Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Upper-mid table Championship to Upper-mid table League One in 3 seasons. 21:09 - Jun 22 with 2575 viewsMercian

I wanted Mick to go, I regret that now. It's like Stoke under Pulis. Both sets of fans wanted them out, both clubs are in steep decline.
[Post edited 22 Jun 2020 21:12]
Upper-mid table Championship to Upper-mid table League One in 3 seasons. on 21:42 - Jun 22 with 2263 viewsRegencyBlue

MM did a good job keeping us up with limited resources but it was awful to watch and the wheels were starting to come off at the end anyway.

Under Evans whoever our manager is irrelevant. It’s been close on to thirteen years of relentless decline under his ownership and it was always going to catch up with us. Hurst accelerated the decline but we would have ended up in League 1 anyway because you cannot run a football club like this and get away with it forever.

The worry now of course is just how far this decline continues. Personally I don’t think we’ve bottomed out yet!
Upper-mid table Championship to Upper-mid table League One in 3 seasons. on 11:42 - Jun 23 with 2047 viewsBlueBadger

Upper-mid table Championship to Upper-mid table League One in 3 seasons. on 21:42 - Jun 22 by RegencyBlue

MM did a good job keeping us up with limited resources but it was awful to watch and the wheels were starting to come off at the end anyway.

Under Evans whoever our manager is irrelevant. It’s been close on to thirteen years of relentless decline under his ownership and it was always going to catch up with us. Hurst accelerated the decline but we would have ended up in League 1 anyway because you cannot run a football club like this and get away with it forever.

The worry now of course is just how far this decline continues. Personally I don’t think we’ve bottomed out yet!

Ah, good old TWTD History Rewrites again. We'd finished top-halfof the table, above Norwich in Mick's final season.

The Football Was Better when we were getting limply relegated though.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Upper-mid table Championship to Upper-mid table League One in 3 seasons. on 11:52 - Jun 23 with 2033 viewspatrickswell

Upper-mid table Championship to Upper-mid table League One in 3 seasons. on 11:42 - Jun 23 by BlueBadger

Ah, good old TWTD History Rewrites again. We'd finished top-halfof the table, above Norwich in Mick's final season.

Can anyone who went to more games than I did in Mick's last season confirm whether The Football Was Indeed Better, at least until all the creative midfielders were out injured for the season? (Roughly just after Christmas 2017).
Upper-mid table Championship to Upper-mid table League One in 3 seasons. on 12:00 - Jun 23 with 2021 viewsSwansea_Blue

Upper-mid table Championship to Upper-mid table League One in 3 seasons. on 11:42 - Jun 23 by BlueBadger

Hard to argue the relationship between Mick and the fans hadn't broken down by the end. The last 6 months was poisonous and painful; I don't think there was a way for him to continue no matter how much some would have wanted him to (and that includes Evans).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Upper-mid table Championship to Upper-mid table League One in 3 seasons. on 13:51 - Jun 23 with 1928 viewsRadlett_blue

Upper-mid table Championship to Upper-mid table League One in 3 seasons. on 12:00 - Jun 23 by Swansea_Blue

Hard to argue the relationship between Mick and the fans hadn't broken down by the end. The last 6 months was poisonous and painful; I don't think there was a way for him to continue no matter how much some would have wanted him to (and that includes Evans).

Indeed, the mistake wasn't letting Mick go at the end of his contract, it was appointing Hurst & letting him to replace some of our best players with a bunch of dubious League One players, none of whom have looked anything special even at that level.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Upper-mid table Championship to Upper-mid table League One in 3 seasons. on 13:52 - Jun 23 with 1924 viewsBlueBadger

Upper-mid table Championship to Upper-mid table League One in 3 seasons. on 12:00 - Jun 23 by Swansea_Blue

Oh yeah, it was definitely his time. But this whole 'Mick was relegating us' thing is plain wrong.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Upper-mid table Championship to Upper-mid table League One in 3 seasons. on 14:21 - Jun 23 with 1903 viewsArnieM

I don’t regret McCarthy getting the boot one little bit. In many ways he wasted his near 6 years at this Club. He papered over the cracks , no, chasms at this club. He did nothing to rebuild the Club from the bottom up ( which was / is ) required. At least Lambert is Trying to do this.
McCarthy was for an easy life . Don’t forget Didsy said nothing was ever expected of them. This has gone on for far too long at this Club . Hurst came in and tried the stick approach. Players rebelled . Hurst got the sack .

