Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Golf 09:20 - Jun 24 with 5202 viewshomer_123

A good walk ruined or a challenging and sometimes rewarding outdoor pastime.

Anyone else have a love/hate relationship with said game?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Golf on 09:24 - Jun 24 with 2116 viewsJakeITFC

I love it, and am playing every other day atm.

Frustrating as hell but worth it when it all comes together.
Golf on 09:40 - Jun 24 with 2067 viewsAce_High1

Trying to play and get into it but with every game I actually get worse. Can't work out what I am doing so wrong!

Any tips?
Golf on 09:50 - Jun 24 with 2051 viewsartsbossbeard

Golf on 09:40 - Jun 24 by Ace_High1

Trying to play and get into it but with every game I actually get worse. Can't work out what I am doing so wrong!

Any tips?

Have lessons. Honestly, it's the only way.

Please note: prior to hitting the post button, I've double checked for anything that could be construed as "Anti Semitic" and to the best of my knowledge it isn't. Anything deemed to be of a Xenophobic nature is therefore purely accidental or down to your own misconstruing.
Poll: Raining in IP8 - shall I get the washing in?

Golf on 10:32 - Jun 24 with 2012 viewsEdwardStone

I won't play anymore since my former golfing partner completely spoiled it for me

He dropped dead on the 4th....completely ruined my game

Play a shot, drag the body, play a shot, drag the body
Golf on 10:33 - Jun 24 with 2004 viewslinhdi

Golf on 09:50 - Jun 24 by artsbossbeard

Have lessons. Honestly, it's the only way.

I tried. I failed. Took a series of lessons on two separate occasions, but it requires some kind of coordination that I just don't have.

Strange, since, as a teenager, I was pretty good around a pitch-and-putt course. But it didn't translate!

Luckily, I'm still pretty good at Crazy Golf. Mostly due to a highly misspent summer or three in Skegness in the early 80s.
Golf on 11:09 - Jun 24 with 1965 viewsSwansea_Blue

Man wakes up in hospital with a broken nose, two black eyes and a golf club wrapped around his neck.

Doc asks - you look like you've been in the wars, what's gone here then?

Man looks confused and replies - 'I'm not really sure Doc. I was teeing off the ninth with my wife when she sliced the ball into an adjacent field full of cows. I went over to help her look for it and after a lot of searching I saw what looked like a ball amazingly wedged in a cow's backside. The last thing I remember was pointing to the ball in the cow's arse and saying to the wife 'hey dear, look over here, this one looks like yours'.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Golf on 12:19 - Jun 24 with 1907 viewsBlueBadger

Golf is the Nigel Farage of sport.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Golf on 12:25 - Jun 24 with 1904 viewsKeno

Any tips?

I am reminded of a reply to fan by Lee Trevino = "yes I am take 8 shots off your next round, dont play the 9th and 10th holes"

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Login to get fewer ads

Golf on 12:26 - Jun 24 with 1897 viewsOldsmoker

Any tips?

Look up the word 'mulligan'.

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

Golf on 13:10 - Jun 24 with 1850 viewsIllinoisblue

Play with Junior at least once a week. He loves it. Great bonding time and an opportunity to talk about life.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Golf on 13:28 - Jun 24 with 1831 viewsHerbivore

I've never been able to get into it. Didn't mind pitch and putt as a kid but it's just not for me. A lot of men who golf seem to be 'lads' and I find that off-putting as well.

I'm glad you've referred to it as a passtime and a game, it makes me chuckle when people call it a sport.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Golf on 13:34 - Jun 24 with 1814 viewsjeera

It's supposed to be relaxing isn't it?

I only played once and it was far from relaxing for me or the people with me.

I mostly complained and swore all the way round.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Golf on 14:18 - Jun 24 with 1770 viewsEnigma_Blue

Golf on 13:28 - Jun 24 by Herbivore

I've never been able to get into it. Didn't mind pitch and putt as a kid but it's just not for me. A lot of men who golf seem to be 'lads' and I find that off-putting as well.

I'm glad you've referred to it as a passtime and a game, it makes me chuckle when people call it a sport.

