Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Dominic raab on taking a knee 10:25 - Jun 18 with 6059 viewsDubtractor

We are governed by some of the scummiest people imaginable.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 10:29 - Jun 18 with 2683 viewsDanTheMan

I love it when people are confidently wrong.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 10:34 - Jun 18 with 2661 viewsSteve_M

This was the man who hadn't realised the importance of the English Channel for trade, whilst he was Brexit Secretary.

He hasn't read the Russia Report either, something that should perhaps be necessary given he is the Foreign Secretary.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 10:34 - Jun 18 with 2647 viewstractordownsouth

Just another gaffe to add to his long list of greatest hits

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 10:37 - Jun 18 with 2634 viewsmrshallisfit

The present Tory administration are a hazy crazy mix of stupidity, incompetence and nastiness. The Venn Diagram intersection of that is Priti Patel. Oh well. That is what the people voted for.
Dominic raab on taking a knee on 10:49 - Jun 18 with 2561 viewsHerbivore

He's really, really, really thick. Like painfully thick. In any other environment he'd be the person everyone rips the piss out of and plays practical jokes on without him realising what's happening. Somehow this utter goon is Foreign Secretary. FML.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 10:54 - Jun 18 with 2545 viewsDarth_Koont

He's as thick as mince. As well as being an offensive turd.

Amazingly he's not even our worst Foreign Minister yet.

Pronouns: He/Him

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 10:59 - Jun 18 with 2531 viewsSteve_M

To add to the thread, Rafael Behr's Guardian piece yesterday was good - Incompetence is a feature of this government.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jun/17/incompetence-boris-johnson

"Instead of performing non-essential surgery on an exhausted government machine, the prime minister might more usefully bolster the UK’s international reputation by competently handling a public health emergency and incipient economic crisis"

Well, quite.

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 10:59 - Jun 18 with 2524 viewstractordownsouth

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 10:54 - Jun 18 by Darth_Koont

He's as thick as mince. As well as being an offensive turd.

Amazingly he's not even our worst Foreign Minister yet.

It says something about the current lot that I actually long for the days where Jeremy Hunt was our global representative

Login to get fewer ads

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 11:02 - Jun 18 with 2511 viewsSomethingBlue

Unfortunately we are now in a place where a significant swathe of this country actively celebrates — and is actively urged to celebrate — ignorance and bigotry so this plays beautifully.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 11:12 - Jun 18 with 2456 viewssparks

I sort of see where he comes from- solely in that the act of kneeling is indeed a signal of deference and I can see why doing it makes some people uncomfortable. Though that is perhaps precisely what makes it a powerful gesture.

For him to have not even bothered to find out about it, or to have (by just watching current affairs occasionally) already gained that knowledge is just extraordinary. He seems to think that it is about kneeling to black people?

"I take the knee for two people; the Queen and the Mrs when I asked her to marry me." What an absolutely despicable man. Even if he can put together good reasons for not doing it (which is possible), to treat it with such disdain is disgusting in the present climate.

This ought to run and run in the media....

On a similar note, I heard an objectionable comment on TS this morning. Some prat from "Spiked" (whatever that is) said that there was such pressure- we would never know if people kneeling last night actually agreed with it. They could not failt do do it because they would be vilified and probably have their careers ended.

He was probably right on that- but what he is doing is trying to cast doubt on the unity of agreement between the players on that pitch last night, in circumstances where there is absolutely no good reason to doubt it.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 11:19 - Jun 18 with 2414 viewstractordownsouth

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 11:12 - Jun 18 by sparks

I sort of see where he comes from- solely in that the act of kneeling is indeed a signal of deference and I can see why doing it makes some people uncomfortable. Though that is perhaps precisely what makes it a powerful gesture.

For him to have not even bothered to find out about it, or to have (by just watching current affairs occasionally) already gained that knowledge is just extraordinary. He seems to think that it is about kneeling to black people?

"I take the knee for two people; the Queen and the Mrs when I asked her to marry me." What an absolutely despicable man. Even if he can put together good reasons for not doing it (which is possible), to treat it with such disdain is disgusting in the present climate.

On a similar note, I heard an objectionable comment on TS this morning. Some prat from "Spiked" (whatever that is) said that there was such pressure- we would never know if people kneeling last night actually agreed with it. They could not failt do do it because they would be vilified and probably have their careers ended.

He was probably right on that- but what he is doing is trying to cast doubt on the unity of agreement between the players on that pitch last night, in circumstances where there is absolutely no good reason to doubt it.

Was it Brendan O'Neill from Spiked? The one who said Saville victims should shut up and that apparently anyone who hates Priti Patel does so because she's an immigrant, even though she was born here

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 11:34 - Jun 18 with 2343 viewsHerbivore

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 11:19 - Jun 18 by tractordownsouth

Was it Brendan O'Neill from Spiked? The one who said Saville victims should shut up and that apparently anyone who hates Priti Patel does so because she's an immigrant, even though she was born here

Brendan O'Neill is a professional dickhead. His sole purpose is to be contrarian. He was a communist back when Labour were in power and now he's become some far right libertarian. He basically takes a position of opposing the current status quo by adopting a more extreme version of their position. He's also very ugly and probably has a small cock, two factors which I imagine go a long way to explaining the rest of his behaviour. He's also not half as clever as he seems to think he is, he only has a platform because he's prepared to espouse views that even many on the right find appalling.

