Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
what a football club Brentford have become 20:09 - Jun 26 with 3959 viewsMrTown

Such an efficient, well run football club.

Everything we should be looking to be.

I got laughed out of this place last year when I said how far away we were from then, looks a disparity now ay.

Poll: Would love to know the opinions on here now of Lambert genuinely?

what a football club Brentford have become on 20:25 - Jun 26 with 3185 viewsBloomBlue

But disbanding their youth setup saved them millions, is that what Town should do?
what a football club Brentford have become on 20:29 - Jun 26 with 3180 viewsjudespiveyg

Maybe, but I think there should be some kind of penalty for them and Wycombe for not running youth teams. It only harms English football if they're not going to produce any players for it.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

what a football club Brentford have become on 20:33 - Jun 26 with 3175 viewsMrTown

what a football club Brentford have become on 20:25 - Jun 26 by BloomBlue

But disbanding their youth setup saved them millions, is that what Town should do?

Clearly within the rules otherwise wouldn't be allowed to do it. They still have Brentford B, realistically the final stages of development and fine tuning to pass through to the first team.

Have their recruitment down to an absolute tee, both at home and abroad (predominately Denmark).

Have their style of play down to an absolute tee, beautiful/skilful/dynamic football team.

Fantastic club.

In regards to our academy, no, its our mere positive, but should be developed to play the same way as Brentford.
[Post edited 26 Jun 2020 20:39]

what a football club Brentford have become on 20:33 - Jun 26 with 3168 viewsMrTown

what a football club Brentford have become on 20:29 - Jun 26 by judespiveyg

Maybe, but I think there should be some kind of penalty for them and Wycombe for not running youth teams. It only harms English football if they're not going to produce any players for it.

Clearly within the rules and regs though.

what a football club Brentford have become on 20:34 - Jun 26 with 3168 viewsLibero

Seeing as the Academy is the one good thing about our club these days, no.
what a football club Brentford have become on 20:39 - Jun 26 with 3150 viewsjudespiveyg

what a football club Brentford have become on 20:33 - Jun 26 by MrTown

Clearly within the rules and regs though.

Yeah but I'd like to see the FA discourage it at least, just makes it easier for the top clubs to hoover up all the best talents.
I'd hate to see Ipswich close theirs, people always justify Brentford doing it because of the biggest clubs in London yet West Ham have always produced superb players.

I survived Ipswich 0-0 Burton

what a football club Brentford have become on 20:40 - Jun 26 with 3142 viewsMrTown

what a football club Brentford have become on 20:39 - Jun 26 by judespiveyg

Yeah but I'd like to see the FA discourage it at least, just makes it easier for the top clubs to hoover up all the best talents.
I'd hate to see Ipswich close theirs, people always justify Brentford doing it because of the biggest clubs in London yet West Ham have always produced superb players.

But even West Ham would even hoover up talent for Brentford.

Chelsea are literally round the corner who just gallop up each and every talent they possibly can.

what a football club Brentford have become on 21:02 - Jun 26 with 3077 views66notout

what a football club Brentford have become on 20:34 - Jun 26 by Libero

The standard of player coming through the Town academy will continue to fall in tandem with the club’s huge drop in status and the longer Lambert remains in situ the more damage that will be done. I fear we are miles away from the situation Evans envisaged with half the members of our strongest side being graduates.
Login to get fewer ads

what a football club Brentford have become on 21:09 - Jun 26 with 3060 viewsLibero

what a football club Brentford have become on 21:02 - Jun 26 by 66notout

The standard of player coming through the Town academy will continue to fall in tandem with the club’s huge drop in status and the longer Lambert remains in situ the more damage that will be done. I fear we are miles away from the situation Evans envisaged with half the members of our strongest side being graduates.

We’ve got a good crop at the moment and already have a whole host of Academy graduates involved in and around the first team squad regularly.

Any one that thinks we need to can the Academy needs their head testing.
what a football club Brentford have become on 21:16 - Jun 26 with 3024 viewsMrTown

what a football club Brentford have become on 21:09 - Jun 26 by Libero

We’ve got a good crop at the moment and already have a whole host of Academy graduates involved in and around the first team squad regularly.

