Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Have we touched on Linfield's new kit yet? 08:42 - Jun 16 with 1661 viewsuefacup81

So Linfield (an historically Protestant club) released their new kits last week, one of which bore a striking resemblance to the colours of a Protestant paramilitary/terrorist organisation:

Main Picture: The UVF Flag
Inset: Linfield's 2020/21 shirt

Umbro, despite having their branding emblazoned all over the kit, have already distanced themselves from it and made a public apology, saying that they will not be promoting the shirt.

Linfield, on the other hand, have doubled down stating:

"For the avoidance of all doubt, the design is of a football kit for a football club and any similarity/likeness/resemblance with any other design used by any other entity is totally coincidental and entirely unintentional.

"Any allegation or inference to the contrary is robustly and vigorously rejected by this club which prides itself on being inclusive, open to all and representative of all."

Their Chairman has even gone as far as to say:

"Is this where we are as a society when an elected MP thinks that ordinary every day colours can be owned or monopolised by a paramilitary organisation? [...] There will be no rethink."

Chinny chin chin.
[Post edited 16 Jun 2020 8:43]

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Have we touched on Linfield's new kit yet? on 08:48 - Jun 16 with 1592 viewsStokieBlue

That's a pretty pathetic response from the chairman given the number of alternative available colours is virtually infinite and they just happened to settle on those ones.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Have we touched on Linfield's new kit yet? on 08:50 - Jun 16 with 1570 viewsPendejo

Regardless of the predominant colour... Simply having an Orange sash makes a mockery of the "coincidence" statement.

As a USP, I'm sure the shirt will sell loads to non Linfield fans and all publicity is good publicity....

Still as long as we're all in it together
[Post edited 16 Jun 2020 9:12]

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Have we touched on Linfield's new kit yet? on 08:52 - Jun 16 with 1555 viewsuefacup81

Have we touched on Linfield's new kit yet? on 08:48 - Jun 16 by StokieBlue

That's a pretty pathetic response from the chairman given the number of alternative available colours is virtually infinite and they just happened to settle on those ones.

SB

He's got a very small point - nobody's mouthing off about how they now look like a Hazelnut Whirl from a tub of Roses... (removes tongue from cheek)

That said, he's all but admitted that they knew they were adopting the colours of the UVF and either didn't care, or actively continued with the endeavour.
[Post edited 16 Jun 2020 8:55]

Have we touched on Linfield's new kit yet? on 08:53 - Jun 16 with 1534 viewsuefacup81

Have we touched on Linfield's new kit yet? on 08:50 - Jun 16 by Pendejo

Regardless of the predominant colour... Simply having an Orange sash makes a mockery of the "coincidence" statement.

As a USP, I'm sure the shirt will sell loads to non Linfield fans and all publicity is good publicity....

Still as long as we're all in it together
[Post edited 16 Jun 2020 9:12]

The thought did cross my mind as well.

That kit will no doubt fly off the pegs to militant Protestants the world over. Indeed, the adult sizes have already sold out.

Have we touched on Linfield's new kit yet? on 08:54 - Jun 16 with 1531 viewsStokieBlue

Have we touched on Linfield's new kit yet? on 08:52 - Jun 16 by uefacup81

He's got a very small point - nobody's mouthing off about how they now look like a Hazelnut Whirl from a tub of Roses... (removes tongue from cheek)

That said, he's all but admitted that they knew they were adopting the colours of the UVF and either didn't care, or actively continued with the endeavour.
[Post edited 16 Jun 2020 8:55]

He doesn't really have a point, being correlated to a terrorist organisation which happens to be based around the religion of your fans is far more unlikely that being correlated to any other random item like a chocolate unless it's by design.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Have we touched on Linfield's new kit yet? on 08:55 - Jun 16 with 1527 viewsSteve_M

Ah, I saw something about it yesterday but not the reason it was controversial. It's a bit like Rangers' orange kit a few years back which was definitely inspired by Dutch players and absolutely nothing else - albeit this is even less plausible.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Have we touched on Linfield's new kit yet? on 08:55 - Jun 16 with 1514 viewsuefacup81

Have we touched on Linfield's new kit yet? on 08:54 - Jun 16 by StokieBlue

He doesn't really have a point, being correlated to a terrorist organisation which happens to be based around the religion of your fans is far more unlikely that being correlated to any other random item like a chocolate unless it's by design.

SB

Sorry - poorly put. That first bit was meant to be incredibly tongue in cheek!

Have we touched on Linfield's new kit yet? on 10:19 - Jun 16 with 1307 viewsKeno

Have we touched on Linfield's new kit yet? on 08:55 - Jun 16 by uefacup81

Sorry - poorly put. That first bit was meant to be incredibly tongue in cheek!

I'm there is nothing in it

The away is different, it has a nice paisley pattern

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Login to get fewer ads

Have we touched on Linfield's new kit yet? on 10:40 - Jun 16 with 1259 viewsuefacup81

Have we touched on Linfield's new kit yet? on 10:19 - Jun 16 by Keno

I'm there is nothing in it

The away is different, it has a nice paisley pattern

I understand their new sponsor is to be "diepopedie.ie" but that's merely German for "The Pope The".

Have we touched on Linfield's new kit yet? on 10:46 - Jun 16 with 1223 viewsKeno

Have we touched on Linfield's new kit yet? on 10:40 - Jun 16 by uefacup81

I understand their new sponsor is to be "diepopedie.ie" but that's merely German for "The Pope The".

I heard a senior in Nissans US had been in contact to arrange a special sponsorship deal

https://usa.nissannews.com/en-US/releases/william-orange

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Have we touched on Linfield's new kit yet? on 13:00 - Jun 16 with 1044 viewshampstead_blue

Have we touched on Linfield's new kit yet? on 08:48 - Jun 16 by StokieBlue

SB

I shall echo your thoughts.
There is enough simmering anger and resentment which doesn't need any spark.

Poor show from Linfield.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024