Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
TWTD Hive Mind appropriateness question? help welcome 23:39 - Jun 16 with 1209 viewsunstableblue

On a family Whatsapp - so that's a mix of blokes, ladies, kids, teenagers - there is a 70+ year old relation who's been sending occasional inappropriate messages through the lock down (so form), mostly harmless though, some just inane, some very sexist for 2020. Yesterday he sent a picture of the Churchill statue enclosed in its barrier with a voice bubble saying 'I can't breathe'.

I think the family member just has no filter, and also perhaps doesn't understand social media, but its a really inappropriate image, which some have taken REAL offence too. And its all got a bit sour. Anger. Fracturing of the group. And from him a sort of denial that its inappropriate.

Any views or advice? That is a really bad image to post isn't it? (Note: I do personally think some of the banning of comedy and certain statue plans - is not constructive and a a denial of history)
Thanks

EDIT: I should state I set up the group, and in general its been a positive force
[Post edited 16 Jun 2020 23:45]

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

TWTD Hive Mind appropriateness question? help welcome on 00:23 - Jun 17 with 1129 viewsfactual_blue

Could you speak to him about this? Diplomatically tell him he's upset other family members, without meaning to. Suggest that if there's anything he'd like to share that he finds funny he could perhaps share it with you first and you could give him your take on it?

Or you could just all block him on Whatsapp.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

TWTD Hive Mind appropriateness question? help welcome on 00:54 - Jun 17 with 1105 viewsWe_Go_Again

It sounds as if he thinks as it's a family group no one will get upset because everyone knows him. I'm afraid he is from a generation that finds it difficult to adapt to what is now considered acceptable and the no filter is a badge he wears with a certain amount of pride and that is unlikely to change. You could take away his ability to post and allow him read only access. Good luck.
TWTD Hive Mind appropriateness question? help welcome on 07:04 - Jun 17 with 979 viewsKropotkin123

Talk to him. Tell him it isn't appropriate for the group. Clearly outline what posts cross the line. Inform him of the consequences of continuing to post inappropriate content.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

TWTD Hive Mind appropriateness question? help welcome on 07:14 - Jun 17 with 968 viewsjeera

"... a picture of the Churchill statue enclosed in its barrier with a voice bubble saying 'I can't breathe'."

I'd ask him how the effing hell he could think that's funny and block him from all future contact.

Maybe stick a phone call in to tell him he's a ****.

Or you could listen to the other advice so far.
[Post edited 17 Jun 2020 7:15]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

TWTD Hive Mind appropriateness question? help welcome on 07:50 - Jun 17 with 912 viewsbluelagos

TWTD Hive Mind appropriateness question? help welcome on 07:14 - Jun 17 by jeera

"... a picture of the Churchill statue enclosed in its barrier with a voice bubble saying 'I can't breathe'."

I'd ask him how the effing hell he could think that's funny and block him from all future contact.

Maybe stick a phone call in to tell him he's a ****.

Or you could listen to the other advice so far.
[Post edited 17 Jun 2020 7:15]

BLM has brought out the worst in some people. Judge each one on their merits but you don't change attitudes by telling someone he's a ****. Although sometimes it's good for the soul :-)

When teaching we were told challenge the behaviour not the person. Label that as unacceptable and people might learn. At 70 though, suspect the guy is somewhat stuck in his ways.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

TWTD Hive Mind appropriateness question? help welcome on 08:11 - Jun 17 with 867 viewsOldsmoker

There's a difference between social media where you remain relatively anonymous (TWTD) and a family and friends Whatsapp group.
They know where you live.

I get emails from friends that are totally inappropriate in decent society but they know that it's my type of dark humour and would appeal to me. The pics and gifs I got just after Thatchers death would have had the Daily Mail calling for the death penalty.

I suggest you remind your relative that there's a line and he shouldn't cross it on the group pages. Tell him to post it where it belongs.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

TWTD Hive Mind appropriateness question? help welcome on 09:12 - Jun 17 with 806 viewsDarth_Koont

Probably shows the challenge with free and easy communication tools that highlight how out of step three or four generations can be. Or indeed how people are different despite sharing the last surname/being all part of the same family.

It's always been thus but these were potential conflict areas that might come up at Christmas if at all. Now these groups are going to reflect what's on people's minds especially around news stories.

I don't think there are any easy answers. I've warned my Dad that he and his wife are way out of step with me on a few major issues now (which we can handle). But a real shame that they're actually distancing themselves from my kids who just can't relate to how that generation was brought up with certain opinions about race, women, sexuality, politics and history as normal.

A discussion around why there should be a statue of a slave trader seems wrong and hurtful to my daughters because it is wrong and hurtful. Not sure if the warning sank in but it was important to say it and maybe they'll tread more carefully now. At least if they want to make it a discussion and a learning experience then they need to listen more.

Pronouns: He/Him

TWTD Hive Mind appropriateness question? help welcome on 09:44 - Jun 17 with 773 viewsLankHenners

As others have said, have a quiet word with him and tell him he's upsetting others.

In an extended family Whatsapp group an uncle posted a rather distasteful image demeaning BLM protesters which was met with a tumbleweed which I guess was fortunate as it could have sparked a row but he hasn't posted anything since so maybe one of his immediate family told him off.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

Login to get fewer ads

TWTD Hive Mind appropriateness question? help welcome on 09:48 - Jun 17 with 753 viewsfooters

Call him a doddery, useless old cnt and if he gets upset, tell him it's only bantz.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

TWTD Hive Mind appropriateness question? help welcome on 09:54 - Jun 17 with 731 viewsPinewoodblue

You set up the group, you presumably invited him to join, you were already aware that he was likely to step out of line.

You have a decision to make. May I make a suggestion, which is likely to upset a few, learn to be more tolerant.

2023 year of destiny
Poll: Dickhead "Noun" a stupid, irritating, or ridiculous man.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024