But that doesn’t mean he wasn’t right to chalks he the prima donas at the Club. Some definitely didn’t like being called out did they. Hurst certainly wasnt having any ig this “ proper blokes” club. Unfortunately his methods left a lot to be desired and McCarthys “ comfortable zone “ probably still exists and partly why Lambert came unstuck last season I think , trying to be all things to all players. Players simply don’t respect you if you do this . It ( for me ), explains his use of this rotation system. Far too many players in the squad and he’s tried to please everyone . Even Mick Mills raised thus point and critiqued it.

If Lambert is to take us up this coming season he has to change this approach, trim the squad and stick to a settled side and way of playing. As an aside , hud Norwich team that went up rarely changed its diamond formation and players In the team. Yes I know Culverhouse was his assistant but Lambert was the “ manager”. If Lambert doesn’t show signs of fundamental change then I think he will be gone by Christmas.

Edit: Herbivore , Bloots . Why the down arrows? Aren’t you two adult or man enough to allow someone else to voice an opinion or view.? And don’t you have the balls to enter into a discussion about it ?

Apologies Herb, I hadn’t seen your reply below. Thank you for that. Bloots, never mind, I’m clearly expecting far too much from you .
[Post edited 23 Jun 2020 19:05]

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Upper-mid table Championship to Upper-mid table League One in 3 seasons. on 14:27 - Jun 23 with 1891 viewspointofblue

Upper-mid table Championship to Upper-mid table League One in 3 seasons. on 13:52 - Jun 23 by BlueBadger

Oh yeah, it was definitely his time. But this whole 'Mick was relegating us' thing is plain wrong.

I don’t think it’s a case that Mick was relegating us but the lack of funding and the subsequent growing gap means that he would have been fighting more and more of a rearguard action, even if he had stayed at the club.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Login to get fewer ads

Upper-mid table Championship to Upper-mid table League One in 3 seasons. on 17:06 - Jun 23 with 1807 viewsRadlett_blue

Upper-mid table Championship to Upper-mid table League One in 3 seasons. on 14:21 - Jun 23 by ArnieM

I don’t regret McCarthy getting the boot one little bit. In many ways he wasted his near 6 years at this Club. He papered over the cracks , no, chasms at this club. He did nothing to rebuild the Club from the bottom up ( which was / is ) required. At least Lambert is Trying to do this.
McCarthy was for an easy life . Don’t forget Didsy said nothing was ever expected of them. This has gone on for far too long at this Club . Hurst came in and tried the stick approach. Players rebelled . Hurst got the sack .

But that doesn’t mean he wasn’t right to chalks he the prima donas at the Club. Some definitely didn’t like being called out did they. Hurst certainly wasnt having any ig this “ proper blokes” club. Unfortunately his methods left a lot to be desired and McCarthys “ comfortable zone “ probably still exists and partly why Lambert came unstuck last season I think , trying to be all things to all players. Players simply don’t respect you if you do this . It ( for me ), explains his use of this rotation system. Far too many players in the squad and he’s tried to please everyone . Even Mick Mills raised thus point and critiqued it.

If Lambert is to take us up this coming season he has to change this approach, trim the squad and stick to a settled side and way of playing. As an aside , hud Norwich team that went up rarely changed its diamond formation and players In the team. Yes I know Culverhouse was his assistant but Lambert was the “ manager”. If Lambert doesn’t show signs of fundamental change then I think he will be gone by Christmas.

Edit: Herbivore , Bloots . Why the down arrows? Aren’t you two adult or man enough to allow someone else to voice an opinion or view.? And don’t you have the balls to enter into a discussion about it ?

Apologies Herb, I hadn’t seen your reply below. Thank you for that. Bloots, never mind, I’m clearly expecting far too much from you .

