Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Local Football Question 19:14 - Jun 23 with 779 viewssitocastro

Hi All.

A colleague has just asked and to be honest we don't know the answer.

Local football why are some clubs under reserve called the 'A' team and what does it stand for?. For example

Ipswich Valley Rangers First Team
Ipswich Valley Rangers Reserve Team
Ipswich Valley Rangers 'A' Team
Local Football Question on 19:26 - Jun 23 with 738 viewsShawsey

They would be the C team otherwise and nobody wants to play for the C's. Play in, but not for.
Local Football Question on 19:31 - Jun 23 with 736 viewshoppy

The trouble often is with getting enough that will play for the A Team, that if no one else can help, and if you can find them, then some clubs have one.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Local Football Question on 19:41 - Jun 23 with 706 viewsClapham_Junction

Professional clubs used to have 'A' teams that were a mix of their best youngsters and players that didn't make the reserve team. The 'A' teams of Town, Norwich, Arsenal, Spurs and West Ham all used to play in the Thurlow Nunn league (as, bizarrely, did Gillingham reserves). I seem to recall being told that the London-based 'A' teams played all matches away from home.
Local Football Question on 21:31 - Jun 23 with 598 viewsC_HealyIsAPleasure

I think it is as simple as being the first letter of the alphabet

Going back as little as 10 years there were a lot of local clubs with B and C teams in the league - the SIL ran to 7 divisions + intermediates when I started playing (and expect someone will tell me there were even more before then too!). Unfortunately the number of teams has dropped in recent years with interest in playing slowly drying up - mumble groan FIFA grumble grumble

Highlighting crass stupidity since sometime around 2010
Poll: Would you want Messi to sign?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024