How is it not a sport? At professional level fitness is extremely important in golf. That's not to mention the level of skill required to play the game well
[Post edited 24 Jun 2020 14:19]
Golf on 14:30 - Jun 24 with 1751 viewsHerbivore

Golf on 14:18 - Jun 24 by Enigma_Blue

How is it not a sport? At professional level fitness is extremely important in golf. That's not to mention the level of skill required to play the game well
[Post edited 24 Jun 2020 14:19]

Guys in their 40s and 50s can compete at the top level. Fitness isn't all that important. It's really a game or a passtime, like outdoor darts.

Golf on 14:42 - Jun 24 with 1734 viewsTerry_Nutkins

Golf on 14:30 - Jun 24 by Herbivore

Guys in their 40s and 50s can compete at the top level. Fitness isn't all that important. It's really a game or a passtime, like outdoor darts.

Guys in there 50s really can't perform at the top level. Very very few other than the absolute fittest/physical specimens win much in their 40s.

Not really sure why this would matter anyway in it's definition of 'sport'. It's entirely physical and requires a great deal of skill. It's a complete sport as it challenges physically, cognitively and mentally.

Still play football and golf but golf definitely causes more physical issues. It'a tough on the back, wrists etc if you have decent power and don't swing like and old man.

Poll: Genuine answers please on what you would choose next season!

Golf on 14:44 - Jun 24 with 1723 viewsEnigma_Blue

Golf on 14:30 - Jun 24 by Herbivore

It's not as important as some sports but it still plays an important role. The amount of miles professional golfers walk week after week they need a good level of fitness so they don't fatigue. Strength & flexibility is important for being able to hit the ball a long way.

As for players being able to compete in their 40s & 50s there are no players in the top 10 who are over the age of 40. No golfer has ever one a major in their 50s. Every now and again a player in their 40s is able to win a tournament or even a major but players in their 40s aren't able to compete week after week due to their declining fitness levels.

I agree with you re darts and snooker is another one that is more of a game than a sport.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2020 14:53]
Golf on 14:57 - Jun 24 with 1699 viewsHerbivore

Golf on 14:44 - Jun 24 by Enigma_Blue

It's not as important as some sports but it still plays an important role. The amount of miles professional golfers walk week after week they need a good level of fitness so they don't fatigue. Strength & flexibility is important for being able to hit the ball a long way.

As for players being able to compete in their 40s & 50s there are no players in the top 10 who are over the age of 40. No golfer has ever one a major in their 50s. Every now and again a player in their 40s is able to win a tournament or even a major but players in their 40s aren't able to compete week after week due to their declining fitness levels.

I agree with you re darts and snooker is another one that is more of a game than a sport.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2020 14:53]

Yeah golf is definitely in the bracket with snooker and darts as a game. When walking is considered one of the key physical attributes required to play I'm just not sure you can argue it requires professional levels of fitness. I mean, I remember Tom Watson coming within a shot of winning a Major when he was nearly 60 and he carried on making the cut in Majors into his 60s. Imagine getting a 60 year old Gary Lineker to play up front for England.

People always get quite sniffy about golf not really being a sport and I don't really understand why. Lots of things that aren't sports are still worthwhile. Golf for me will always be a passtime or a game.

Golf on 14:58 - Jun 24 with 1686 viewsRyorry

The only sports I hate are golf & motor racing - which happened to be the only ones my ex really liked.

Hence the divorce.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Golf on 15:01 - Jun 24 with 1689 viewsHerbivore

Golf on 14:58 - Jun 24 by Ryorry

The only sports I hate are golf & motor racing - which happened to be the only ones my ex really liked.

Hence the divorce.

Sounds like you made the right call.

Golf on 15:03 - Jun 24 with 1685 viewsclive_baker

Golf is a bit Marmite like that isn't it? People seem to love it, or have a weird hatred for something absolutely nobody is making anyone do.

Other than for me. I'm pretty ambivalent towards it myself. Played in the past but cant really be arsed with it. Don't get enough enjoyment from it to justify spending hours on it.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Golf on 15:12 - Jun 24 with 1664 viewsEnigma_Blue

Golf on 14:57 - Jun 24 by Herbivore

Yeah golf is definitely in the bracket with snooker and darts as a game. When walking is considered one of the key physical attributes required to play I'm just not sure you can argue it requires professional levels of fitness. I mean, I remember Tom Watson coming within a shot of winning a Major when he was nearly 60 and he carried on making the cut in Majors into his 60s. Imagine getting a 60 year old Gary Lineker to play up front for England.