Mick's tenure was notable for its short termism, but that was very necessary with Town sliding towards Div 3. He stabilised us & improved the league position each year, largely through some shrewd signings & establishing a settled team.
I don't really get all this "rebuilding the club from the bottom up" thing. What actual evidence is there that Lambert is doing any of this, however good a game he talks? Evans's style has always been to let his managers manage, so who's to say it won't be another clear out when Lambert goes?
Yes, our squad is absolutely huge, with around 40 professionals under contract for next season. Lambert's biggest weakness has been his inability to choose a settled team & formation & I have little confidence he's going to do much better next season, but another clear-out seems an even worse prospect.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Upper-mid table Championship to Upper-mid table League One in 3 seasons. on 17:19 - Jun 23 with 1791 viewsHerbivore

Upper-mid table Championship to Upper-mid table League One in 3 seasons. on 14:21 - Jun 23 by ArnieM

This post seems really massively detached from reality. Prima donna players? At Ipswich? Blaming the players rather than Hurst or Lambert for them clearly being bloody hopeless football managers? Crediting Lambert whilst giving Mccarthy zero credit? It's like something out of a parallel universe for me. Sorry, Arnie.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

What a load of old tosh. (n/t) on 17:20 - Jun 23 with 1784 viewsBloots

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

Upper-mid table Championship to Upper-mid table League One in 3 seasons. on 17:25 - Jun 23 with 1776 viewsSwansea_Blue

Upper-mid table Championship to Upper-mid table League One in 3 seasons. on 13:52 - Jun 23 by BlueBadger

Agreed. He just bored us. Now I fully accept some people were ok with that. And in hindsight, it probably is better to be bored in the Championship than be bored in L1.

What a time to be a Towen fan

Upper-mid table Championship to Upper-mid table League One in 3 seasons. on 17:33 - Jun 23 with 1762 viewsPJH

Upper-mid table Championship to Upper-mid table League One in 3 seasons. on 17:25 - Jun 23 by Swansea_Blue

Agreed. He just bored us. Now I fully accept some people were ok with that. And in hindsight, it probably is better to be bored in the Championship than be bored in L1.

What a time to be a Towen fan

I would not think that there is any doubt that it was/would be better being bored in The Championship than being bored in L1.

I certainly wish that the clock could be turned back about two and a quarter years so far as ITFC are concerned because there has not been much good happen here in that time-on the pitch anyway.
Upper-mid table Championship to Upper-mid table League One in 3 seasons. on 17:38 - Jun 23 with 1755 viewsSwansea_Blue

Upper-mid table Championship to Upper-mid table League One in 3 seasons. on 17:33 - Jun 23 by PJH

I would not think that there is any doubt that it was/would be better being bored in The Championship than being bored in L1.

I certainly wish that the clock could be turned back about two and a quarter years so far as ITFC are concerned because there has not been much good happen here in that time-on the pitch anyway.

I'm doubting we'll ever see the like of the 2000 team again, let alone the SBR's. But you never know....

Upper-mid table Championship to Upper-mid table League One in 3 seasons. on 17:41 - Jun 23 with 1750 viewsPJH

Upper-mid table Championship to Upper-mid table League One in 3 seasons. on 17:38 - Jun 23 by Swansea_Blue

I'm doubting we'll ever see the like of the 2000 team again, let alone the SBR's. But you never know....

I said two and a quarter years-the last time that ITFC had a good manager.

I was not talking about 2000 or earlier.
Upper-mid table Championship to Upper-mid table League One in 3 seasons. on 18:31 - Jun 23 with 1693 viewsArnieM

Upper-mid table Championship to Upper-mid table League One in 3 seasons. on 17:19 - Jun 23 by Herbivore

This post seems really massively detached from reality. Prima donna players? At Ipswich? Blaming the players rather than Hurst or Lambert for them clearly being bloody hopeless football managers? Crediting Lambert whilst giving Mccarthy zero credit? It's like something out of a parallel universe for me. Sorry, Arnie.

Knudsen and Bart are two examples of prima donas. Yes they really do exist at Ipswich. Both were by all accounts taken down a peg or two on their return from the World cup , when all of a sudden Town weren’t good enough. They both left in the end . One even thought he had numerous clubs after him and that he “would need to review his position at this Club “.
We still have prima donas at the Club. Judge being a good example .

I wasn’t saying Hurst or Lambert were good managers . I’ve said Hursts approach was all wrong . He tried to do everything at once . He was a bully boy. Lambert has tried to reconnect the Club with its fan base. These I think are facts , no?

McCarthy was excellent when he first arrived . He did Sterling job for 2-3 seasons. Stabilised is made us hard to beat etc etc . But there ones a tone when you have to try a build something , after 5,6 years it was apparent he had no intention or no capability to go so . When fans started to criticise his methods he became abusive, arrogant . I don’t agree with the thugs that whipped up a frenzy of hatred against him at the away Brentford game , certainly not . But if not agreeing with how these managers do things is deemed “not in touch with reality or living in a parallel universe “, then we’re in for a difficult time ahead at this Club .

