Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Any Canada based blues here? 11:36 - Jun 25 with 3608 viewsOhDavidMcgoldrick

My wife has been offered an opportunity to work in Canada (specifically Vancouver), I am naturally a bit hesitant but don't want to hold her back,

Other than being a different culture/climate, what are the fundamental differences of Canada that may not be obvious before moving?

Cheers!

Poll: Should Lambert be sacked today?

Any Canada based blues here? on 11:40 - Jun 25 with 3129 viewsclive_baker

Fitting, given its Canada day today.

Go, Vancouver is absolutely class. If you had have said Toronto I would've been a bit 'meh', but Vancouver is fab. It's also predominantly English speaking, which is something not to be underestimated in terms of meeting people etc. Compared to somewhere like Montreal where you really need to be able to speak French.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Any Canada based blues here? on 11:43 - Jun 25 with 3094 viewsfooters

To add to Mr Baker's spot on point above, Canada is also extremely welcoming for migrants and the process is much easier/cheaper than emigrating elsewhere. So aside from it being a great place, you shouldn't have too much in the way of paperwork headaches.

And Vancouver's got a great cultural scene and is obviously only a pop over the border to some brilliant US states. And there's Whistler up in the mountains too :)
[Post edited 25 Jun 2020 11:44]

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Any Canada based blues here? on 11:52 - Jun 25 with 3065 viewsBlueNomad

My favourite city in the world. Wish I had emigrated there when I was younger. Although I don’t know your particular situation I would say go like a shot unless there are compelling reasons not to. Everything you could possibly want is within reach.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2020 11:55]
Any Canada based blues here? on 12:00 - Jun 25 with 3034 viewsSwansea_Blue

I'd tell her to go for it. Think of all the things you'll be able to get up to when she's gone
[Post edited 25 Jun 2020 12:00]

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Any Canada based blues here? on 12:13 - Jun 25 with 3001 viewsOhDavidMcgoldrick

Any Canada based blues here? on 11:52 - Jun 25 by BlueNomad

My favourite city in the world. Wish I had emigrated there when I was younger. Although I don’t know your particular situation I would say go like a shot unless there are compelling reasons not to. Everything you could possibly want is within reach.
[Post edited 25 Jun 2020 11:55]

We have no kids as yet (planning to in the next couple of years), the only tie we have is one side of our family who we would miss,

But we are outdoorsy people and love skiing etc, so it is certainly foreseeable.

I guess it is something you would have to throw yourself into 100% and go from there in making new friends etc

Any Canada based blues here? on 12:14 - Jun 25 with 2997 viewsFixed_It

My son lived and worked on Vancouver a while back - absolutely loved it!

Ready! Steady! Cook!
Poll: Club v. Country - which comes first for you?

Any Canada based blues here? on 12:18 - Jun 25 with 2984 viewsbluelagos

Those quality of life city surveys always put Vancouver at or near the top.

Culturally - Canada is a very egalitarian society - very progressive in it's outlook.

If it were me, there'd not be a lot to think about. Blighty will still be here for you to return to as/when.

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Any Canada based blues here? on 12:20 - Jun 25 with 2977 viewsfooters

Any Canada based blues here? on 12:13 - Jun 25 by OhDavidMcgoldrick

We have no kids as yet (planning to in the next couple of years), the only tie we have is one side of our family who we would miss,

But we are outdoorsy people and love skiing etc, so it is certainly foreseeable.

I guess it is something you would have to throw yourself into 100% and go from there in making new friends etc

A friend of mine moved to a tiny village just outside Whistler a few years ago, with no real skills after leaving uni. He found a guy who'd take him on and teach him joinery. So now he just spends all day making log cabins out in the wilderness and absolutely loves it. His quality of life has improved dramatically and he reckons the pace of life is much better there too.

Obviously a very different situation to yours, but does go to show how open-minded and welcoming the Canadian people are.

footers QC - Prosecution Barrister, Hasketon Law Chambers
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Login to get fewer ads

Any Canada based blues here? on 12:35 - Jun 25 with 2946 viewsfactual_blue

People are polite.

All the best (non-English) musicians come from Canada.

Magnificent scenery.

And Vancouver is a great city.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Any Canada based blues here? on 13:02 - Jun 25 with 2891 viewsKeno

Dont forget you'll have to learn the Canadian national Anthem

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Any Canada based blues here? on 14:16 - Jun 25 with 2820 viewsSE1blue

First up, congratulations to your wife! What an opportunity. Vancouver is sheer rugged, natural beauty. It's very laid back and perfect for a young family. I'm in Toronto (made the move early 2019) and I'd love to live there one day

I'm laughing at the person who suggested Toronto is 'meh' - maybe they didn't make the most of it. It is very different from Vancouver but both depend on what you want. Toronto is very much a career city with that rat race feel and similar to London in cost and lifestyle. However, there is so much to do in, and just outside of the city - I love Toronto.

