Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement 18:27 - Jun 21 with 7052 viewsNthsuffolkblue

If you couple this with the fact the last time this country voted in a Government remotely left of centre was well over 40 years ago, I take it we live in an openly racist country.

How can caring about black people being murdered by the police and institutional racism generally be a "hard left" issue? How can we repeatedly elect Governments that support this ideology?

Stephen Lawrence, Dalian Atkinson, George Floyd, I will not keep quiet. Tonight I am ashamed to be British. I want to be proud of my country but it has been taken over by racist xenophobes.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 18:33 - Jun 21 with 2685 viewsSwansea_Blue

I suppose it depends on context. It probably is hard left to a far right racist .

For me it’s the clearest indicator of whether people are moral. I can’t for the life of me understand why anyone would be against black people being treated as justly as anyone else.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 18:35 - Jun 21 with 2669 viewsSpruceMoose

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 18:33 - Jun 21 by Swansea_Blue

I suppose it depends on context. It probably is hard left to a far right racist .

For me it’s the clearest indicator of whether people are moral. I can’t for the life of me understand why anyone would be against black people being treated as justly as anyone else.

Because they're massive racists presumably.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 18:37 - Jun 21 with 2656 viewsMullet

Seeds of what as left when Thatcherism rotted away now coming back in full bloom. Selfishness, a state of nostalgia-driven delusion and anti-intellectualism coupled by fear of someone else getting something you didn't it seems to me.

The fact that so many people are so deferential to the upper classes in this country is telling in itself. We no longer have a feudal system but a caste system where all but the very top and bottom are hard to define. Everything is now a battleground and hen it's hard to measure your self worth, what's easier than skin colour and the trappings of identity?

We've fostered a culture and generation of people who think they have a right to be heard and not to listen and when it comes to confrontation of uncomfortable truths they punch down.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 18:42 - Jun 21 with 2635 viewsNthsuffolkblue

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 18:33 - Jun 21 by Swansea_Blue

I made the mistake of engaging on Yahoo comments. What depresses me is not the racist xenophobes who comment but the fact that they get 50+ likes. Any challenge goes fairly much unnoticed. I feel TWTD is a left-of-centre echo chamber. There are a few dissenting voices (most of whom are unable to argue their case when challenged to). I appreciate I can come on here and feel there is some hope. The same with my echo chambers on social media. But the electorate has clearly demonstrated we are a minority.

I convince myself that now everyone who votes Conservative or for Brexit is a racist but then all the evidence begins to suggest otherwise. At the very least they are comfortable in bed with them. We have slept-walked into Fascism. It is time for every decent white individual to loudly shout that we support BLM.

According to comments I read BLM is a on 18:47 - Jun 21 with 2624 viewssparks

I have one or two observations on that post. "not left of centre" does not equal "racist".

Also, at the outset, BLM was a rather edgy radical group as I recall. I remember having a look when they first came to some prominence- and their website had some stuff on it which was pretty radical but within a few days or weeks became significantly more reasonable and measured.

One suspects that the original small fringe organisation is very different to what is there now- but its not a huge surprise that those with an interest latch onto that in order to discredit the group.

Noone has taken over the country- social media allows minority voices to be very loud.
[Post edited 21 Jun 2020 18:48]

The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred to the presence of those who think they've found it. (Sir Terry Pratchett)
Poll: Is Fred drunk this morning?

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 18:56 - Jun 21 with 2591 viewsLankHenners

Britain's biggest open secret is that it has a problem with racism.

No progress gets made because if you mention it you get hit with 'well, we're not as bad as [insert country here], that's what racism really looks like', or some protracted debate will open up about trying to find 'balance' with rampant bothsides-ism taking place which dilutes and takes away from the original problem, often from people who claim they're moderate, sensible, centrist folk who in reality are useful idiots for the really vile cretins.

All coming from selfishness of people who point blank refuse to consider someone else's life experiences. Genuine concerns about immigration are stoked up by right-wing commentators, media figures and politicians to drive people to hatred of 'others'. The politicians pretend to be appalled by the language and actions of those types but they want that energy at the voting booth. They're everything from shameless to plain nasty.