Indeed, that is off the top of my head, the only bright spark right now. We have really good players coming through, will and can they be developed into first team regulars, that the next phase.

what a football club Brentford have become on 21:18 - Jun 26 with 3018 views66notout

what a football club Brentford have become on 21:09 - Jun 26 by Libero

Not suggesting that at all but the standard is bound to drop, this reducing the quality and, subsequently, their rate of progress.
what a football club Brentford have become on 21:22 - Jun 26 with 3007 viewsFootballpete

When I lived around that way I used to go to Griffin Park quite regularly, it felt a novelty going to watch a smaller club standing on the terracing. How times have changed.

I'll miss Griffin Park, great little ground.

Poll: Which Top Gear presenter is the biggest dickhead?

what a football club Brentford have become on 21:28 - Jun 26 with 2989 viewsLibero

what a football club Brentford have become on 21:18 - Jun 26 by 66notout

Not suggesting that at all but the standard is bound to drop, this reducing the quality and, subsequently, their rate of progress.

Paul Lambert has next to nothing to do with the Academy.
what a football club Brentford have become on 21:29 - Jun 26 with 2983 viewsBloomBlue

what a football club Brentford have become on 20:33 - Jun 26 by MrTown

Clearly within the rules otherwise wouldn't be allowed to do it. They still have Brentford B, realistically the final stages of development and fine tuning to pass through to the first team.

Have their recruitment down to an absolute tee, both at home and abroad (predominately Denmark).

Have their style of play down to an absolute tee, beautiful/skilful/dynamic football team.

Fantastic club.

In regards to our academy, no, its our mere positive, but should be developed to play the same way as Brentford.
[Post edited 26 Jun 2020 20:39]

I wasn't suggesting it's not within the rules asking if we should disband the youth team, personally I don't as I believe it's part of this clubs history and its the 'Ipswich way'

I know 2 life long Brentford fans who both think the Brentford approach has prevented them from actually getting promotion to the Prem. The Brentford approach is buy cheap with the aim of selling at a profit as soon as possible irrelevant of where the club is, without supplementing the team with their own youth players. Both are adamant if the club had kept some of the players for an extra season or 2 rather than sell irrelevant of league position they would have been promoted 5 or 6 years ago to the Prem. Will be interesting if the get there this season.
what a football club Brentford have become on 21:34 - Jun 26 with 2972 viewsStNeotsBlue

what a football club Brentford have become on 20:34 - Jun 26 by Libero

I was speaking to a mate the other day whose son plays for Posh's U15's. He was raving about our youngsters who gave them an absolute seeing to.
what a football club Brentford have become on 21:45 - Jun 26 with 2940 viewsDubtractor

Such a tedious point that is raised every time Brentford are mentioned. Just because Brentford decided to scrap their academy, it doesn't follow that any team wanting to use their recruitment approach also has to. Brentford have an average crowd of about 11k - their income from supporters will therefore be much lower than ours.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

what a football club Brentford have become on 21:50 - Jun 26 with 2918 viewsBloomBlue

what a football club Brentford have become on 21:45 - Jun 26 by Dubtractor

Such a tedious point that is raised every time Brentford are mentioned. Just because Brentford decided to scrap their academy, it doesn't follow that any team wanting to use their recruitment approach also has to. Brentford have an average crowd of about 11k - their income from supporters will therefore be much lower than ours.

I wasn't making that point but as you did, the reason why Brentford can recruit as they do from different countries is because of the money they save from not having a youth team. If they had the youth team they couldn't afford to have all the recruiting across Europe they have.
what a football club Brentford have become on 21:52 - Jun 26 with 2914 viewsMrTown

what a football club Brentford have become on 21:45 - Jun 26 by Dubtractor

Exactly, you've just hit the nail on the head.

Its all about structure, a model and working to that model. Brentford's model is fairly simple. Obviously the have a international approach, but they look at teams that punching way behind their budget and means, then they look for the players within who are excelling in that team, and are therefore able to compete with wages.

Then they get the spotlight to excel in this country and tend to be turned on for a real real profit.

It is such a successful model they have developed.

