Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
RFU reviewing the singing of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot 22:26 - Jun 18 with 3806 viewsStokieBlue

https://metro.co.uk/2020/06/18/england-rugby-fans-banned-singing-swing-low-sweet

"And the prospect of fans being told that the song can no longer be sung is now being considered."

I'd never really thought about the origins of the song to be honest, it was just something sung by the fans for many decades.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

RFU reviewing the singing of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot on 22:46 - Jun 18 with 2263 viewsWacko

I knew it was written by a slave, but isn't it a good thing it's being sung all these years after? It's not like it was written by a slave owner and is detrimental to slaves. Isn't it a bit like saying we can't sing songs by jews written during the holocaust?

Apologies if I'm being ignorant and missed an obvious point

(I also can't stand rugby so never sing it anyway)

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

RFU reviewing the singing of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot on 22:46 - Jun 18 with 2256 viewsPendejo

What would Wallace Willis want?

If I were he, I'd be chuffed that thousands of people sang my song 155 years later. Or is the problem cultural appropriation? Cos the song clearly doesn't glorify slavery nor is it sung as a means of communicating hate.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

RFU reviewing the singing of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot on 22:48 - Jun 18 with 2239 viewsWacko

RFU reviewing the singing of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot on 22:46 - Jun 18 by Pendejo

If I were he, I'd be chuffed that thousands of people sang my song 155 years later. Or is the problem cultural appropriation? Cos the song clearly doesn't glorify slavery nor is it sung as a means of communicating hate.

Snap

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

RFU reviewing the singing of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot on 22:48 - Jun 18 with 2245 viewsStokieBlue

RFU reviewing the singing of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot on 22:46 - Jun 18 by Pendejo

I don't know what the issue is. I've read a few articles now and it's not any clearer.

Perhaps someone from the TWTD hive mind will be able to point us in the right direction.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

RFU reviewing the singing of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot on 07:47 - Jun 19 with 2039 viewsFtnfwest

We’re still ok to chant ‘scum’ at each other in football though?
RFU reviewing the singing of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot on 08:02 - Jun 19 with 2013 viewsWarkystache

RFU reviewing the singing of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot on 07:47 - Jun 19 by Ftnfwest

And call a near Octanagerian woman a whore?

Poll: If we were guaranteed promotion next season, how would you celebrate?
Blog: [Blog] It's Time the Club Pushed On

RFU reviewing the singing of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot on 08:13 - Jun 19 with 1995 viewsSteve_M

Brian Moore was interesting on it's use in rugby:

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

RFU reviewing the singing of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot on 08:55 - Jun 19 with 1934 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

RFU reviewing the singing of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot on 22:48 - Jun 18 by StokieBlue

I don't know what the issue is. I've read a few articles now and it's not any clearer.

Perhaps someone from the TWTD hive mind will be able to point us in the right direction.

SB

Have to agree here.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Login to get fewer ads

RFU reviewing the singing of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot on 08:57 - Jun 19 with 1931 viewsChiefXL

RFU reviewing the singing of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot on 22:46 - Jun 18 by Wacko

I knew it was written by a slave, but isn't it a good thing it's being sung all these years after? It's not like it was written by a slave owner and is detrimental to slaves. Isn't it a bit like saying we can't sing songs by jews written during the holocaust?

Apologies if I'm being ignorant and missed an obvious point

(I also can't stand rugby so never sing it anyway)

I think a really fitting tribute would be for the fans at Twickenham to black up their faces when singing it.
RFU reviewing the singing of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot on 08:57 - Jun 19 with 1930 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

RFU reviewing the singing of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot on 08:13 - Jun 19 by Steve_M

Brian Moore was interesting on it's use in rugby:

He doesn't seem to give any reason as to why it's not appropriate?

Fair enough if it is inappropriate, but singing a song that was written by a slave doesn't seem a negative thing in itself.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

RFU reviewing the singing of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot on 09:20 - Jun 19 with 1871 viewsGlasgowBlue

It’s a spiritual written by a slave and is mosty interpreted as being about death and going to the after life, whilst another interpretation is a coded message to escape.