'Being proud of your country' means nothing, other than how vigorously you can wave a Union Jack and how loud you can shout Rule Britannia. A pretty good, growing, example is that the further we get away from the first world war, and since any soldiers that fought there have now died, the more the remembrance moves away from being a quiet, sombre reflection to a noisy demand to visually display your respect or be labelled unpatriotic.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 18:59 - Jun 21 with 2570 viewslowhouseblue

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 18:42 - Jun 21 by Nthsuffolkblue

I made the mistake of engaging on Yahoo comments. What depresses me is not the racist xenophobes who comment but the fact that they get 50+ likes. Any challenge goes fairly much unnoticed. I feel TWTD is a left-of-centre echo chamber. There are a few dissenting voices (most of whom are unable to argue their case when challenged to). I appreciate I can come on here and feel there is some hope. The same with my echo chambers on social media. But the electorate has clearly demonstrated we are a minority.

I convince myself that now everyone who votes Conservative or for Brexit is a racist but then all the evidence begins to suggest otherwise. At the very least they are comfortable in bed with them. We have slept-walked into Fascism. It is time for every decent white individual to loudly shout that we support BLM.

we have not walked into fascism, awake or asleep. that's silly and it detracts form otherwise sensible points. it is a tiny minority who would deny that black lives matter - or that it is an important statement in these current times. one of the good things the BLM spokespeople have been doing is trying to build unity and common purpose, not trying to create division where none exists. there's no point in being edgy by looking for racists and imaginary fascists when the vast majority agree that we need to come together in restating that black lives matter.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 19:01 - Jun 21 with 2558 viewsBlueBadger

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 18:42 - Jun 21 by Nthsuffolkblue

Interesting turn of phrase from Spanish foreign minister! by BlueBadger 21 Jun 2020 17:35
Remember, not everyone who voted 'leave' was racist and stupid. Some were just stupid.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Login to get fewer ads

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 19:05 - Jun 21 with 2531 viewsNthsuffolkblue

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 18:59 - Jun 21 by lowhouseblue

we have not walked into fascism, awake or asleep. that's silly and it detracts form otherwise sensible points. it is a tiny minority who would deny that black lives matter - or that it is an important statement in these current times. one of the good things the BLM spokespeople have been doing is trying to build unity and common purpose, not trying to create division where none exists. there's no point in being edgy by looking for racists and imaginary fascists when the vast majority agree that we need to come together in restating that black lives matter.

I hope you are right.

It is going to take a lot of people whose politics are openly right of centre to loudly shout for the rights of black people and stop making excuses.

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 19:07 - Jun 21 with 2516 viewsMullet

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 18:59 - Jun 21 by lowhouseblue

Go on any social media post let alone story about BLM or similar things and it will be attacked by "all lives matter" to outright death threats and hostility. I don't believe it is "a tiny minority" at all. It is a sizeable one easily led and steered by a tiny minority in the best possible skewing of the reality. It may well be passive in the main but that's not excusable.

A lot more people clearly harbour these views and ignorant impulses than a tiny minority. More and more of them are emboldened especially when able to blend into a group, that's a standard flaw in human behaviour.

Even the linguistics of say immigrant vs. expat for example betray one of the main ways in which British culture likes to excuse the behaviour of one group and demonise it from another. Our media and its love affair with some fairy tale version of a World War nobody won has possibly been one of the most damaging causes too of this prevailing attitude the rest of the world seems to hate or at best shrug at.

The fact it's sort of bred and mutated with the American brand of Neo-liberal mythology is incredibly worrying.

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 19:08 - Jun 21 with 2502 viewslowhouseblue

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 19:05 - Jun 21 by Nthsuffolkblue

I hope you are right.

It is going to take a lot of people whose politics are openly right of centre to loudly shout for the rights of black people and stop making excuses.

there is powerful momentum across politics - but it needs to be focused on specific things that can be achieved. e.g. - implement the recommendations of the lammy report. it can be done quickly and it will have an impact.

And so as the loose-bowelled pigeon of time swoops low over the unsuspecting tourist of destiny, and the flatulent skunk of fate wanders into the air-conditioning system of eternity, I notice it's the end of the show

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 19:14 - Jun 21 with 2480 viewslowhouseblue

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 19:07 - Jun 21 by Mullet

Go on any social media post let alone story about BLM or similar things and it will be attacked by "all lives matter" to outright death threats and hostility. I don't believe it is "a tiny minority" at all. It is a sizeable one easily led and steered by a tiny minority in the best possible skewing of the reality. It may well be passive in the main but that's not excusable.

A lot more people clearly harbour these views and ignorant impulses than a tiny minority. More and more of them are emboldened especially when able to blend into a group, that's a standard flaw in human behaviour.

Even the linguistics of say immigrant vs. expat for example betray one of the main ways in which British culture likes to excuse the behaviour of one group and demonise it from another. Our media and its love affair with some fairy tale version of a World War nobody won has possibly been one of the most damaging causes too of this prevailing attitude the rest of the world seems to hate or at best shrug at.

