Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Willie Thorne RIP 09:00 - Jun 17 with 1924 viewshoppy

Very sad news that he died in the early hours of this morning after suffering septic shock

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Willie Thorne RIP on 09:13 - Jun 17 with 1850 viewsITFC_Forever

That is awful news.

I met him at a corporate Golf Day about 8 years ago, and he was the evening after-dinner speaker.
Our four-ball was a player short, so the organisers slotted him in with us. I played even worse than usual for the first couple of holes and you could see him thinking "this is going to be a long day".
I managed to find form after that and was ok, and throughout the remaining 25 holes (we had 9 in the morning and 18 in the afternoon), he was an absolute gent. Full of stories about his career, football etc, and a genuinely nice, funny guy.
He did tell us that he hadn't touched a snooker cue for a number of years as he got the yips and simply couldn't play, and that he'd lost most of his money through gambling..... then lo and behold, two holes later, he whipped out a pocket radio from his golf bag to catch some horse race or other!

When dinner came and went, and he got up to give his after-dinner speech, he went out of his way to thank us for including him in our four-ball and making him feel welcome.

He signed my scorecard, I've still got it somewhere.

RIP Willie, and thank-you for a fantastic day.

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Willie Thorne RIP on 09:23 - Jun 17 with 1810 viewsGlasgowBlue

Very sad. He’s had an awful time of it over the last few months. R.I.P.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Willie Thorne RIP on 09:38 - Jun 17 with 1773 viewsChrisd

Really sad to read this story this morning.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Willie Thorne RIP on 09:39 - Jun 17 with 1765 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

V sad. Had read about his troubles recently.

Always seemed like a through nice guy.

RIP.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Willie Thorne RIP on 11:05 - Jun 17 with 1599 viewsBogblue

sad to hear this, RIP Willie
Willie Thorne RIP on 12:00 - Jun 17 with 1548 viewsclive_baker

Willie Thorne RIP on 09:13 - Jun 17 by ITFC_Forever

That is awful news.

I met him at a corporate Golf Day about 8 years ago, and he was the evening after-dinner speaker.
Our four-ball was a player short, so the organisers slotted him in with us. I played even worse than usual for the first couple of holes and you could see him thinking "this is going to be a long day".
I managed to find form after that and was ok, and throughout the remaining 25 holes (we had 9 in the morning and 18 in the afternoon), he was an absolute gent. Full of stories about his career, football etc, and a genuinely nice, funny guy.
He did tell us that he hadn't touched a snooker cue for a number of years as he got the yips and simply couldn't play, and that he'd lost most of his money through gambling..... then lo and behold, two holes later, he whipped out a pocket radio from his golf bag to catch some horse race or other!

When dinner came and went, and he got up to give his after-dinner speech, he went out of his way to thank us for including him in our four-ball and making him feel welcome.

Love it. Thanks for sharing that.

Indeed, RIP Willie, I'll always associate his soothing Leicester accent with the snooker. He was before my time as a player but thoroughly enjoyed his commentary.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Willie Thorne RIP on 12:54 - Jun 17 with 1489 viewsRadlett_blue

Willie Thorne RIP on 09:13 - Jun 17 by ITFC_Forever

That is awful news.

I think he was a regular on the celebrity golf circuit; he played in 1 event in which I participated a few years ago. Although I didn't meet him, those who played with him had nothing but praise for him & I think he was a useful golfer as well.
I'm surprised a player of his ability didn't win more tournaments, but although a supreme break builder, maybe his safety wasn't quite up to scratch.. I've never forgotten how he somehow lost the 1985 UK Championship to Steve Davis after leading 13-8 & then missing a straightforward blue off its spot to go 14-8 ahead.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Willie Thorne RIP on 12:55 - Jun 17 with 1482 viewsuefacup81

Aye, he'll be a bad miss.

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Login to get fewer ads

Willie Thorne RIP on 13:16 - Jun 17 with 1466 viewsPendejo

Willie Thorne RIP on 12:54 - Jun 17 by Radlett_blue

I think he was a regular on the celebrity golf circuit; he played in 1 event in which I participated a few years ago. Although I didn't meet him, those who played with him had nothing but praise for him & I think he was a useful golfer as well.
I'm surprised a player of his ability didn't win more tournaments, but although a supreme break builder, maybe his safety wasn't quite up to scratch.. I've never forgotten how he somehow lost the 1985 UK Championship to Steve Davis after leading 13-8 & then missing a straightforward blue off its spot to go 14-8 ahead.

GRE sports club used to have top snooker players in for events, I believe Thorne, Virgo and Higgins were the ones who were too of the list to be re-invited.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Willie Thorne RIP on 13:55 - Jun 17 with 1423 viewsJamestownPrince

Was never lucky enough to meet him, despiteWillie being very unwell, my Dad's half cousin who is a Comedian has been hosting a "weekly chat from his home" on Facebook - Willie was posting messages to Pat concerned about Pat and his family, despite being very ill himself -

Luckily Pat's good friend, Mr Christopher Sutton has been doing Radio 5's "606" with Ally B B, so he didn't join in!!
Willie Thorne RIP on 14:01 - Jun 17 with 1414 viewsBloomBlue

Very sad and still young in real terms.
Another one forms the triangle of life
Willie Thorne RIP on 16:09 - Jun 17 with 1326 viewsjeera

Saw on the BBC site last night that he was in hospital.

It's sad to see today that he didn't make it.

No age either really.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Willie Thorne RIP on 16:21 - Jun 17 with 1305 viewsBABLUE

So very sad.

I spent many great afternoons and evenings in Willie Thorne's snooker club in Leicester.

A lovely family run place, with his brother Malcolm shouldering much of the work and his mum often making the food in the kitchen.

He was often to be found in the club and bar and was a lovely funny man.

RIP Willie
Willie Thorne RIP on 22:19 - Jun 17 with 1186 viewsgainsboroughblue

He was probably my favourite player back in the day. Not quite the charisma of a White or Higgins, or successful as Davis or Hendry, but he was a solid break builder who played at a good tempo and always played in the right spirit, with a smile.

Seemed a lovely guy. Always remember his appearance on Fantasy League where he was wonderfully self-effacing.

[Post edited 17 Jun 2020 22:24]

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Willie Thorne RIP on 10:02 - Jun 18 with 1073 viewsgordon

Here's a nice 'Small Talk' interview with WT (from 2004!).

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2004/apr/23/smalltalk.sportinterviews
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024