As it’s written by a slave rather than a slave owner then I don’t see an issue with it being sung.
[Post edited 19 Jun 2020 9:21]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

RFU reviewing the singing of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot on 09:23 - Jun 19 with 1851 viewslowhouseblue

RFU reviewing the singing of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot on 09:20 - Jun 19 by GlasgowBlue

It’s a spiritual written by a slave and is mosty interpreted as being about death and going to the after life, whilst another interpretation is a coded message to escape.

As it’s written by a slave rather than a slave owner then I don’t see an issue with it being sung.
[Post edited 19 Jun 2020 9:21]

i thought he was an ex-slave when it was written. it was also an anthem for the civil rights movement in the '60s. so i am struggling to see it as in anyway a racist song.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

RFU reviewing the singing of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot on 09:24 - Jun 19 with 1858 viewsfooters

It should be banned on artistic merit alone. Load of prawn sandwich munching, Surrey dwellers belting it out gives me the willies.

Miles behind Fields of Athenry and others in terms of rugger songs.

P.s. isn't Twickenham awful etc?
[Post edited 19 Jun 2020 9:27]

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

RFU reviewing the singing of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot on 09:24 - Jun 19 with 1858 viewsJakeITFC

RFU reviewing the singing of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot on 08:57 - Jun 19 by Marshalls_Mullet

He doesn't seem to give any reason as to why it's not appropriate?

Fair enough if it is inappropriate, but singing a song that was written by a slave doesn't seem a negative thing in itself.

It’s the appropriation of a song about the misery of slavery being taken way out of context and being sung gleefully by (effectively) the team of the oppressors in some cases. I imagine it could be hurtful to some people to see such a deeply personal song about the struggle of their ancestors being used in the manner that it is by English rugby.

I think it is another one of those things where people aren’t aware of the context and reviews like this are important to give people a choice as to whether they want to continue singing it or not.
RFU reviewing the singing of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot on 09:29 - Jun 19 with 1836 viewsbrazil1982

RFU reviewing the singing of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot on 07:47 - Jun 19 by Ftnfwest

It won't be long before that's banned.
RFU reviewing the singing of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot on 09:29 - Jun 19 with 1839 viewsGlasgowBlue

RFU reviewing the singing of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot on 09:23 - Jun 19 by lowhouseblue

i thought he was an ex-slave when it was written. it was also an anthem for the civil rights movement in the '60s. so i am struggling to see it as in anyway a racist song.

Having looked it up it does appear that it was written by a freed slave after the civil war had ended and has been sung by MLK and Paul Robeson.

If we are now suggesting that white peoples can’t sing songs due to cultural appropriation then we are going to have to wipe out most of modern music since the mid fifties inwards.

Iron Lion Zion

RFU reviewing the singing of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot on 09:30 - Jun 19 with 1832 viewssparks

RFU reviewing the singing of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot on 09:24 - Jun 19 by JakeITFC

It’s the appropriation of a song about the misery of slavery being taken way out of context and being sung gleefully by (effectively) the team of the oppressors in some cases. I imagine it could be hurtful to some people to see such a deeply personal song about the struggle of their ancestors being used in the manner that it is by English rugby.

I think it is another one of those things where people aren’t aware of the context and reviews like this are important to give people a choice as to whether they want to continue singing it or not.

I may be mistaken, but I suspect there are very very few people hurt or upset by it, and even fewer still who are actually of a background that would give them cause to be.

We are at real risk of banning all sorts of stuff because of hand wringing by white people over things that aren't actually seen as issues by the people they are over zealously trying to protect. Everything on its merits.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

RFU reviewing the singing of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot on 09:32 - Jun 19 with 1820 viewslowhouseblue

RFU reviewing the singing of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot on 09:24 - Jun 19 by JakeITFC

you do realise that the appropriation line could equally apply to the blues and everything that has come from it.? damn.

people at rugby games in the 21st century are not 'the oppressors' of 19th century american slaves. i know it's a trendy thing to say, but nonsense is still always nonsense.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

RFU reviewing the singing of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot on 09:40 - Jun 19 with 1799 viewsJakeITFC

RFU reviewing the singing of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot on 09:30 - Jun 19 by sparks

I may be mistaken, but I suspect there are very very few people hurt or upset by it, and even fewer still who are actually of a background that would give them cause to be.