People always get quite sniffy about golf not really being a sport and I don't really understand why. Lots of things that aren't sports are still worthwhile. Golf for me will always be a passtime or a game.

The thing with Tom Watson back then was he wasn't playing tournament golf week after week, if he had there is no way he would have come so close to winning. And it was a bit of a one off, had he won that it would go down as one of those freak things in sport that is not likely to ever be repeated. A bit like Leicester winning the premiership.

I don't think you realise the level of fitness training that the likes of the top pros such as McElroy, Woods et al put in. One of the main reasons Woods has had so many injuries and has had to have so many surgeries is because of the amount of strain he has put on his back & knees due to the amount of physical exertion in trying to hit the ball a long way. Just because a sportsman isn't running doesn't mean there is no kind of physical exertion. By your logic then goal keepers aren't sportsmen because they do very little running if any.

Sure Stanley Mathews played professional football up until the age of 50. Ok fitness wasn't as important back then but neither was it for golf.

I would say Gary lineker could still do a job at 60 as let's face it all he used to do was just goal hang anyway
[Post edited 24 Jun 2020 15:21]
Golf on 15:15 - Jun 24 with 1666 viewsBluefish

Golf on 14:57 - Jun 24 by Herbivore

That just doesn't work though does it? He would have been invited as a past winner as opposed to have qualified. Gary Lineker or whoever would need to be picked to the team and take a place in a team game. If he has a bad day he lets the whole team down. An old golfer can just go round for fun and hope to have a good day. Footballers play in one off masters games in their 60s because they are a one off. Osman is still absolutely class and better than many in their 30s but he couldn't do it regularly

Poll: Who has performed the worst but oddly loved the most?
Blog: [Blog] Long Live King George

Golf on 15:29 - Jun 24 with 1630 viewsRadlett_blue

Golf on 15:12 - Jun 24 by Enigma_Blue

The thing with Tom Watson back then was he wasn't playing tournament golf week after week, if he had there is no way he would have come so close to winning. And it was a bit of a one off, had he won that it would go down as one of those freak things in sport that is not likely to ever be repeated. A bit like Leicester winning the premiership.

I don't think you realise the level of fitness training that the likes of the top pros such as McElroy, Woods et al put in. One of the main reasons Woods has had so many injuries and has had to have so many surgeries is because of the amount of strain he has put on his back & knees due to the amount of physical exertion in trying to hit the ball a long way. Just because a sportsman isn't running doesn't mean there is no kind of physical exertion. By your logic then goal keepers aren't sportsmen because they do very little running if any.

Sure Stanley Mathews played professional football up until the age of 50. Ok fitness wasn't as important back then but neither was it for golf.

I would say Gary lineker could still do a job at 60 as let's face it all he used to do was just goal hang anyway
[Post edited 24 Jun 2020 15:21]

Gary Lineker had recently given up golf as a result of arthritis so I doubt he'll be doing any sort of job that doesn't involve sitting on a sofa.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Golf on 15:49 - Jun 24 with 1607 viewsHerbivore

Golf on 15:15 - Jun 24 by Bluefish

That just doesn't work though does it? He would have been invited as a past winner as opposed to have qualified. Gary Lineker or whoever would need to be picked to the team and take a place in a team game. If he has a bad day he lets the whole team down. An old golfer can just go round for fun and hope to have a good day. Footballers play in one off masters games in their 60s because they are a one off. Osman is still absolutely class and better than many in their 30s but he couldn't do it regularly

"An old golfer can just go round for fun and hope to have a good day" - exactly, because that's what you do when engaging in a passtime. And he only nearly won it as well!

Golf on 16:16 - Jun 24 with 1585 viewsjeera

Golf on 15:49 - Jun 24 by Herbivore

"An old golfer can just go round for fun and hope to have a good day" - exactly, because that's what you do when engaging in a passtime. And he only nearly won it as well!

I'm with you on this one!

See also fishing, chess...

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024