You'll find many differences in Canada but all are manageable.

Canadians are extremely welcoming of any new arrivals. They're patriotic but not in a 'we're the best' USA style, but in a "we want you to be part of something really good" kind of way. It's considered a cultural mosaic here. Sure, racism still exists but Canadians are far, far more embracing of all cultures, faiths, LGBTQ+ etc.

One of the first things you'll notice is the sheer size of the country. You can drive for 6 hours and not even leave a province. The air is clean, even in cities like Toronto and the summers are frigging amazing. Sure the winters are harsh but you'll find stuff to do that makes you enjoy them.

Houses and flats (condos) are generally bigger and nicer here but equally as expensive as England.

The two major mobile phone providers are Bell and Rogers and are in competition to see who can give the worst service. I quickly realised I was spoilt for choice and packages in England. Same goes for TV packages, they are expensive and limited unless you go for the most expensive package.

The food here is incredible. You will find it hard to order a pub meal in the UK after experiencing what Canada has to offer when dining out. If you like fish or meat you are coming to the promised land. I would leave my wife for a packet of Maple bacon...

Customer service is incredible. Remember to tip and that tax will be added to anything you buy here.

Craft beers are amazing. I tried to write a blog reviewing the different types, there are thousands, but gave up as there are too many good ones. Supermarkets are beginning to be allowed to sell beer and wine, but you generally have to go to the LCBO (government off licence). The LCBO is like Santa's Grotto of alcohol.

Some things can seem a little dated here still. Banks charge $3 for taking money from a cashpoint that is not their branch. Cheques are still required and requested for certain things but you get used to it.

Healthcare seems to be very good. It's less about managing numbers and more about being proactive and ensuring your long term health is good. Dentistry is second to none here.

Ice hockey is an excellent substitute for football. There's a team in blue and white in Toronto, who suck just like Ipswich if you want to maintain a depressed sporting outlook, but you probably want to support local. You used to be able to get free premier league football here but that changed this year. You can get it through DAZN.

Celebrity culture and politics are not the everyday topics here. This is one of the things I enjoy most about Canada. Sure you could probably find that stuff if its your thing, but the tabloid press here isn't what it is in the UK at all.

Canadians are incredibly friendly and all the jokes about them saying 'sorry' are true. I had a bus journey where the bus drivers door wouldn't shut properly and kept banging throughout the bus ride. Without being asked, half a dozen people on the bus tried to help fix it, even though we were all on our way to work. The bus driver was saying sorry for the 'noise', the passengers were saying 'sorry' they couldn't fix it. They are just very down to earth people.

I can't see myself ever moving back to the UK. I thoroughly encourage you and your wife to make the jump. From a personal point of view, there are times when I really, really miss my family and friends but this is a better quality of life than I ever would have had in the UK.

If you think of anything specific you want to know, please ask. I am the other side of the country but will help in any way I can.

Blog: D-I-V-O-R-C-E

Any Canada based blues here? on 14:18 - Jun 25 with 2812 viewsPendejo

Regularly ranks highly in quality of life surveys, not as crazy as Merica, Queen is still Head of State... So it's basically still British even if there are those who parle French.

Forrest, Yallop, De Vos and Peters not forgetting William Shatner!

He'll I've convinced myself to come with you.

Go for it.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Any Canada based blues here? on 18:51 - Jun 25 with 2668 viewstractorboy54

Went there for a week for my 50th.
Then on to Vancouver Island (OMG).
Seattle(4hrs by train £50)
Seriously-no brainer.
Go-you wont regret it!
Any Canada based blues here? on 18:57 - Jun 25 with 2660 viewsjeera

I always think anyone who gets the opportunity to live/work abroad should grab it.

Life's too short to feck about and if you don't like it you'll be allowed back.

