Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Disappointed Thread 22:11 - Jun 21 with 3176 viewsPhilTWTD

Think that lengthy thread has talked itself out now - and been locked - and thought it might be worth drawing some conclusions from it going forward.

One theme which came out of it was tolerance towards other posters and I certainly think the forum could do with greater civility at times, and certainly less name-calling.

However, it's worth noting that the OP was picked up on repeating the 'all lives matter' slur in a BLM thread, which I think was absolutely right. Same with those challenging some of the comments in the McGoldrick story (I've removed the worst of them). I wouldn't want to run a site where that sort of thing wasn't challenged or reported.

As a couple of people posted, being tolerant doesn't extend to being accepting of intolerance.

I'm sure others have their own thoughts about it.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Disappointed Thread on 22:13 - Jun 21 with 2485 viewsSpruceMoose

Well said Phil. You do a difficult and relentless job with great tact and fairness.

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."
Poll: Selectamod

Disappointed Thread on 22:19 - Jun 21 with 2453 viewsOldsmoker

Watch and learn Zuckerberg.
That's how you do it.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Disappointed Thread on 22:21 - Jun 21 with 2434 viewsSwailsey

x

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

Disappointed Thread on 22:23 - Jun 21 with 2430 viewsRyorry

Strikes me that sometimes people find it easy to be abusive because they simply don't personally know the other people involved in debates, as happens with road rage.

They'd not be so quick to insult (except in a bantz kind of way), and would make more effort to understand before jumping in with a reacton, those they'd actually met and got on with. That's the internet & forums of course, but if everyone could just carry that thought for an extra 2 secs before writing & pressing 'reply', it might make a lot of difference.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Disappointed Thread on 22:25 - Jun 21 with 2395 views26_Paz

I hit the down vote by accident, was trying to hit the up vote, apologies. Totally agree with all sentiments.

The Paz Man

Disappointed Thread on 22:35 - Jun 21 with 2337 viewsChutney

Completely agree, and respect you following up with this thread.

FWIW I don't believe, and certainly hope nobody was defending the OP, who was rightly called out. It seems to me there's a general frustration at some of the usual suspects which you rightly reference, so hopefully that thread is a force for positive change and an opportunity for everyone to consider how they treat others on here.

You have a tough job keeping such things in check, and your efforts are appreciated.
Disappointed Thread on 22:37 - Jun 21 with 2321 viewsfooters

Disappointed Thread on 22:23 - Jun 21 by Ryorry

Strikes me that sometimes people find it easy to be abusive because they simply don't personally know the other people involved in debates, as happens with road rage.

They'd not be so quick to insult (except in a bantz kind of way), and would make more effort to understand before jumping in with a reacton, those they'd actually met and got on with. That's the internet & forums of course, but if everyone could just carry that thought for an extra 2 secs before writing & pressing 'reply', it might make a lot of difference.

That and taking the time to read threads fully before commenting. Might help things. Who knows.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Disappointed Thread on 22:38 - Jun 21 with 2316 viewssyntaxerror

I hope there were some positives towards the end of it :)

Thanks for all you do. Its a tough time on the wild west of the internet right now.
Login to get fewer ads

Disappointed Thread on 22:39 - Jun 21 with 2305 viewsvapour_trail

Disappointed Thread on 22:25 - Jun 21 by 26_Paz

I hit the down vote by accident, was trying to hit the up vote, apologies. Totally agree with all sentiments.

Ha, quality work there, Paz!

Trailing vapour since 1999.
Poll: Should Gav and Phil limiti the number of polls?

Disappointed Thread on 22:41 - Jun 21 with 2297 viewsHerbivore

Disappointed Thread on 22:35 - Jun 21 by Chutney

FWIW I don't believe, and certainly hope nobody was defending the OP, who was rightly called out. It seems to me there's a general frustration at some of the usual suspects which you rightly reference, so hopefully that thread is a force for positive change and an opportunity for everyone to consider how they treat others on here.

You have a tough job keeping such things in check, and your efforts are appreciated.

Actually people did both agree with and defend the OP in that thread. But you have consistently been siding against those that called the OP out in both threads. I'm not going to engage with you further on this because I don't want this thread to go the same way as the last one, but it's important that we're accurate about who has said and supported what.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Disappointed Thread on 22:42 - Jun 21 with 2276 viewsSpruceMoose

Disappointed Thread on 22:35 - Jun 21 by Chutney

You're right, let's hope posters make the effort to reconsider how they treat others.

But there were actually people defending him. They just didn't know what they were defending.

People jumped in and started complaining about him being bullied without first establishing what he had done. That's hugely problematic because I'm sure the vast majority of them wouldn't intentionally defend a bigot.