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 11:43 - Jun 18 with 2301 viewsclive_baker

It's crazy how anti-detail this government appear to be. In any other organisation there's no way these clowns would find their way to the top.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 11:45 - Jun 18 with 2296 viewsSteve_M

Spiked is the successor to Living Marxism which had to close after ITN sued it for libel for denying the Bosnian genocide. The former members of the Revolutionary Communist Party have carved out far too great a presence in media and politics at the moment. Gobsh1te contrarians with the most predictable of hot takes.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2020 11:45]

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 11:46 - Jun 18 with 2289 viewsGuthrum

Except that "taking a knee" does not derive from kneeling as an act of deference. It's from American Football where it is an action to deliberately stop play (through a part of the body other than feet or hands contacting the ground). Usually seen when receiving a kick-off (whereupon the ball is placed at a set distance) or to waste time at the end of a game by a team in the lead.

Hence why Kaepernick adopted it instead of standing for the anthem.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 11:49 - Jun 18 with 2266 viewstractordownsouth

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 11:34 - Jun 18 by Herbivore

Brendan O'Neill is a professional dickhead. His sole purpose is to be contrarian. He was a communist back when Labour were in power and now he's become some far right libertarian. He basically takes a position of opposing the current status quo by adopting a more extreme version of their position. He's also very ugly and probably has a small cock, two factors which I imagine go a long way to explaining the rest of his behaviour. He's also not half as clever as he seems to think he is, he only has a platform because he's prepared to espouse views that even many on the right find appalling.

A bit like Darren Grimes, who was a Lib Dem in 2015 but is now the hardest of hard Brexiteers

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 11:58 - Jun 18 with 2223 viewsGlasgowBlue

That somebody as thick and clueless as Raab holds one of the three great offices of state is an utter embarrassment.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:03 - Jun 18 with 2191 viewsDarth_Koont

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 11:34 - Jun 18 by Herbivore

Munira Muzira made exactly the same journey as O'Neill.

And Boris chose her to head up the new race inequality commission - with racism something she's on record as saying is a bit of an exaggeration and calling it out makes things worse.

Fecking loons the lot of them.

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:04 - Jun 18 with 2185 viewsDarth_Koont

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 11:46 - Jun 18 by Guthrum

Except that "taking a knee" does not derive from kneeling as an act of deference. It's from American Football where it is an action to deliberately stop play (through a part of the body other than feet or hands contacting the ground). Usually seen when receiving a kick-off (whereupon the ball is placed at a set distance) or to waste time at the end of a game by a team in the lead.

And you also take a knee as part of a team.

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:06 - Jun 18 with 2177 viewsHerbivore

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 11:49 - Jun 18 by tractordownsouth

A bit like Darren Grimes, who was a Lib Dem in 2015 but is now the hardest of hard Brexiteers

I don't know why mainstream media give air to the likes of Grimes and O'Neill. They're not very bright, they're just willing to say controversial things. That Tom Harwood is another, he's such a parody posh Tory boy with not much between the ears and he's basically a blogger, but he's treated like a serious journalist by the Beeb in particular. No wonder our politics and political discourse are in such a state.

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:06 - Jun 18 with 2178 viewsKeno

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 11:58 - Jun 18 by GlasgowBlue

That somebody as thick and clueless as Raab holds one of the three great offices of state is an utter embarrassment.

and lets not this cabinet minister is actually the tribute act for a comedy character

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:12 - Jun 18 with 2143 viewsDarth_Koont

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:06 - Jun 18 by Herbivore

I don't know why mainstream media give air to the likes of Grimes and O'Neill. They're not very bright, they're just willing to say controversial things. That Tom Harwood is another, he's such a parody posh Tory boy with not much between the ears and he's basically a blogger, but he's treated like a serious journalist by the Beeb in particular. No wonder our politics and political discourse are in such a state.

Their appearances on the BBC and elsewhere are the clearest sign that the idiots have won.

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:22 - Jun 18 with 2100 viewssparks

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 11:46 - Jun 18 by Guthrum

Yes- that was my point. Though the action can still feel like deference, I imagine.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:24 - Jun 18 with 2090 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I'll get slaughtered for this as usual. But this shows why taking to a knee is a good thing.

The BLM movement raises issues of injustice, but part of that is educating those with white privilege.

Raab is one example of many people who wont understand the background of taking to a knee and will learn from this.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:26 - Jun 18 with 2068 viewsHerbivore

Dominic raab on taking a knee on 12:24 - Jun 18 by Marshalls_Mullet

I'll get slaughtered for this as usual. But this shows why taking to a knee is a good thing.

The BLM movement raises issues of injustice, but part of that is educating those with white privilege.

Raab is one example of many people who wont understand the background of taking to a knee and will learn from this.

Jesus wept.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024