It can be summed up with Benrahma, spent a lot of time out of loan from Nice, picked him up for £2.5m, will be sold for £25m no doubt.
[Post edited 26 Jun 2020 21:54]

what a football club Brentford have become on 22:03 - Jun 26 with 2873 viewsDubtractor

what a football club Brentford have become on 21:50 - Jun 26 by BloomBlue

I wasn't making that point but as you did, the reason why Brentford can recruit as they do from different countries is because of the money they save from not having a youth team. If they had the youth team they couldn't afford to have all the recruiting across Europe they have.

"But disbanding their youth setup saved them millions, is that what Town should do?"

It is literally the exact point you were making.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.

what a football club Brentford have become on 22:05 - Jun 26 with 2867 viewsMrTown

what a football club Brentford have become on 21:50 - Jun 26 by BloomBlue

Just so you know, Brentford predominately run their recruitment using data analysis, based here in England.

It's the wonders of technology you see, you can see the world from a laptop and arm chair.

We are still sending scouts in disguise down to Maldon & Tiptree to see if there is anyone we can snip of for £1.50

what a football club Brentford have become on 22:08 - Jun 26 with 2861 viewsDubtractor

what a football club Brentford have become on 22:05 - Jun 26 by MrTown

Just so you know, Brentford predominately run their recruitment using data analysis, based here in England.

It's the wonders of technology you see, you can see the world from a laptop and arm chair.

We are still sending scouts in disguise down to Maldon & Tiptree to see if there is anyone we can snip of for £1.50

Or we sign players like Judge and Keane on decent wages, because they are already in the door, despite having no idea how to use them.

what a football club Brentford have become on 23:13 - Jun 26 with 2725 viewsSwansea_Blue

Not now for us, but as a point of principle why not if it works?

Football is a professional sport. You pay for the tools you need to get the job done. If it's cheaper/better to do that through getting your strategy around recruitment, coaching and management right, rather than playing the hopeful long game on kids, then what's the problem?

Fans mostly want to see results, and then some of those also want to see a certain playing philosophy. If an approach works within the rules to deliver at least one, or ideally two, of those things there's no problem.

(Nb. For us, it wouldn't work at this point in time as out recruitment, coaching and first team management are sh*te. Our strength and best football is in the yoofs.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

what a football club Brentford have become on 23:15 - Jun 26 with 2723 viewsPablokuqi

Buy cheap sell high. The cheap part is well beyond what we can spend. The way the academy system is set up we can't make money out of it as our very good players are being poached at 15/16. This will continue to happen as the system currently stands and as we languish in L1. Brentford have a successful set up not only with the transfer policy, but the data analytics and ultimately the way the team plays on the pitch which is a progressive modern passing possessive style of play. The gap between them and us is a chasm.
what a football club Brentford have become on 23:27 - Jun 26 with 2711 viewsbournemouthblue

what a football club Brentford have become on 23:15 - Jun 26 by Pablokuqi

Buy cheap sell high. The cheap part is well beyond what we can spend. The way the academy system is set up we can't make money out of it as our very good players are being poached at 15/16. This will continue to happen as the system currently stands and as we languish in L1. Brentford have a successful set up not only with the transfer policy, but the data analytics and ultimately the way the team plays on the pitch which is a progressive modern passing possessive style of play. The gap between them and us is a chasm.

We've lost several notable prospects to bigger clubs in recent seasons and been compensated but it only really covers a year's running costs

That's where it kills you

How much higher up the chain do you need to be to fend off the big clubs or is that simply impossible nowadays, given the facilities they can offer?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

what a football club Brentford have become on 23:39 - Jun 26 with 2689 viewsSwansea_Blue

what a football club Brentford have become on 23:15 - Jun 26 by Pablokuqi

It's not hought is it when you look what we've done over recent years. Buying cheap and selling high has earnt far more for us than the academy has. (Although the academy has stuck a few couple of players in the first squad, so their value isn't factored into that).

There's only Downes who we couldn't afford to buy. Dozzell too probably, but I'd arue he doesn't count as he hasn't showed much value to the first team yet. We wouldn't have missed him the last few years.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024