Sure, job security to take into consideration etc, but if you're at an age where you can take a few chances, you gotta go for it.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Any Canada based blues here? on 19:31 - Jun 25 with 2605 viewsAce_High1

Go for it, sounds like a great opportunity.
Any Canada based blues here? on 19:52 - Jun 25 with 2579 viewsKievthegreat

Any Canada based blues here? on 14:16 - Jun 25 by SE1blue

First up, congratulations to your wife! What an opportunity. Vancouver is sheer rugged, natural beauty. It's very laid back and perfect for a young family. I'm in Toronto (made the move early 2019) and I'd love to live there one day

I'm laughing at the person who suggested Toronto is 'meh' - maybe they didn't make the most of it. It is very different from Vancouver but both depend on what you want. Toronto is very much a career city with that rat race feel and similar to London in cost and lifestyle. However, there is so much to do in, and just outside of the city - I love Toronto.

You'll find many differences in Canada but all are manageable.

Canadians are extremely welcoming of any new arrivals. They're patriotic but not in a 'we're the best' USA style, but in a "we want you to be part of something really good" kind of way. It's considered a cultural mosaic here. Sure, racism still exists but Canadians are far, far more embracing of all cultures, faiths, LGBTQ+ etc.

One of the first things you'll notice is the sheer size of the country. You can drive for 6 hours and not even leave a province. The air is clean, even in cities like Toronto and the summers are frigging amazing. Sure the winters are harsh but you'll find stuff to do that makes you enjoy them.

Houses and flats (condos) are generally bigger and nicer here but equally as expensive as England.

The two major mobile phone providers are Bell and Rogers and are in competition to see who can give the worst service. I quickly realised I was spoilt for choice and packages in England. Same goes for TV packages, they are expensive and limited unless you go for the most expensive package.

The food here is incredible. You will find it hard to order a pub meal in the UK after experiencing what Canada has to offer when dining out. If you like fish or meat you are coming to the promised land. I would leave my wife for a packet of Maple bacon...

Customer service is incredible. Remember to tip and that tax will be added to anything you buy here.

Craft beers are amazing. I tried to write a blog reviewing the different types, there are thousands, but gave up as there are too many good ones. Supermarkets are beginning to be allowed to sell beer and wine, but you generally have to go to the LCBO (government off licence). The LCBO is like Santa's Grotto of alcohol.

Some things can seem a little dated here still. Banks charge $3 for taking money from a cashpoint that is not their branch. Cheques are still required and requested for certain things but you get used to it.

Healthcare seems to be very good. It's less about managing numbers and more about being proactive and ensuring your long term health is good. Dentistry is second to none here.

Ice hockey is an excellent substitute for football. There's a team in blue and white in Toronto, who suck just like Ipswich if you want to maintain a depressed sporting outlook, but you probably want to support local. You used to be able to get free premier league football here but that changed this year. You can get it through DAZN.

Celebrity culture and politics are not the everyday topics here. This is one of the things I enjoy most about Canada. Sure you could probably find that stuff if its your thing, but the tabloid press here isn't what it is in the UK at all.

Canadians are incredibly friendly and all the jokes about them saying 'sorry' are true. I had a bus journey where the bus drivers door wouldn't shut properly and kept banging throughout the bus ride. Without being asked, half a dozen people on the bus tried to help fix it, even though we were all on our way to work. The bus driver was saying sorry for the 'noise', the passengers were saying 'sorry' they couldn't fix it. They are just very down to earth people.

I can't see myself ever moving back to the UK. I thoroughly encourage you and your wife to make the jump. From a personal point of view, there are times when I really, really miss my family and friends but this is a better quality of life than I ever would have had in the UK.

If you think of anything specific you want to know, please ask. I am the other side of the country but will help in any way I can.

You're a cruel man suggesting he follow the Leafs.
Any Canada based blues here? on 20:01 - Jun 25 with 2562 viewstextbackup

just say "craig forest" everywhere you go

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

Any Canada based blues here? on 21:46 - Jun 25 with 2497 viewsSE1blue

Any Canada based blues here? on 19:52 - Jun 25 by Kievthegreat

You're a cruel man suggesting he follow the Leafs.

Haha. I did pre-empt it with a warning.

You can't get tickets for the Leafs without selling a kidney or travelling to see them play away. I went to see the Marlies (their feeder team) and that was an amazing experience.

Any Canada based blues here? on 02:53 - Jun 26 with 2390 viewsKievthegreat

Any Canada based blues here? on 21:46 - Jun 25 by SE1blue

Haha. I did pre-empt it with a warning.

You can't get tickets for the Leafs without selling a kidney or travelling to see them play away. I went to see the Marlies (their feeder team) and that was an amazing experience.

Yeah, some friends went to Toronto and were saying they'd try a Leafs game. I then suggested they look at the prices. Suffice to say they didn't get tickets!