We are at real risk of banning all sorts of stuff because of hand wringing by white people over things that aren't actually seen as issues by the people they are over zealously trying to protect. Everything on its merits.

Maybe not in this country: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/07/sports/rugby-swing-low-sweet-chariot.html
RFU reviewing the singing of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot on 09:47 - Jun 19 with 1766 viewssparks

RFU reviewing the singing of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot on 09:40 - Jun 19 by JakeITFC

Maybe not in this country: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/07/sports/rugby-swing-low-sweet-chariot.html

Can't read it unfortunately.

I routinely sing and play old tunes, including some spirituals, which undoubtedly have a similar background and certainly have some similar messages. Some of the more zealous activists might well say I am culturally appropriating and am wrong to do so. I think that is basically cultural vandalism and segregation which is just ridiculous.

That said, I do suggest there is a distinction to be drawn between enjoying and engaging in a cultural thing from a position of respect and knowledge, and doing it without that position.

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

RFU reviewing the singing of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot on 09:47 - Jun 19 with 1763 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

RFU reviewing the singing of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot on 09:40 - Jun 19 by JakeITFC

Not sure that one article represents the views of a nation. Seems they know more about the origins of the song.

It does seem that many people in this country, regardless of colour were / are unaware of its history.

RFU reviewing the singing of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot on 09:47 - Jun 19 with 1765 viewsJakeITFC

RFU reviewing the singing of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot on 09:29 - Jun 19 by GlasgowBlue

Having looked it up it does appear that it was written by a freed slave after the civil war had ended and has been sung by MLK and Paul Robeson.

If we are now suggesting that white peoples can’t sing songs due to cultural appropriation then we are going to have to wipe out most of modern music since the mid fifties inwards.

You (and the guy taking about blues above) must realise this is different to just covering a song or singing in the style of black musicians?

Throw in the context of it being sung by white rugby fans when a black player did well and it’s on very sketchy ground.
RFU reviewing the singing of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot on 09:47 - Jun 19 with 1760 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

RFU reviewing the singing of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot on 09:29 - Jun 19 by GlasgowBlue

Agreed.

RFU reviewing the singing of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot on 09:50 - Jun 19 with 1744 viewsJakeITFC

RFU reviewing the singing of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot on 09:47 - Jun 19 by sparks

Can't read it unfortunately.

I routinely sing and play old tunes, including some spirituals, which undoubtedly have a similar background and certainly have some similar messages. Some of the more zealous activists might well say I am culturally appropriating and am wrong to do so. I think that is basically cultural vandalism and segregation which is just ridiculous.

That said, I do suggest there is a distinction to be drawn between enjoying and engaging in a cultural thing from a position of respect and knowledge, and doing it without that position.

Your last paragraph is just it.

I would hope, as with a lot of these things, that people would think twice about the meaning of the song when they hear it and make an informed decision as to whether they want to carry on singing it. I’d also suggest the RFU’s position on English rugby owning it is a bit troublesome.
RFU reviewing the singing of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot on 09:54 - Jun 19 with 1725 viewsGlasgowBlue

RFU reviewing the singing of Swing Low, Sweet Chariot on 09:47 - Jun 19 by JakeITFC

You (and the guy taking about blues above) must realise this is different to just covering a song or singing in the style of black musicians?

Throw in the context of it being sung by white rugby fans when a black player did well and it’s on very sketchy ground.

Rock and roll was built on white singers appropriating songs recorded previously by black singer/songwriters, singing it in the style of a black singer and not paying one penny to the original artist.

Should we wipe rock and roll off the history books?

Led Zeplin we’re still doing it in the 70’s. Rod Stewart’s record label in the states tried to keep his image off the cover of his earliest work so black stations would play him thinking he was black.
[Post edited 19 Jun 2020 9:55]

Iron Lion Zion

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024