Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Luke Hyam released by Southend. 13:11 - Jun 24 with 1511 viewsITFC_Forever

In other news, he’ll be 29 in October!!
[Post edited 24 Jun 2020 13:12]

P 1123, W 500, D 287, L 336, F 1704, A 1356
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

Luke Hyam released by Southend. on 13:15 - Jun 24 with 1484 viewsLibero

Sad, I think he did a decent job for us and despite being limited was a useful player for the squad. Obviously with Downes coming through playing the same role in a much more expansive way there was no future for him here, but I'd like to have seen him make a crack of it elsewhere.

He never really got going at Southend, I'd bet that unfortunately that's probably him done in the pro game.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2020 13:16]
Luke Hyam released by Southend. on 13:16 - Jun 24 with 1474 viewsRadlett_blue

Given the financial uncertainty facing the whole Football League (and top tiers of non League) there will be a huge number of players being released this summer.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Luke Hyam released by Southend. on 13:37 - Jun 24 with 1363 viewsclive_baker

I've never really been convinced by him as a player, before even getting to his injury record. He never demonstrated any particularly redeemable assets to justify his existence in the Championship. He's not creative, not great with the ball, doesn't pose a goal threat, not especially quick or strong in the air, never really read the game like a Skuse does either.

Despite that, he's done well to have carved out a bit of a niche as this combative, ankle biter in the middle of the park. I think he benefited massively here from being 'one of our own', putting an opponent on their arse early on and walking like he was carrying 2 rolls of carpet which all went some way to making a case, albeit a weak one, for his involvement. When you couple that with his inability to stay fit it's always going to be a tough sell for someone to allocate their budget on him at League 1 or 2 IMO.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Luke Hyam released by Southend. on 13:48 - Jun 24 with 1313 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Makes you wonder if he'll play again. So many in a similar boat I expect.
Luke Hyam released by Southend. on 14:04 - Jun 24 with 1246 viewsHerbivore

Luke Hyam released by Southend. on 13:37 - Jun 24 by clive_baker

I've never really been convinced by him as a player, before even getting to his injury record. He never demonstrated any particularly redeemable assets to justify his existence in the Championship. He's not creative, not great with the ball, doesn't pose a goal threat, not especially quick or strong in the air, never really read the game like a Skuse does either.

Despite that, he's done well to have carved out a bit of a niche as this combative, ankle biter in the middle of the park. I think he benefited massively here from being 'one of our own', putting an opponent on their arse early on and walking like he was carrying 2 rolls of carpet which all went some way to making a case, albeit a weak one, for his involvement. When you couple that with his inability to stay fit it's always going to be a tough sell for someone to allocate their budget on him at League 1 or 2 IMO.

Think that's maybe a tad harsh. Before the injury struggles he was a pretty useful and effective midfielder in a top half Championship side. I don't think he ever looked out of place in those days. He used the ball simply but effectively, he was never going to be a Pirlo but he didn't give it away too often either and his reading of the game, whilst no Skuse, was pretty decent. He wasn't really suited to playing higher up the pitch, which we tried to do with him after Skuse joined, and his limitations meant he was never going higher. That said, for a few years prior to his injury problems he was a solid performer in a much better Town side than we have now.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2020 14:30]

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Luke Hyam released by Southend. on 14:19 - Jun 24 with 1188 viewsclive_baker

Luke Hyam released by Southend. on 14:04 - Jun 24 by Herbivore

Think that's maybe a tad harsh. Before the injury struggles he was a pretty useful and effective midfielder in a top half Championship side. I don't think he ever looked out of place in those days. He used the ball simply but effectively, he was never going to be a Pirlo but he didn't give it away too often either and his reading of the game, whilst no Skuse, was pretty decent. He wasn't really suited to playing higher up the pitch, which we tried to do with him after Skuse joined, and his limitations meant he was never going higher. That said, for a few years prior to his injury problems he was a solid performer in a much better Town side than we have now.
[Post edited 24 Jun 2020 14:30]

Having re-read that it actually sounds a lot harsher than I anticipated! I think its so much about chance, there are many better footballers who come through our academy and never kick a ball for the 1st team than Hyam. I do think he was in the right place at the right time here to a large extent, and his combative nature seemed to find favour with Keane. After he left it went south for Hyam, and clearly injuries haven't helped him. It'll be very interested to see where he ends up. He couldn't have timed his unemployment at a worse time, sadly.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Luke Hyam released by Southend. on 14:34 - Jun 24 with 1136 viewsHerbivore

Luke Hyam released by Southend. on 14:19 - Jun 24 by clive_baker

Having re-read that it actually sounds a lot harsher than I anticipated! I think its so much about chance, there are many better footballers who come through our academy and never kick a ball for the 1st team than Hyam. I do think he was in the right place at the right time here to a large extent, and his combative nature seemed to find favour with Keane. After he left it went south for Hyam, and clearly injuries haven't helped him. It'll be very interested to see where he ends up. He couldn't have timed his unemployment at a worse time, sadly.

I do feel that any luck he had in breaking into the first team has been counterbalanced by the bad luck he's had for most of the last 4-5 years. I seem to recall at times in 2014/15 he looked really good in a three with Skuse and Bishop, but I think he then got injured again and after gjag he never looked like a Championship level player again. I don't think he ever had the talent to push on, but without the injuries I think he'd have carved out a decent career in the Championship, not with a big club but knocking about in the middle. Injuries have definitely ended up ruining him and it's hard to see him having a career from here.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Luke Hyam released by Southend. on 15:17 - Jun 24 with 1036 viewsChrisd

Luke Hyam released by Southend. on 14:19 - Jun 24 by clive_baker

Although you do need talent to make it as a professional, luck plays a huge role too.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Login to get fewer ads

Luke Hyam released by Southend. on 15:37 - Jun 24 with 981 viewsBig_Jase

I think he might find his level with Stowmarket next season

Poll: Who would actually care if Norwich responded with a plane banner?

Luke Hyam released by Southend. on 15:41 - Jun 24 with 974 viewsRadlett_blue

Luke Hyam released by Southend. on 15:17 - Jun 24 by Chrisd

Although you do need talent to make it as a professional, luck plays a huge role too.

Yeah, I think a lot of fans take a footballer's career for granted, although it takes a huge amount of both perseverance & talent to make a long term career, even in the lower leagues. All players are only one bad tackle away from potentially the end of their career, although they can't think about that when they go onto the pitch.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024