Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Government dropping their Track and Trace App 13:45 - Jun 18 with 2358 viewsKievthegreat

Omnishambles...

Government dropping their Track and Trace App on 13:51 - Jun 18 with 2324 viewsSteve_M

World class.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

Government dropping their Track and Trace App on 13:52 - Jun 18 with 2312 viewsDarth_Koont

It's like the ventilator shambles all over again.

We need ventilators ... let's waste time and money re-inventing the wheel and producing something that isn't fit for purpose. We need a track and trace app ... let's waste time and money re-inventing the wheel and producing something that isn't fit for purpose.

Ironically, if the government was a business they'd have failed, been bailed out and then probably nationalised by now.

Pronouns: He/Him

Government dropping their Track and Trace App on 13:58 - Jun 18 with 2288 viewsKievthegreat

Government dropping their Track and Trace App on 13:52 - Jun 18 by Darth_Koont

It's like the ventilator shambles all over again.

We need ventilators ... let's waste time and money re-inventing the wheel and producing something that isn't fit for purpose. We need a track and trace app ... let's waste time and money re-inventing the wheel and producing something that isn't fit for purpose.

Ironically, if the government was a business they'd have failed, been bailed out and then probably nationalised by now.

This is what happens when the entire Cabinet is camped at the peak of "Mount Stupid"

Government dropping their Track and Trace App on 14:05 - Jun 18 with 2256 viewsSarge

Good. The fact it’s taken this long is astounding but sadly unsurprising.
Government dropping their Track and Trace App on 14:11 - Jun 18 with 2241 viewsDarth_Koont

Government dropping their Track and Trace App on 13:58 - Jun 18 by Kievthegreat

This is what happens when the entire Cabinet is camped at the peak of "Mount Stupid"

Haha. I love that model but Mount Stupid was a new one. Great stuff.

And I don't want to depress anyone further but this is the government who are also "negotiating" our future trade and regulatory existence. If they can't understand let alone manage these fairly straightforward projects then what hope do they have with the complexity and detail of Brexit?

They're Putin's agents, aren't they? There's no other explanation for this level of bumbling, totally oblivious incompetence.

Government dropping their Track and Trace App on 14:50 - Jun 18 with 2199 viewsEastTownBlue

Government dropping their Track and Trace App on 13:51 - Jun 18 by Steve_M

World class.

Certainly leading the world in some aspects.
Government dropping their Track and Trace App on 14:53 - Jun 18 with 2191 viewsBlueBadger

Government dropping their Track and Trace App on 14:50 - Jun 18 by EastTownBlue

Certainly leading the world in some aspects.

Most deaths, lowest numbers tested, deepest post-lockdown recession...

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Government dropping their Track and Trace App on 15:13 - Jun 18 with 2145 viewsDanTheMan

Who could have predicted this? No one in the tech industry for sure.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Login to get fewer ads

Government dropping their Track and Trace App on 15:16 - Jun 18 with 2142 viewssparks

Government dropping their Track and Trace App on 15:13 - Jun 18 by DanTheMan

Who could have predicted this? No one in the tech industry for sure.

Seems to be a constant theme in public sector IT. They reinvent the wheel- badly- and then expect staff to improvise and cope, whilst paying ever more poorly.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Government dropping their Track and Trace App on 15:19 - Jun 18 with 2126 viewsDanTheMan

Government dropping their Track and Trace App on 15:16 - Jun 18 by sparks

Seems to be a constant theme in public sector IT. They reinvent the wheel- badly- and then expect staff to improvise and cope, whilst paying ever more poorly.

Good old "not invented here" syndrome alive and well. Been at one company that was like that.

Go with something that Dave built on his break in half an hour over something that is industry standard.

Sounds like they had a lot of trouble measuring distance using Bluetooth which isn't at all surprising having worked with it. Each device has it's own idea about how Bluetooth behaves which you can do absolutely nothing about except write hack after hack after hack.

I will be fair though, some people have tried to modernise Government / Public Sector IT running.