The fact it's sort of bred and mutated with the American brand of Neo-liberal mythology is incredibly worrying.

social media isn't real life though. it's not representative - it's just small groups shouting loudly at each other. nationally there is a huge majority against racism and wanting to focus on the blm issues - all the polls show this. there's no point getting into a social media fight about 3 word slogans - of course all lives matter, but at the moment it sometimes seems that black lives don't.

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 19:15 - Jun 21 with 2483 viewshampstead_blue

A bit strong. No need to self-flagellate for the actions of others.

Are you saying that Dalian Atkinson was murdered?

I think you're last comment is not correct. However, this will be twisted and shot down with a whole raft of assumptions placed where they do not belong nor are required.

Every country has racist elements. It's something you will never eradicate. Never. Well, unless you like the idea of Orwell's 1984 that is.
If you really think this country is that bad then you've been on the Kool Aid or sucking on BLM propaganda chews.

We are in a good place compared to the majority of the former Eastern block and that's just close to home.

I'll now let the trolls which stalk me twist and throw baseless insults.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 19:18 - Jun 21 with 2465 viewsMullet

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 19:14 - Jun 21 by lowhouseblue

social media isn't real life though. it's not representative - it's just small groups shouting loudly at each other. nationally there is a huge majority against racism and wanting to focus on the blm issues - all the polls show this. there's no point getting into a social media fight about 3 word slogans - of course all lives matter, but at the moment it sometimes seems that black lives don't.

I thought I was fairly clear.

If you translate that into real life you get busloads of Yaxley-Lennon fanboys like the last lot embarrassing themselves turning up in cities and trashing the place and assaulting the police. It's been happening for years.

They are in no short supply of outward enthusiastic supporters and tacit supporters either.

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 19:19 - Jun 21 with 2459 viewsNthsuffolkblue

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 19:08 - Jun 21 by lowhouseblue

there is powerful momentum across politics - but it needs to be focused on specific things that can be achieved. e.g. - implement the recommendations of the lammy report. it can be done quickly and it will have an impact.

And yet nothing I have seen and read from right-of-centre politicians inspires me with any confidence.

Martin Luther King and colleagues made huge leaps but so little has changed since.

As Mullet says, it is far from a small minority. It needs anyone reasonable on the right to stand up against the rhetoric from Johnson, Hancock, Coffey, Patel and co.

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 19:20 - Jun 21 with 2460 viewsvapour_trail

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 19:15 - Jun 21 by hampstead_blue

I think you're last comment is not correct. However, this will be twisted and shot down with a whole raft of assumptions placed where they do not belong nor are required.

Every country has racist elements. It's something you will never eradicate. Never. Well, unless you like the idea of Orwell's 1984 that is.
If you really think this country is that bad then you've been on the Kool Aid or sucking on BLM propaganda chews.

We are in a good place compared to the majority of the former Eastern block and that's just close to home.

Alright Hampstead.

That’s not how my black mate at work sees it.

And FWIW, I think your ‘sucking on BLM propaganda chews’ remark, pretty distasteful and inappropriate.

I’m sure you didn’t intend it that way.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 19:24 - Jun 21 with 2440 viewslowhouseblue

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 19:18 - Jun 21 by Mullet

I thought I was fairly clear.

If you translate that into real life you get busloads of Yaxley-Lennon fanboys like the last lot embarrassing themselves turning up in cities and trashing the place and assaulting the police. It's been happening for years.

They are in no short supply of outward enthusiastic supporters and tacit supporters either.

well in the '70s people who wanted a scrap ruined football. now they follow around people like yaxley-lennon. they're still a tiny minority however unpleasant.

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 19:26 - Jun 21 with 2429 viewslowhouseblue

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 19:15 - Jun 21 by hampstead_blue

hasn't a policeman been charged with murder? or does wiki have that wrong?

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 19:29 - Jun 21 with 2400 viewsNthsuffolkblue

1 The actions of the political majority. If it was a single voice in the desert I would ignore it. No. On that news site the vast majority agree with the comment. I can only conclude it is widespread that BLM is seen as a hard left movement to oppose reasonable people.

2 The officer who killed Dalian Atkinson has been charged. He has not yet faced trial. I would say his death was as a result of institutional racism at the very least.

3 1984 did not eradicate anything only made it subversive. But that is a side argument. "We are in a good place compared to the majority of the former Eastern block and that's just close to home". There we go again. Let's justify it by it could be worse.

Perhaps you should take a step back and look at your own comments and wonder why many see you as racist.