Upper-mid table Championship to Upper-mid table League One in 3 seasons. on 18:48 - Jun 23 with 1679 viewsArnieM

Upper-mid table Championship to Upper-mid table League One in 3 seasons. on 17:06 - Jun 23 by Radlett_blue

Mick's tenure was notable for its short termism, but that was very necessary with Town sliding towards Div 3. He stabilised us & improved the league position each year, largely through some shrewd signings & establishing a settled team.
I don't really get all this "rebuilding the club from the bottom up" thing. What actual evidence is there that Lambert is doing any of this, however good a game he talks? Evans's style has always been to let his managers manage, so who's to say it won't be another clear out when Lambert goes?
Yes, our squad is absolutely huge, with around 40 professionals under contract for next season. Lambert's biggest weakness has been his inability to choose a settled team & formation & I have little confidence he's going to do much better next season, but another clear-out seems an even worse prospect.

I don’t think we can judge Lambert just yet ( even though he monumentally cocked up this season ). He’s not been here anywhere long enough I feel.

I do agree there is a big element of doubt that he will show the acumen required to change what he did this season. For some reason he appears to lack the ability to make a decisive decision and stick with it, which does worry me. He can’t be held responsible for what he inherited from Hurst. But what he IS responsible for was not reducing the ridiculous squad size, ( mistake #1). This led I feel to him making use of a rotation system,(mistake #2), He didn’t need to do that even though he had a big squad. But he appeared to be trying to please all the players , by giving them a game ,( mistake #3).

The squad does need to be trimmed substantially but if done correctly it’s doesn’t have to resemble a no holds barred clear out.

It’s a difficult one for the owner . Stick or twist? I’d personally want to see hiss we he approaches the first half of the coming season . If there’s signs of minimal change to the squad , and changing of the team selection from game to game like he did last season then that might signal he’s not up to it .

As for signs of changes from the bottom up , well we shall get a good indication of that by the number of youngsters in the first team squad in pre season ( if there is one ) . I’d like to think we are about to embark - finally - upon the new era we’ve all prayed for . I hope I’m not disappointed .

Upper-mid table Championship to Upper-mid table League One in 3 seasons. on 20:05 - Jun 23 with 1613 viewspatrickswell

Upper-mid table Championship to Upper-mid table League One in 3 seasons. on 18:31 - Jun 23 by ArnieM

Knudsen and Bart are two examples of prima donas. Yes they really do exist at Ipswich. Both were by all accounts taken down a peg or two on their return from the World cup , when all of a sudden Town weren’t good enough. They both left in the end . One even thought he had numerous clubs after him and that he “would need to review his position at this Club “.

I wasn’t saying Hurst or Lambert were good managers . I’ve said Hursts approach was all wrong . He tried to do everything at once . He was a bully boy. Lambert has tried to reconnect the Club with its fan base. These I think are facts , no?

McCarthy was excellent when he first arrived . He did Sterling job for 2-3 seasons. Stabilised is made us hard to beat etc etc . But there ones a tone when you have to try a build something , after 5,6 years it was apparent he had no intention or no capability to go so . When fans started to criticise his methods he became abusive, arrogant . I don’t agree with the thugs that whipped up a frenzy of hatred against him at the away Brentford game , certainly not . But if not agreeing with how these managers do things is deemed “not in touch with reality or living in a parallel universe “, then we’re in for a difficult time ahead at this Club .

McCarthy did try and build something. He had a very decent core team and was trying to bring young players through, but the injuries picked up by the likes of Bishop and Dozzell and even remembering the smaller injuries suffered by Downes and Nydam frustrated that.
Upper-mid table Championship to Upper-mid table League One in 3 seasons. on 20:06 - Jun 23 with 1611 viewsHerbivore

Upper-mid table Championship to Upper-mid table League One in 3 seasons. on 18:31 - Jun 23 by ArnieM

I wouldn't describe Knudsen or Bart as being a prima donna, have to agree to disagree on that one mate.

Think you're being a bit generous towards Lambert in this post and your other one. He said some nice things and got the fans on side briefly but that's already turned sour as it turns out he's a hopeless football manager. Decent enough guy but can't do the basics of his job right. For all that you're too generous to Lambert, you're too harsh on Mick in my opinion. Agree to disagree though mate.

