Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Petty annoyances 18:03 - Jun 21 with 3587 viewsSwansea_Blue

I was going to make this about neighbours, as that’s my example. But I’m guessing (hoping!) I’m not alone and people are harbouring all sorts of pointless grievances.

Mine: how ridiculously tidy most of the neighbours gardens are, making me feel like a right slob (and ours isn’t bad, just a few weeds). We’re in comfortable suburbia, surrounded by retirees with new BMWs or small Toyotas on the drive and lawns they seem to cut with scissors. All paint work gets a freshen up each year and even their tubs and hanging baskets are colour coordinated with house colour/cars, you name it. They’ve had a non-stop stream of gardeners and various workmen all through lockdown.

Drives me up the wall.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Petty annoyances on 18:18 - Jun 21 with 3507 viewsgainsboroughblue

Keeping up with the Jones' eh? Which probably, there are a lot of in Swansea.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Petty annoyances on 18:21 - Jun 21 with 3494 viewsRyorry

Cripes - my neighbours might justifiably complain about my nettle & thistle seeds drifting on to their gardens & land, as despite my best efforts, I just can't keep up with pulling/slashing/dousing em all in weedkiller (the weeds, not the neighours).
Luckily they have plenty of nettles etc of their own & are much too nice to moan at me anyway!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Petty annoyances on 18:27 - Jun 21 with 3474 viewsSwansea_Blue

Petty annoyances on 18:18 - Jun 21 by gainsboroughblue

Keeping up with the Jones' eh? Which probably, there are a lot of in Swansea.

Very good . It’s the not keeping up that’s the problem!

Petty annoyances on 18:28 - Jun 21 with 3471 viewsSwansea_Blue

Petty annoyances on 18:21 - Jun 21 by Ryorry

Cripes - my neighbours might justifiably complain about my nettle & thistle seeds drifting on to their gardens & land, as despite my best efforts, I just can't keep up with pulling/slashing/dousing em all in weedkiller (the weeds, not the neighours).
Luckily they have plenty of nettles etc of their own & are much too nice to moan at me anyway!

Nettle tea. Lovely apparently.

Petty annoyances on 18:37 - Jun 21 with 3451 viewsRyorry

Petty annoyances on 18:28 - Jun 21 by Swansea_Blue

Nettle tea. Lovely apparently.

I must try it sometime. Apparently it also makes good fertiliser "tea" if allowed to steep in water -
https://homesteadandchill.com/stinging-nettle-fertilizer-tea/#:~:text=Nettle%20t

Petty annoyances on 18:56 - Jun 21 with 3425 viewsEdwardStone

Petty annoyances on 18:21 - Jun 21 by Ryorry

Thistles and nettles are wonderful for pollenators...I have a giant thistle that is blocking my leccy meter at the mo' and another threatening to block the front door

Both are visited by orange tip butterflies...and when they go to seed they will become a feast for goldfinches

Don't go too mad with the roundup... Mother Nature needs weeds
Petty annoyances on 21:26 - Jun 21 with 3309 viewsNthQldITFC

The bloke next door to me is forever sitting on top of his bloody wall admiring his weeds, whilst I'm cleaning the Beamer.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Petty annoyances on 21:46 - Jun 21 with 3273 viewsbritbiker

Petty annoyance. Toothpaste adverts where the user clearly had no paste on their toothbrush. That perfect smile with no hint of foam really bugs me. I'd look like I've had rabies
Login to get fewer ads

Petty annoyances on 22:00 - Jun 21 with 3239 viewsOldsmoker

Adverts from companies that I buy services from, that tell me that if I wasn't already a customer of theirs I could get the exact same service for half the price.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Petty annoyances on 22:09 - Jun 21 with 3212 viewsRyorry

Petty annoyances on 18:56 - Jun 21 by EdwardStone

Thistles and nettles are wonderful for pollenators...I have a giant thistle that is blocking my leccy meter at the mo' and another threatening to block the front door

Both are visited by orange tip butterflies...and when they go to seed they will become a feast for goldfinches

Don't go too mad with the roundup... Mother Nature needs weeds

"Mother Nature needs weeds" - yeah I know and agree, but you have to contain them to stop them completely taking over, incl onto neighbours' land - I've a feeling that's actually a legal requirement in these farming parts.

I no longer use Roundup, just a selective w/k by watering can, which automatically limits the area I can cover, plus pulling out by roots & slashing, similarly self-limiting. I do plant trees, shrubs & flowers that bees & butterflies love to compensate, fear not - honeysuckles, Ceonothus (not least cos ITFC blue flowers!) etc.