Not surprising prices though given the size of the arena and how hockey mad they are out there, it's equivalent to having all the football fans in Manchester supporting 1 team playing out of a stadium 1/3rd the size of Old Trafford. Pretty certain if you lived in Toronto you could probably get better value for money flying down to Miami and getting lower bowl seats than literally sitting anywhere in Toronto.
Any Canada based blues here? on 03:06 - Jun 26 with 2384 viewsIPS_wich

Any Canada based blues here? on 18:57 - Jun 25 by jeera

I always think anyone who gets the opportunity to live/work abroad should grab it.

Life's too short to feck about and if you don't like it you'll be allowed back.

Sure, job security to take into consideration etc, but if you're at an age where you can take a few chances, you gotta go for it.

100% this - I got the chance to move to Perth when I was 39 - wish I'd had the chance to go earlier before we had kids.

Been here almost seven years and love it - no regrets at all. Yes, it requires an effort to build a new friends network but the overall experience is incredible.

I chose to support the local Aussie Rules and they are as equally crap and disappointing as ITFC - it actually feels quite a nice familiar feeling to have your hopes dashed after only 10% of the new season has been played.
Any Canada based blues here? on 08:16 - Jun 26 with 2312 viewsHerbivore

Vancouver is meant to be amazing and it's somewhere we've considered moving to and may well do so in a few years. Property isn't the cheapest but I think wages are decent to compensate for that. Amazing nature, close to some cool US cities, and itself is a very cool city. Do it.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Any Canada based blues here? on 09:23 - Jun 26 with 2268 viewsWacko

You should go. But a couple of negatives from 2 Brit friends who independently moved there 3-4 years ago (don't know each other): they're both beginning to get bored of the slowish pace of life and lack of culture. Plus it's pricey - it's dubbed Hongcouver on account of all the rich Hong Kong businessmen snapping up property and ordinary folk are getting priced.

So go with an open mind, know that nowhere is perfect and put the effort in early doors to make friends

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Any Canada based blues here? on 10:26 - Jun 26 with 2248 viewsOhDavidMcgoldrick

Any Canada based blues here? on 09:23 - Jun 26 by Wacko

You should go. But a couple of negatives from 2 Brit friends who independently moved there 3-4 years ago (don't know each other): they're both beginning to get bored of the slowish pace of life and lack of culture. Plus it's pricey - it's dubbed Hongcouver on account of all the rich Hong Kong businessmen snapping up property and ordinary folk are getting priced.

So go with an open mind, know that nowhere is perfect and put the effort in early doors to make friends

Thanks all for the comments, I think we will start looking into the practicalities and real world costs etc then if it all stacks up make the move.

Although knowing COVID-19 things will change over the next couple of months!

The big appeal to us is the outdoor world, skiing in winter, hiking in summer, more space, perceived friendlier people.

I like the UK but I do wonder if the housing crisis is going to change the landscape of some our nicer areas over the next 10 years. For example, our friends live near Braintree and previous green areas are being eaten up continuously for housing or industrial purposes.

Scary looking at a map of London and seeing the overspill compared to Canadian cities!

Any Canada based blues here? on 18:06 - Jun 26 with 2167 viewsLibero

Any Canada based blues here? on 20:01 - Jun 25 by textbackup

just say "craig forest" everywhere you go

I take your Craig Forest and raise you a Jason DeVos.
Any Canada based blues here? on 19:34 - Jun 26 with 2124 viewsSE1blue

Any Canada based blues here? on 10:26 - Jun 26 by OhDavidMcgoldrick

Thanks all for the comments, I think we will start looking into the practicalities and real world costs etc then if it all stacks up make the move.

Although knowing COVID-19 things will change over the next couple of months!

The big appeal to us is the outdoor world, skiing in winter, hiking in summer, more space, perceived friendlier people.

I like the UK but I do wonder if the housing crisis is going to change the landscape of some our nicer areas over the next 10 years. For example, our friends live near Braintree and previous green areas are being eaten up continuously for housing or industrial purposes.

Scary looking at a map of London and seeing the overspill compared to Canadian cities!

You've probably guessed that I am firmly in the 'go for it' camp here from my previous post, but don't think that major cities are not getting hit with rapidly growing populations and construction here.

I live in Midtown Toronto and it's turning into a downtown out of downtown with condos been thrown up everywhere. I am not sure what Vancouver is like on this front but Canada's popularity (especially with the Asian market) means many cities are rapidly growing. And it's not cheap.

BUT...if you are coming as you say for the outdoor life, the friendlier people and an overall better quality of life etc., look no further.

I love the UK and especially love England, there's so much I miss, but Canada is something else.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024