on these things and asserted defamation tbh.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Salisbury poisonings on BBC on 00:53 - Jun 16 with 1287 viewsjeera

I felt that way when a drama was released about the Shannon Mathews incident.

She was only a child when the family members set up the fake abduction and was still only a teenager when the drama came out.

How potentially damaging could that be for that kid - like she hadn't suffered enough the first time with the publicity.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Salisbury poisonings on BBC on 01:30 - Jun 16 with 1251 viewsLankHenners

I’m not sure your last point is applicable to every programme based on real events and wouldn’t go as far to say it’s “massively distasteful and objectionable” but generally agree, and it seems a bit lazy to make a drama about something that was in the news only a couple of years ago. Exceptions granted for things like Sitting In Limbo which have an important message to carry (although it’s unfortunate that it takes TV/film dramas to get people to think about something for five minutes).

Real life events will always be interesting because they’re, well, real, but the documentary will always be the superior story-telling format when it comes to these things as you get told the story by the people involved rather than acted out with parts of it exaggerated or altered to force a sense of tension or drama.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Salisbury poisonings on BBC on 08:26 - Jun 16 with 1095 viewsBluefish

[Post edited 16 Jun 2020 8:28]

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Salisbury poisonings on BBC on 11:19 - Jun 16 with 937 viewsRyorry

Haven't seen it, but as with many other situations in life, it seems to be beyond some people to apply the maxim "how would I feel if it were me?" before speaking/writing/behaving towards others in various inconsiderate/uncaring ways.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Salisbury poisonings on BBC on 11:47 - Jun 16 with 887 viewsGeoffSentence

You might find this Grauniad article about writing factual dramas interesting

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/jun/15/sometimes-you-have-to-take-

It covers the aspects of truth and trust.

Jimmy McGovern, who has written a drama about a racist murder that is to be shown soon, and also a drama about Hillsborough, says that he only writes them when he has been invited to by the people involved in the situation.

The drama about the Windrush Scandal, Sitting In Limbo, that was on recently was written by Anthony Bryan's half brother, so there was already a degree of trust between the main character and the writer.

So it seems that from a writer's perspective they are not straightforward things to produce and given that they need information from the people involved they have to get permission and agreement if they want to write them well.

Personally I love these true life stories, and can't wait for 'Evidence! The true story of Bully's encounter with a Social Distancing regulation breaker ' hitting the screens.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Salisbury poisonings on BBC on 12:05 - Jun 16 with 854 viewsRyorry

Salisbury poisonings on BBC on 11:47 - Jun 16 by GeoffSentence

You might find this Grauniad article about writing factual dramas interesting

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2020/jun/15/sometimes-you-have-to-take-

It covers the aspects of truth and trust.

Jimmy McGovern, who has written a drama about a racist murder that is to be shown soon, and also a drama about Hillsborough, says that he only writes them when he has been invited to by the people involved in the situation.

The drama about the Windrush Scandal, Sitting In Limbo, that was on recently was written by Anthony Bryan's half brother, so there was already a degree of trust between the main character and the writer.

So it seems that from a writer's perspective they are not straightforward things to produce and given that they need information from the people involved they have to get permission and agreement if they want to write them well.

Personally I love these true life stories, and can't wait for 'Evidence! The true story of Bully's encounter with a Social Distancing regulation breaker ' hitting the screens.

Yes, makes all the difference if those involved have freely given their permission.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Login to get fewer ads

Salisbury poisonings on BBC on 12:28 - Jun 16 with 816 viewsFenboyBlue

I think I had similar thoughts recently when I watched Hotel Mumbai. The violence was graphic. Probably realistic but just horrible to watch. And I started to think what's the point of re-enacting recent traumatic history when we've already been exposed to it at length on the news.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024