Petty annoyances on 08:12 - Jun 22 with 3077 viewsTangledupin_Blue

Music CDs which have tracks on which the song is followed by several minutes of silence before a final burst of music.

Why do they do that? I play CDs because I want to listen to the music. If I wanted silence I wouldn't be playing the f*cking thing in the first place.

Example... Kings of Leon's Holy Roller Novocaine. Song length is about 4 minutes, track length about 15 minutes. Excellent song but the musical experience/enjoyment is utterly ruined.

Poll: Which Two Will Gain Automatic Promotion?

Petty annoyances on 16:22 - Jun 22 with 2920 viewsGeoffSentence

My neighbour has just put a horse in her garden. A small horse admittedly, a Shetland pony, but still a horse.

Our gardens are decent size but there is nowhere enough room for even a small horse to graze properly. It will be grass free by the end of the summer.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Petty annoyances on 16:26 - Jun 22 with 2912 viewsKeno

Petty annoyances on 16:22 - Jun 22 by GeoffSentence

My neighbour has just put a horse in her garden. A small horse admittedly, a Shetland pony, but still a horse.

Our gardens are decent size but there is nowhere enough room for even a small horse to graze properly. It will be grass free by the end of the summer.

Oh how I miss Dalai Farmer when small horses get mentioned

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Petty annoyances on 16:28 - Jun 22 with 2902 viewsGeoffSentence

Petty annoyances on 22:09 - Jun 21 by Ryorry

"Mother Nature needs weeds" - yeah I know and agree, but you have to contain them to stop them completely taking over, incl onto neighbours' land - I've a feeling that's actually a legal requirement in these farming parts.

I no longer use Roundup, just a selective w/k by watering can, which automatically limits the area I can cover, plus pulling out by roots & slashing, similarly self-limiting. I do plant trees, shrubs & flowers that bees & butterflies love to compensate, fear not - honeysuckles, Ceonothus (not least cos ITFC blue flowers!) etc.

It is not a legal requirement to stop weeds spreading. Except in the case of a few special weeds and even then only when an order from the secretary of state for the environment and wotnot has been issued.

So unless it is ragwort, two types of dock or two types of thistle and then only if George Eustace has written to you telling you to sort it out, you have nothing to worry about.

See The Weeds Act 1959

Petty annoyances on 16:30 - Jun 22 with 2898 viewsGeoffSentence

Petty annoyances on 16:26 - Jun 22 by Keno

Oh how I miss Dalai Farmer when small horses get mentioned

Petty annoyances on 16:35 - Jun 22 with 2869 viewsKeno

Petty annoyances on 16:30 - Jun 22 by GeoffSentence

YAY!!

I wondered if anyone would remember

Poll: What the penalty given last night because
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Petty annoyances on 17:20 - Jun 22 with 2827 viewsDarth_Koont

Petty annoyances on 16:22 - Jun 22 by GeoffSentence

But, admit it, their garden does look bigger with a small horse in it.

Pronouns: He/Him

Petty annoyances on 17:27 - Jun 22 with 2814 viewsuefacup81

Petty annoyances on 16:28 - Jun 22 by GeoffSentence

It is not a legal requirement to stop weeds spreading. Except in the case of a few special weeds and even then only when an order from the secretary of state for the environment and wotnot has been issued.

So unless it is ragwort, two types of dock or two types of thistle and then only if George Eustace has written to you telling you to sort it out, you have nothing to worry about.

See The Weeds Act 1959

I think Japanese Knotweed is a special case though.

The recent case against Network Rail has confirmed that the obligation to prevent JK spreading onto neighbouring property is a blanket one.

https://www.jmp-solicitors.com/williams-v-network-rail/
[Post edited 22 Jun 2020 17:30]

Poll: Predictions for tonight?

Petty annoyances on 17:33 - Jun 22 with 2801 viewsRyorry

Petty annoyances on 16:28 - Jun 22 by GeoffSentence

See The Weeds Act 1959

OK thanks, but it's pretty important round here in terms of neighbour relationships anyway. Plus as UefaCup81 says, J. Knotweed is another notifiable one. Thankfully, I don't have that.

Petty annoyances on 20:52 - Jun 22 with 2694 viewsGeoffSentence

Petty annoyances on 17:20 - Jun 22 by Darth_Koont

But, admit it, their garden does look bigger with a small horse in it.

It looks like a large american ranch. With very big people.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024