You may think my last comment was incorrect. It would nice to see some evidence rather than feelings of people who are clearly right of centre in their political outlook as all evidence points that we have done.

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 19:35 - Jun 21 with 2332 viewslowhouseblue

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 19:29 - Jun 21 by Nthsuffolkblue

1 The actions of the political majority. If it was a single voice in the desert I would ignore it. No. On that news site the vast majority agree with the comment. I can only conclude it is widespread that BLM is seen as a hard left movement to oppose reasonable people.

2 The officer who killed Dalian Atkinson has been charged. He has not yet faced trial. I would say his death was as a result of institutional racism at the very least.

3 1984 did not eradicate anything only made it subversive. But that is a side argument. "We are in a good place compared to the majority of the former Eastern block and that's just close to home". There we go again. Let's justify it by it could be worse.

Perhaps you should take a step back and look at your own comments and wonder why many see you as racist.

You may think my last comment was incorrect. It would nice to see some evidence rather than feelings of people who are clearly right of centre in their political outlook as all evidence points that we have done.

in terms of point 2 an individual officer being accused of a criminal offence doesn't prove institutional racism. nationally the death in custody by race data closely matches the arrests by race data

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 19:49 - Jun 21 with 2284 viewshampstead_blue

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 19:20 - Jun 21 by vapour_trail

Alright Hampstead.

That’s not how my black mate at work sees it.

And FWIW, I think your ‘sucking on BLM propaganda chews’ remark, pretty distasteful and inappropriate.

I’m sure you didn’t intend it that way.

My comment about the chews was meant in a light hearted manner. I'm sorry if that's not come across. No offence meant.

I agree that racism exists. A friend of ours, black, told me of what happened to her in the 80/90/00 in London and I almost cried.
I've also seen it in the Army in the early 90's.

It's here and I agree we do need to do whatever we can to eradicate it.

I just don't see what will be gained by hacking off people by tearing down statues and denigrating war memorials.
Our history is cast in stone. We cannot change it nor should we spend our lives apologising for it. The decisions taken then where in a different context, world, views, the whole gambit was different. I do get tired of firms and people feeling the need to apologise and kick themselves for the decisions made a very long time ago.

That won't change anything.

Again, I really didn't mean to offend.

Assumption is to make an ass out of you and me. Those who assume they know you, when they don't are just guessing. Those who assume and insist they know are daft and in denial. Those who assume, insist, and deny the truth are plain stupid. Those who assume, insist, deny the truth and tell YOU they know you (when they don't) have an IQ in the range of 35-49.
Poll: Best Blackpool goal

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 19:58 - Jun 21 with 2244 viewsSpruceMoose

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 19:49 - Jun 21 by hampstead_blue

My comment about the chews was meant in a light hearted manner. I'm sorry if that's not come across. No offence meant.

I agree that racism exists. A friend of ours, black, told me of what happened to her in the 80/90/00 in London and I almost cried.

I just don't see what will be gained by hacking off people by tearing down statues and denigrating war memorials.
Our history is cast in stone. We cannot change it nor should we spend our lives apologising for it. The decisions taken then where in a different context, world, views, the whole gambit was different. I do get tired of firms and people feeling the need to apologise and kick themselves for the decisions made a very long time ago.

Ask your black mate how she feels about decades of unobtrusive protests going ignored.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 20:16 - Jun 21 with 2181 viewsvapour_trail

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 19:49 - Jun 21 by hampstead_blue

None taken here but cheers.

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 20:33 - Jun 21 with 2127 viewsNthsuffolkblue

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 19:35 - Jun 21 by lowhouseblue

in terms of point 2 an individual officer being accused of a criminal offence doesn't prove institutional racism. nationally the death in custody by race data closely matches the arrests by race data

The institutional racism is what leads to individual officers over-reacting when faced with a non-compliant black man in a way they do not appear to when faced with a non-compliant white man. If you need more evidence, there are plenty of cases. After Stephen Lawrence's murder was not properly investigated an official inquiry declared the met police to be institutionally racist. I do not see sufficient evidence that has changed.

It does not mean every police officer is racist, far from it. But there is too much racist practice that goes on unchallenged. If one thing is learnt from this, please can every decent human being take a stand when they see it and not stay silent.

According to comments I read BLM is a "hard left" movement on 20:35 - Jun 21 with 2122 viewsDubtractor

This was why brexit annoyed me so much. In or out of Europe I can deal with, but the way that the vote was courted and won stirred all of this up. It legitimised the sort of crap that people now feel confident to spout online, or in real life.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024