Upper-mid table Championship to Upper-mid table League One in 3 seasons. on 20:20 - Jun 23 with 1569 viewsDarth_Koont

Upper-mid table Championship to Upper-mid table League One in 3 seasons. on 21:42 - Jun 22 by RegencyBlue

It wasn't that bad to watch. It's not what we aspire to but that's because we were fighting.

It's certainly a lot better than what went before and since.

Pronouns: He/Him

Upper-mid table Championship to Upper-mid table League One in 3 seasons. on 22:31 - Jun 23 with 1475 viewsunstableblue

Upper-mid table Championship to Upper-mid table League One in 3 seasons. on 20:20 - Jun 23 by Darth_Koont

It wasn't that bad to watch. It's not what we aspire to but that's because we were fighting.

It's certainly a lot better than what went before and since.

Darth, it really really was that bad to watch.

Not in his best season, where we had a lot more intent going forward, albeit we were still regularly played off the pitch and shown what pass and move is by 'lower' teams.

Then it started to deteriorate, in part because Marcus didn't fund him, but also because Mick retrenched and there just wasn't the pass/move first philosophy. Now there is a strong argument to say he was right to go insular, but by then fans we were leaving in their droves, and it went toxic. I remember some neighbours of my mum, both pensioner ladies, been going for decades, and they gave up their season tickets! "its just no fun to watch"... and it really wasn't

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Upper-mid table Championship to Upper-mid table League One in 3 seasons. on 23:29 - Jun 23 with 1426 viewsHerbivore

Upper-mid table Championship to Upper-mid table League One in 3 seasons. on 22:31 - Jun 23 by unstableblue

Darth, it really really was that bad to watch.

Not in his best season, where we had a lot more intent going forward, albeit we were still regularly played off the pitch and shown what pass and move is by 'lower' teams.

Then it started to deteriorate, in part because Marcus didn't fund him, but also because Mick retrenched and there just wasn't the pass/move first philosophy. Now there is a strong argument to say he was right to go insular, but by then fans we were leaving in their droves, and it went toxic. I remember some neighbours of my mum, both pensioner ladies, been going for decades, and they gave up their season tickets! "its just no fun to watch"... and it really wasn't

It was, though, better than what we've had to endure since.

Upper-mid table Championship to Upper-mid table League One in 3 seasons. on 00:11 - Jun 24 with 1400 viewspointofblue

Upper-mid table Championship to Upper-mid table League One in 3 seasons. on 23:29 - Jun 23 by Herbivore

It was, though, better than what we've had to endure since.

We were holding our own in a better division but the standard of football was dire.

The final turning point was the 5-1 reverse at Reading in 2015/2016. We didn't deserve to lose, let alone by that scoreline, yet we seemed to go back in our shells after that as we were playing some expansive football. We've never recovered in terms of performance.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

Upper-mid table Championship to Upper-mid table League One in 3 seasons. on 08:03 - Jun 24 with 1316 viewsHerbivore

Upper-mid table Championship to Upper-mid table League One in 3 seasons. on 00:11 - Jun 24 by pointofblue

We were holding our own in a better division but the standard of football was dire.

The final turning point was the 5-1 reverse at Reading in 2015/2016. We didn't deserve to lose, let alone by that scoreline, yet we seemed to go back in our shells after that as we were playing some expansive football. We've never recovered in terms of performance.

We're now holding our own in a worse division playing worse football though.

And in Mick's last season there were several very entertaining performances. Millwall away, Sunderland at home, Forest at home, Sheffield Wednesday at home. I'm sure there were others but those ones immediately jump to mind. Hell, even in our worst season under Mick we still had moments like the 3-1 win over Newcastle where we played some good stuff, we had a few good early season performances that season too. I'd crawl over broken glass to see a performance like that after the toss of the last two seasons.

Ultimately the good performances weren't often enough and it turned sour, but we've traded it for worse football and far worse results and midtable in the third division. And yet still a section of our fan base rabidly refuse to acknowledge the good job Mick did here. It's mad.

Upper-mid table Championship to Upper-mid table League One in 3 seasons. on 08:06 - Jun 24 with 1309 viewsBluefish

I have a quick question.....why are numbskulls so touchy?
[Post edited 24 Jun 2020 8:11]

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024