So the lesson for us all there is to make sure you know what's going on before mounting your high horse, don't be steered by old animosity, and read the thread before commenting - because if not you might end up accidentally trying to defend the indefensible.
[Post edited 21 Jun 2020 22:46]

Pronouns: He/Him/His. "Imagine being a heterosexual white male in Britain at this moment. How bad is that. Everything you say is racist, everything you say is homophobic. The Woke community have really f****d this country."

Disappointed Thread on 22:48 - Jun 21 with 2251 viewsChutney

Disappointed Thread on 22:42 - Jun 21 by SpruceMoose

You're right, let's hope posters make the effort to reconsider how they treat others.

But there were actually people defending him. They just didn't know what they were defending.

People jumped in and started complaining about him being bullied without first establishing what he had done. That's hugely problematic because I'm sure the vast majority of them wouldn't intentionally defend a bigot.

So the lesson for us all there is to make sure you know what's going on before mounting your high horse, don't be steered by old animosity, and read the thread before commenting - because if not you might end up accidentally trying to defend the indefensible.
[Post edited 21 Jun 2020 22:46]

There's no defending certain things, and I will always be the first to support such views being called out for what they are. It seems to me however that the previous thread presented an opportunity for some to air some wider issues with the site, and certain posters. It's regrettable if that was deemed to be a defence of the OP as certainly that wasn't my intention or contribution.

As you say, hopefully people reconsider how they engage on here.

Good night.
Disappointed Thread on 22:53 - Jun 21 with 2232 viewsfactual_blue

Disappointed Thread on 22:13 - Jun 21 by SpruceMoose

Well said Phil. You do a difficult and relentless job with great tact and fairness.

SUQ

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Disappointed Thread on 22:53 - Jun 21 with 2229 viewsBluefish

Seemed like they were just being nosey, nothing sinister

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Disappointed Thread on 23:05 - Jun 21 with 2181 viewsOldsmoker

I agree with all of you who have said read the OP and the thread before replying.
So, Let's try that shall we.
It says "Disappointed Thread" NOT "Disappointed Thread continued"

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Disappointed Thread on 23:11 - Jun 21 with 2153 viewsBluefish

Disappointed Thread on 23:05 - Jun 21 by Oldsmoker

I agree with all of you who have said read the OP and the thread before replying.
So, Let's try that shall we.
It says "Disappointed Thread" NOT "Disappointed Thread continued"

probably should say disappointing thread though

Just saying pal calm down

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Disappointed Thread on 23:11 - Jun 21 with 2144 viewsChutney

Disappointed Thread on 23:11 - Jun 21 by Bluefish

probably should say disappointing thread though

Just saying pal calm down

LAMBERT IN
Disappointed Thread on 23:16 - Jun 21 with 2118 viewsSpruceMoose

Disappointed Thread on 23:11 - Jun 21 by Chutney

LAMBERT IN

Disappointed Thread on 23:24 - Jun 21 with 2111 viewsTrequartista

Disappointed Thread on 22:37 - Jun 21 by footers

That and taking the time to read threads fully before commenting. Might help things. Who knows.

Here we go again. Seems like you haven't read the op at all.

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Disappointed Thread on 23:32 - Jun 21 with 2057 viewsfactual_blue

Disappointed Thread on 23:24 - Jun 21 by Trequartista

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Disappointed Thread on 23:42 - Jun 21 with 1990 viewsPhilTWTD

Disappointed Thread on 23:24 - Jun 21 by Trequartista

I don't think it's entirely unfair for posters to read what a thread is about before commenting on it.
Disappointed Thread on 23:44 - Jun 21 with 1968 viewsSpruceMoose

Disappointed Thread on 23:42 - Jun 21 by PhilTWTD

I don't think it's entirely unfair for posters to read what a thread is about before commenting on it.

Edit - thank you Phil. Much obliged.
[Post edited 21 Jun 2020 23:47]

Disappointed Thread on 23:47 - Jun 21 with 1947 viewsPhilTWTD

Re removed posts, not really in tune with the intended mood of this thread. Enough sniping for one day.
Disappointed Thread on 23:47 - Jun 21 with 1934 viewsRyorry

My second thought is that it's just as well you hadn't any hair left on your pate anyway Phil or you'd be in some pain right now.

To everyone else - will you please just remember the poor mods!!

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Disappointed Thread on 23:49 - Jun 21 with 1933 viewsSpruceMoose

Disappointed Thread on 23:47 - Jun 21 by PhilTWTD

Re removed posts, not really in tune with the intended mood of this thread. Enough sniping for one day.

I'll repeat this for those who need to take it on board.

Disappointed Thread by SpruceMoose 21 Jun 2020 22:13

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024