Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Away from politics, viruses, football or bigotry... 16:49 - Jun 18 with 898 viewsclive_baker

Anyone know anything about mortgages?

How does it work if you're in your fixed term and want to move house to somewhere that'll require borrowing more money? In my simple mind there's 2 choices:

A) Pay an early repayment fee to exit existing lender and get a new mortgage on your new property with a different lender. Not ideal given these fees can be high.

B) Move your current product over to a new, bigger one with the same lender. How does this bit work, is it a completely new application? And If my wife isn't currently on my mortgage, but would need to be added to be able to afford the new gaff, would that likely make it a different application / scenario?

I've never moved before, still in my first place, but I can imagine it's a relatively common thing unless people normally try and time moving with the end of a fixed period?

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Away from politics, viruses, football or bigotry... on 16:55 - Jun 18 with 884 viewsKieran_Knows

I'll watch over this thread as I'm in the same position (currently 10 months in to our next 2 years fixed rate).

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Away from politics, viruses, football or bigotry... on 16:58 - Jun 18 with 862 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

The bank gets free money and lend it to you.....you get fleeced....hope this helps.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Away from politics, viruses, football or bigotry... on 17:09 - Jun 18 with 854 viewsKeno

Drop Osborne one-nil a PM

He is the man for mortgages

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Away from politics, viruses, football or bigotry... on 17:17 - Jun 18 with 843 viewseastangliaisblue

When i moved a few years ago, i carried the one i have over to the new house. I needed to borrow a bit extra, so took another mortgage out.
Away from politics, viruses, football or bigotry... on 17:31 - Jun 18 with 800 viewssparks

They call it "porting" the mortgage to the new property. You may not get the same deal on the extra- but essentially you need to call them and ask what they can do...

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

Away from politics, viruses, football or bigotry... on 17:47 - Jun 18 with 766 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

I would think B is the most likely option. Shouldn't be a huge problem if you fit the affordability criteria.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Away from politics, viruses, football or bigotry... on 17:50 - Jun 18 with 753 viewsDubtractor

Away from politics, viruses, football or bigotry... on 17:17 - Jun 18 by eastangliaisblue

When i moved a few years ago, i carried the one i have over to the new house. I needed to borrow a bit extra, so took another mortgage out.

Exactly what I was going to say. Its simple enough.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Away from politics, viruses, football or bigotry... on 18:19 - Jun 18 with 732 viewslinhdi

It will be explained in the T&Cs in your paperwork when you took out the loan. Approach varies a lot, so I'd read your own documents rather than rely on guesswork from whichever wfh call person you might get through to on the phone.
Login to get fewer ads

Away from politics, viruses, football or bigotry... on 08:18 - Jun 19 with 623 viewsitfcjoe

Basically you end up with 2 mortgages, the existing one stays as is and the further borrowing is a new one.

I think I currently have 4 - old house, extra borrowing when moved, extra borrowing to pay for building works and a further tranche when we finished the house

Get 4 statements, 4 accounts, etc but just one payment made

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Away from politics, viruses, football or bigotry... on 11:54 - Jun 19 with 554 viewsBrookermg

Yes, they annoying and frustrating.

Had a mortgage agreed in principle in March. Agreed a price for the house we are trying to buy, submitted the full application. 2 days later lockdown occured, All mortgages applications are then automatically rejected. This was frustrating, but I can understand why.

Last week, submitted another mortgage application, everything agreed in principle, made the formal application. Received letters to say this was underway, surveys etc were being arranged. I thought great, its going through this time we can start to get things moving (pardon the pun). Today been told because of our furlough, the mortgage is rejected. But they would be happy to approve the mortgage if we were not on Furlough.

Don't understand this at all, the agreement in principle was submitted and approved using a furlough wage. WTF!

Sorry for venting my frustrations on here.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024