And getting an application like this out, in a centralised model, in a very short time frame... well it was unlikely to succeed. I don't think the public sector has the capacity for that kind of in house development as it is.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2020 15:21]

Government dropping their Track and Trace App on 15:20 - Jun 18 with 2124 viewsBlueBadger

The irony here is, this is actually one of those rare occasions when actually utilising the Efficient Private Sector would have been sufficient, given how effective the google/IoS app has been.

It was a pure vanity exercise on the pass of the government so, like the clinical trial of dexamethasone(a steroid which has been in use in respiratory medicine for years), they could say 'look at us, we're Britain and still really great. Please stop looking at the death rates and bodies in the graveyards'.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Government dropping their Track and Trace App on 15:23 - Jun 18 with 2108 viewssoupytwist

Let's hope that whichever of Cummins' and Gove's family/old school and university chums have pocketed a few bob so far give it all back.
Government dropping their Track and Trace App on 15:26 - Jun 18 with 2092 viewsDarth_Koont

Government dropping their Track and Trace App on 15:19 - Jun 18 by DanTheMan

Good old "not invented here" syndrome alive and well. Been at one company that was like that.

Go with something that Dave built on his break in half an hour over something that is industry standard.

Sounds like they had a lot of trouble measuring distance using Bluetooth which isn't at all surprising having worked with it. Each device has it's own idea about how Bluetooth behaves which you can do absolutely nothing about except write hack after hack after hack.

I will be fair though, some people have tried to modernise Government / Public Sector IT running.

And getting an application like this out, in a centralised model, in a very short time frame... well it was unlikely to succeed. I don't think the public sector has the capacity for that kind of in house development as it is.

They're the sort of people who would rather look for a British success than save lives through someone else's success.

Bunch of red, white and blue narrative-bending @rse.

Government dropping their Track and Trace App on 15:31 - Jun 18 with 2083 viewsDanTheMan

Actually come to think of it, the NHSX app was outsourced, it's made by Pivitiol Labs, who are by no means a small company (tech people might know them as the people who make vmware stuff).

Not sure if the centralised bit was in house or not, not seen anything about it.
[Post edited 18 Jun 2020 15:31]

Government dropping their Track and Trace App on 16:59 - Jun 18 with 1929 viewsGlasgowBlue

Dido has put up the White Flag.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Government dropping their Track and Trace App on 17:48 - Jun 18 with 1893 viewsDubtractor

Did any other countries try to create their own app, or were we alone in that venture?

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Government dropping their Track and Trace App on 17:52 - Jun 18 with 1888 viewsDanTheMan

Government dropping their Track and Trace App on 17:48 - Jun 18 by Dubtractor

Did any other countries try to create their own app, or were we alone in that venture?

Quite a few others:
https://www.top10vpn.com/research/investigations/covid-19-digital-rights-tracker

Government dropping their Track and Trace App on 17:52 - Jun 18 with 1886 viewsjeera

Government dropping their Track and Trace App on 17:48 - Jun 18 by Dubtractor

Dido was just saying it's a worldwide problem.

But I was only half-listening so she was possibly referring to the Apple issues.

As you suggest [?] if other countries have the solution maybe we could borrow it for a little while.

The rest I did see was rather painful.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Government dropping their Track and Trace App on 17:54 - Jun 18 with 1881 viewsDanTheMan

Government dropping their Track and Trace App on 17:52 - Jun 18 by jeera

Dido was just saying it's a worldwide problem.

But I was only half-listening so she was possibly referring to the Apple issues.

As you suggest [?] if other countries have the solution maybe we could borrow it for a little while.

The rest I did see was rather painful.

Germany have literally open sourced their decentralised one.

The owner of Wikipedia was saying he run it for the NHS for free.

Government dropping their Track and Trace App on 17:58 - Jun 18 with 1868 viewslongtimefan

Government dropping their Track and Trace App on 15:19 - Jun 18 by DanTheMan

“Sounds like they had a lot of trouble measuring distance using Bluetooth which isn't at all surprising having worked with it. Each device has it's own idea about how Bluetooth behaves which you can do absolutely nothing about except write hack after hack after hack. ”

From what was said on the radio this afternoon the NHS app was better at measuring distances than the google/apple app, but was completely hopeless at detecting iPhones at all. Supposedly they’re now cooperating with google/apple to potentially integrate their distance measuring improvements into the google/apple apps.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024